Changes at Samui Immigration

My accountant informs me that there is a new head of the local immigration office. Formerly he was quite comfortable and confident about how things worked there. That is no longer the case. He also tells me that my extension of permission to stay based on marriage will have to be changed (after 7 years) from being based on a non-immigrant B to a non-immigrant O. I would like to hear about what others may know about what is changing and what we should be ready for from Samui Immigration. Thank you.

If your B was for working and now you're not working you get an O for being married, what are your circumstances?

Working, retired or just staying here as you are married ?

Do you get it all done by your accountant or do it yourself etc?

Edited by overherebc

If you're renewing an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement, the visa you original used to enter Thailand would have expired long ago.

If you're changing the basis for getting an extension to marriage from something else, it's possible they want you to get a non-imm O visa at a nearby embassy or consulate as a first step, but once you are granted an extension of stay based on marriage, the visa will be allowed to expire and your continued presence in the country will be based on the extension, not the expired visa.

Visas are not renewed or extended.

It will be all about the money...?

I can only share my own experience, as that in over 10 years on Samui I never had to pay tea money or any kind of inflated price for any service offered by Samui immigration. Then again, I never had the pleasure to deal with the infamous 'birdman'...

That said, at my last extension based on employment in August I did get a visit at the office from some immigration officers a few days after applying, which was the first time ever. So apparently they do check a bit more thoroughly nowadays.

Hey Island guy,Why are you too lazy to go to immigration's yourself ? Do you need help because you might not entirely legal or is it just the lazy part ?

You are making assumptions that are not true, as I have been to the Immigration office each year I have been here. Are you too cheap to have an accountant? That is the kind of accusation you have just made. Is it any business of yours if others want to be lazy, manic, or somewhere in between? Have you anything to add to this thread beside this drivel?

If your B was for working and now you're not working you get an O for being married, what are your circumstances?

Working, retired or just staying here as you are married ?

Do you get it all done by your accountant or do it yourself etc?

Working still. Originally had a non-immigrant B. Extension of permission to stay after than visa period was originally based on work permit, then changed 7 years ago to being based on marriage. Now I am told I need to start over with an 'O',

I can only share my own experience, as that in over 10 years on Samui I never had to pay tea money or any kind of inflated price for any service offered by Samui immigration. Then again, I never had the pleasure to deal with the infamous 'birdman'...

That said, at my last extension based on employment in August I did get a visit at the office from some immigration officers a few days after applying, which was the first time ever. So apparently they do check a bit more thoroughly nowadays.

Has The Birdman gone? Must be the richest man in Thailand.

No! the "Birdman" is still there, but he's not the # 1 in the chain....he's just the "frontman"....many would never meet the chief....

I have never had to pay "Tea money either" and generally it has always been a good experience,,,, thumbsup.gif

No! the "Birdman" is still there, but he's not the # 1 in the chain....he's just the "frontman"....many would never meet the chief....

I have never had to pay "Tea money either" and generally it has always been a good experience,,,, thumbsup.gif

I was there yesterday and the staff said that Nok had 'retired'.

Just back from a visa run to Penang, had to change my Non-B to a Non-O after three years of extensions to the Non-B based on marriage. The only option I had was to extend based on working, which was possible but gathering all the paperwork and tax forms is a pain, and I was told to expect a visit to the company by Immigration if I went that route. So much easier to extend based on marriage that I opted to change to the Non-O.

Did my 90-days address report today - woow, done in hardly 10 minutes - Samui Immigration has changed amazingly since end of October, and to the much better; being well organized with only few people waiting, and no mess at all. thumbsup.gif

Visa extensions is now by the window on the side, and inside sits 4-5 front-office officers behind computers. I walked straight in for my 90-day, handed over my passport with a small slip with my address, the officer smiled, gave me a queue-number and said, »Please wait 15 minutes« – hardly 10 minutes later the lady in Visa-extension held my passport out the window and smiled to me. wai.gif

Did my 90-days address report today - woow, done in hardly 10 minutes - Samui Immigration has changed amazingly since end of October, and to the much better; being well organized with only few people waiting, and no mess at all. thumbsup.gif

Visa extensions is now by the window on the side, and inside sits 4-5 front-office officers behind computers. I walked straight in for my 90-day, handed over my passport with a small slip with my address, the officer smiled, gave me a queue-number and said, »Please wait 15 minutes« – hardly 10 minutes later the lady in Visa-extension held my passport out the window and smiled to me. wai.gif

Same for me last monday, i really did'nt have time to open my book for reading.thumbsup.gif

Wall next to the door that forms the side of the building now has windows (2) so they can check stuff and issue numbers away from the entrance I was there at 7:45, had a walk around alone and then saw a sign in English only stating what copies are required for an extension. Visa, info page of passport. entry stamp and TM.6.Fella next door was open but AWOL so went over the road and they done three pages by scanning the entry stamp page on my passport and the entry on my TM.6 onto one page... 30 Baht though.

