THE England thread

rijit

7 hours ago, StevieH said:

Wilshere, supposedly one of England's next great creative hopes, was apparently wanted on loan by Milan and Roma. He could have gone there, maybe learned a new way of playing, a more disciplined, possession based style etc. But he chose Bournemouth because his best mate is there. 

Yes, enough said really.

6 hours ago, StevieH said:

don't really think any of them are up to 'it' if it is being successful. players continue to be over-hyped and over-rated, english managers tend to be below-average former players with little tactical and technical knowhow, FA that rules over the whole thing is unfit for purpose and prizes commercial success over on-pitch success. 

nothing seems to change. perform awfully at another tournament, change next to nothing, expect different results. but hey, richest league in the world and all that.

I think the total lack of expectation that greeted the Alladyce appointment said it all.  The entire England?FA set up is the same shambolic <deleted> it has been for the past forty years.

Personally i'd love to see some of our more talented players make the move to the technically superior european leagues.  The could atleast learn,  as you say a more disciplined possession based style....before they join the national team set up and have it coached out of them.

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, carmine said:

Yes, enough said really.

I think the total lack of expectation that greeted the Alladyce appointment said it all.  The entire England?FA set up is the same shambolic <deleted> it has been for the past forty years.

Personally i'd love to see some of our more talented players make the move to the technically superior european leagues.  The could atleast learn,  as you say a more disciplined possession based style....before they join the national team set up and have it coached out of them.

chris waddle seems to be one of the few who is prepared to berate the england players for this while at the same time understanding why they don't move abroad. no club overseas is going to pay an average player in excess of £100k a week simply for being english. 

so it's catch-22. while the dirty digger continues to pour money into the english game and wages remain ludicrously high, english players will not want to go abroad. 

5 minutes ago, StevieH said:

chris waddle seems to be one of the few who is prepared to berate the england players for this while at the same time understanding why they don't move abroad. no club overseas is going to pay an average player in excess of £100k a week simply for being english. 

so it's catch-22. while the dirty digger continues to pour money into the english game and wages remain ludicrously high, english players will not want to go abroad. 

Depressingly true isn't it.

13 minutes ago, Chicog said:

Even if they'd work for half of that, how many English players would actually be interesting to La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga?

They are coached that Charlie Hughes sh*t from day one.

guess we'll never know. but clubs today have academies that teach modern methods, that use futsal and focus on technique and ability, that attempt to emulate barca's la masia etc. so i don't think it's quite as hughes/reep recidivist as it used to be.

but the english league definitely still prides itself on physicality, pace and 'excitement' above all else, so it's probably there that things go properly awry. it's that old thing about messi/xavi hernandez not even making it pro in england 'cos they'd have been told they were too small and not strong enough.

2 hours ago, carmine said:

I would go further and suggest that if Alladyce intends to leave his striker so hopelessly isolated theres no point in even having one.

&lt;deleted&gt; was Rooney thinking he was doing?  What exactly were his instructions from the manager?  If any....

Generally i thought England were their usual dull average uncreative norm.....no i remember why i never usually bother with internationals outside of tournaments.  

That's just it, there weren't any, 

Allardyce added: "I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

Might as well make Rooney manager then !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

Wilshere, supposedly one of England's next great creative hopes, was apparently wanted on loan by Milan and Roma. He could have gone there, maybe learned a new way of playing, a more disciplined, possession based style etc. But he chose Bournemouth because his best mate is there. 

To be fair,  he's probably had plenty of that type of coaching over the years at the Arsenal.

12 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

That's just it, there weren't any, 

Allardyce added: "I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager.

"Using his experience with a team, and playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he's going to play.

"It's up to me to ask whether he's doing well in that position, and contributing.

"I must admit, he did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play today, but I was pleased with his performance."

Might as well make Rooney manager then !

He deserves the axe just for having the nerve to come out and say that.  And this is about a player who's mere inclusion divides public opinion.

Why was the idiot playing so deep anyway?  Its just shambolic.  

Wasn't very impressive was it. Wish I'd gone to bed.

No noticeable difference to the Euro team performance. Team lacks flair, imagination.

Only player I thought came out with credit was Walker.

