TM30 Experience

CMBob

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two weeks ago we arrived back from New Zealand on a Friday night at midnight, so went to the old Police Office at the old Immigration site on the following Monday to report.   We were there less than ten minutes to renew TM30 and whilst there i asked them about the '24hr' rule and also about renewing if away from home but only in Thailand.   I was informed by a senior officer that as long as we report within 7 days of arriving back in the country there will be no problem.  He also said there is no need to report if we are only travelling within Thailand.

Seems to me wherever you report they all have their own rules about everything !

Just arrived back in CM today and noticed Trainman advise of doing his TM30 at the old Immigration site. I thought TM30 forms were being done at Promenada.  Would someone please advise on this? Thanks

1 hour ago, trainman34014 said:

We were there less than ten minutes to renew TM30 and whilst there i asked them about the '24hr' rule and also about renewing if away from home but only in Thailand.   I was informed by a senior officer that as long as we report within 7 days of arriving back in the country there will be no problem.  He also said there is no need to report if we are only travelling within Thailand.

I've been told the same thing more than once by that office - that reporting within 7 days was okay and it's only necessary to  report (update) when re-entering the country.  That's what I'm doing now although I am aware that at least some (but not all) of the officers at Promenada don't agree with this interpretation of the rules.

A month or two ago, I visited the old immigration site to see the status of construction.  While there, I noticed that Building 3 (the building in the back where you previously did TM 30 reporting amongst other things) was still apparently open for business so Trainman obviously did his updating there without a hitch.  It never took more than 10 minutes to update my TM30 there so it's good to know it's still open for business. 

Just now, CMBob said:

I've been told the same thing more than once by that office - that reporting within 7 days was okay and it's only necessary to  report (update) when re-entering the country.  That's what I'm doing now although I am aware that at least some (but not all) of the officers at Promenada don't agree with this interpretation of the rules.

A month or two ago, I visited the old immigration site to see the status of construction.  While there, I noticed that Building 3 (the building in the back where you previously did TM 30 reporting amongst other things) was still apparently open for business so Trainman obviously did his updating there without a hitch.  It never took more than 10 minutes to update my TM30 there so it's good to know it's still open for business. 

Yes Bob; still open and works well.   I noticed the new building work does not seem to have progressed much since i last saw it two months ago; seems it won't be ready for at least two or more years at this rate.

An update. Went to old immigration site this morning, Building 3, and within 10 minutes had a new TM30 receipt replacing one from last year that I had lost.  There was no need to complete a new form. The officer looked at my passport and a copy of wife's TB, checked details online and handed me a new receipt. He was efficient and helpful which I greatly appreciated.

Thanks Trainman for mentioning that the old site was still doing TM30s and CMBob confirming same. Saved me a trip to Promenada 

The officer looked at my passport and a copy of wife's TB, checked details online and handed me a new receipt

I thought the drill was that the original receipt was annotated with info about the latest arrival...... My understanding is that no new receipt -- which is the bottom of the TM30 -- takes place....since no new TM30 is required to be filled out.

The officer looked at my passport and a copy of wife's TB, checked details online and handed me a new receipt
I thought the drill was that the original receipt was annotated with info about the latest arrival...... My understanding is that no new receipt -- which is the bottom of the TM30 -- takes place....since no new TM30 is required to be filled out.

Yes that is it and mine was reviewed yesterday by Imm when I got a year extension, one receipt with 3 update stamps, no problem but they wanted a copy.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

"An update. Went to old immigration site this morning, Building 3, and within 10 minutes had a new TM30 receipt replacing one from last year that I had lost."

• 3 months later...

Just to reconfirm much of the info on this thread, yes, if after traveling abroad and returning to your same abode in Chiang Mai, you need to take your TM30 receipt from your last TM30 submission to the third floor of Promenade (across from Duke's). Take your passport (of course) and your new TM6 Departure card (i.e., the remaining part after they've removed the Arrival part of the TM6 upon entry). Nothing else required -- no copies of anything (the cute gal handling the TM30 queue said, with a smile, "No new wife, no new home, no need any new paperwork." She had seen my TM30 receipt, and a newly filled out TM30 -- just in case.)

