800 Baht fine for Thai wife not reporting at Korat Immigration

The 800 baht number seems to a common one. Some have been fined the max fine of 2000 baht.

There are other offices interpreting the immigration act the same way while others say the report is not needed unless you change addresses. IMO it only has to be done if you change residences.

You could ask about mailing in the report. I think Korat was telling people they could also register do them online.

Thanks Joe. I need to do my annual retirement extension next month so we shall see what happens in my case. Last year the officer said that I must bring my wife "next year" and said "yea". Well I have no intention on taking her this year, so again, we shall see what happens.

• Like 1

I donot quite understand this.

so every time a foreigner who is married leaves the country when he returns his wife must inform immigration?

I thought immigration would know as soon as the foreigner went through immigration at the airport.

My wife is a teacher and would have to take a day off work to go with me to immigration if this is right. quite an inconvenience for some of us.

I have lived here in 8 years now, always lived at the very same address,, Hasve a yellow book since 7 years back.. NEVER had an issue with neither the immigration nor the form TM28 or TM30.. NEVER,,,

Belong to Khon Kaen immigration.. What is the rules here? Anybody? Joe?

Glegolo

• Like 2

I donot quite understand this.

so every time a foreigner who is married leaves the country when he returns his wife must inform immigration?

I thought immigration would know as soon as the foreigner went through immigration at the airport.

My wife is a teacher and would have to take a day off work to go with me to immigration if this is right. quite an inconvenience for some of us.

At offices that are enforcing the rule as mentioned it applies to everybody not only those that are married.

There is no requirement for the wife to do it person. You could do it after she completes the form. Or it could be done by mail if the office allows it.

I have lived here in 8 years now, always lived at the very same address,, Hasve a yellow book since 7 years back.. NEVER had an issue with neither the immigration nor the form TM28 or TM30.. NEVER,,,

Belong to Khon Kaen immigration.. What is the rules here? Anybody? Joe?

Glegolo

I think KK is interpreting the rule correctly and not wanting a report unless you change address. Having a yellow house book does not change the reporting requirements.

• Like 1

did you get a receipt ken? for the 800bht.because there is one officer at korat immigration who is thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

the wife always comes with me and this officer tried it on with me last november but got nothing as i have never left the country since coming.

korat imm.was discussed in the isaan forum a few months back.the same issue.

Edited by meatboy

I think its just a source of extra income. Immigration knows my address for ages (I report it every 90 days and during each and every extension). And I even have to fill it in on the arrival card. My wife got fined too :800B. (Sriracha).

So, what they are asking is to report the same information like 3 or 4 times...

Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 2

The wife of the OP should have just reported and filed the paper with the nearest police station. I done it with the police station and when I went into the Sakon Nakhon immigration they asked for the document. Police didn't forwarded it to the immigration but we shown them a copy that we filed with the police station. Problem solved.

• Like 2

Thanks Joe. I need to do my annual retirement extension next month so we shall see what happens in my case. Last year the officer said that I must bring my wife "next year" and said "yea". Well I have no intention on taking her this year, so again, we shall see what happens.

You're right, no requirement to have a wife for a retirement extension.

If they insist, tell them she left you.

you can report your tm30 to your local police station - i know they hate it but that's the law.

i do every time i arrive - no, actually, the girl does. small town, they know us by now.

According to the immigration website, you can only report to the local police if there is no locl Immigration office in your province.

• Like 1

did you get a receipt ken? for the 800bht.because there is one officer at korat immigration who is thumbsup.gifgiggle.gif

the wife always comes with me and this officer tried it on with me last november but got nothing as i have never left the country since coming.

korat imm.was discussed in the isaan forum a few months back.the same issue.

It hasn't happened to me yet. My next extension is next month. My friend did get a receipt yesterday.

You're right, no requirement to have a wife for a retirement extension.

If they insist, tell them she left you.

And you're right. But I do have to give them a "proof of address", which in my case is signed copies of my wife's ID card and house book. As said, don't know yet what will happen this year when I don't bring the wife.

this sums it up:

no immigration office in town - go to the police. it takes 30 minutes out of your life to comply:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.

I arrived in Thailand last October.on a visa exempt stamp. Went to Korat immigration to extent by 30 days. Immigration officer (older guy in the middle) asked if i had reported. I said that i had reported to the local police. Not good enough he said .Korat was my nearest reporting office. He then send me down to the Immigration police office down the stairs where a lady put all my details on the immigration web site. She then gave me a username and password. Went back to immigration officer who gave me another 30 days stamp. No fine.

Came back in start of Feb.logged in and put my details in.Sorted

Perhaps the 200 baht cakes helped

Hope this helps

regards

• Like 1

this sums it up:

no immigration office in town - go to the police. it takes 30 minutes out of your life to comply:

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.

It says "if no immigration office in the province or...". Korat immigration is in the province where I live.

I arrived in Thailand last October.on a visa exempt stamp. Went to Korat immigration to extent by 30 days. Immigration officer (older guy in the middle) asked if i had reported. I said that i had reported to the local police. Not good enough he said .Korat was my nearest reporting office. He then send me down to the Immigration police office down the stairs where a lady put all my details on the immigration web site. She then gave me a username and password. Went back to immigration officer who gave me another 30 days stamp. No fine.

Came back in start of Feb.logged in and put my details in.Sorted

Perhaps the 200 baht cakes helped

Hope this helps

regards

Don't totally understand your post. It is the home owner who has to report your stay within 24 hours. Anyway, we shall see what happens in my case next month. Always look forward (sarcasm) to this once a year ordeal.

this sums it up:

Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

So what if you don't live here on a 'temporary basis', but live here full time?

No reporting required then?

Not to mention 'Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses'

What if your home isn't a business?

No reporting required then?

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I filed two tm30 by mail both sent two weeks late and extended my visa yesterday with no fines.

Mail is an easy option

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Was that Korat Immigration? If so, it could be an option for me, though in my case it would be several months late.