Bangkok During Songkran -- Avoiding Water

JayBird

The way people on here talk about it, you'd think it was acid they were throwing, not water.

You guys must shit yourselves in rainy season if getting wet scares you this much.

I think the underlying point may be:

Having someone creep up behind you when you are going about your business, sticking a gun to your head, and shooting a high pressure stream of water is one experience that differs slightly from looking outside and noting that its raining and using an umbrella.

I've lived in wet areas where it rains a lot. I have no problems getting wet.

I do have problems if someone sticks a gun in my face and shoots a projectile (be it a water stream or something else).

I think it's important to note that there is a difference :)

And if I'm in a taxi and someone opens the door to stick a gun in my face, I will treat it like a car-jack situation: Disarm and Disable

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Water wars in central Bangkok are pretty much limited to KSR, Patpong area in Siloam, and sukhumvit soi 4. There may be isolated ares where kids may have a barrel of water in front of a shop, but they certainly stop after dark, something that does not happen in the 3 areas mentioned. It's very easy to avoid getting soaked.

The big bonus is traffic is almost non existent for most of the week and you can actually drive around anytime of time day without hitting any jams (excluding the 3 areas).

Bangkok is much better then Pattaya for the week as the celebrations are very localized.

TH

As others have mentionned, in Central Bangkok it's pretty easy to avoid as the areas with dense water fighting are very localized (Kao San, Silom and around Nana. Although Silom might be crossed off this year if you are to believe the PM).

For the most part I've at most had to cross to the other side of a street to avoid some kids splashing passing buses and motorcycles before getting in the BTS or in a Taxi. Those kids usually go home when night falls.

Malls, BTS stations, etc... are safe. Nobody will ambush you at the taxi drop off zone.

I also don't like to be made a de-facto participant by simply going on the street, but as long as it's water I can handle. I hate the powder though.

The city is deserted during Songkran so it's actually quite enjoyable. Just got to reduce a bit the walking around and look a bit further ahead to not be surprised and you'll be fine.

Note that this is for Central Bangkok. The suburbs are more unpredictable.

I'm surprised no one's

come out with the old

'Songkran used to be

about a respectful

pouring of water over

the hands' bullshit

It did, and still is that way within families and among friends. I've participated in it as such many times. How fluent is your Thai?

Songkran-vroeger-2-1987.jpg

No it didn't.

This is a pic of Songkran on Bangkok's Ramintra Road in 1987.

I suppose he does have his hands out but the application of water was anything but reserved and respectful, wasn't it

It's always been raucous-it just depended on where you celebrated it

Why not use the time to take a few 2nd or 3rd class train tours around Thailand. There is (was) a really great thread from a guy who was doing just that. Search the forum and check it out as an alternative. Good chance to see a more real version of Thailand than Bangkok.

I thought of that (and I have visited some of the rural areas in Buriram towards Cambodia -- funny story there). But one thing I am looking forward to is, when everyone has left Bangkok the pollution level should be low... i'll be able to see .... and breathe! smile.png

So I'll try to avoid the touristy areas (and yes, as mentioned, it may well be the tourists that cause more problems than the Thais). I'll be with my Thai GF who can quite clearly indicate to others that I'm not interested. And if someone gets a twinkle in their eye, I'll just growl.

A 200-lb 6'3 guy growling usually gets the message across in any language tongue.png

And yes, if the interiors of the Malls are safe then it means I can take taxis to places and not be stuck in 1-hour of traffic jams! Woohoo!

Thank you all for the replies!

It is the first time for me since years (last time must have been 2007 or so) that I can not leave Thailand during Songkran.

Yes MEGA BANGNA is actually a lovely place (the nicest Mall in all of Asia that I know and I know more than 50), low storey building, great food walk with many fantastic (albeit expensive) dining and drinking places (Belgian beers galore!). As it is near where I live I too plan to take a Cab straight to MEGA and back to my housing estate in order to leave my place for at least a few hours during Songkran.

PM me if you wanna meet up for a drink (or two) on the 15th or 16th maybe. any other takers ?

Is it possible in Bangkok to avoid water? Can't do it Chiang Mai unless one holes up in a room for days. There will be some random splashing starting Monday for sure.

