Travel insurance for journeys home ('Non Resident' an' all that!)

Columbus Direct, yes the UK one, will provide cover to Thai residents, I used to insure through them when I went to UK, they have an age restriction and I'm too old now but my good lady still buys an annual policy with them.

The good thing is they will settle directly with a hospital, the downside is they auto renew at a rate that is higher than if you purchased a new policy, you have to respond to the reminder to ensure they don't renew.

I've subsequently purchased from AXA here in Thailand, the downside is that they don't settle directly with hospitals, you have to settle and claim back. The upside is that they will pay out, I claimed back 650,000 Baht that I paid to a hospital in Singapore, I purchased the policy for 800 Baht and had a heart attack the following day.

https://direct.axa.co.th/ just get a quote for how many days and what cover you want.

Regards Scotsman

I have taken travel insurance with AXA many times before, very easy to buy on their website, called their BKK office several times for a bit more detail, good English skills, good listeners, always clear answers and pleasant conversation.

Haven't ever claimed and hope I never have to.

I've subsequently purchased from AXA here in Thailand, the downside is that they don't settle directly with hospitals, you have to settle and claim back. The upside is that they will pay out, I claimed back 650,000 Baht that I paid to a hospital in Singapore, I purchased the policy for 800 Baht and had a heart attack the following day.

Are AIG equally willing to pay out on travel insurance claims, does anyone know? Hitherto I have obtained cover for my annual trips back to Europe (the next one due to take place in a few weeks time) under their Travel Guard scheme, but have not, to date, had to submit a claim.

As far as I am concerned AXA are a bad company in the UK and no way would I deal with them again with a financial product. As far as travel Insurance is concerned if you taking our a travel Insurance policy with a UK company ( or UK based company as AXA are French ) the stipulation is that you must have been resident in the UK prior to taking out the policy, so for most of us who spend most of our time here you may think you are insured, they will take your money but they not pay you out on the residential issue. Once you are over 65 things start to change, you aint the good risk you once were, some will insure you up to 74 but then things get worse, it gets harder the older you get, fact.

I would love to be able to just get TI for my journey and a few days either side but no one seems to that and anyway once you have handed you bags over and until you collect them the travel provider is responsible although they dont fall over themselves to tell you that, so I dont bother with travel insurance these days, a risk I am prepared to take.

Insurance companies are not there for our benefit, they play on our fears, take the premiums and dont like paying out, the older we get the greater the risk for them, when you get over 60 you should consider self insurance as the best policy.

I forgot to mention about the length of time you need to be resident in the UK before applying for Travel Insurance, typically its 6 months, so for anyone who is living here in Thailand you should forget TI from the UK and look at what local firms can offer you, some will do it on a daily rate but I suspect that age will be the big issue.

The 6 month rule I had confirmed for me from AXA.