She handed off the passport, TM6, and TM30 receipt to the adjacent desk, told me to take a seat, and I was called 10 minutes later to collect the newly annotated TM30 receipt with a new red meatball, and new date of last entry.

Total time in office -- from picking up the queue number (from a box on a table to your right, as you come in) to exiting, was about 20 minutes. This was today, Tuesday, around 1:30. Wife commented on lack of crowds, and the cute gal advised, 'just stay away from Mondays.'

I had re-entered Thailand 6 days previously -- in Bangkok -- where I stayed in my condo for two nights, with absolutely no inclination nor time (nor insanity) to file a TM30 in Bangkok. Apparently, no big deal -- and in fact, they would have no way of knowing whether or not I transited Bangkok (entry stamp says Bangkok) same day to Chiang Mai -- or, as I did, stay a couple nights in an abode that doesn't do TM30 reporting. Also, that I reported 6 days later seems to confirm you have (at least) 7 days to report a re-entry to your existing address.

Also, seems reasonable to assume, as has been reported, that trips to other Provinces, i.e., not out of country, don't require a TM30 receipt update. Plus, if your trips to other Provinces don't trigger a TM30 report -- like, my staying at my condo in Bangkok -- who's to know?

Anyway,  got to eat the American lasagna at Duke's -- and beat the 2:00 O'clock whistle for 'no beer.'

I have a problem, I came back into Thailand in early July. I have lived at the same residence for 6 + years, it is a private residence. The only other occupants are the owner and a housekeeper. The owner has also been away in the USA and no TM30 has been submitted, I had expected she would be back the paperwork would be done by now. I have no idea when she is to return. I have a 90 day coming up in a week or so ( I usually submit by mail), what might I expect? Would a run to Mae Sai be an option if I get grief from Immigration? What, if any, fine might I incur?

3 hours ago, sticklee said:

I have a problem, I came back into Thailand in early July. I have lived at the same residence for 6 + years, it is a private residence. The only other occupants are the owner and a housekeeper. The owner has also been away in the USA and no TM30 has been submitted, I had expected she would be back the paperwork would be done by now. I have no idea when she is to return. I have a 90 day coming up in a week or so ( I usually submit by mail), what might I expect? Would a run to Mae Sai be an option if I get grief from Immigration? What, if any, fine might I incur?

They usually do not ask for a copy of the TM30 when doing the 90 day mail in. Only seems to happen if you are there in person for extension of stay, not sure about 90 days,only ever done it online or by mail for the past few years. 

They certainly don't ask for it online so that is another option.

21 hours ago, cnxgary said:

If one does not have a TM 30 receipt in their passport you will not be issued a queue # to renew a 1 yr. visa you will be directed upstairs to register. People arrive early to get a # only to be turned away.

Wrong. I renewed my annual extension of stay without presenting a TM30. 

Technically, yes, you're suppose to have evidence of having filed a TM30 when you apply for your annual retirement extension, but the enforcement of this is rather hit-and-miss in Chiang Mai.  They definitely seem to require it for your first extension, but are more lax with subsequent annual extensions, if you haven't moved.

They can look up on their computer to see if your TM30 is correct and they could raise a fuss the most recent time a TM30 was filed for you was when you stayed overnight at a hotel in country.  Officially, that would be your current residence, according to the TM30 system.  But yet, they pretty much tell people "no need" to update/refile when you return home from a hotel stay elsewhere in Thailand.  Yet, I know people who have have been fined for this, when the Imm. officer was "in a fine mood". 

Thankfully, the online TM30 reporting system is working (which also means that the online 90 day reporting system is working) and our condo office updated Hubby's TM30 when he returned from Malaysia this past weekend.  Many condos are set up for online TM30 reporting, just like hotels.

14 hours ago, Thailand said:

The copy of our TM30 was checked against our passports and ticked off a checklist when we did our extension of stay 2 weeks ago. 

