How to keep dogs off my lawn?

mcm991

I've just put down a lot of new grass sod on my presently unfenced property.

Every night, the neighbourhood dogs come and make a mess of it and tear chunks of it up.

Talking to the dogs owners is as useful as talking to the buffalo down the road.

Any ideas how to keep the dogs off the lawn ? Non lethal methods only please (for now).

Many thanks.

MCM.

I have heard this works, but not tried it due to never having had a lawn. Full bottles of water, scattered around. Not sure why this works but I read it somewhere.

old wives tale.. ? most of my dogs if you put a plastic bottle anywhere they will make a b-line to it/them to have a wee on it/them.

Ammonia, i had a real problem with owners letting their dogs shit in front of my house, i put a straw into the ammonia bottle, thumb on top and let it dribble where needed. Make a line around your boundary doing that.

Chilli powder, if you can buy bulk, sprinkle around.

Wood vinegar also works, dilute with water and spray around.

You will resort to more definite solutions - trust me.

Get the municipality dog catcher or put up signs in Thai that you pay THB 500 per stray canine caught on YOUR premises.

You won't have to do anything but the neighbours will get the message. Might cool of inter-neighbourly relations down though but I guess that is not an issue (anymore) wai2.gifwai2.gif

I sprinkled a bunch of pepper mixed with some chilli powder on the grass last night.

Lawn untouched this morning !

a safer option than collecting tiger poo.

I will do again this evening and then see if Thai dogs have a learning curve .......

I was buying a large bag of Chili powder at Makro for around 80B

Just sprinkle on the lawn

Many years ago while living in Malaysia I had a problem with cats raiding my kitchen rubbish bin.

Tried sprinkling black pepper powder then chilli powder but that failed. The cats were familiar with the taste.

Mustard powder worked wonders.

Non lethal for the dogs............leave the dogs alone, shoot the owners.

I've had a cat problem in the past. I warned all residents within a couple of hundred meters, then trapped them, in a cage trap, no injury. They were then sent to heaven. Kidding!! I took them to the lost cat facility.The owners made the decision to let their cats roam, and I did no more than execute my plan (no pun intended).

When an owner has topay to collect his own cat, his thinking changes.

If owners show no responsibility, they shouldn't own pets.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Remind that animals not recognize human made terrutories.

A good fence does the job. Remind a goood fence is also some 20 cmor more into the ground as well more then 160 cm.

You can trick them by lookong higher to have some wires above it.

Most thai dogs will not jump over a wall of 160 cm high.

A good wall or fence keeps them in or out and and no other measurements are needed.

If you still get them in and out increase the hight to 180 cm

If then still well you have the very rare dogs around and they not like you for what eever you didto them.

For sankes you need en negavie angel on the wall. So they fall back. Most of them not come in or make a roud edge outwards that band outwards back and down.

Necer have had dogs break out or come in areas I not wanted.

If you need to be lehal. The you then do it to yourself because you dod not the right thing with the non leathal wall and construction.

Mo excusses to abuse, harm or kill animals who not understand human way of territory claiming.

Himan are the once who have to the knowledge as well the opertunities to tell other animals to stop and not trespass with non lethal methodes.

Throw something they can chew, like the fake bones from the pet shop. The ones that last forever. Does not cost much. They will love you for that too!

A pet shop in Thailand?? I have seen places selling dogs, rabbits, fish etc, but not an actual pet shop like in the UK.

Non lethal for the dogs............leave the dogs alone, shoot the owners.

I've had a cat problem in the past. I warned all residents within a couple of hundred meters, then trapped them, in a cage trap, no injury. They were then sent to heaven. Kidding!! I took them to the lost cat facility.The owners made the decision to let their cats roam, and I did no more than execute my plan (no pun intended).

When an owner has topay to collect his own cat, his thinking changes.

If owners show no responsibility, they shouldn't own pets.

But this is Thailand, people just do what they want, as long as it suits them end of story.

Same way as I repelled the cats from crapping in my garden and sitting on the walls yowling.

Boil up some black pepper (you can add some cayenne or paprika for added oomph) and allow it to cool. Drain through a fine sieve or muslin cloth into a spray bottle. Spray the pepper spary on walls and wherever cats/dogs shouldn't be. Works for 2-3 months before reapplication becomes a requirement.

During the boiling and bottling process, do NOT get the stuff on your face or anywhere near your eyes. This includes avoiding wiping sweat off your brow with the back of your hand (as I did on my first brew up).

A pet shop in Thailand?? I have seen places selling dogs, rabbits, fish etc, but not an actual pet shop like in the UK.

Lots of them, but I did not mean the ones that sell the little monsters alive, rather pet supply shops, some local chains even. There is one at Canal Rd besides the 7/11 if you go south after the Mae Hia Rimping, another one on Hang Dong Rd, nearby the post office. Many more.

Be nice to the dogs, they are friendly creatures.