Expats in Thailand - what do you intend to do when you're old (70,80,90+)?

simon43

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best insurance is to preserve your body and mind with adequate lifestyle.

Good idea. So hookers only every other night then? coffee1.gif

---------------------------------

Get real .....at 70 years of age, a different girl every night is a thing of the past, my friend.

Only if you don't want it or can't afford it.

I am 78 years old now having been here 16 years this time.Coming here off and on since 1961.I will endevor to continue to play golf,drink a bit of good whisky,enjoy the charms of a lot of beautiful and younger women.Here is to The Good Life. Dirty Jim "The working's girls friend".

"What would your plans be if you reach a good age?"

I think we need to think about just what is a "good age".

I once asked my doctor how many years it would add to my life if tried to lead a "healthier life" no smoking, no drinking healthy diet and more exercise?

He asked me how many extra years of wearing a diaper I really wanted.

Just what is a good age if the quality of life sucks?

Told my doctor I'd given up smoking, drinking, late nights and 4 times a week casual sexual encounters.

I asked him how much longer I would live because of all my good resolutions.

He asked me why I would want to live longer ?

I guess you haven't actually seen people die of lung cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, untreated high blood pressure and HIV? Not to mention alcoholic dementia. I'm very much surprised a doctor would say such a thing. None of those are quick or pleasant ways to go. You're incapacitated and your care is expensive at the end.

Very sad to say I have.

The one thing I hated was the money and time spent by my wife and her family for 4 weeks when there was absolutely nothing that could be done to cure his cancer.

Every night leaving the hospital with my wife and her sisters who were totally drained by the experience.

He couldn't talk, move or communicate in any way and I'm convinced he was in pain both mentally and physically for those 4 weeks.

All his life he never smoked and drank a glass of wine sometimes, with a meal.

My mother smoked all her life and died peacefully in her sleep at 90.

Oh! i really dont know and i dont care,as long as its quick.I've had a great life and death will hold no fears for me when he walks through my door.In fact,me and him are good friends,i should have walked away with him many times,but he always told me i had a bit more time. Who can say when you are going to die,no!i remember now, my uncle kenny knew the exact day he was going to die...the judge told him!

All i know is that i want to live as long as i can,and can as long as i want to.And when i do die(at a ripe old age) i want my girlfriend to be so upset,that she has to drop out of school for the day,to attend my burning.

Here endeth the lesson.

I am lucky in not only having a top class wife but also a top class family but I will say this you only get out what you put in and when there have been occasions in the past when Papa or a member of the family has been ill, we have been there showing our love and concern in practical ways. Not money intensive but definitely "love" intensive

If you're in your 70s, how old is 'Papa'?

I am 71 Papa is 81

We are both very active may I add, Papa with taking the monks around at the local temple in his ancient Tuk tuk and distributing the left over food from the temple to the poor old folk in the village and me with my cheapo walk up golf and cycling

"What would your plans be if you reach a good age?"

I think we need to think about just what is a "good age".

I once asked my doctor how many years it would add to my life if tried to lead a "healthier life" no smoking, no drinking healthy diet and more exercise?

He asked me how many extra years of wearing a diaper I really wanted.

Just what is a good age if the quality of life sucks?

Told my doctor I'd given up smoking, drinking, late nights and 4 times a week casual sexual encounters.

I asked him how much longer I would live because of all my good resolutions.

He asked me why I would want to live longer ?

I guess you haven't actually seen people die of lung cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, untreated high blood pressure and HIV? Not to mention alcoholic dementia. I'm very much surprised a doctor would say such a thing. None of those are quick or pleasant ways to go. You're incapacitated and your care is expensive at the end.

Very sad to say I have.

The one thing I hated was the money and time spent by my wife and her family for 4 weeks when there was absolutely nothing that could be done to cure his cancer.

Every night leaving the hospital with my wife and her sisters who were totally drained by the experience.