My TM30 was also looked at carefully when I did my extension several months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Up-to-date TM30 was definitely required for my retirement-extension yesterday.

I also had to provide a signed-by-me copy of the TM30 slip, along with the usual other pages from the passport.

But the personal-information sheet wasn't asked-for this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a new twist to the TM30 saga. This was a report (post#30) from a CM resident:

++https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1005981-90-day-report-obsolete-after-re-entry/?page=2

(remove the beginning ++ to get a hyperlink)

This division checked my passport number on line and saw each time I used my passport to buy Air Asia tickets from CM to UTP Pattaya and told me that I had left the province each time and that upon my return Thong my wife should have reported to my return. They imposed a 1600 baht fine. She then said ‘if you stay in a place more than 2 nights outside your province” your wife need to report when you get back to your proper address

As reported earlier in this thread, trips within Thailand, with a return home to same address, don't require a visit to Immigration for a chop on your TM30 receipt. But, hey, I guess they don't have "all hands" meetings to spread the definitive word (of course, if there is no 'definitive word,' your mileage will thus vary.....). Also, according to the above, if you only stay two nights, or less, out of the Province, no need to report.

The other interesting tidbit from this post is that Immigration knows your every move by airline, including trips within Thailand. I find this somewhat questionable, since I don't recall having to furnish my passport info when buying a domestic ticket. Oh well. I won't worry about TM30 update for domestic trips -- until someone else reports support of this poster's information.

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

The other interesting tidbit from this post is that Immigration knows your every move by airline, including trips within Thailand. I find this somewhat questionable, since I don't recall having to furnish my passport info when buying a domestic ticket. 

I don't update my TM30 for any trip within Thailand, regardless if I'm gone a couple of days or a week or two.  I do update when re-entering the country and they've never said anything about the domestic trips I've taken (even though I presume they can see on their computer the multiple TM30's that domestic hotels have filed for me in the interim). 

As for the airline tickets, I've never gotten a ticket for a domestic trip within Thailand without having to provide my nationality, passport number, etc., and I'm doubtful you have either (I've had to do that for 17+ years).  Just got another ticket on AA to Bangkok and had to provide the same information on their website and the last ticket I bought at CM's Bangkok Airways office required me to provide my passport so they could insert that information in their computer generating the ticket.  

As for the airline tickets, I've never gotten a ticket for a domestic trip within Thailand without having to provide my nationality, passport number, etc., and I'm doubtful you have either (I've had to do that for 17+ years).

You might be right, but I don't recall providing (Nok Air) my citizenship, passport number, or anything but my Thai address, phone number, and Visa credit card number. I just pulled up a Nok Air eticket fill in, and went all the way to credit card info (where I stopped). Nothing about passport number or citizenship asked. And it didn't appear I have a pre-filled in file with them (where maybe a passport number resides), as they asked for all the pertinent information, like address and phone number, which otherwise would have been on file. Anyway, like you, I'm certainly not going to go to Promenade to get another Thai red meatball stamp on my TM30 receipt for any domestic travel I do. That they monitor my air travel within Thailand to discover TM30 related activity seems a stretch......and there won't be any hotels/guest houses reporting, as all my domestic trips are to my condo in Bangkok (where no one there reports my stay). So, maybe except for Nok Air, totally under the radar -- not that I give a hoot (unless my next one year extension trips over TM30 non reporting issue -- doubtful).

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why?

My passport must endure the stresses of CONSTANT international travel.

I got double extra pages in it before the cutoff and hope to get a couple more years use out of it.

That bit of printer paper that constitutes the TM 30 notice won't last, will come out, and possibly be lost and as it has no purpose other than proffering to Chiang Mai immigration, it is better off sitting in my desk as it has for the past year or so and already has 10 update stamps on it. I don't want to take the TM30 notice out of Thailand. I don't work in Thailand. My passport has business/ work visas from 3 other countries and although they promised not to the girl stapled it right through my active QR code sticker for Japan possibly damaging it. Irritating. 

The entry IOs at the airport have not been even stapling the departure cards for years.

Archived