Fortunately the retina ripping large PVC pipes were banned but I wear eye protection. I still enjoy it every few years but wish it was shorter. It basically blows the whole week (good luck getting anything productive done). There is no limit and every year it seems to get worse where years ago one could safely go out after dark. Had an experience where we had a reservation at a nice restaurant and went home to change venturing out after dark. Got soaked in Tuk-Tuk on the way there and had to spend an uncomfortable dinner wet in freezing AC. Everything gets wet, the moat water we have here ringing the old city is foul and sickens some people. (Ice water most of the time!)

The parades and and temple fairs are great but what once was a spiritual event of extreme cultural significance has degenerated into drunken mayhem. In my estimation largely due to alien influences. In this regard I agree with the General.

The worst behaviour usually demonstrated by so-called "Frangs".For example...

* Some dork in front of a restaurant who kept spraying me in the face decided to try and open a Thai couple's car door to attack. Husband came out and screamed at him, though he "Jai yen Jai yen" 'ed his way out of a thrashing.

* One year on last day of Songkhran well after dark (like 9:30PM) drunk Farang marauded like Pirates and boarded Songthaews in front of a backpacker type bar and bucket-soaked entire truckloads of dry Thai people.

* Falung jerks who went out of their way to soak elderly western tourists who clearly don't want it and were begging them to leave them alone.

If one could somehow get out of town the roads are highways of death and every year Chiang Mai province has a high bodycount.

Riding a bike you are going to encounter sudden deep puddles and loss of traction whilst simultaneously gormless Farnungs shoot water at your head.

Pray someone does not have a sudden emergency and need an ambulance as the city is completely gridlocked most of the day. No place is safe from water. For those not interested it would be a good time to rent a bungalow way out in the countryside/resort somewhere and relax, or maybe fly to Singapore.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1460021873.583886.jpg

taking a tuk tuk at any point, to go anywhere is just plain silly. On songkran it is just plain stupid.

Secondly, your assertion that bangkok is gridlocked shows a greater ignorance at work - bangkok is NEVER more deserted and traffic free than songkran. I base this on almost 20 years in the city. it is the best time you could ever possibly require an ambulance. Those cars you talk about

Thirdly, knowing what you know, riding your bike is pure foolishness. you know the drill, why would you persist?

but then the OP is asking about bangkok, and you seem to need to make this about you.

The way people on here talk about it, you'd think it was acid they were throwing, not water.

You guys must shit yourselves in rainy season if getting wet scares you this much.

I think the underlying point may be:

Having someone creep up behind you when you are going about your business, sticking a gun to your head, and shooting a high pressure stream of water is one experience that differs slightly from looking outside and noting that its raining and using an umbrella.

I've lived in wet areas where it rains a lot. I have no problems getting wet.

I do have problems if someone sticks a gun in my face and shoots a projectile (be it a water stream or something else).

I think it's important to note that there is a difference smile.png

And if I'm in a taxi and someone opens the door to stick a gun in my face, I will treat it like a car-jack situation: Disarm and Disable

gird those loins and disarm and disable.

nothing like leaving the house spoiling for offence.

best songkran i ever had was on acid.

The worst thing about Songkran is grey-haired farang losers hijacking a fun festival to vent their anger on the world. Some of them take it far too seriously.

it amuses me that people that rarely leave the house complain they cant leave the house.

The worst thing about Songkran is grey-haired farang losers hijacking a fun festival to vent their anger on the world. Some of them take it far too seriously.

it amuses me that people that rarely leave the house complain they cant leave the house.

And because the only place they leave the house to go to is the sex tourist zone, they think the whole city is equally chaotic.

Why not use the time to take a few 2nd or 3rd class train tours around Thailand. There is (was) a really great thread from a guy who was doing just that. Search the forum and check it out as an alternative. Good chance to see a more real version of Thailand than Bangkok.

I thought of that (and I have visited some of the rural areas in Buriram towards Cambodia -- funny story there). But one thing I am looking forward to is, when everyone has left Bangkok the pollution level should be low... i'll be able to see .... and breathe! :)

So I'll try to avoid the touristy areas (and yes, as mentioned, it may well be the tourists that cause more problems than the Thais). I'll be with my Thai GF who can quite clearly indicate to others that I'm not interested. And if someone gets a twinkle in their eye, I'll just growl.

