SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?

Scott

SURVEY: If given the option, what would you do for Songkran?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Songkran is a celebration which is viewed by foreigners very differently than it is to our Thai counterparts. If the option presents itself what would you do for Songkran?

It would appear that a large number of Thais are leaving the country for Songkran: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/909113-more-thais-choose-to-go-abroad-during-the-long-songkran-festival/

Please feel free to leave a comment on your idea of an ideal Songkran.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i never really clicked with thai holidays. just not something i grew up with or attached enough memories too to make them feel important.

as for songkran, the area where i live (chiang mai) is so loud normally, when holidays do roll around it just makes me want to avoid the extra noise and crowds rather then participate.

what they need here is something like the buddhist retreat during the rainy season, but for the general population.

now that would be quiet and relaxing, just to not hear any thai neighbors or loud thais in the morning. everyone shuts up for a few days. that would be pure heaven.

Who here is "given" options? If the option presents itself? blink.png

That's some fancy word salad. "What are you doing for Songkran?" Simple.

In that context, we stay off the roads as the herds migrate up and down the country.

Bunch of family crawls through 12 hours of traffic to get out of BKK to come camp out with us. Suki on the little BBQ pots, lots of food, few beers, listen to music and play Bingo/cards, relax. Did a water throwing tour last year about town. Provincial big cheese said no to that this year. Smart. Not much water anyway.

The first year I was in Thailand, I thought Songkran was the neatest holiday I had ever had the honor of participating. The second year, it was fun and entertaining. The 3rd year it was a bit of a nuisance. By the 4th year, I hated it.

Now, I stalk up with food and snacks and stay home and watch television and have a grand old time. I don't begrudge the locals their tradition, I just can't quite get into any longer. But I do enjoy the solitude of staying home with the occasional visit by friends, who are usually also avoiding too much revelry.

We've enjoyed the revelry....But year in and out it's same-o same-o just with different people/crazies....

We have an international trip right after the holiday.....So - rather than having CM moat water tossed at us we are going to skip it this year & stay on the healthy side of the celebration.....

Getting doused can be fun....

But - I/we remember the gentle pouring of the water moments in a much fonder way - long after the crazy party is gone....

I enjoy it out in the country...

In Pattaya, hated it.. Those butt wipe tourists don't know what time to stop..

I'm not sure what the rules are when to stop blasting people with high powered - Ice cold water.. But would assume, when the majority stops..

But there is always a drunk white guy with a stupid grin on his face, with a trash can of water, soaking the crap out of people on baht buses.. As he thinks it's a great time... It's not for others..

Edited by D3030

Will be stocking up on food, drink and cigarettes and won't go out until it's dark and the water attacks have stopped.

I liked songkran for the first couple of years, now I find it to be one big annoyance.

Happy songkran

When its all "shiny and new" its fun, but gets old very quickly and when people start throwing ice and other ingredients in the water its not only dangerous it can really hurt.

Drunk Idiots staggering in front of moving vehicles is not funny,

They can keep it, too dangerous and out of control. We stay right out of it now, stock up the week before, and stay home til its all over.

Family returning, and family gathering in the safety of home, the car goes nowhere for the duration, excess traffic and drink is not a good mixture at any time.

Your survey does not allow 2 choices - I would select your bottom two - spend the holiday mostly at home and enjoy the traditional part as we get lots of visitors now that my wife's father is the elder statesman in the family...

It is a nice opportunity to visit w/family members returning from work in the great beyond...

Must admit for the first time am going away ( to Java) sounds interesting . I enjoy getting wet for a day and catching up with old friends in one of our local bars.

Quite frankly does it really matter what a few miserable foreigners think. The Songkran festivities give a few days off for some workers on 6 or even 7 day working weeks. They can join their families and have some fun.

You need to lighten up a bit- and realise you are not in the hyper- controlled West , where probably being seen on the street with a water pistol is an arrestable offense .

I live in Pattaya and really detest the long, drawn out excesses of Songkran. My options are to hunker down at home until it has passed, go visit friends upcountry and participate in traditional Songkran celebration, or just quit Thailand for a week. Seems a lot of the Thais are fed up with getting soaked and powdered and otherwise assaulted by the Songkran hooligans and are getting out of their own country as well.

I am sad will miss revelry this year. I like to play water with the thais. Get sick of the idiots with ice water. The powder is a pain when you ride your Bike and some <deleted> throws a bowl of the crap in your eyes. But its fun otherwise and I get into it. The other 7 years of it have been fun

I generally carry on with my life as always. Still can't comprehend why so many people become so traumatized by it all.

Of course you can comprehend it. But, you'll take the opposite side in most things said here by the stupid farangs you love to hate.

Can't comprehend. "Traumatized". Pffft! What a load of krap. sick.gif

Edited by 55Jay