Is there a new requirement for a "retirement" visa?

A friend of mine informed me that he was instructed to have 1 million baht, rather than the typical 800,000 baht, in a bank account to qualify for a "retirement" visa. Has anyone else heard this as well? Is this a new requirement? Thank you.

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa.

Anything else that might be called that requires 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 monthly income or a combination of both.

Not the old chestnut again does it mater what people call it really we all know what it is just diffrent terminology is all

• Like 2

False information.

But I have a theory about how misinformation like that could spread.

If you're using the 800K baht in the bank method for retirement extensions, that money needs to be seasoned for two (first time) or three months before applying for the annual extension based on retirement.

Many retirees SPEND directly from that account, and top up annually.

So if you're doing that, 800K two or three months before won't work. It will need to be more if the account is to still show over 800K at application day and to never go under the 800K during that seasoning period.

So most people probably spend less than 200K in two or three months, so that's my theory as to how such a rumor may have started.

Edited by Jingthing

People don't know what a retirement visa is and the wrong terminology confuses people who make mistakes based on their misunderstanding. A visa is a visa and an extension of stay is just that. The requirements for each are different.

• Like 2

People don't know what a retirement visa is and the wrong terminology confuses people who make mistakes based on their misunderstanding. A visa is a visa and an extension of stay is just that. The requirements for each are different.

True that.

My post was about annual extensions based on retirement obtained in Thailand.

The financial requirements for O-A visas in home countries also haven't changed.

No and No.

-------------------------

Correct

The only "change" that might be called a new change is that when using the combination method of a pension income and a Thai Bank account balance, immigration wants the bank account to be seasoned for 3 months.

And that "new change" has been asked for since at least back in 2014 or at least 2 years ago

Edited by IMA_FARANG

There is no such thing as a Retirement Visa.

Anything else that might be called that requires 800,000 Baht in the bank or 65,000 monthly income or a combination of both.

that's why immigration stamps twice "RETIREMENT" in your passport but calls it "extension of stay" coffee1.gif

post-35218-0-00802100-1453341616_thumb.j

There are two stamps on the page that say "Retirement." Can you find the word "Visa" on the page anywhere? If not, why would you persist in calling it a "retirement visa?" It is clearly identified as an extension of stay.

• Like 1

Silly rumour.

When it does go up, I would predict it will be a heck of a lot more than 200k. Last time it doubled as I recall.

The last raise was GRANDFATHERED for people on the old levels.

Doesn't mean the next one will or in fact if the grandfathered one is made null and void