Why Build a Terminal 21 in Pattaya? by The Pattaya Sleuth

Inspire

On 7/5/2018 at 10:59 PM, dabhand said:

Kev-in-Thailand has a YT out today that shows a sign at Rompho Market that confirms the land owners as 'Church of Christ in Thailand (The Bangkok Christian Hospital)'.

It also indicated that the lease (to Mr Somsak Srikram) will expire on April 1, 2019.

No clear indication as to what happens next. Could be a new mall / another Big C / hospital or who knows.

RLR001609.tif

10 hours ago, balo said:

Back to topic. Terminal 21 looks almost finished inside , I spotted a London bus through the glass,  and with lights switched on the mall looks spectacular , same as in Bangkok. I'm impressed by how fast they could do this.

Opening date is in October. 

Yes it looked spectacular indeed.

South Pattaya has Big C,Tesco,Outlet mall,Mike (big and small) Friendship (big and small) Tukcom then there is Central festival Pattaya Beach,The Avenue,Royal Garden,Harbor Mall, Big C central Pattaya AKA Carrefour (another new one on beach road cant remember the name) Central festival North Pattaya AKA big C North
and Tesco North Pattaya ++ any I forgot about. !!

44 minutes ago, johng said:

South Pattaya has Big C,Tesco,Outlet mall,Mike (big and small) Friendship (big and small) Tukcom then there is Central festival Pattaya Beach,The Avenue,Royal Garden,Harbor Mall, Big C central Pattaya AKA Carrefour (another new one on beach road cant remember the name) Central festival North Pattaya AKA big C North

Not malls most of them . 

A big mall is what needed with different categories of shops inside.  

Tesco is hardly anything near looking like a mall.  

• Like 1

While I agree that Tescos and Big Cs hardly count as what we consider 'Malls'
But for a lot of Thai people at the lower end of the market, it is, especially out in the boondocks,

the typical Tescos and BigC would have: cheap charlie food courts,  chain restaurants, KFCs, MKs, or Pizza Company and Japanese like Fuji if you're feeling fancy, Mobile Phone/Camera shops, Banks, some of the bigger one have Cinema on the top floor now too.

Which beg the questions, for those of us that makes the weekly or monthly pilgrimage to Central: if you're not shopping for brand name goods what exactly do we need to go to 'proper' malls for? Slightly higher end chain restaurant? Cinema in English?

I believe that it will just attract people from miles around to come and "shop" look around there and fill the roads with more traffic. When we worked in BKK the wife and i used to go just to look around and eat in the food hall .i honestly dont think i ever bought anything there.mind you apart from food and some shopping in Tops we rarely spend anything in Central either

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

Which beg the questions, for those of us that makes the weekly or monthly pilgrimage to Central: if you're not shopping for brand name goods what exactly do we need to go to 'proper' malls for? Slightly higher end chain restaurant? Cinema in English?

Good question.

I think we should look at T21 in Asoke and see how they are doing. The few times I have visited it was always crowded with a big mix of locals, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese and us farangs. 

Terminal 21 is like a meeting point, grab a coffee, then buy some fashionable clothes , watches or whatever. Big lunch or dinner with an international atmosphere, or just a cheap lunch in the food court. And it's quality all the way. Tesco food court is cheap and ugly.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johng said:

Yet there's only one department store in Pattaya. I'm not sure if T21 will have one as the T21 in Bangkok does not and it doesn't fit their model.  

9 hours ago, balo said:

Good question.

I think we should look at T21 in Asoke and see how they are doing. The few times I have visited it was always crowded with a big mix of locals, Japanese, Koreans, Chinese and us farangs. 

Terminal 21 is like a meeting point, grab a coffee, then buy some fashionable clothes , watches or whatever. Big lunch or dinner with an international atmosphere, or just a cheap lunch in the food court. And it's quality all the way. Tesco food court is cheap and ugly.

I was at T21 in Bangkok last night. It was very busy. Restaurants you can just walk into in Pattaya were handing out tickets, even at 8 pm. The food court was still pumping at 9 pm, an hour before closing... but of course, BKK T21 is directly on a BTS/MRT intersection, one of the busiest public transport areas in Bangkok.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2018 at 9:03 AM, tropo said:

I was at T21 in Bangkok last night. It was very busy. Restaurants you can just walk into in Pattaya were handing out tickets, even at 8 pm. The food court was still pumping at 9 pm, an hour before closing... but of course, BKK T21 is directly on a BTS/MRT intersection, one of the busiest public transport areas in Bangkok.

The one here will be the same just wait.

I went to the Central food court today just after 11 am.

The place was quickly packed and by 1130, lots of people were walking the mall.

But as mentioned before, the Central food court is close to twice the cost of the T21 in BKK.  I have been told the Pats T21 food court will be the same as BKK , with 800 seats.

