Recommendations for a colour laser multifunction printer.

Crossy

I'm fed up with unblocking my inkjet after a few weeks of non-use (I have a mono laser for most jobs) and my scanner is on its last legs.

Sooooo, time for a replacement.

I need want a decent A4 colour printer with built-in scanner, network connection desirable (doesn't need to be wireless), one button copying so Wifey can use it, no need for FAX.

As per title, laser or maybe a dye-sub printer, definitely NOT inkjet.

Print load is not high, domestic use only, sensible throughput, reasonable consumables costs.

Some of the Samsung units look pretty good, any experience of consumables availability and costs?

Thoughts and recommendations?

EDIT The ability to scan 35mm negatives / slides would be useful but not essential.

I looked into the same in the end settled for black and white as color prints with laserprinters are still awfully expensive. I wish you luck in your search but going for an all in one with network facilities is a good idea. I love mine.

First thing is to check the availability and costs for the refills. Those will be very difficult to find and finding such should be a clear pointer to the machine to buy. Then check the reviews. I have had a Brother B/W laser printer for two years now and have had much satisfaction on performance and costs. Thus Brother would be ceter paribus my first choice but have decided against color laser unit.

• 1 month later...

Whatever you plan to buy, don't let it be a HP.

Any particular reason? (I've bought a Canon)

HP LaserJet printers always had an excellent reputation in the past.

I had some products in the past from HP like Notebooks and printers. Service is bad. In Europe and here in TH it's even worse. My HP all in one printer often don't get recognized by the computer. So i have to turn off the printer, turn on and may be i'm lucky. Otherwise repeat it again and again. This issue is well known, but HP don't give a shit... Then, sometimes, suddenly, the printer report that there is a problem with the ink cartridges. Again, i have to restart the printer. If this don't help, i have to remove the cartridges and install it again. But then, the printer prints a test page which waste ink and paper. And, if the color cartridges is empty, it's not longer possible to print even black/white. The only solution is to replace the color ink. Also well known.

The other thing, their driver software comes with a lot of crap like HP shop, birthday card software and so on. It's not possible to disable this add-ware during installation. At least not for my model. This programs do advertising other HP products. If i buy a product, i don't want pop-ups which force me to buy some other things.

For me, HP, never again.

Edited by alocacoc

Just bought one of these http://www.canon.co.th/personal/products/laser-printers/laser-multi-function/imageclass-mf628cw?languageCode=EN

Not the cheapest, but consumables available here and colour prints are not excessively costly.

We shall see how it goes when it arrives.

Well it's arrived, complete with "free" plinth from Canon Marketing (Thailand) which i wasn't expecting and has saved me from going and buying something for it to sit on (provides handy paper storage too) smile.png

Anyway, a quick print of my Dry-Creek Photo test image on to regular 80gsm copier paper revealed a cracking little printer, good clean photographic images (I didn't buy it to print photos per-sé, I intend keeping my Canon A3 inkjet for that).

We'll see how it does on some decent coated laser paper when I've found some smile.png

I have a Canon LBP5050. Has a mind of its own! Spends its life annoying everyone "initializing" whatever that means.I have found even at the price (try and get one with a proper set of cartridges) not the ones they fob you off with when you buy, it is still cheaper, when the ink runs out to buy a new printer! The fake ink in Thailand is useless. Cartridges here about 10,000B for 4. Stupid. But streets better than my Brother Inkjet Printer. Have a separate HP Scanner

Edited by laolover88