Scomadi scooters

KhunTao

How much is a "real"  original 2 stroke Vespa these days in Thailand ?

I see a lot of them used to transport stuff around BKK and a few fixed up to be "Pretty"

Were most of these originally from Italy or India ?

And I know "may lightning stick you" but has anyone made a kit to make an original Vespa battery powered ?

Can get a 2 stroke from 40k upwards. Restored sprint 150 from about 80k.
Unsure how much a more modern PX125/200 is?
Unsure about the history of Italian/Indian models in Thailand. The Indian models in the UK had terrible electrics.
No need for a battery. For older vespas with 6v electrics, u can buy a 12v kit that will greatly improve starting & the lights. I fitted a battery to my 1994 Vespa but that was only to power the stereo.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Vespas and Lambrettas are now classics with a price-tag to match, often they bring more than new. I plan on buying a new Vespa 125GTS for my time in Portugal, 5,000 euro, ouch! but cheaper than an old one unless you buy a shed. All secondhand 125's command high prices anyway, due to the fact car drivers can ride up to 125 there.

Buying a real Vespa just for the huge club scene in Europe, be interested to see how this bike catches on. These bikes are all about fun...so it's worth what people are prepared to pay.

The Italjet 125 twins are about the same price.... prolly a better buy.

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

Can u buy Italjet in Thailand?
I used to have a Dragster 180 with Malossi variator & scorpion exhaust. Had it for 10 years and drove it from Scotland to Rotterdam. Was a flyer, did 89mph.

I went to a Yamaha dealer today. The nmax up close is not as nice as I thought. Better looking than a pcx but still not too stylish.
I'm going to a used dealer on Monday to view some Vespa GTS's. I looked at the sprint & primavera but not as much room between the seat and handlebars compared to the GTS.
Looking at the engine specs, the sprint & primavera 125 has the same hp & torque as the Scomadi.
I also visited a Scomadi dealer and asked about the 200 but he said he didn't know when it would be available in Thailand(prob wanting me to buy the 125!)

3 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Yes the 400 is a must have for me. I think I will buy the 125, trade it in for a 200 next year and then trade that in for the 400 in 2018 hopefully.

Sounds like a good plan to lose some money on depreciation :)

The answer is BIG no!

Looked at this, the Vespa and Filano, and the Scomadi came a poor 3rd.

The bigger Vespa is 7k cheaper at just 90k, for a genuine model, the Filano is half the price for a nice looking machine that has a really comfortable feel and Yamy reliability, which I think is the best of the Jap 4, so pretty damn good.

No under-seat storage unlike the other two real deals and the handlebars were set too low for me, making it a backbuster for touring. Plus the fit and finish is not up to standard, nor the style either, IMO.

They do seem to have got the marketing right though, plus a demo bike they were pushing me to try out, but the chrome plastic one is 190,000 Baht and that's a lot of dough! 

These bikes need to be a whole lot cheaper.......

The bigger Vespa costs 140,000 baht if u mean the GTS150. The primavera 150 is 110,000 baht & the 125 97,000 baht but there's not much room between seat and handlebars. If I was to buy a Vespa it would have to be the bigger GTS but that's 43,000 more than the Scomadi.

No under-seat storage is a real pain but u can buy a bag/helmet hook. The tank holds 11 litres and takes up this room.

The fit and finish is superior on the Vespa & scomadi compared to the Yamaha. I've a 22 year old Vespa that still has original paint & engine and it still runs without missing a beat. How many Yamaha scooters do u see running about more than 10 years old? None, they are thrown on the scrap heap. They are disposable scooters. The Scomadi has yet to prove itself as its new but the finish is superior to the Filano. I don't like the yamahas cheap looking plastic floor.

The Scomadi wins hands down on style. You will find numerous enthusiast pages on Facebook worldwide. There are also many Vespa pages. There are no Yamaha Filano enthusiast sites! The Scomadi is streets ahead of any other new scooter on the market if based on styling.

The chrome Scomadi is 109,000 baht. It's different but I prefer the Kevlar for 99,000.

In regards to the price. If u compare it to the Yamaha then yes it's expensive, but price is of no concern to someone wanting a stylish classic looking scooter who wouldn't be seen dead on a Filano. The Filano is an attempt at copying the Vespa & the Yamaha design team has designed a good alternative to all the other bland scooters on the market for around 50,000 baht.

If you've 50k to spend & just want basic transport then yes, the Filano is a real contender. If you've 100k and want something fun to ride then it will be Vespa or scomadi. Vespa is a cult like Harley Davidson & VW Beetle. Lambretta also. The Scomadi has been a huge success in only a year on sale in Thailand but that's because it's a direct copy of the Lambretta & people will spend a lot of money to buy one.

