Are fresh markets a better value than Big C?

Hal65

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/life/living_health/30188702

The pesticides on our plates

A consumer network discovers dangerously high levels of chemicals in the vegetables we eat

In a move that will do little to promote Thailand’s continuing “Kitchen of the World” campaign, Consumer’s Handbook magazine and the Thailand Pesticide Alert Network, or Thai-PAN as it’s known for short, recently announced that many vegetables we buy suffer from a surfeit of pesticides.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3269779/

Agricultural Pesticide Management in Thailand: Situation and Population Health Risk

As an agricultural country and one of the world’s major food exporters, Thailand relies heavily on the use of pesticides to protect crops and increase yields. During the past decade, the Kingdom of Thailand has experienced an approximate four-fold increase in pesticide use.

One of the main obstacles to effective pesticide regulation in Thailand is the lack of a consolidated, uniform system designed specifically for pesticide management. This deficit has weakened the enforcement of existing regulations, resulting in misuse/overuse of pesticides, and consequently, increased environmental contamination and human exposure.

In addition, we provide our perspectives on the current state of pesticide management, the potential health effects of widespread, largely uncontrolled use of pesticides on the Thai people and ways to improve pesticide management in Thailand.

Due to physiological and behavioral differences, pesticide-related exposures and health effects among children are different, and often worse than exposures among adults. Children differ substantially from adults in terms of exposures, physiological factors, pharmacokinetics, metabolic efficiency, membrane permeability, binding and storage of xenobiotics, and pharmacodynamics (Needham and Sexton, 2000).

The older you get, I guess, the less impact this might have on you.  But for children, it's potentially a very big deal.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:54 PM, tropo said:

You think I dream about fresh markets at night? LOL

Yes, big restaurant chains have better suppliers than local market stall holders... and get better prices too. Sure, small Thai restaurants will be going down to local markets.

Can you imagine the purchasing manager of MK, or Fuji going down to the local fresh markets for his veggies? LOL

They get cheaper but of course not better. Do you think that they care about your health ?

And cheaper NEVER means better of course.

3 hours ago, abab said:

They get cheaper but of course not better. Do you think that they care about your health ?

And cheaper NEVER means better of course.

What is your point here?

I don't think anyone cares about your health - it's all about profit, whether it's the big supplier or a small stall at a market.

However, cheaper can be better. Both will be loaded with chemicals anyway.

Yes your right, never would have known that.
Thank god i have enough money not have to run a businesses in Thailand for my retirement fund, i like to enjoy life. thumbsup.gif
Makro is still not cheap for everything , don't be fooled
Up to me where i shop. wai2.gif

I went to Tops market , 99 baht for one, I went to Macro, same price for five, Indian Pomegranates

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Much cheaper at the markets, but beware the Falang element...... learn to read Thai numerical script!

Obviously I exclude say fresh fruit from behind Mikes which are tourist rip-offs.

Naklua market early is good. Nerm Plab Wan is a good market, a bit smelly and dirty but most are.

I used to see all the Ruskys at fruit market behind Mikes, Big Smiles didn't have a Clue they were being Robbed...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect