Scomadi scooters

KhunTao

59 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

Lammy TS1.      Scomadi need to get all these small details sorted out, such as English manuals , if they are not to alienate potential buyers.  The best scooter available in Thailand - for 95% of people - is the Yamaha Grand Filano , at 52,000.   B U T  there are a growing band of people , such as yourself , who are willing to pay more for an authentic , but new , looking scooters such as the Scomadi.  Bit like people buying a Harley , they may not be "the best" but they are what they are , origional and different.  The 125 engine , like many , seems to be basees on the Suzuki GS 125.  An old tech 2 valve,  carbed , air cooled but very strong engine.  The 200 will be a much better bike for the new 180cc Aprilia engine.

Tell me about it. I used to be a HD owner, 750k baht for a used touring model when you could buy them as grey imports. Good thing was that it held it's value very good so it cost me app 100k baht for 4 years ownership + 1st class A insurance.

There was "something" about the Harley that's hard to explain. My current Versys650 can run in circles around the HD and cost less than 1/2 new of what I paid for the HD.

The Scomadi 200 looks interesting but I think I will pass, my pcx150 from 2012 have been very very good as pop around scooter, often 2up. My favorite replacement scooter will be the Nmax that have a bit more power and ABS brakes and looks okay, but I don't care much about that, practicality is the key word for me here.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

An interest in selling these bikes? Lol.
I am asking anyone that can respond with proven experience of owning one, to please tell me of any faults that they have experienced? One person said that the handlebars are too low for them and may cause back problems when touring. That is a valid point but this would not concern me. I thank them for their comments.
Someone has also mentioned it has a basic Chinese engine & I should wait for the euro 200cc engine coming out. That is also a good point but when I called the dealer but they could not tell me so at the moment I am wanting to buy now so the 125 is the only option for me.
So, what I would now like to know is if anybody has had breakdowns or faults with the engine?
Please can anyone tell me?
Hereinthailand - what information can you bring to this forum post?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

That was me....

I have quite long arms and legs but still found the handlebars low and uncomfortable, but the good news is that the dealers welcome test rides, so do a few km first. On the other hand I found the Grande Filano an ideal fit.

Personally I think 125cc is enough for a scooter, especially with small wheels.

That was me....
I have quite long arms and legs but still found the handlebars low and uncomfortable, but the good news is that the dealers welcome test rides, so do a few km first. On the other hand I found the Grande Filano an ideal fit.

Personally I think 125cc is enough for a scooter, especially with small wheels.

I think it's what your used to driving. I've had mostly Vespa's & lambrettas since I was a kid and find the position natural but an old Lambretta I can place my feet flat on the ground but the scomadi I'm on my tip toes. When riding a PCX, I find it uncomfortable as the handlebars are not straight but raised high at angles.
In regards to 125 being enough, ive owned quite a few larger capacity scooters. I've got a Lambretta that's been bored out to 225cc with race crank & exhaust. It tops over 90mph but it's a 2-stroke. It has 10" wheels. Also have a Vespa bored out to 170cc, does 75mph with 10" wheels. Also have a standard Lambretta 200cc, does 65mph.
My old Vespa GTS300 did 85mph b4 the Rev limiter cut in but it had larger 12/13" wheels. My old Italjet Dragster 180 was a 2-stroke. Fitted with Malossi variator & Scorpion exhaust, did 89mph with 12/13" wheels.
My Gilera Nexus 500 could do 115mph but that was a larger heavier scooter with big wheels.
I'm not too bothered about speed this time as I'm buying a scooter for driving in Pattaya & all I need is good brakes and good handling!

I also found the PCX uncomfortable, rode one about 50km and had a sore back, strange for a roomy bike, I guess we are all built differently, but as I said they seem keen to offer test rides.

There seems to be a nostalgia factor here with you, but bear in mind these are plastic not steel panels, so old-school customising with mirrors and lights is going to be limited/difficult. Plus doing anything close to 115mph on Thai roads with 10" wheels??......"may your god go with you."

I looked at the 3 scooters in one afternoon and my comments were first impressions of the Scomadi, I really wanted to like it and am a little patriotic, but not blinded by it.

I am interested as we do plan on getting a scooter soon, I rode my son's 9 year old Fino around for 3 months and really miss it. Our workhouse Wave is boring and a little uncomfortable in comparison and the Lifan dirt bike, well fun as it is, it is not the ideal shopping trolley.