Oh dear. I owned a scomadi 125 and can be at least honest about it. It was a bad purchase.
It may look good from far but it's far from good.

I cannot find any bad reviews in Thailand or UK, only good reviews but I suppose it's down to what someone wants from a scooter.
I know people who just drove some scomadi 125's from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and loved the experience.
I've rented Yamahas & Hondas, owned Vespa's, Lambretta's, Gilera's & Italjet's but have only test driven a scomadi.
The yamahas & Hondas are cheap scooters that I get no enjoyment out of driving. I've had my Yamaha for 2 months and it's purely for getting from A to B.
Never owned a scomadi but the test drive I had was superb.
What exactly made your opinion of it as a bad purchase? I know it looks great and that will sway most people to buy it but just wanted to know any negatives?

I am sorry this is a knock-off and 97k is way too much money, my 200cc Lifan is also a knock-off of a low tech old (Honda) bike but cost 46k and it is a fun bike nothing more. There isn't anything stylish about a poor copy of an old bike, so it should 50k.

If you want to fall for the marketing tricks fine........

Here are the reviews:-
The marketing, then maybe yes...."I’ve not seen, heard, or read so much speculation, anticipation or excitement about a new scooter since the Vespa GTS 300 was launched. Up and down the country (and I imagine abroad as well) people have been talking about ‘The new Scomadi’ for the last couple of years." "The hype caught UK dealers and the emerging company out and neither could keep up with demand".
The fit and finish not up to standard?...."it is actually very well put together, everything fits well and the plastic body panels look good."
97k is way too much money?...."For its price there are quite a few scooters to choose from but with a Scomadi you’re getting something different to the normal run of the mill scooters. You’re buying into the next big thing,"

The problem is your comparing the Scomadi to the Lambretta. PM Tuning & Lambretta Innovations have been developing the Scomadi for the past 10 years, both experts in their field of scooters. They have realised that people want to drive a classic scooter but with a modern 4-stroke engine together with the fact that people do not want to get their hands dirty, fixing a Lambretta.
People who want to buy a scomadi will never consider a Honda as an alternative. You could push the price up to 150,000 baht but they will still buy the Scomadi as opposed to a Honda. Scomadi are only competing with Vespa, nobody else.

If scomadi is so good as you claim, why did you buy a yamaha 2 months ago ???

I didn't buy it. I'm renting it only because nobody rents Vespa's. I would gladly pay double the rental price for a decent scooter.
It goes back to the shop in a few days and I want to buy a scooter this week. It's between a Vespa or Scomadi, nothing else.

An interest in selling these bikes? Lol.
I am asking anyone that can respond with proven experience of owning one, to please tell me of any faults that they have experienced? One person said that the handlebars are too low for them and may cause back problems when touring. That is a valid point but this would not concern me. I thank them for their comments.
Someone has also mentioned it has a basic Chinese engine & I should wait for the euro 200cc engine coming out. That is also a good point but when I called the dealer but they could not tell me so at the moment I am wanting to buy now so the 125 is the only option for me.
So, what I would now like to know is if anybody has had breakdowns or faults with the engine?
Please can anyone tell me?
Hereinthailand - what information can you bring to this forum post?

I'm actually in the Scomadi dealer now. I looked at both the user & service manuals but both are in Thai only.
I asked if they had an English manual but no. I called scomadi uk and they told me they can't send one as only 1 manual can be issued per scooter.
I know Vespa supplies 1 manual in Europe with different languages but apparently scomadi don't!
I even asked scomadi uk if mere was an English manual online.....No. I asked if he could email an English manual to the dealer here in Pattaya....No.
Scomadi uk say it has to be the Thai dealer who has to call the main distributer here in Thailand to get one. They tried but No!
I'm astonished.

Lammy TS1.      Scomadi need to get all these small details sorted out, such as English manuals , if they are not to alienate potential buyers.  The best scooter available in Thailand - for 95% of people - is the Yamaha Grand Filano , at 52,000.   B U T  there are a growing band of people , such as yourself , who are willing to pay more for an authentic , but new , looking scooters such as the Scomadi.  Bit like people buying a Harley , they may not be "the best" but they are what they are , origional and different.  The 125 engine , like many , seems to be basees on the Suzuki GS 125.  An old tech 2 valve,  carbed , air cooled but very strong engine.  The 200 will be a much better bike for the new 180cc Aprilia engine.