Bangkok will not lack water: Irrigation Dept

webfact

Irrigation dept: BKK will not lack water

BANGKOK, 10 March 2016 (NNT) - The Royal Irrigation Department has confirmed there will be no shortage of water for consumption in Bangkok since the current water volume in major reservoirs will last until July this year.

Spokesman of the Royal Irrigation Department Thongplew Kongchan said the department was confident that it would be able to manage the water volume in four major reservoirs throughout the dry season or until July.

He added that there was sufficient water from all reservoirs and dams under the supervision of the department and the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand for consumption and environmental protection.

Chairman of the Foundation of National Disaster Warning Council of Thailand Smith Thammasaroj earlier said that Bangkok would be affected by a shortage of tap water and high tide. He suggested that people in Bangkok should reserve water for use.

The Ubonrat dam in Khon Kaen province has set plans to use around 500,000 cubic meters of water each day for consumption and environmental protection.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-03-10 footer_n.gif

When there's flooding the govt doesn't really react until the water is lapping at Bkk's door.

Now there's a drought in effect, the price of bottled water is on the control list and there's all sorts of calls for conservation but no matter what Bkk won't go short, SUPPOSEDLY !

So what about the rest of the country ?

What rest of the country ?

Edited by NongKhaiKid

When there's flooding the govt doesn't really react until the water is lapping at Bkk's door.

Now there's a drought in effect, the price of bottled water is on the control list and there's all sorts of calls for conservation but no matter what Bkk won't go short, SUPPOSEDLY !

Not important.. i live near BKK cheesy.gif

Serously.. months and months of reports about stopping the farmers who are the main users of water.. and nothing was done. They should have had the army stop them. That and they should have offered a good amount of compensation. By stopping them to plant the farmers would have not made the investments and the government would only have had to compensate their "profit".

Seriously every government here seems to think that drought / flooding.. will go away and no action is needed. True..stopping farmers would have made the government unpopular.. but not if a good compensation plan was put into action.

Just bad planning and fear to take action because.. it might have rained again and then they would have looked bad.

But will it be fresh water or saline is the question.

sure.. but buying a bit of drinking water is not a problem.. as long as you can shower.. wash dishes flush toilets ect.

I got a water filter.. I could not use it then, but going to shops and getting some water bottles just for drinking.. not much of a problem.

What happens after July ?

Will be in the middle of rainy season then and the daily news reports will be on flooding.

well as you know some parts of Thailand indeed do flood every single year, yet nothing is done to solve that problem fort he last several decades too!

Serously.. months and months of reports about stopping the farmers who are the main users of water.. and nothing was done. They should have had the army stop them. That and they should have offered a good amount of compensation. By stopping them to plant the farmers would have not made the investments and the government would only have had to compensate their "profit".

Seriously every government here seems to think that drought / flooding.. will go away and no action is needed. True..stopping farmers would have made the government unpopular.. but not if a good compensation plan was put into action.

Just bad planning and fear to take action because.. it might have rained again and then they would have looked bad.

You and your missus would be the first to whinge because of the price of imported veggies.

Millions of farmers would become unemployed, the govt would have to find a solution.

At least the farmers water usage is productive. The govt need to crack down on wastage, starting with good old Songkran.

Wouldn't that be more sensible than taking away a farmer's livelihood?

Not if you're a junta fanboy I guess.

You and your missus would be the first to whinge because of the price of imported veggies.

Millions of farmers would become unemployed, the govt would have to find a solution.

At least the farmers water usage is productive. The govt need to crack down on wastage, starting with good old Songkran.

Wouldn't that be more sensible than taking away a farmer's livelihood?

Not if you're a junta fanboy I guess.

I have no missus right now and I would not whinge because many of the veggies are already imported. So the price might rise but not that much. Did you not read i said stop the farmers and compensate them that way they would have money.

Songkran has far more economical and social value as a farmers livelihood. You should see the songrkan spending that i posted in an other topic. Per liter of water Songkran is far better for the country economy wise as farming.

Not if your a old fart that hates Songkran.

You have been banging this drum about "stopping the farmers" for some time now. I think that you are very wrong. let me explain why I think so.

This is a predominately (outside of Bangkok almost totally) agricultural society.

A significant proportion of these farmers are only marginally above the subsistence level.

Their first crop provides them with their staple diet for the year. What is left can be sold to produce a small income.

If their land can bear a second crop that provides them with their cash income, such as it is. They are already at the mercy of (ripped off by) the middlemen and merchants.

Elsewhere today on this forum we read of widespread corruption in the well drilling program. Any compensation/payment for not growing a second crop would inevitably be mired in similar corruption. These small farmers will have looked at what may have been on offer, reasoned from bitter experience that they, as the small people at the end of a very long chain would be unlikely to receive very much, if anything, and then not for a long time. Their is no realistic or reliable source of employment to replace farming. So they have taken the chance.

It's not about greed, it is about economic survival.

What is about greed, and about conspicuous consumption of a scarce resource, ( a point I suspect not wasted on the small farmers) is the liberal use of water to tend golf courses, municipal grounds and so on. There are two golf courses near me, both with sprinklers going. Yet the small farmers should be stopped.

And whilst I appreciate you meant "Not important I live near Bangkok!" as a joke - the truth is that it actually rather is the line actually taken by many others; especially those who are in a position, either through wealth, influence or being in power to actually initiate sensible water saving procedures.

Songkran frankly is irrelevant.

Edited by JAG

But will it be fresh water or saline is the question.

sure.. but buying a bit of drinking water is not a problem.. as long as you can shower.. wash dishes flush toilets ect.

I got a water filter.. I could not use it then, but going to shops and getting some water bottles just for drinking.. not much of a problem.

And what about the tree's and plants? Will you also buy bottled water for them?

Last night I watched 4 guys delivering packs of bottled water to a 7-eleven for more than 1 1/2 hours. It must have been 4 or 5 times the amount they normally store, even brand names they never sold before. I was wondering if they (CP) know more about an expected water shortage than the public.

They should really consider doing something with the waste water... maybe recycle it again for re-consumption...

Oh wait.. Unscrupulous factory owners have already started dumping chemical waste into the sewage system.... ahhh

when will we see water rationing like we have in Australia when there are droughts. The govt really needs to enforce the laws and stop the idiots from using water willy nilly to wash cars, water gardens etc, especially the waste at songkran, this is absolute madness. The people need to learn they can not always do as they please and that sometimes they need to follow the law and what they are told, the govt needs to be hard about water and stop all the waste.