Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice car, but I'm not rich/dumb enough to pay 2.5m for a 750k car.

I'd prefer to pay 180k for a 15ish year old model as a second car.

I don;t understand "for a 750k car". But I guess you are American or British? First of all, I doubt you can find a 7-series LI anywhere for that 750K. In Norway, where I come from, BMW's cost about the same as Thailand.

English. I can spell.

Some people might claim you are stupid to even waste your money on a car, since Taxi is much cheaper... ;)

True. I did consider just renting a car or using taxis instead of owning my own car, but it would mean having to put up with poorly maintained crappy Toyotas and I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

That's exactly why I am buying a car very soon. I am sick and tired of worn down crappy and unsafe Toyota Corollas. Not to mention some of the drivers and their driving (though some are good).

MartinBangkok now you gonna feel the difference, instead of thinking your driver is bad, you'll think all DRIVERS here are really bad, unconsious and really dangerous, but no speed control and no cops at every corner, freedom and adrenaline in a wild wild sea of cars and trucks and motorbikes ^^ + kids, old people crossing roads, dogs etc.. HAVE FUN !

Everyone claims to know what is in the head of people buying these cars.

In my case 1 months earnings = Camry/ accord. 3 months earnings 528i. Either way it wasnt a major financial decision. I test drove accord, camry, e200, cla250, x3 but chose the 5 because it was the one i liked best.

Now according to some that makes me egotistical, douchebag show off that only purchased a vehicle because of what other people would think.

Now considering the fact that everyone thinks BMW divers are douchebags, surely if I cared what people thought, it'd be the last car I'd buy....

If in one month earning you can by a camry.. why don't you buy a plane instead ? it is much more convenient that all cars you can buy in the world.. otherwise why not have a luxury van plus drivers.. or a bus modified for yourself.. and if you like to drive yourself then by a race car and enjoy !

IF you are not aware, most of people are buying car with a credit that last 4 to 7 years... and this kind of income you are talking about is for very less people on earth, so if i had money like that I'll go for a Porsche cayenne and many others cars.. just collect them all like my son do with pokemons.

Hehehe, never a day without a good laugh on TV :-0!

A very good point that people miss. Most Thais who own them tell me it's because they believe they are better built and will offer better protection in an accident.

That seem to be a true and tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

It's an interesting point... I wonder how they playoff in a like for like comparison....

BMW 3 Series / Merc C Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Civic, Toyota Vios, Mazda 3, Nissan Tida

BMW 5 Series / Merc E Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Tiana

BMW X5 / Merc ML250 >>> Vs >>> Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest, Nissan X-Trail, Mitsubishi Pajero

I have my opinions - but they are not factually based.

x5- fortuner

Are you seriously?

sport crossover VS frame SUV come from pickup?clap2.gif

ML vs CRV/pajerocheesy.gif ( pajero or pajero sport?)

tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

I guess it mean

https://youtu.be/J9uXHLyBt7U

As I said - I have my opinions and own an X5... (not just for collisions, but better road holding etc...)... In this recent rain i borrowed by Brother in Laws Camry (the traction was awful - Traction Control kicked in numerous times and the ABS came on a couple of times... 15 mins later (same conditions) the X5 drove flawlessly)....

I wonder about the sedans... I remember my 5 series being little tail happy in the wet !!! (In sport mode !).

BMW 5 series or Merc E Class >>>> against >>>> Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Tiana

That may be much closer....

MartinBangkok now you gonna feel the difference, instead of thinking your driver is bad, you'll think all DRIVERS here are really bad, unconsious and really dangerous, but no speed control and no cops at every corner, freedom and adrenaline in a wild wild sea of cars and trucks and motorbikes ^^ + kids, old people crossing roads, dogs etc.. HAVE FUN !

I've been driving motorcycles in Thailand ever since I moved here 7 years ago. My latest, Ducati Monster 1200S I just sold to a danish guy in Na Jomtien. I know the traffic picture here. For my new car the choice right now is between an All new Fortuner TRD Sportivo and the BMW 320d Sport. The former is 1.7 mill. Baht. The latter 2.8 mill. Any advice? PS: I play golf. Single.

I've been driving motorcycles in Thailand ever since I moved here 7 years ago. My latest, Ducati Monster 1200S I just sold to a danish guy in Na Jomtien. I know the traffic picture here. For my new car the choice right now is between an All new Fortuner TRD Sportivo and the BMW 320d Sport. The former is 1.7 mill. Baht. The latter 2.8 mill. Any advice? PS: I play golf. Single.

Go for the mazda CX5, or at least give it a test drive, I was really impressed by the drivability and nice feeling inside.

The Fortuner should be less pleasure for driving good, but I didn't try the sportivo one.... who knows it might be different than the normal one

That is a no-brainer. Diesel is dead in Thailand. Find a nice second hand 323i SE and you will be a happy man forever.