Well I've bought one finally. Collect it later this afternoon. They have 2 carbon fibre painted scomadi's just arrived late on Friday. Both are sold, one to me. They look quite stunning & sporty compared to the other colours. Was only an additional 2000 baht. Unsure how they can spray a carbon effect without being a custom paint job?
It has 12" wheels so more sturdy & also adjustable shocks. U get a key to adjust both the rear shock & the twin front shocks. I'll see how it rides on the current settings.
As u say, it's plastic not metal. Time will tell how the panels last in time.
Yes its nostalgia for me. Used to have lights n mirrors on 1 of my lambrettas but my last 2 I've customised with a race paint job & the other with murals on the paint.

42 minutes ago, LammyTS1 said:

The rear has 4 preset settings. The twin front shocks u can adjust manually to your liking.

But that's preload only I assume. Or do they also offer compression and rebound dampening adjustment? That would be a surprise for a scooter. That's why I asked what parameters one can adjust.

Congt on the scooter LTS1, please post some photos and do a short review when you tried it out for some km's.:smile:

I can't get comfortable on scooters, my pcx is fine for short stints around Pattaya but when I ride from my house in north Pattaya to Jomtien, I start getting a numb bum, ha-ha.

Well as I said before, I find those slow scooters dangerous out on the highways and don't ride Thai small bikes there anymore but my V650 where I normally go slightly faster than average traffic speeds, I fell safer this way, not being overtaken by big buses and lorries. Furthermore my V is fairly comfy with high riding position and a good screen offering good wind protection when doing over 130km/h.

Well I've bought one finally. Collect it later this afternoon. They have 2 carbon fibre painted scomadi's just arrived late on Friday. Both are sold, one to me. They look quite stunning & sporty compared to the other colours. Was only an additional 2000 baht. Unsure how they can spray a carbon effect without being a custom paint job?
It has 12" wheels so more sturdy & also adjustable shocks. U get a key to adjust both the rear shock & the twin front shocks. I'll see how it rides on the current settings.
Yes its nostalgia for me. Used to have lights n mirrors on 1 of my lambrettas but my last 2 I've customised with a race paint job & the other with murals on the paint.

Why didn't you wait til March for the tl200??
I can show you numerous used scomadi 125s for sale online if the urge was hard to control. Thais are dumping them for the new one at a rapid rate.
Oh well.

Why didn't you wait til March for the tl200??
I can show you numerous used scomadi 125s for sale online if the urge was hard to control. Thais are dumping them for the new one at a rapid rate.
Oh well.

There is no 200 coming out in Thailand.
It is going to be a 150 and not worth the extra cash for minimal gain. Even if I want more speed, I can buy 150 or 170 conversions. The 170 quicker than the euro 180(not 200).
The 125 is very quick off the mark and more than enough for running about Pattaya.
I looked for used ones but as soon as they appear for sale, they are sold instantly. I called a few sellers. Anyway, after seeing the Kevlar one, no other colour i wanted and nobody is selling used Kevlar scomadi's.
At my local dealer, 2 scomadi's were delivered late Friday and by Monday, both were sold!

23 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Congratulations mate, hope you have a lot of fun on it. Keep us updated, these different bikes deserve to succeed, there are two many dullards out there and biking is nothing if it ain't fun.

I would image the kevlar is done in the same way as with vinyl wrap, but printed straight onto the plastic panel. It may even have been done on the flat sheet, before the panels are formed, my engineering is a bit out of date, so that's only a guess.

Ride safe!

Cheers Allan, only drove 18km last night but had a smile on my face everywhere I went and even when parked up admiring it.
Don't mind paying extra money for that.
Dying to get out on it today but pouring rain & thunder here in Pattaya :-(
Yes the kevlar(carbon) must be printed and the chrome ones must be the same.
Compared to the Yamaha & Honda pcx, every speed hump that I drove over didn't make my body shake all over! Was a pleasure to ride.
Will keep u posted

Cheers Allan, only drove 18km last night but had a smile on my face everywhere I went and even when parked up admiring it.

Don't mind paying extra money for that.

Dying to get out on it today but pouring rain & thunder here in Pattaya :-(

Yes the kevlar(carbon) must be printed and the chrome ones must be the same.

Compared to the Yamaha & Honda pcx, every speed hump that I drove over didn't make my body shake all over! Was a pleasure to ride.

