THE England thread

rijit

2 hours ago, alfieconn said:

Totally disagree, Belgium will play a weakened team, England will rest players, probably be a non event.

Well we will all see if you are right on Thursday, but momentum and confidence matter ... not to mention that you play the runner up ... so I reckon he'd only hold a player back for technical reasons, like a booking or a niggling injury.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

I can see us scoring against anyone but its the conceding that worries me.  Those three do not have the pure defensive attributes to make a back three.

At Spurs, we were doing it with Alderweirald and Vertonghen who have played 257 games together, and are both superior defensively to any English center back.  

Belgium dont look that good at the back to me....just like England they have a mistake or two in them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carmine said:

Rose in for Trippier?  You sure about that!?  Sounds like a disaster.

Kane is our best striker but he should only play if the set up allows for Rashford too.  If Kane gets crocked we need the back up striker with minutes played and some form.

As i see it the key issue for England now, and it is an issue, is the defense.  They inspire no confidence whatsoever, even against a pub side like Panama.  This must be knocked into shape before the knockout stage begins, that is, our usual departure date.

Agreed.  In the friendly games against some class opposition England defended really well and it was that which gave me hope for this tournament, because in the end it always comes down to good defending, and taking your few chances the other end.

Some of the passing was utterly astray in the early stages against Panama and for a while against Tunisia.  I wonder if this was because England played a high press.  If nothing else we have learned to unlock weak teams- you couldn't say that previously.

Against a decent team, we largely surrender midfield, sit deep, and rely on counter attack.  This style actually suits us best imo.  There will be less opportunity and time for the defence to err bizarrely.  That said, I really hope Rose comes back in, and Cahill too.  We simply can't give the ball away at the back.

I hope the Belgium game isn't a dull spectacle, but suspect it will be.

3 hours ago, StevieH said:

there's a lot of responsibility on henderson in that formation and i still think that a back 3 will be exposed and got at by better sides. perhaps not belgium if martinez does play his second string but a front three of hazard, lukaku and mertens would give england problems.

It would give anyone problems.  Before the competition the pundits predicted one deep midfielder against P and T, and then two against Belgium.

Although Walker is a super player, he was undone in both games, and Magoo looks ponderous at times (maybe it's just his running gait).

One big dilemma- to strengthen the defence means to change the wing backs, but in doing so you've lost potency in dead ball situations.

I would make loads of changes. We are both through so no point risking injuries.

Also its a chance to get other players involved and feel apart of the squad and give us options if a injury occurs.

May even change the formation. As much as i didnt fancy Southgate as a player and and as a manager at Middlesborough he seems to of found his niche with the England job. Players look happy, playing high tempo and confident.

I know we have only played poor teams but the attitude and approach is refreshing.

Edited by Mooner

41 minutes ago, Mooner said:

I would make loads of changes. We are both through so no point risking injuries.

I know what you mean and it's a difficult one but I'd play a full strength team. Keep the run and winning mentality going and let the guys carry on getting used to playing with each other

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I know what you mean and it's a difficult one but I'd play a full strength team. Keep the run and winning mentality going and let the guys carry on getting used to playing with each other

+1

Gotta be the way to go.

2 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Shame there aren't any Russian Ultras about to belt the English band in to submission, those songs are so old and shiite. 

"the soundtrack is english" says the commentator as the england fans belt out the anthem of the united kingdom and commonwealth.

that band needs their brass instruments ramming up their back ends of course.

enjoying watching trent AA being the scouse cafu as it goes.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, StevieH said:

"the soundtrack is english" says the commentator as the england fans belt out the anthem of the united kingdom and commonwealth.

that band needs their brass instruments ramming up their back ends of course.

enjoying watching trent AA being the scouse cafu as it goes.

Those lads singing, horning, Earth Wind & Fire must be as old as my dad, and not even half as cool. September....get to <deleted>

Trent getting in on the free-kicks and corners too, nice one Gareth

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

Those lads singing, horning, Earth Wind & Fire must be as old as my dad, and not even half as cool. September....get to <deleted>

Trent getting in on the free-kicks and corners too, nice one Gareth

Earth, Wind & Piss, and Royal Pisstannia on loop. 

Highly recommend turning the sound down and whacking on True Geordie Youtube live stream for England matches...

Edited by BangrakBob

Perhaps it's a much needed reality check, and will galavanize us for the match, which counts. England are so much better in possession than I've ever seen before, but Belgium still had that bit of class.

Rashford played a very good game, but when it really mattered he fell short.  Great strikers only need to be asked once.

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Perhaps it's a much needed reality check, and will galavanize us for the match, which counts. England are so much better in possession than I've ever seen before, but Belgium still had that bit of class.

Rashford played a very good game, but when it really mattered he fell short.  Great strikers only need to be asked once.

Rashford was being played out of position again...

The midfield were crap, missing Henderson 

Edited by BangrakBob
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BangrakBob said:

henderson is about the most underrated player in the game right now. he helps the defence and his vertical passing is excellent. he's vital to this england team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Fellani bossed the midfield. Dier was just that. 

Henderson was sorely missed. 

• Like 2

If England lose to Columbia Southgate gonna get a Hodgson in the press. If they win he’s a tactical genius. 

Little to be learned from that performance apart from the fact that Belgium have a far stronger squad than us. 

I thought the only positives were Rose, who must be pushing Young hard for a start. Delph was decent along with TAA, although the latters set plays went missing. Cahill/Stones looked ok together. 

Worrying thing was lack of created chances. 

30 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

If England lose to Columbia Southgate gonna get a Hodgson in the press. If they win he’s a tactical genius. 

Little to be learned from that performance apart from the fact that Belgium have a far stronger squad than us. 

I thought the only positives were Rose, who must be pushing Young hard for a start. Delph was decent along with TAA, although the latters set plays went missing. Cahill/Stones looked ok together. 

Worrying thing was lack of created chances. 

Belgium are a highly rated side- possibly the best and most primed!  It was a close match.  We are a work in progress- most of us thought we would struggle to get out the group.  As it is, we can field 2 half decent teams.

I don't think it was ideal preparation for either side.  Both should have played their best available team.  In England's case it will just stir up accusations of undue arrogance- Colombia will be gunning for us.

You don't get many chances against top teams: it's about taking them- the problem is Rashford and Sterling have little end product.

Edited by mommysboy