Why is it that thai drivers never slow down for pedestrians

karl2007

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that really annoys me is that whenever I have to do a three point turn as many motorbikes as possible try and overtake me when I am both reversing and going forward. It is like they are trying get into a wreck. They have no concept that if they all go through single file that it actually takes longer. I don't wait care anymore and I just proceed. One guy slammed on his brakes last minute and was shocked that I didn't yield to him (like most drivers here do).

I had a motorcycle with a side car do this the other day. Squeezed right past my bumper while I was still making my turnaround. He just had to get in front of me so he could do 10kmh. I proceeded to pass him in the 20 meters between there and the stop sign.

It's simple, really. All over Asia, not just in Thailand, the rule is this: the bigger vehicle has the right of way, and smaller vehicles must defer. Period. Think how low one is in this hierarchy when you're on the road (walking) without a vehicle at all...

All over Asia - not quite. You should visit Singapore.

It's simple, really. All over Asia, not just in Thailand, the rule is this: the bigger vehicle has the right of way, and smaller vehicles must defer. Period. Think how low one is in this hierarchy when you're on the road (walking) without a vehicle at all...

the "truth" well spoken ...samo-samo in all asia except japan , a little better there .

whistling.gif

It's quite simple as are the populace too!

Thai are chronically IMPATIENT and hate waiting for 1 second for anything.

Hence the carnage on the roads as they take a chance instead of waiting only 1 second!

You see it everywhere .... in shops they stand waiting ( unless they push in front.....looking puzzled....why am I waiting!

In a lift ( Elevator for any Yanks reading this ) they always press the CLOSE doors button again to save 1 second.

So Dumb!blink.png

Yet strangely they will refuse to walk on a moving walkway, even going down, and waste minutes.

Until the Thais do a proper driving test which takes place on real roads in real traffic, with no corruption, nothing is going to change. And unless a proper Probationary period is also introduced as in other countries, young drivers will be allowed to get away with whatever they like.

whistling.gif

It's quite simple as are the populace too!

Thai are chronically IMPATIENT and hate waiting for 1 second for anything.

Hence the carnage on the roads as they take a chance instead of waiting only 1 second!

You see it everywhere .... in shops they stand waiting ( unless they push in front.....looking puzzled....why am I waiting!

In a lift ( Elevator for any Yanks reading this ) they always press the CLOSE doors button again to save 1 second.

So Dumb!blink.png

Yeah, I've noticed that elevator CLOSE doors button thing, too. I try not to for fear of offending, but sometimes I can't help but break a little grin... What's more aggravating is their habit of standing RIGHT at the door so nobody has a chance to even get off before they start piling on the moment the doors open. No seeming awareness whatsoever that there MIGHT be somebody already IN the elevator when it stops. Not just Thais though.

Friend of mine emailed me a few days ago, got caught walking on a pedestrian crossing against the red light. Fine was over $100. I drove through a pedestrian crossing (no pedestrians on it) in Adelaide, got fined over $300 and that was 7 years ago.

You lost me - why would you have to stop if no one crossing the road ? Or is it the law to stop for them all ?

Did you pass your test? If any traffic light is on red you cannot proceed.

In the initial quote it was not stated that the light was red when he drove through so why stop. That was cleared up later.

They don't slow down for anything, hence the daily carnage......sad.png

ahh now there youre wrong..............once they see a nice pile of "carnage" they all slow down for the photo shoot opportunity

I would say it is that a lack of understanding of the law regarding zebra crossings. Not bashing but everyone who I have spoken with didn't know the law, regarding zebra crossings or roundabouts and many other things. Hope it answers your question.

it isn't about the law! You obviously haven't spoken to many people. All Thai drivers are themselves pedestrians as well and they all know that it is a crossing put there as an "official" place where there is supposed to be less danger and Thai drivers should slow down and stop but as the OP says and we all know, they don't. They will even hoot you off the crossing!!

In Hang Dong, there is a very busy main road in the middle of the town where people are constantly needing to cross to reach the equally busy market. On the crossing there is a box on either side of the road with red flags inside. A pedestrian has to pick up a flag, waving it to oncoming traffic and then place it in the box on the other side. Even then, vehicles are passing either side of you in the middle of the road. What a nonsense this is!!

When I approach crossings I have a mind to stop for waiting pedestrians, but there is a danger in this. (in Thailand). A few times, I have stopped and vehicles, mainly motorbikes, have passed by me on the inside and left those crossing subject to a nasty accident. So what do I do? I feel guilty when not stopping but by doing so I could be the unwitting cause of an accident due to other irresponsible and couldn't-care-less drivers.

When I am a pedestrian and crossing the road, I point vigorously at the crossing and nearly everyone acknowledges me realising they are wrong!!

