Egypt may ban niqabs in state institutions and public places

webfact

Egypt may ban niqabs in state institutions and public places

n.jpg
Niqab. File photo, source Internet

CAIRO, Egypt - A pro-government alliance of Egyptian lawmakers has unveiled a controversial plan for drafting a law banning the niqab or the full-face veil in the predominantly Muslim country.

The Egypt Support Coalition, which claims to comprise some 250 members at the 595-strong legislature, has said that the law will prohibit Muslim women from donning the head-to-toe attire in state institutions and public places.

The bid comes months after Egypt’s main public academic institution, Cairo University, barred its female teachers from wearing the niqab inside lecture halls. In January, a court upheld the university’s ban.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/69195/egypt-may-ban-niqabs-state-institutions-and-public-places

-- eTN 2016-03-08

Egypt sets itself apart from the mainstream Muslim countries by refusing to take the hardline extremist position on all things Islamic...

They are a ray of hope in an otherwise dark area of the world...

The US and the world should reward and encourage such acts of reason in the face of the customary Muslim intolerance...

Egypt sets itself apart from the mainstream Muslim countries by refusing to take the hardline extremist position on all things Islamic...

The US and the world should reward and encourage such acts of reason in the face of the customary Muslim intolerance...

Agreed, now that the Muslim Brotherhood got the boot.

I hope that the Niqab is banned in all parts of the world.

In Canada it seems that we are supposed to be happy for

the women to wear the Niqab even though it obscures their identity.

I tried to wear a ski mask, or balaclava, but was told that it was against the law to go into a bank

or I would get arrested. Guess I should have bought a Niqab and maybe I would have been all right.

Geezer

I hope that the Niqab is banned in all parts of the world.

In Canada it seems that we are supposed to be happy for

the women to wear the Niqab even though it obscures their identity.

I tried to wear a ski mask, or balaclava, but was told that it was against the law to go into a bank

or I would get arrested. Guess I should have bought a Niqab and maybe I would have been all right.

Geezer

Try paying for your fuel while wearing a full-face motorcycle helmet.

Depressingly Obama seems to preside over an administration that supports the Muslim brotherhood and not the secular voices of reason within Egypt.

Why ban it ????

How about give women the freedom of choice to wear it or not ? A woman wants to wear it, let her. She don't want to wear it, let her. Giving women the freedom of choice to wear OR not wear it, this surely, is FREEDOM OF CHOICE ???

One reason for the ban is security. And in that part of the world, there is no freedom of choice. Especially for women. Sadly.

Why ban it ????

How about give women the freedom of choice to wear it or not ? A woman wants to wear it, let her. She don't want to wear it, let her. Giving women the freedom of choice to wear OR not wear it, this surely, is FREEDOM OF CHOICE ???

I'll support the right of women to hide their identity when I can wear a full face helmet into a bank, with the mirror visor down. it's a question of security, not freedom of dress choices.

Do you have to wear a seat belt in a car, helmet on a bike, can you use heroin legally? Do you have freedom of choice?

Depressingly Obama seems to preside over an administration that supports the Muslim brotherhood and not the secular voices of reason within Egypt.

That's just possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life...

Hmmmmm. You must lead a sheltered life then smile.png .

It's being reported in some tinfoil hat websites that Obama met with the Muslim Brotherhood in the US. He didn't. He did meet with Muslim leaders from a variety of organizations based in the US. Good for him.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/6/wh-gives-names-muslim-leaders-who-met-obama/

It's being reported in some tinfoil hat websites that Obama met with the Muslim Brotherhood in the US. He didn't. He did meet with Muslim leaders from a variety of organizations based in the US. Good for him.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/6/wh-gives-names-muslim-leaders-who-met-obama/

It's beyond the scope of this thread to detail all the support Obama has given the Muslim Brotherhood, suffice to say the ball was set in motion when Obama insisted on Morsi being allowed to attend a speech he made in Cairo when Mubarak was still in charge.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/viewSubCategory.asp?id=1949

Indeed recently the UK government after an investigation concluded the Muslim Brotherhood supported violence, which mirrored a conclusion already made by several gulf states. The Obama administration disagreed with the UK government findings. Any objective viewer can find many sources of evidence demonstrating US support for the Brotherhood, the key question being why?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/28/muslim-brotherhood-report-by-britain-contradicts-u/?page=all

The investigative paper says the Brotherhood promotes (and sometimes takes a role in) violence; seeks world domination of Shariah, or Islamic, law; and views other religions as illegitimate. Its senior leaders “routinely use virulent anti-Semitic language” and have justified the killings of American and other coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Seeks world domination of Sharia, little wonder they are against Egypt trying to ban the Niqab.

