What is happening to gas prices in thailand after the latest drop?

I never thought oil prices would drop so low as they have. It's not finished yet either according to many analysis. Any ideas on how low gas prices will become in Thailand?

I suppose offshore workers are not yet affected by the price drop but I suspect it will be bound to happen.

I wonder if the powers that control things at the top have a plan in place for all this stuff?

gas prices will continue to drop as they did over the last months.

offshore workers are being laid off and wells being closed as we post.

what plan should the "powers" have in your opinion? the oil price drop doesn't create much problems for Thailand.

I presume we are talking about Petrol ? Gas is something that is invisible and runs through pipes, or in Thailand's case is stored in metal tanks under the cooker.

Great. I thought he was talking about cooking gas. I was going to say I haven't seen any price drop.

I doubt gasoline (a.k.a., petrol) will drop much further for any of the fuel varieties. Saw an article yesterday that the govt is seriously thinking to increase the excise tax on vehicle fuels to replenish the fund they use to help keep fuel prices stable/lower when oil prices go up. My vehicle uses diesel....so nice to see it under 20 baht/liter compared to recent history of being around 30 baht/liter.

By the way, here's the current prices of vehicle fuel in the Bangkok area from the Thailand Energy Policy and Planning Office....prices are a little higher outside of the Bangkok area. And sorry, they don't use the word petrol...they use the words gasoline, gasohol, and diesel.

post-55970-0-97416100-1453382707_thumb.j

I presume we are talking about Petrol ? Gas is something that is invisible and runs through pipes, or in Thailand's case is stored in metal tanks under the cooker.

Great. I thought he was talking about cooking gas. I was going to say I haven't seen any price drop.

All educated Europeans like myself know that there is a language difference between American and British English. So, gas could indeed mean petrol.

I doubt gasoline (a.k.a., petrol) will drop much further for any of the fuel varieties. Saw an article yesterday that the govt is seriously thinking to increase the excise tax on vehicle fuels to replenish the fund they use to help keep fuel prices stable/lower when oil prices go up. My vehicle uses diesel....so nice to see it under 20 baht/liter compared to recent history of being around 30 baht/liter.

By the way, here's the current prices of vehicle fuel in the Bangkok area from the Thailand Energy Policy and Planning Office....prices are a little higher outside of the Bangkok area. And sorry, they don't use the word petrol...they use the words gasoline, gasohol, and diesel.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Got news for you; prices are cheaper in Chiang Mai than they are in BKK.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Got news for you; prices are cheaper in Chiang Mai than they are in BKK.

Generally the posts I see about prices and when I drive to provinces outside of the Bangkok Metro area the prices go up a little....always heard that was due to transport costs from the refineries in the Bangkok/Chonburi/Rayong part of Thailand.

All educated Europeans like myself know that there is a language difference between American and British English. So, gas could indeed mean petrol.

I'm an educated European too. Gas means gas. Gasoline is an American word for petrol (petroleum spirit)

OK let's make that gasoline.

I often wonder why people spend so much time "speculating" in life..(no offense meant). It's everywhere around us particularly when it comes to politics,....hours and hours upon hours trying to forecast the future when all we have to do is get on with our lives and let all this stuff play itself out...we will have all the answers then.

I often wonder why people spend so much time "speculating" in life..(no offense meant). It's everywhere around us particularly when it comes to politics,....hours and hours upon hours trying to forecast the future when all we have to do is get on with our lives and let all this stuff play itself out...we will have all the answers then.

So, you are speculating on why people speculate......I like it.

Actually where I live near Chiang Mai. cooking gas has dropped in price. last year it was 410 Baht a bottle. Two weeks ago we got a refill from our usual place and was charged 390 Baht.

I'm an educated European too. Gas means gas. Gasoline is an American word for petrol (petroleum spirit)

Petroleum is a jelly used to lube buttholes among other things but, you've been assbackwards before. whistling.gif

I agree dotp. I have to fill up my car and bike now and then with gasahol 91 , I have to put fuel in , if it has dropped in price or gone up in price since last week by 50 satang per litre I can't change that , my options are put in fuel or stay at home.