I am appalled by this dangerous, reckless driving and just plain bad attitude and disgusted that anyone in Government has done nothing in the 13 years I have been here to address this matter - as well as many other aspects of "death on the roads"

My take on this has to do with status. If you have a car, then it appears you have money and status. No Thai would walk when they could ride, so pedestrian must be poor to be on foot. Lower status must defer to higher status, and get the heck out of the way

What are you talking about? The moment you park your car you become a pedestrian!

My pet peeve is the not slowing down to yield even at RED LIGHTS.

I have a question perhaps some can answer.

Would many of these drivers at least slow down at RED LIGHTS if there a policeman standing right there?

I also wonder why the police don't go after these easy pickings.

It is illegal, isn't it, to not even SLOW DOWN at a RED LIGHT when there pedestrians obviously trying to cross? Or not?
Couldn't they clean up in FINES by nabbing these culprits?
Yes I've never seen that happen, not even once.

Yes it's a lot more work than the roadblocks for no helmets.

They'd actually have to chase people. Oh, no!

My pet peeve is the not slowing down to yield even at RED LIGHTS.

I have a question perhaps some can answer.

Would many of these drivers at least slow down at RED LIGHTS if there a policeman standing right there?

I also wonder why the police don't go after these easy pickings.

It is illegal, isn't it, to not even SLOW DOWN at a RED LIGHT when there pedestrians obviously trying to cross? Or not?

Couldn't they clean up in FINES by nabbing these culprits?

Yes I've never seen that happen, not even once.

Yes it's a lot more work than the roadblocks for no helmets.

They'd actually have to chase people. Oh, no!

I am always amazed when the red light turns green and scooters making a turn across the traffic lane immediate take off before the oncoming traffic goes. It all seems very polite but then every car and truck waiting to make that same turn continues to go while the oncoming traffic, who actually have the green light, wait and try to edge their way forward.

I have see oncoming traffic miss the light completely because they could not make it through the intersection before the light changes to red once again.

I am talking about left turn on red.

A busy intersection I use often.

The traffic just keeps coming, full speed, during the entire time the light is red.

Not talking about rushing in the beginning of the red.

So as a pedestrian you wait for the red hoping it will be safer to cross then, and in some ways, it's less safe.

I am done with stopping for pedestrians. Already three cars hit in my back stopping for pedestrians. Non of them had a insurance.

I understand but keep it up and someday you might kill someone, even a child.

If that happens, have you gone so native that you'd flee the scene?

Edited by Jingthing

not been here long then ? just askin,never but never cross on a zebra,wait for someone else brave enough to step out, then when traffic stops only then is it safe to cross, or perhaps not, watch out for scooters flying up the blind side, and that is if you haven't been knocked down on the pavement by one beforehand

I would say it is that a lack of understanding of the law regarding zebra crossings. Not bashing but everyone who I have spoken with didn't know the law, regarding zebra crossings or roundabouts and many other things. Hope it answers your question.

There is a lot of common sense needed here, and Thai drivers and motorbikes riders are not compatible with that.

Not long ago only wealthy people in Thailand had cars. Thailand always gives the right of way to the wealthy. Today, people in cars feel they mus be superior to those walking so the ones on foot should defer to them...

So all those walking anywhere don't have a car? "Not long ago" could mean 5 years. I am surprised this post has survived been deleted!

Because if they slow down, they fear getting rear-ended. Everyone tail-gates here.

I certainly don't tailgate here, and neither do a lot of people I know. Best way to deal with tailgating is to pump the brakes a little. It sends a strong message - Back off!

I am talking about left turn on red.

A busy intersection I use often.

The traffic just keeps coming, full speed, during the entire time the light is red.

Not talking about rushing in the beginning of the red.

So as a pedestrian you wait for the red hoping it will be safer to cross then, and in some ways, it's less safe.

The red light is seen as a suggestion only

Law of economics . It costs nothing for a pedestrian to stop and wait , it costs a lot for motorvehicules to stop and drive off again. Look at your gas/diesel comsumption meter as you drive off from stopping. In my stupid country , you have to stop when a pedestrian comes near a crossing , so 1 to 20 vehicules (or more) have to brake and drive again for 1 pedestrian ( or bicycle) ...ridiculous , insane ! Be glad you live in Thailand ! I don't stop for pedestrians either. They are the lowest in the traffic food chain. ( I stop for dogs & cats though).

This has got to be either a troll post, or someone with Thai mentality.

Pedestrians have the right to cross the road.

IMO. Zebra crossings should be done away with and replaced with pedestrian lights, then

both the driver and the pedestrian have an equal chance. This would apply in Western countries also.

Back in 1967, when I was learning to drive in the UK, my instructor asked me one day, "When do you give way to pedestrians?", to which I replied, "On a zebra crossing".

He, an ascerbic Welshman well used to know-it-all students then said, in a voice heavy with sarcasm, "So if they are not on a crossing what will you do, run them over?"

I have often wondered what the response would be if you asked a Thai driver the same questions. Probably blank incomprehension or even, "Yes!, yes!"