Will keep u posted

The 'printing' process is called Aquagraphics.. lots of vids on U Tube. Used on car wheels and plastic bits for bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. I've been after a real Lam for months but either way too pricey/already restored or "no book"

I had a look at Scomadi and love the shape and size. Just wish it had gears and a 200cc two stroke. Let us all know how you get on with it. Plenty of interest I'm sure.

There is no 200 coming out in Thailand.
It is going to be a 150 and not worth the extra cash for minimal gain. Even if I want more speed, I can buy 150 or 170 conversions. The 170 quicker than the euro 180(not 200).
The 125 is very quick off the mark and more than enough for running about Pattaya.
I looked for used ones but as soon as they appear for sale, they are sold instantly. I called a few sellers. Anyway, after seeing the Kevlar one, no other colour i wanted and nobody is selling used Kevlar scomadi's.
At my local dealer, 2 scomadi's were delivered late Friday and by Monday, both were sold!

Where are you getting your information? The tl200 is definitely coming.
I think the sales people said no have and you took the bait for the 125 lump.
You should have picked one up used with 1000 or so kms. Many online right now for 80k or less.

The sales people hadn't heard of the 200(if that was true?, lol) so I spoke with the mechanic about it & he told me it's going to be a 150 for the Thai market. No date yet as to when going on sale.
Only colour I wanted was Kevlar. Back in uk I had a GTS300 & paid £4450 (£850 more) just so I could get an Orange one rather than plumping for a red/white/black one that I could have got for £3600.
I could have bought a red scomadi 2 months old for 72,000 baht right here in Pattaya but don't like red. I felt that if I'd bought it, I would regret not getting the Kevlar.

22 hours ago, sebastion said:

Where are you getting your information? The tl200 is definitely coming.
I think the sales people said no have and you took the bait for the 125 lump.
You should have picked one up used with 1000 or so kms. Many online right now for 80k or less.

So where did you hear about the 200cc?

Bought a white Grande Filano today at 50k baht, including everything, plus rear rack and Yammy helmet.

That's about half the Scomadi, the main reason, apart from the orders I received from 'er indoors, was the room. Plenty of bum space, comfortable riding position and bags of under-seat storage.......

I do get the Scomadi though, no one is going to look twice at the Yammy.

So where did you hear about the 200cc?

Straight from the Scomadi dealer in Phuket who had just came back from Singapore from the Asia unveiling. Singapore already has them on the road. It will be here March 2017 and close to 180k baht.

It's actually a 180cc engine but a lovely little twin cam.

https://www.facebook.com/scomadisg/

1 hour ago, sebastion said:

Straight from the Scomadi dealer in Phuket who had just came back from Singapore from the Asia unveiling. Singapore already has them on the road. It will be here March 2017 and close to 180k baht.

It's actually a 180cc engine but a lovely little twin cam.

https://www.facebook.com/scomadisg/

Thanks for the link.

On the facebook page there is a link where they write that there are plans of shifting production from China to Thailand and they also write that only the 200 is sold in Singapore.

I will not rule out when I am done with big bikes (not getting any younger) that I will be a scooter dude (Ha-ha) and looks like a Scomadi could be fun (the 200) and perhaps there will even be some clubs where owners could meet up and exchange experiences and do some scootering together, in other words having some fun without going too fast.

https://thegasolineaddict.wordpress.com/2016/11/02/scomadi-introduction-please/

Like I said we bought a Grand Filino and went out on it last night, a nice bike, well made, but there is no excitement there, I just wanted to be back on my cruder Lifan. 

I think the Chinese are on to something, the Japs are so set in their ways of making things by the book using technology to the max....but the soul is lost IMO.

The Chinese are taking/making these old models designed when life was a little more interesting and less homologated. The early days of these models "may" have lacked a little in terms of reliability, but they were innovative and fun.

Perhaps fun is making a return......

Saw a couple of these Scomadies out last night and looked on with envy.

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

It's a scooter - quite frugal I would think.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

The Fino is also a Yamaha scooter, and although it was good in every other way, it

was terrible with fuel consumption, a Forza would be your best bet.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

The Fino is also a Yamaha scooter, and although it was good in every other way, it

was terrible with fuel consumption, a Forza would be your best bet.

When we get a new bike (or S/H) we always do a check.

Just did a trip (2 up) on our new Grand Filano 156mpg full to full, Our Wave gave us 202mpg when it was new, the Lifan 120mpg. A friend of mine got 120mpg out of his 1 year old PCX got around 120mpg.

I am told the new Filano is better than the Fino.........