That is a no-brainer. Diesel is dead in Thailand. Find a nice second hand 323i SE and you will be a happy man forever.

Why is diesel dead in Thailand? For me it seems to be the best option right now - cheaper then petrol and diesel cars have way more torque - especially the one I am considering, the BMW 320d - 400 NM of torque no less.....

It's an interesting point... I wonder how they playoff in a like for like comparison....

BMW 3 Series / Merc C Class >>> Vs >>> Honda Civic, Toyota Vios, Mazda 3, Nissan Tida

BMW X5 / Merc ML250 >>> Vs >>> Honda CRV, Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest, Nissan X-Trail, Mitsubishi Pajero

x5- fortuner

Are you seriously?

sport crossover VS frame SUV come from pickup?clap2.gif

ML vs CRV/pajerocheesy.gif ( pajero or pajero sport?)

tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

I guess it mean

https://youtu.be/J9uXHLyBt7U

As I said - I have my opinions and own an X5... (not just for collisions, but better road holding etc...)... In this recent rain i borrowed by Brother in Laws Camry (the traction was awful - Traction Control kicked in numerous times and the ABS came on a couple of times... 15 mins later (same conditions) the X5 drove flawlessly)....

I wonder about the sedans... I remember my 5 series being little tail happy in the wet !!! (In sport mode !).

BMW 5 series or Merc E Class >>>> against >>>> Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Nissan Tiana

That may be much closer....

I had E 53 3 L. 4.4 L 287 and 320hp

e70 4.8 and M version

Had PJS previos generation

now i have Fortuner

Its cant be compare HOW? frame car with sport SUV?

BMW 5 series Wheelbase 2968mm

BMW 3 series Wheelbase 2810mm

Accord 9 generation Wheelbase 2775mm( but i still remember 7 and 8 gen with 2 version car big for China,UsThailand and small for Japan and Europe

New Camry Wheelbase 2775mm

Guys how you compare?

Why not compare with 7 series or S class?

May be SLS?

gigglem.gifcheesy.gif

facepalm.gif

Pick up....

toyoDawhistling.gifcheesy.gif

Why is diesel dead in Thailand? For me it seems to be the best option right now - cheaper then petrol and diesel cars have way more torque - especially the one I am considering, the BMW 320d - 400 NM of torque no less.....

tipper truck career, even more can be diesel torque.
but why do you need it ??
gigglem.gif

A very good point that people miss. Most Thais who own them tell me it's because they believe they are better built and will offer better protection in an accident.

That seem to be a true and tested theory, especially for Mercedes Vs. Fiesta owners.

Plenty NCAP test videos on youtube, if you got time.

The problem is the Thai spec.

Where is EU now hardly any new cars seem to sell with less than 6 airbags (even ford fiestas), then here the mid segments like Toyota Corolla still proudly sells its top model with a whopping 2!!

Safety-wise you have to get into the 'premium' category to find what you might encounter elsewhere in an economy car, and that just both scary and sad the same time, as prices here also happen to be higher on locally made cars vs. EU too. or US is you wish.

I wasn't able to find Euro-standard crash test for the F15 X5, so it will have to be the ML-350 vs.. and seeing as a lot of these models are not yet released in Europe, it will have to be the Australian rating system - which is based on the exact same tests as the Euro version, but uses slightly different scoring criteria.

Benz ML-350:

Overall Score: 36.34/37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/mercedes-benz-ab4094ed-8dd4-4d8c-9a9b-5495f5be77d5/m-class/ebde8d

Ford Everest:

Overall Score: 35.98/37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/ford/everest/0bfce8

Same safety features as export models.

Pajero Sport:

(Test results based on Triton)

Overall Score: 36.22/37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/mitsubishi/pajero-sport/cb7a26

Edited by IMHO

Fortuner:

(Test results based on Hilux)

Overall Score: 33.95/37 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/toyota/fortuner/3025d6

Honda CR-V:

Overall Score: 35.91/47 http://www.ancap.com.au/safety-ratings/honda/cr-v/025478

Some export models come with autonomous braking not available in TH, but otherwise specs are the same.

Nissan X-Trail:

No point comparing because Thai models do not have equivalent safety features to export models.

Edited by IMHO

Of course, these tests don't demonstrate each car's ability to avoid an accident in the first place, and it would be nice to see the Pajero Sport and Fortuner actually tested themselves, rather than scores based on the pickup counterparts, as it's been demonstrated before that even extra-cab vs double-cab pickups can perform significantly different to each other.

Edited by IMHO

I believe it is a tax thing. The majority of never mid sized sedans will soon be gasoline hybrids. There is just no cost advantage of selling diesel cars in that segment of the market anymore.