So, will people go down the road a mile to save 40 or 50 b?  Haha, this is Thailand of course they will.

I bet it will be jammed from open to close.  And Chinese flags everywhere as the tours plan to make it one of the new hotspot stops.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The one here will be the same just wait.

I went to the Central food court today just after 11 am.

The place was quickly packed and by 1130, lots of people were walking the mall.

But as mentioned before, the Central food court is close to twice the cost of the T21 in BKK.  I have been told the Pats T21 food court will be the same as BKK , with 800 seats.

So, will people go down the road a mile to save 40 or 50 b?  Haha, this is Thailand of course they will.

I bet it will be jammed from open to close.  And Chinese flags everywhere as the tours plan to make it one of the new hotspot stops.

Do you have any idea how the sizes of both malls (BKK and Pattaya T21's) will compare?

39 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:
3 hours ago, tropo said:

Do you have any idea how the sizes of both malls (BKK and Pattaya T21's) will compare?

From the outside the Pattaya T21 looks  slightly bigger then the Bangkok T21 but I can’t prove it.

These are the only figures I can find at the moment.

Terminal 21 Bangkok: GLA (gross leasable area) = 45,000 m2 and total retail floor area = 55,000 m2.

By contrast, Central Festival Pattaya: GLA = 240,000 m2.

That doesn't seem right. It's hard to believe that Central Pattaya is 5x bigger than Terminal 21 in Bangkok.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

These are the only figures I can find at the moment.

Terminal 21 Bangkok: GLA (gross leasable area) = 45,000 m2 and total retail floor area = 55,000 m2.

By contrast, Central Festival Pattaya: GLA = 240,000 m2.

That doesn't seem right. It's hard to believe that Central Pattaya is 5x bigger than Terminal 21 in Bangkok.

This says Central Festival Pattaya Beach retail floor space is 57,000 M2. The retail podium is 200,000 M2. Not sure what that all means.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CentralFestival_Pattaya_Beach#CITEREFFact_Sheet

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 9:07 PM, paulyd2k said:

I don't actually think it would be a great attraction although I like the one in bkk, it is pretty vibrant and very varied, but pattaya is not really known for it`s big spenders, and you wouldn't just come here to shop, well yes but not that type of shopping ,lol. look at the new harbour in pattaya klang very few people scuttling around there now, and many places will be gone soon I think, and it`s not full yet anyway, also big c north pattaya is slowly going downhill, more empty shops about now and even black canyon coffee has gone now, so whilst it sounds great for new attractions coming to pattaya, most of the people shopping are the Russians but lot less now, and falangs treating there 20 year old girlfriends to new phones and gold or clothes, it just aint cosmopolitan enough, everything is mostly the same everywhere, shops bars,go go`s. it still has a very long way to go to become a nice beachfront resort,

Harbour is busier on weekends.  It will survive just like Avenue and Royal Garden have managed to survive.  They don't seem to have much overhead once they are built so they seem to manage to keep the lights on one way or another.

Edited by lapd

29 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:
45 minutes ago, balo said:

From the outside T21 looks the same size as in Bangkok . Why would they change the size .  

Because landplots usually differ in sizes..

A different size is not "changing the size". According to the numbers I've seen, T21 in Korat is 70,000 m2 GLA (gross leasable area), compared to 45,000 m2 GLA in Bangkok.

Edited by tropo

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

A different size is not "changing the size". According to the numbers I've seen, T21 in Korat is 70,000 m2 GLA (gross leasable area), compared to 45,000 m2 GLA in Bangkok.

Well i think the Pty T21 will be their biggest mall on their biggest landplot.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

I think that may be right.  There is a lot more walking space and open space in Central.

T21 BKK is more of an up and down concept.  The new one in Pats will be longer for sure then BKK.

2 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I think that may be right.  There is a lot more walking space and open space in Central.

T21 BKK is more of an up and down concept.  The new one in Pats will be longer for sure then BKK.

Another link puts the Central GLA at around 57,000 m2, so that a reasonable comparison. Perhaps Terminal 21 in Pattaya will be slightly larger than that. They are both of similar floor area, around 200,000 m2.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Well when I walk around inside T21 in Bangkok , it feels bigger than Central Festival .  But maybe that is because of the height , it's not as wide as Central . 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.  The Terminal 21 website shows the Bangkok T21 with 10 floors, although there is not much on the floor marked "B".   Pattaya, on the other hand, has 5 floors shown on the website, not counting the hotel, with a longer building.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Another link puts the Central GLA at around 57,000 m2, so that a reasonable comparison. Perhaps Terminal 21 in Pattaya will be slightly larger than that. They are both of similar floor area, around 200,000 m2.

T21 website says Pattaya will be 45,000 sqm GLA, 180,000 sqm gross area.

• Like 1