A 200-lb 6'3 guy growling usually gets the message across in any language :P

And yes, if the interiors of the Malls are safe then it means I can take taxis to places and not be stuck in 1-hour of traffic jams! Woohoo!

Thank you all for the replies!

And that growled message is..."yup im a douchebag!"

Be careful with those plastic pouches that are SUPPOSED to keep your phone and wallet dry. A few years ago we were right in the middle of the water wars. When we got back to our rooms, I pulled out the pouch and was horrified to see that it had water in it. I looked it over carefully and could see no possible way water could get inside it, but it did. The phone was ruined. At least my wallet wasn't too wet.

Yesterday I saw one tourist from the Indian subcontinent angrily scolding some playful water-shooting boys at Platinum. Little did he know that Songskran festival is all about water and fun; water spraying on individuals is a blessing of good-tidings - this is a typical Thai culture which is also practiced by some neighboring countries in SEA. So what’s there to be angry about when someone is spraying water full of blessing on you?

Yesterday I saw one tourist from the Indian subcontinent angrily scolding some playful water-shooting boys at Platinum. Little did he know that Songskran festival is all about water and fun; water spraying on individuals is a blessing of good-tidings - this is a typical Thai culture which is also practiced by some neighboring countries in SEA. So what’s there to be angry about when someone is spraying water full of blessing on you?

It's not being sprayed with some water by kids that bothers me, it's having an ice-cold bucket of water thrown over me that I have a problem with!

Be careful with those plastic pouches that are SUPPOSED to keep your phone and wallet dry. A few years ago we were right in the middle of the water wars. When we got back to our rooms, I pulled out the pouch and was horrified to see that it had water in it. I looked it over carefully and could see no possible way water could get inside it, but it did. The phone was ruined. At least my wallet wasn't too wet.

I leave my phone and wallet in the room. Key-card, cash & rabbit card in my pocket & good to go.

Here in BKK, apart from the designated SK venues, things seemed a bit quieter this year.

Not sure if that's because of the economy, the NCPO, the water shortage, or some combination of all of the above.

I went out for breakfast early this morning, stopped at the local Villa on the way home, and was walking back down my soi at 9 am... Not a single water splasher around at that hour. So at least, in normal areas, the early mornings seem to be OK.

But even in the afternoons and evenings this year on my soi, much quieter and more low key than in the past.

Most of the areas I saw outside of the designated areas seemed to have nothing going on. One street I saw someone with a hose spraying a few cars as it walked by but did not appear to bother the people at all.

Near the Paragon/Central World there were people walking around with Water Guns but they seemed to only target others with Water Guns (I'm cool with that sort of rule!)

Tighter into the Siam area it was mayhem. Even if they were targeting other viable targets there would still be collateral damage.

One odd thing I did see was about 10 of what looked like Indian/Arab guys on an open backed pick-up with a couple sitting on the opened tailed gate holding water rifles. I thought ISIS or the Taliban had shown up. They seemed to want to throw water at anything they could (and this was within the Paragon Valet section).

On the plus side, outside of the target areas, there was no traffic. Ahh, wonderful to get from A to B without having to spend an hour sitting in the cab crawling at a snails pace.

Most of the areas I saw outside of the designated areas seemed to have nothing going on. One street I saw someone with a hose spraying a few cars as it walked by but did not appear to bother the people at all.

Near the Paragon/Central World there were people walking around with Water Guns but they seemed to only target others with Water Guns (I'm cool with that sort of rule!)

Tighter into the Siam area it was mayhem. Even if they were targeting other viable targets there would still be collateral damage.

One odd thing I did see was about 10 of what looked like Indian/Arab guys on an open backed pick-up with a couple sitting on the opened tailed gate holding water rifles. I thought ISIS or the Taliban had shown up. They seemed to want to throw water at anything they could (and this was within the Paragon Valet section).

On the plus side, outside of the target areas, there was no traffic. Ahh, wonderful to get from A to B without having to spend an hour sitting in the cab crawling at a snails pace.

For someone who was trying to avoid getting wet I'm surprised you were 'tight' in the Silom area.

For someone who was trying to avoid getting wet I'm surprised you were 'tight' in the Silom area.

I was insulated in a waterproof taxi :)