To come back to the topic.. there was maybe a time where BMW, Merc, Audi and Volvo where such premium quality cars.. but today it's just cars, normal cars made like others, not better at all but you still pay for the brand name.

Now it's the same with everything that people buy, each brand has is own reputation and trust from the customers, even if it doesn't fit with reality, for example why people buy ice creams (haagen dazs) that cost way more than others, because of packaging and dream images that come in the mind of consumer.. but at the end it's just an ice cream full of AIR inside ^without any premium raw materials involved in.. just basic acceptable quality, so smart people are usually not abused in marketing tricks, but when ego wants to show off, it means no compromise on prices ^^

On my experience, i don't like German cars, way too firm : I prefer much more somthing like a Citroen for the comfort of the seats, suspension and quality interior feeling. If you are lucky enough to try a DS3 or DS5 one day, then you can compare with german style, and Comfort is rising to a real superior level, IMHO.

BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo etc are nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe much like GM/Ford/Chrysler is for the USA.

Depends.. When your talking entry level cars, yes.. They are selling the bottom of the range, for the aspirational segment who want the badge, and its not much different than a mid tier lower brand which will still be cheaper, you can argue even superior, sometimes.. I mean a C class 180 or something is not prestige outside of asia.. Then its a badge, then your right..

But move up the chain, I always buy slightly older, top end cars, fully loaded where someone else when out and dropped 100k on the car, and now its 10 or 15.. Drive a fully loaded C63 AMG and tell me theres much like that on the road, or a decent 7 series or S class.. Those flagship models are where the development and refinement comes in.. Sure if you get a problem, it can total the cost of the car, but you get them for throw away money, I dont mind the advanced running costs in fuel etc as your driving a car that 5 or so years back was for sultans and princes. For the price of my second hand vigo pickup here I would be sitting in a AMG top spec car in the west, and no that really isnt the same as the mass produced appliances and econoboxes here.

Again from my watchlist

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-MERCEDES-CLK63-AMG-AUTO-V8-AUTO-TIP-481-BHP-NAV-DIGITAL-TV-ONE-OWNER-/191860013255?hash=item2cabbf78c7:g:7RoAAOSwP~tW5vbr

CLK63 AMG 500 hp one owner car.. No thats not "nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe" !!

Or for half as much money a CLK 55... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mercedes-clk-55-amg-FSH-keyless-Distronic-/322089200273?hash=item4afe032a91:g:GfgAAOSw~oFXEpHY

Either of those are massive spec cars, that were high on the tree, and now selling for peanuts.. The drive feel of a coupe like that compares to some honda, or (laugh) citroen... is just worlds apart. My experience is they go forever also, my old mans africa car has over 400k miles on the clock and is trucking along smooth and rattle free, and that drives to africa and back a few times a year. As said, in the bog sports models they can have huge bills if and when things do break, but the over engineering means for me so far, I havnt had them do that..

It annoys the hell out of BMW and Merc owners when you suggest they're driving a german taxi. thumbsup.gif

Yes!! People don't realise that the home market has basic work-horses and the high-end versions are exported to countries where high import duties can only be justified if the buyer thinks he is getting something special.

a few years ago now in France I had to organise a hire car for an American customer - at the time it was going to be a large top of the range Renault or a Citroen - I thought the American might find the XM interesting.

Anyhow on arriving at the garage to pick it up, I was told that the Renault/Citroen weren't available nd would he make do with a Merc?

My customer was over the moon...that night at the hotel he went on and on about it to everyone how he's been upgraded to a Merc.......I just kept quiet....then he eventually turned to me and said

What, d'you recon? upgrade to one of the best car makers in the world?"

I replied - "Well, they make good taxis" - that shut him up for a bit.

i've said it before and I'll say it again....I'll never be old enough to buy a Merc.

Maybe you'll never be young at heart either.

This 1989 W124 classic sits on the road like a rock, and I enjoy blowing all the skyscraper Wildtraks, Hiluxes, Tritons Fortuners etc. etc. off into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. In comparison, they handle like slop in a bucket.

attachicon.gif1992-Benz-CE300-2.jpg

Nice.. I have a bit of a taste for those over engineered 80s and 90s series square teutonic mercs.. They have aged well IMO.

BMW/Merc/Audi/Volvo etc are nothing more than the bread and butter mass produced appliances for Europe much like GM/Ford/Chrysler is for the USA.

Well, I think that type of thinking comes from experience and word of mouth. My friend was rear ended by an 18 wheeler in his fathers Mercedes S500 20 years ago, he was sitting in the back seat, the entire rear was crushed, rear window shattered, he needed stiches across the back of his head. But all passengers survived, if he was in a Japanese car, he would have been dead.

