Are Americans starting to "queue"?

arunsakda

Just had the pleasure of spending weekend in Las Vegas. Wish I had a pic but in Caesars' Palace there was a sign saying "VIP Queue".

Also heard some American kids (speaking loudly in strong American accent) talking about "queuing up" for a Club.

Wonder if this is a cultural trend as I have never heard anything over there other than get in "line" or "lining up".

I don't recall hearing that term in the US - not even once. Every new generation does like to pick up it's own "new" words or even make them up.

The US is segmented into a lot of different cultures. Even the foods they eat are different. You aren't likely to find the common southern catfish and hush puppies from the South in a restaurant on the West Coast.

People in different regions of the US have different sayings and accents. I don't recall ever hearing that term in the US so I would speculate that perhaps the kids picked that up from someone from Europe. Las Vegas is very international as you know. I also don't hang around young people much any more so I don't know the latest lingo.

Thanks for the report. That's interesting.

I use queue often in my engineering and software test jobs. It is fairly common in the technical world talking about job stacks, commands in the queue waiting to be sent, etc. But I agree that I have rarely heard it used in every day life. Line is long, or get in the line is way more common.

It is extremely pleasing news to me, as a Brit, to learn that one of our words at least appears to have finally found its way into American usage. But it does not go any significant way towards acting as a meaningful counterbalance to the tidal wave of Americanisms which have crept into British English over the years. A classic example of one such Americanism is, of course, the word "counterbalance"!

In America a quay is a place where boats are tied up. it wasn't till I first went to Europe that I heard the term

The use of the term VIP Queue, is an isolated instance and probably designed to make people feel that they are special as they stand in line waiting for entry

No US newspaper ever reports the queues to get the newest iPhone; everyone is in line waiting for them to go on sale

In America a quay is a place where boats are tied up. it wasn't till I first went to Europe that I heard the term

The use of the term VIP Queue, is an isolated instance and probably designed to make people feel that they are special as they stand in line waiting for entry

No US newspaper ever reports the queues to get the newest iPhone; everyone is in line waiting for them to go on sale

In Murica a dock or pier is where boats are tied up to.

This thread jogged my memory re: the first time I heard the word "queue."

It was in the Rolling Stones tune "Live with Me."

And there's a score of harebrained children

They're all locked in the nursery

They got earphone heads they got dirty necks

They're so 20th century

Well they queue up for the bathroom

Round about 7:35

Don'cha think we need a woman's touch to make it come alive?

From the "Get Your Ya Yas Out" record.

I was about 13 or 14 years old and living on a steady diet of British rock and roll.

• 2 months later...

.Yes--even though we both speak the same language, it's amazing how there are some subtle differences between American-English and proper English:

They say "sidewalk" we say "pavement"

They say "pants" we say "trousers"

They say Line up we say "Queue"

They say "shot & buried at sea"....... we say "naked and chained to a metal bed frame with a car battery connected to his borrocks whilst being beaten for answers"........................coffee1.gif

I think British English is spreading in the U.S. now because of the popularity of many quality British t.v. shows.

-------------------------

When working with Brits you tend to start talking like them

Anybody else (American) ever hear of being knackered or being Gobsmacked?

I think British English is spreading in the U.S. now because of the popularity of many quality British t.v. shows.

-------------------------

When working with Brits you tend to start talking like them

Anybody else (American) ever hear of being knackered or being Gobsmacked?

What about "Gutted"..... That's a classic....

In Murica a dock or pier is where boats are tied up to.

----------------------------

Isn't it in Singapore where there is a tourist street down near the harbor area that is known as the quay....which I mispronounced as it should be pronounced like key?

My brother lives in a town near Boston which is spelled Gloucester.

I grew up in Massachusetts a few miles from a town called Whately.

And we have "English Muffins", what nobody probably has ever heard of in the UK. Kind of like crumpets but not really same.

Was just on West Coast last month . Two packets for $6 with club card at Ralph's. If you don't have one they will lend it to you

at the check out stand. Amazing how cheap food can be there, or how much we are fleeced for imported delicacies.

post-84769-0-58250500-1465106271_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Archived