Metropolitan police chief tells foreigners to carry passports or copies at all times

rooster59

Have a nice time in jail then, the law says you need to carry your original passport at all time, tourist or ex-pad

it would have been nice if the thai government issued id cards for ex-pads here but as long as they dont, have your passport with you and if is to heavy for you find another country that dont require you to carry it

I would not carry my original passport under any circumstances, unless I am traveling overseas, or going to immigration. Always carry a color copy of my passport in my wallet, and have begun carrying a copy of the visa page too. If that is not enough for them, too bad. Non cooperation is what they deserve on this one. This is too much to ask. Asking an expat to carry their original passport at all times, would be the equivalent of asking a Jew in Germany in the late 1930's to carry their Jewish identification papers with them, and to wear a star of David on their clothing. It is way, way beyond the pale, and not something I am willing to cooperate with, on any level.

Thailand really needs to get it's act together, when it comes to having the right attitude about both tourists and ex-pats. The government is the one in need of an attitude adjustment.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a nice time in jail then, the law says you need to carry your original passport at all time, tourist or ex-pad

it would have been nice if the thai government issued id cards for ex-pads here but as long as they dont, have your passport with you and if is to heavy for you find another country that dont require you to carry it

I would not carry my original passport under any circumstances, unless I am traveling overseas, or going to immigration. Always carry a color copy of my passport in my wallet, and have begun carrying a copy of the visa page too. If that is not enough for them, too bad. Non cooperation is what they deserve on this one. This is too much to ask. Asking an expat to carry their original passport at all times, would be the equivalent of asking a Jew in Germany in the late 1930's to carry their Jewish identification papers with them, and to wear a star of David on their clothing. It is way, way beyond the pale, and not something I am willing to cooperate with, on any level.

Thailand really needs to get it's act together, when it comes to having the right attitude about both tourists and ex-pats. The government is the one in need of an attitude adjustment.

Absolutely, positively incorrect information. As you can see by the quote, even this police spokesman said a copy is adequate. No jail time. That is sheer foolishness.

“The reason I decided to do the mission tonight is because many entertainment venues which attract foreign tourists are located in these areas. And since many foreigners visit these areas I’m afraid some of them might have ill-intentions to be involved in dark business, or even crimes, especially trans-national crime.

“This operation also helps to boost confidence between tourists and the security forces”, he added.

“I also want to ask for cooperation from all tourists to carry their passports or a photocopy every time when they go out.”

Even my original passport with all it's correct visas/ entry stamps etc, was not sufficient for The Ministry Of Foreign Affairs in Ubon. NO, they would not give the requisite stamp to my certified translated copy of it , without a letter from my embassy stating " that my passport was genuine" !

Just laughable...

What's an ex-pad, an Irish expat?

Somebody just wrote on the visa forum that they got caught overstaying whilst high on the old herbs!

Police had a word with the bloke and sent him on his way!

NO trip to the monkey house & NO 5 year ban.

There are way too many people on this forum that believe these crackdowns are going to be enforced to the exact letter of the law.

Everything is negotiable in Toyland

a poor if not p++s poor comparison