I've a theory on this, but given the current state of affairs I should perhaps keep it to myself.

Back at 8 and a fella was sitting at the table directly in front of the new side window where I had previously seen was the closest point with a seat. Nice fella, from the UK. Opened up the window 8:25 and the fella sitting next to me was up like a bullet. I got third place. First five numbers called at 8:30 and this time I was in fifth place. Office or rather reception is now so small that it will only fit five people if they squeeze up a bit. After a while one of the ladies called out number 3, I'd been given a card on getting 3rd place, a badge of honour, so twisted through to the front. 3 people sitting on a long desk structure directly in front of the door. Everything has been pre checked by then so just a matter of giving it a glance handing to the cashier in the centre. She takes the money from both sides and writes out receipts for it.

By the time that is done there is a couple of numbers taped to your passport and you get told to go over to a desk on the right hand side. I did ask the lady if she didn't one of them and she just sent me away in a polite manner. The fella at that desk had a rather good looking web-cam pointing outward. By this time the next batch of five people had been called to the place was rammed. He took my passport and tore off the extra number handing it to me. I asked if he wanted to take a photo and he said 'do already'. Given the height of the web-cam there is no way is was a clear background but was good enough I guess.

Went back out and the table I'd been siting at was empty with the same fella opposite. He was on ED and was told 30 minutes while I was told 20 minutes. So we just sat there chatting away again until some Thai lady started shouting incoherently. Turned out it was indeed so looked at the clock on the outside wall and 15 minutes had passed. Exchanged my ticket for my passport which is identified by the other number still being attached by tape. That was removed so off you are on your jolly well way.

Just a few observations. I was the fifth person to pay and they were already scratching around for change, looking in handbags etc. This has been going on for years and years. Most everyone is after an extension which costs 1900 Baht. Applicants will almost certainly hand over 2 x 1000 Baht notes again and again, week in and week out. It could be reasonably argued that keeping a float in an institution such as is, is not a good idea and I would agree to a point. I then thought why the staff don't just ensure they have plenty of change on them so as to make life easier. They actually do all have lots of change which they dole out from time to time. Having to go back to their handbag to 'check' for change is a good excuse to 'check' for new messages on their smartphones.

Seems pretty smooth but I only really had to interact for the first few minutes after opening and close to the front of a queue. Didn't seem appear to be going as crazy as other times but I have seen it more crowded. It's hard to tell as there are now lots of seats and tables around with most being covered. Change for the better in my view.

Having the exact figure there been a no brainer for years

But they have never not found change for as many times as I've been there. I always take exact money in 100s which could put a spanner in the works for a reason to check smartphones.

Having the exact figure there been a no brainer for years

But they have never not found change for as many times as I've been there. I always take exact money in 100s which could put a spanner in the works for a reason to check smartphones.

First thing to break on a songtaw is the horn and the first this to break on a Thai lady's' handbag is the zip.

If you're renewing an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement, the visa you original used to enter Thailand would have expired long ago.

If you're changing the basis for getting an extension to marriage from something else, it's possible they want you to get a non-imm O visa at a nearby embassy or consulate as a first step, but once you are granted an extension of stay based on marriage, the visa will be allowed to expire and your continued presence in the country will be based on the extension, not the expired visa.

What are you talking about? I get my visa extended every year.

He's one of these guys who are saying you used the wrong word by saying "Visa" .... these people want everyone to use the correct term .. We all know what it means....when people say "visa" instead of "extension".... coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

No you don't. You get your permission to stay extended.

Your Visa died long ago.

He's one of these guys who are saying you used the wrong word by saying "Visa" .... these people want everyone to use the correct term .. We all know what it means....when people say "visa" instead of "extension".... coffee1.gifrolleyes.gif

The problem is that not everyone knows what it means when using the wrong term.

It just adds to the confusion and leads to the wrong advise being given in the Visa Forum.

Some of you people ought to get a life,Samuijimmy is right, it's people like suradit69 who try to confuse. What is a Visa if it's not permission to enter the country and stay for it's validity? Extending your stay is extending the validity of the Visa, therefore in that instance it doesn't expire!