Edited by Steely Dan

It's beyond the scope of this thread to detail all the support Obama has given the Muslim Brotherhood, suffice to say the ball was set in motion when Obama insisted on Morsi being allowed to attend a speech he made in Cairo when Mubarak was still in charge.

Indeed recently the UK government after an investigation concluded the Muslim Brotherhood supported violence, which mirrored a conclusion already made by several gulf states. The Obama administration disagreed with the UK government findings. Any objective viewer can find many sources of evidence demonstrating US support for the Brotherhood, the key question being why?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/28/muslim-brotherhood-report-by-britain-contradicts-u/?page=all

The investigative paper says the Brotherhood promotes (and sometimes takes a role in) violence; seeks world domination of Shariah, or Islamic, law; and views other religions as illegitimate. Its senior leaders “routinely use virulent anti-Semitic language” and have justified the killings of American and other coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Seeks world domination of Sharia, little wonder they are against Egypt trying to ban the Niqab.

From Wikipedia about the first source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_the_Networks

The website has been criticized for including leftists on the same list as Islamists.

Hardly credible. Sorry. And hardly evidence Obama is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood versus the secular voices of reason in Egypt.

From Wikipedia about the first source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_the_Networks

The website has been criticized for including leftists on the same list as Islamists.

Hardly credible. Sorry. And hardly evidence Obama is supporting the Muslim Brotherhood versus the secular voices of reason in Egypt.

Interesting that Wiki also have this quote in connection with Anne Patterson, US Ambassador to Egypt from 2011 to 2013:

During the protests that ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi from power on July 3, 2013 Patterson was singled out specially by the protesters for being too close to Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_W._Patterson

The above quote coming from an article in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/world/middleeast/ambassador-becomes-focus-of-egyptians-mistrust-of-us.html?_r=0

I was in Cairo during that period (based there, off and on, from 2003 to 2014) and was made aware by the local employees of my company that the support given by the US to the MB was of great concern to the Copts as well as the free thinking Muslims. They expressed huge concern that the MB were working themselves into a position of staying in power for the long term, by fair means or foul. Their disappointment in the overt and covert actions of the US in seeming to give tacit approval to the MB, in the interests of 'democracy', was palpable.

Interesting that Wiki also have this quote in connection with Anne Patterson, US Ambassador to Egypt from 2011 to 2013:

During the protests that ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi from power on July 3, 2013 Patterson was singled out specially by the protesters for being too close to Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_W._Patterson

The above quote coming from an article in the NYT.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/world/middleeast/ambassador-becomes-focus-of-egyptians-mistrust-of-us.html?_r=0

I was in Cairo during that period (based there, off and on, from 2003 to 2014) and was made aware by the local employees of my company that the support given by the US to the MB was of great concern to the Copts as well as the free thinking Muslims. They expressed huge concern that the MB were working themselves into a position of staying in power for the long term, by fair means or foul. Their disappointment in the overt and covert actions of the US in seeming to give tacit approval to the MB, in the interests of 'democracy', was palpable.

From the same article:

“She’s being lambasted because she’s the face of America,” said Vali Nasr, a former State Department official who worked with Ms. Patterson when she was ambassador to Pakistan.

She was talking to both sides of the political spectrum, something ambassadors from every country in the world do on a regular basis. Especially in countries like Egypt...and Thailand! LOL. Danged if you do, danged if you don't.

I still don't see how the previous comment that Obama ignores the voices of the secular in Egypt. Anybody? Or just deflections?

^^^

I guess we are already off topic so I should call it a day with this line. Suffice to say no Conservative source will probably pass muster with you, less so Egyptian papers which allege Muslim brotherhood infiltration of US government.

Now should Trump get elected I have little doubt that the true facts will see the light of day.