So its stories like this that make people believers, and yes 20 years ago, German cars especially Mercedes were made like a tank and its really safer to be in. Nowadays, most Japanese cars are just as safe, but the safety factor of German car has remain in peoples heads.

Case in the point, last month the guy who drove at speeds over 200 km/hr that rear ended a ford focus killing the two passenger. His car was overturn, and the condition of his mercedes did not look like it crashed at 200 km/hr. Yet he walked away with minor injuries.

Its not just Thais, more people around the world would feel safer to crash in a Mercedes or BMW compare to a Japanese car.

Case in the point, last month the guy who drove at speeds over 200 km/hr that rear ended a ford focus killing the two passenger. His car was overturn, and the condition of his mercedes did not look like it crashed at 200 km/hr. Yet he walked away with minor injuries.

There was a similar one in February but the merc hit a Ford fiesta, in this one the merc came out mostly unscathed considering the speed.

It annoys the hell out of BMW and Merc owners when you suggest they're driving a german taxi. thumbsup.gif

Yes!! People don't realise that the home market has basic work-horses and the high-end versions are exported to countries where high import duties can only be justified if the buyer thinks he is getting something special.

a few years ago now in France I had to organise a hire car for an American customer - at the time it was going to be a large top of the range Renault or a Citroen - I thought the American might find the XM interesting.

Anyhow on arriving at the garage to pick it up, I was told that the Renault/Citroen weren't available nd would he make do with a Merc?

My customer was over the moon...that night at the hotel he went on and on about it to everyone how he's been upgraded to a Merc.......I just kept quiet....then he eventually turned to me and said

What, d'you recon? upgrade to one of the best car makers in the world?"

I replied - "Well, they make good taxis" - that shut him up for a bit.

i've said it before and I'll say it again....I'll never be old enough to buy a Merc.

Maybe you'll never be young at heart either.

This 1989 W124 classic sits on the road like a rock, and I enjoy blowing all the skyscraper Wildtraks, Hiluxes, Tritons Fortuners etc. etc. off into the weeds in the hills between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. In comparison, they handle like slop in a bucket.

attachicon.gif1992-Benz-CE300-2.jpg

I never understand what people buy Mercedes. I know they are well engineered but every time I look at one I cant help but think it is a taxi as Germany use a lot of Mercedes as taxi's. Even my wife wont have one. I asked if she wanted one and her response was They are for old people" Apologies to all you Mercedes lovers

Just have to put the taxi argument to rest. Its really silly to think just because it is a taxi in Germany and other European countries ,than it loses its value and image. So I just had to look it up online, why?

Mercedes is not the cheapest taxi car Germans can buy, so why do they buy it? Here is why:

Mercedes gives around 14% rebate.

Seats are fitted with more durable leather

Heavy Duty Suspension

Specialize taxi service facilities (not sure what it is, did not go find out more)

Bigger leg room, and the fact that they are driving a Mercedes not VW or Japanese car

Last but not least, the cars made back then were really more durable

So to knock people driving a mercedes is kind of sillly, it should be said it is the choice of taxi drivers because of how good the car is and they are willing to pay more to use it as a Taxi! too bad most here think the other way around

Nowadays, there are less Mercedes Taxi because cars are not as durable compare to before, cars are overengineered so more small problems creep up and parts are more expensive. VW seems to be taking more shares as they have those minivan that can sit 5-7 and cost cheaper.

There was a similar one in February but the merc hit a Ford fiesta, in this one the merc came out mostly unscathed considering the speed.

I believe it is the Fiesta not the Focus...remembered the date and model wrong...

It's just a feeling of security... this guy was lucky, his car hit a little bit the other small car and it just flipped over.. at 200km/h yes ^^ so the car is safe on this case.. but look what happen 16 april for this BMW driver :

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local/delray-fire-rescue-several-injured-in-2-car-crash-/nq6dj/

Delray crash: 1 dead, 12 injured when BMW, van collide

041716-DB-FATAL-CRASH-04.jpgDB-CRASH_1.jpg

So better drive a minivan than a BMW.. what do you think ?

===============

Also look at this one recently too : http://abc7news.com/traffic/2-dead-in-3-car-crash-on-crow-canyon-road-near-castro-valley/1221378/

Just before 9 p.m. Friday, the CHP said the black BMW tried to pass a car on Crow Canyon Road just north of Norris Canyon Road near Castro Valley. It crossed the double yellow lines in the northbound lane and collided head-on with a pickup truck killing two men in the BMW, the driver and the front passenger.

that means PICKUP are safer than BMW, nop ?

Anyway, people can't buy 100% Safety life on the roads ! you maybe add some lucky power with few amulettes.. if you like it ! or buy a HUMMER, that might be the safest choice theses days on the road.