How about the prices for plastic and other man made fibre products.

Auto. fuel is the dregs left over after the oil has been refined but it is also the most obvious product of oil.

Has any one noticed any reduction in the price of plastic products I wonder?

There has been massive layoffs in the E&P industry in Thailand. I'm one them too.

It's a shame there have been so many lay off and I hope you find a new position soon. However the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. The demise of the oil drilling industry is on a way way spiral as alternative fuels will now have a real chance to establish themselves.

Actually, the word "gasoline" is a British English word that dates back to 1863 with its first appearance in the Oxford dictionary. 'Petrol' was actually a product name for a petroleum distillate in 1870 that was originally used a solvent and then later found to be suitable as a fuel. The owner was unable to trademark the name, but sort of like "Hoover", the product name began to stick as the noun for something that was originally called gasoline. The Americans apparently carried on with 'gasoline', since Petrol was a British product that was probably not sold in the USA.

Personally, I sort of like 'gasoline' as a name for the fuel. Not only is it the original English noun, but it just seems more specific. As a shortened form of petroleum, 'petrol' could represent any kind of petroleum product or distillate.

I am surprised that LPG prices have not fallen at all.

two main reasons for this non price drop

1. Thailand imports a great amount of LPG

2. LPG has not had the rpice freefall that gasoline has had over the past 5 months.

There has been massive layoffs in the E&P industry in Thailand. I'm one them too.

It's a shame there have been so many lay off and I hope you find a new position soon. However the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. The demise of the oil drilling industry is on a way way spiral as alternative fuels will now have a real chance to establish themselves.

Maybe keep a copy of this post somewhere for yourself, and when the price of oil hits USD 100 + a barrel in the future, go back and read what you wrote...once the frackers in the US are out of business, the Saudis will " close the taps " forcing the price up, alternatively the Saudis will bankrupt themselves, and the price will go up

For short term, if the Saudis and iranians really start having a go at each other or some other war in the middle east...prices will go up

Current oil price is not driven by economics per se, but by polital agenda

Maybe keep a copy of this post somewhere for yourself, and when the price of oil hits USD 100 + a barrel in the future, go back and read what you wrote...once the frackers in the US are out of business, the Saudis will " close the taps " forcing the price up, alternatively the Saudis will bankrupt themselves, and the price will go up

For short term, if the Saudis and iranians really start having a go at each other or some other war in the middle east...prices will go up

I don't class facing as an alternative fuel source. I have no dought that the price of a barrel will rise but bergen then and now other forms of energy will hopefully gain a good foothold and in the end what is classed as alternative now will be the norm. To say oil will be around for the long term is very brave look at Coal once said the coal industry is going to be there forever. And oil prices driven by political agenda !!!!! We will have to differ widely on that one.

I don't class facing as an alternative fuel source. I have no dought that the price of a barrel will rise but bergen then and now other forms of energy will hopefully gain a good foothold and in the end what is classed as alternative now will be the norm. To say oil will be around for the long term is very brave look at Coal once said the coal industry is going to be there forever. And oil prices driven by political agenda !!!!! We will have to differ widely on that one.

But isnt the key different between oil and coal, is the uses oil has outside the "fuel business, ie plastics, chemical process uses etc, coal has/had limited uses, you can extract "oil" for fuel manufactuer from coal, but its an expensive process

But isnt the key different between oil and coal, is the uses oil has outside the "fuel business, ie plastics, chemical process uses etc, coal has/had limited uses, you can extract "oil" for fuel manufactuer from coal, but its an expensive process

There are already alternatives to oil ergo there are alternatives for by products. There are also alternatives for the plastic industries ect ect as I said it will take time but it will happen.

Saw an article yesterday that the govt is seriously thinking to increase the excise tax on vehicle fuels to replenish the fund they use to help keep fuel prices stable/lower when oil prices go up. My vehicle uses diesel....so nice to see it under 20 baht/liter compared to recent history of being around 30 baht/liter.

That would be about right, make everyone pay for the subsidised diesel. While those with diesel engines were being forced to pay the 30 baht a litre, some of us had to pay over 40 baht a litre for petrol.

Archived