Import car from Dubai

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to add confusion why do Americans make their Powerboats RHD..?. and so do most of Europe...LHD must be the most stupid rubbish since the Metric System. It was nice when yer spanners fitted everyting..facepalm.gif

...a suit in Savile Row was quoted in Guineas, a pound of cauliflower was two-and-tuppence, a Farthing was one nine hundred and sixtieth of a Pound Sterling and a British gentleman abroad was often called Sahib or Bwana tongue.png

Well then it's probably better if you can't figure out the RHD/LHD system to consider NOT driving in a country where the traffic rules are opposite to what you are used to. Driving a LHD on the left, or a RHD on the right is only going to add to the confusion. Eventually you'll forget which side of the road you're supposed to drive on and drive against oncoming traffic. This is far less likely to occur if the steering wheel is on the correct side of the car already.

Certainly driving a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side for that country's road traffic laws is a bad idea, especially if you aren't used to it. Yes it occurs in Europe, but on a global scale, isn't that common. In Thailand it's common because it is one of the few countries with 3 out of 4 of it's neighbors driving on the opposite side it drives on.

Many more countries than the ones I've outlined have rules in place that bans vehicles with the steering wheel on the "wrong" side from even entering the country, not just banning their local registration.

Saudi Arabia, Oman and El Salvador are all such countries.

Try telling them (or the Vietnamese for that matter) that they are wrong. They don't care - they perceive steering wheels on the wrong side to be dangerous and no amount of justifying your position will change their minds.

Driving a LHD on the left, or a RHD on the right is only going to add to the confusion. Eventually you'll forget which side of the road you're supposed to drive on and drive against oncoming trafficcheesy.gif

Have you ever drive a car in Thailand and in the countries you mentioned?facepalm.gif

drive against oncoming traffic - common in Thailand, and even at night without signal light, and it does not matter RHD or LHD.biggrin.png

and appeal to the laws in the countries where many drivers simply do not know ..gigglem.gif

Its funny..

In Thailand if start drive it already be in dangerousrolleyes.gif

Just to add confusion why do Americans make their Powerboats RHD..?. and so do most of Europe...LHD must be the most stupid rubbish since the Metric System. It was nice when yer spanners fitted everyting..facepalm.gif

...a suit in Savile Row was quoted in Guineas, a pound of cauliflower was two-and-tuppence, a Farthing was one nine hundred and sixtieth of a Pound Sterling and a British gentleman abroad was often called Sahib or Bwana tongue.png

And on a car like yours who cares what side the wheel is on.

It's a piece of motoring history and should remain as it was built.

Guys, any advice on car reliable transporting company ? I want to buy a car in the US ( for some reasons ), tend to https://clearit.ca/ ( just like the conditions ). I would be grateful for any other recommendations, thanks.[/size]

You are asking on a Thailand forum about buying a car in the US and transporting it to Canada ?

Guys, any advice on car reliable transporting company ? I want to buy a car in the US ( for some reasons ), tend to https://clearit.ca/ ( just like the conditions ). I would be grateful for any other recommendations, thanks.[/size]

You are asking on a Thailand forum about buying a car in the US and transporting it to Canada ?

More viable than the OP's requestlaugh.png

Before you worry about duties and taxes, you might want to consider the costs to convert it to right hand drive wink.png

it's not mandatory to convert. my 47 year old Jag E is a left hand drive.

Why would anyone be daft enough to drive a LHD in a RHD country. For temporary, tourism purposes no problems, but LHD registrations should be banned in Thailand. It's a huge safety risk to allow them to be registered on the roads here not to mention inconvenient, especially difficult when overtaking.

Most of Thailand's neighbors have rules on not allowing local registrations of cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side for the traffic laws in effect in that country.

For example:

Laos - drives on the right, no local RHD registrations, except foreign embassy vehicles. The enforcement of this rule is not very strict though.

Cambodia - used to have this no RHD rule, but now allows their registration. However, this law is meant to legalize existing RHDs on the roads, rather than encourage new imports of RHD vehicles.

Singapore - drives on the left, has a no LHD registration rule in place.

Bangladesh - ditto. Special rules also apply for foreign registered LHD vehicles entering the country temporarily - apparently they aren't normally allowed entry at all.

Vietnam - drives on the right with LHD. RHD vehicles are neither allowed to be registered nor are they even allowed to enter the country for tourism purposes, except in the form of a caravan tour.

why would anyone keep on yakety-yakking about my left hand drive black beauty, dearly beloved by me and my dogs? what do i care what rules and regulations prevail in neighbouring countries?

get a life man! cheesy.gif

attachicon.gifE1.JPG

Beautiful car. I don't think I've ever seen a black E type before.

Any more pics?

Before you worry about duties and taxes, you might want to consider the costs to convert it to right hand drive wink.png

Why would anyone be daft enough to drive a LHD in a RHD country. For temporary, tourism purposes no problems, but LHD registrations should be banned in Thailand. It's a huge safety risk to allow them to be registered on the roads here not to mention inconvenient, especially difficult when overtaking.

Most of Thailand's neighbors have rules on not allowing local registrations of cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side for the traffic laws in effect in that country.

For example:

Laos - drives on the right, no local RHD registrations, except foreign embassy vehicles. The enforcement of this rule is not very strict though.

Cambodia - used to have this no RHD rule, but now allows their registration. However, this law is meant to legalize existing RHDs on the roads, rather than encourage new imports of RHD vehicles.

Bangladesh - ditto. Special rules also apply for foreign registered LHD vehicles entering the country temporarily - apparently they aren't normally allowed entry at all.

Vietnam - drives on the right with LHD. RHD vehicles are neither allowed to be registered nor are they even allowed to enter the country for tourism purposes, except in the form of a caravan tour.

why would anyone keep on yakety-yakking about my left hand drive black beauty, dearly beloved by me and my dogs? what do i care what rules and regulations prevail in neighbouring countries?

get a life man! cheesy.gif

attachicon.gifE1.JPG

Beautiful car. I don't think I've ever seen a black E type before.

Any more pics?

If you like it, why don't you buy it?

It's for sale ... I looked at it the other day and took a lot of pictures.

It's in good unrestored condition ...

For example:

Haven't you noticed that most overtake on the inside so he will get a better view ... well most of the time ☺

Probably the only thing you have I am envious of. My Jaag was a Mk 7 and a beutiful piece of work as was the mk5 my grandfather drove. Sadly that is 50 years ago.

For example:

Haven't you noticed that most overtake on the inside so he will get a better view ... well most of the time ☺

Probably the only thing you have I am envious of. My Jaag was a Mk 7 and a beutiful piece of work as was the mk5 my grandfather drove. Sadly that is 50 years ago.

Strange to think the last 50 e types (49 black 1 BRG) were the most difficult to sell, fuel crisis and most were sold with massive discounts.

Would love one now.

Archived