I'm not impressed by Kane, Henderson, Alli or Lallana, though Lallana did better than most. Sturridge looked rusty.

Rooney took every dead ball (I think) and did nothing with it.

Seriously, who out of that squad is truly international class, good enough to get in say Spain's or Germany's side - Rooney in his pomp and Hart I reckon.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

No noticeable difference to the Euro team performance. Team lacks flair, imagination.

I'm not impressed by Kane, Henderson, Alli or Lallana, though Lallana did better than most. Sturridge looked rusty.

Seriously, who out of that squad is truly international class, good enough to get in say Spain's or Germany's side - Rooney in his pomp and Hart I reckon.

interesting. rooney seems to be well past whatever his pomp was and most fans i know think hart is really over-rated and a bit of a gobsh*te. guardiola seems to agree.

43 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Can't see Hart or Rooney getting anywhere near a starting spot in one of the top national sides.  Not now or before.  Rooney has his golden night against the likes of San Marino and the Faroe Islands and Hart makes too many mistakes, lacks consistency and has poor distribution skills, as highlighted apparently by Guardiola.

One of the recent retirees that would have cut it in his prime was Carrick.  Massively underrated player in his home country

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Hart good enough to get in Spain and Germany 's side :cheesy::cheesy: and i thought this was a serious thread :facepalm:

44 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So from responses to date I've read, the only player muted as being truly international class is Carrick (give over). And that is why we are bobbins when it goes to the tournament finals...players aren't good enough.

About sums it up.

They stand around like lemons. Their first touch is awful. Only Rooney and Lallana seemed to want to attempt anything risky as far as passing was concerned, everyone else looks scared witless on the ball as if they can't wait to get rid of it.

As for Sterling, what an absolute waste of money that boy is.

So easy to tackle, Stevie Wonder could do it.

Even Walcott looked a bigger threat than him.

And that is not saying a lot, believe me.

16 minutes ago, Chicog said:

As for Sterling, what an absolute waste of money that boy is.

So easy to tackle, Stevie Wonder could do it.

Even Walcott looked a bigger threat than him.

I thought Sterling played ok. Certainly better than Kane and Rooney. As for waste of money. Well, he doesn't really cost England anything so it's down to whether his club thinks he's worth the money. And last season I would agree but at the moment, under Pep he has drastically improved. I'd say virtually MoM contender for 2 out of the 3 games we've played thus far.

Stones and Lallana were probably the best 2 players last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicog said:

I'm already bored titless with this interlull nonsense.

Even seeing the mighty Maltese knock one in against a hapless Scotland didn't make interesting.

:cheesy:
I was just thinking of a suitable comeback and hadn't even realised that glorious result had taken place,fantastic as I love the Maltese I've even lived there a beautiful island and such lovely people!

How did the build up go,"Here we have a small team from a tiny little nation,languishing in the lower part of the World rankings but desperate to be taken seriously,despite failing to qualify for a major tournament for as long as anyone can remember.....the other team is Malta"?

Edited by MyFrenU
Typo...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

England football seems pointless, it's just something that has to be done in between proper football.

lots of other countries seem to enjoy theirs though don't they? wales are having a great time for example. iceland fans had a right laugh in the summer. but i suppose they don't approach international football with a mentality of having a 'right' to be successful like england kind of do.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So from responses to date I've read, the only player muted as being truly international class is Carrick (give over). And that is why we are bobbins when it goes to the tournament finals...players aren't good enough.

Well then i presume you would be interested to know that Busquets is on record as saying that Carrick in his prime was good enough to start in Guardiola's Barca team.  Remember, the one that was possibly the finest club side in history.

So yeah i'll give over......

Regards the players being not good enough.  Too easy to say just that.  The natural ability is no lesser than foreign players.  Its the attitude thats wrong, the ludicrous salaries, not enough training with emphasis to technical ability ( the great white hope of the English central defense doesn't seem to have grasped yet the basics to defending) dog average managers (bar Capello) it just goes on and on.....

• Like 1

Carmine, football forums are about opinions, stop getting so noijai when others opinions differ to yours.
Ps. Reckon I've watched Carrick loads more than Busq so I don't defer my opinion. Carrick was a decent player [actually it's taken me a while to remember that he played for Spurs ;-)]