Bangkok murder suspect Artur Segarra arrested in Cambodia

webfact

Bangkok murder suspect Artur Segarra arrested in Cambodia

s.jpg

Artur Segarra

SIHANOUKVILLE: Police in Cambodia have arrested the main suspect in the murder of a Spanish businessman whose dismembered body was found in the Chao Phraya river last week.

Artur Segarra was arrested in the southern city of Sihanoukville at 7.30pm on Sunday, according to Spanish media.

Segarra, 36, was last seen in a karaoke bar in Surin on Friday. He quickly fled the bar when he was recognised by locals who saw his photo on a news bulletin.

On Saturday morning Thai police found Segarra’s red Honda PCX motorcycle abandoned in Surin close to the Cambodian border.

Cambodian police are expected to charge Segarra with entering the country illegally before he is extradited to Thailand.

Victim David Bernat, 40, was last seen alive leaving Nantiruj Tower apartment on Sukhumvit Soi 8 on January 20th.

Ten days later, body parts belonging to Bernat were found washed up at various locations on the banks of the Chao Phraya.

Police said the victim had been tortured and asphyxiated prior to his body being dismembered.

Police also confirmed that a large amount of money, thought to be around 37 million Baht, was transferred from David Bernat’s Singaporean bank account to accounts belonging to Segarra.

Segarra then began withdrawing large quantities of cash from ATMs in Bangkok and Ayutthaya.

Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports say that police in Thailand have arrested a Thai man on suspicion of assisting Segarra in the brutal murder. The man is believed to be a friend of Segarra’s Thai girlfriend.

post-137452-0-44594600-1454889745_thumb.

Artur Segarra following his arrest in Cambodia.

Source: El Mundo

tvn.png
-- 2016-02-08

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, boggle the minds, you hear bout those things happening in places far a way from here,

but now, all this is unfolding on our door steps, involving torture, murder, dismembering, lots of money and a

and a woman... makes for a good movie plot... if he found guilty, I hope that he will get what he deserve....

So on the run he goes to one of the most popular tourist destinations in Cambodia to hide out....smart move. There's many places he could of laid low pretty much undected.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

So you are saying he should have gone to a smaller town with less "farang"? A new farang just moving in - just as the alerts came out that he was on the run in Cambodia - would be the first things they checked. The first thing prisons did when escaping a prison in my area was move to the large city to get lost in a crowd. Being that cross-race identification tends to be more difficult - blending in with a bunch of farang in a tourist destination may not be as bad as you are indicating. Often people that are on the run give themselves up by acting suspiciously - like walking towards a police officer and the eyes darting away, or turning away / changing direction. Your guilt or fear of getting caught changes your behaviour. If he just changed his appearance a little and try to blend in - would not have been a bad tactic IMHO. Tourists are generally not up to date on who to watch out for and since compatriots would be a minority.... it is very possible he could have blended in. He just should not remain in the same tourist destination for too long - at least in the beginning.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Me suspects they were both up to no good...and now one is dead and the other is maybe gonna face justice (you never know in thailand). One hood rubs out the other...I really couldnt care. These two werent choir-boys. People dont start their criminal careers by murdering and dismembering someone...whoever did this has been doing bad shize for a long time. The tats up to the neck on the one fella pretty much confirms it.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Me suspects they were both up to no good...and now one is dead and the other is maybe gonna face justice (you never know in thailand). One hood rubs out the other...I really couldnt care. These two werent choir-boys. People dont start their criminal careers by murdering and dismembering someone...whoever did this has been doing bad shize for a long time. The tats up to the neck on the one fella pretty much confirms it.

I suspect that this guy is going to spend a long long time in the Bangkok Hilton. It must by all accounts be horrendous in that place so it beggars belief that consequences and sentences will minimise the crimes. This being the case, the death penalty is the only guarantee to reduce or in this case eliminate recidivism.

I am sure that we are all aware that as there is no crime here against Thai, the full force of sentencing will apply.

Not yet found guilty but I bet there is not much chance they have missed their mark.

all too quick.. my bet is he used a card at ATM in Cambodia.. that triggered an alert and gave his destination away.......never can understand why these folks who do these crimes dont have a better plan that gives them more time before the crime is discovered and have a defined escape plan that doesn't lay out a trail of breadcrumbs for the authorities to follow......he will no doubt have time to reflect on this over the next decade or so

all too quick.. my bet is he used a card at ATM in Cambodia.. that triggered an alert and gave his destination away.......never can understand why these folks who do these crimes dont have a better plan that gives them more time before the crime is discovered and have a defined escape plan that doesn't lay out a trail of breadcrumbs for the authorities to follow......he will no doubt have time to reflect on this over the next decade or so

Well, in that regard it's no surprising to have read that his previous businesses in Spain went bankrupt. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer ( no pun intended).

Still do not believe any bull shit from the girl not knowing more , being told not to open freezer , etc , after the fact very dubious

Police don't believe her, they are looking at CCTV footage that shows her leaving a condo with the spaniard approx after the murder.

I was right that cambodian police would catch him, I think he was assited across the border by way of donation.

The Thai man, friend of the GF might be in deep trouble as well as the GF as I said before, it would be pretty hard to manouvre a corpse around on a motorbike single handed, this friend drove Artur to a ATM in his pickup, I suspect that's not the only place he drove him.

I think as this plays out we will see a really sick psyco spaniard and 2 Thai accomplaces.

Then there might be some other connections to possible drug dealings.

Glad the Cambodians got the sicko and the BIB are acting quite quickly. wai2.gif

Ahhhh...the truth is being revealed and it looks as though there was a plan hatched to get the deceased mans money while the suspect was not planning it all by himself.

The GF is probably trying to save herself now from any incriminations and cooperate with the police while the Thai accomplice will more than likely just lie until he can not lie any more after realizing he can not get away with murder and be free to spend the money.

Cheers

For once I can say of the RTP, good job.

He was arrested in Cambodia presumably by the police there after he was recognised by locals and is detained in Cambodia.

Good job by the Thai police ?

It sure is. If it weren't for trying to get away from them, he wouldn't have been scooped in Cambodia. cheesy.gifclap2.gif .

Edited by silent

Is it just my imagination or does this guy have those eyes that look through you that are so associated with sociopaths and psychopaths.

yes its just your imagination

Yes, your average psychopath is smarter than your average non-psychopath....

A large portion of them you would never know....

He is probably just your average murderer....

Wow, boggle the minds, you hear bout those things happening in places far a way from here,

but now, all this is unfolding on our door steps, involving torture, murder, dismembering, lots of money and a

and a woman... makes for a good movie plot... if he found guilty, I hope that he will get what he deserve....

Yes...Alfred Hitchcock would be intrigued.

At the risk of being ridiculed on this forum, I have to say that the Thai police did an excellent job on this case so far.

So far, I cannot fault them on this case.... Thai police are like broken clocks - they might be wrong a lot of the time but a couple of times a day they will be right :P

So on the run he goes to one of the most popular tourist destinations in Cambodia to hide out....smart move. There's many places he could of laid low pretty much undected.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Human blood is so so strong that one will hardly commit murder and go free. Many people commented yesterday that his days on the run were counted and they were perfectly right. Even if he went to the low profile places as you think, he would have still been caught.