He couldn't talk, move or communicate in any way and I'm convinced he was in pain both mentally and physically for those 4 weeks.

All his life he never smoked and drank a glass of wine sometimes, with a meal.

My mother smoked all her life and died peacefully in her sleep at 90.

The previous post about the doctor was a joke by the way.

In will work until the day I drop. I enjoy doing so. I would liker to live to an age over 100 providing I am still fit to exercise and wipe my own backside. Also living to that age I will be able to claim my state pension and feel I got a good return. I still pay into it and I am nearly 50. This may obviously change as I get older, although I doubt it, as I firmly believe the day I stop working, is the day to start digging my own grave. I have seen too many people plan for retirement and die shortly after reaching their goal.

Fact. Most people die within 3 years of retiring, no matter at what age you retire.

EDIT note: Not sure what happened there, posted a quote with no comment. How did that happen?

Edited by ThaiKneeTim

In will work until the day I drop. I enjoy doing so. I would liker to live to an age over 100 providing I am still fit to exercise and wipe my own backside. Also living to that age I will be able to claim my state pension and feel I got a good return. I still pay into it and I am nearly 50. This may obviously change as I get older, although I doubt it, as I firmly believe the day I stop working, is the day to start digging my own grave. I have seen too many people plan for retirement and die shortly after reaching their goal.

Fact. Most people die within 3 years of retiring, no matter at what age you retire.

I can assure you that my dad most definitely did not retire at 80 years of age!

I have a "sort of adopted Thai Family" I help to

Make their life more pleasant. I plan to help

Them build a nice new home, and a small

Separate house for me. I will pay for a medical

Assistant if necessary and I know they will look

After me....I am financially secure but would

Never want to be in a nursing home in The

States.....Second option. Couple of tabs of

Sodium morphine if in a lot of pain and out of

Here.

I'm sorry, but calling something a fact does not make it so.

Retirement age in Oz. was 65, average lifespan was 76+ a couple of years ago (forgotten the exact figure and can't be bothered looking it up).

It is true according to one study I saw recently that people who have not cultivated a social group outside of work by the time they retire, or soon afterwards, have a far higher chance of dying soon. It's not the work that keeps you alive, it's having social contact, though I'm confident that "doing something useful and/or enjoyable" is also a life enhancing occupation.

I can assure you that my dad most definitely did not retire at 80 years of age!

Please note:-

Most = more than 50%

Many = more than 3 but less than 50%

All = 100%

Those intending to repatriate when things get really bad with the age related problems, have you considered you might not be fit to fly when the time comes?

Maybe there are passenger boats to Australia, not sure, but how would an American get home without flying?

An ambulance flight costs what? Over 100K dollars I think.

This is a topic that's discussed with what would some would call depressing frequency on the Chiang Mai forum where some expats don't even make the decision to relocate to Thailand until after age 70.

For example, this thread on Dok Kaew Gardens, one of the better known, longer established and reasonably priced cared home in Chiang Mai that is able to accomodate foreigners:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/767980-assisted-living-at-dok-kaew-gardens-at-mckean/page-3

Unlike similar places in the west, the facilities in Chiang Mai are staffed by caring people who don't "slag off and neglect you".

From what I've seen (I'm president of the CM Expats Club, basically a club for retired people) the most successful older expats are those with a wide social network, who have kept active, both mentally and socially. Not necessarily those who have a Thai wife/GF, but those who have some close and caring western friends who they trust to step in if they are unable to take care of themselves. Accidents happen or people can get to the point that they aren't capable of remembering when to take medication properly or how to handle their finances. Those are usually the first two things to go when people start to have declining mental function. It's important to have someone close to you that is able and trusted enough to intervene before you get into trouble because you're not managing your medications and/or your finances properly. Often a Thai spouse or trusted maid isn't the person able to do this.

"Often a Thai spouse or trusted maid isn't the person able to do this". Are you always inclined to radical generalisation and putting people down only because they come from a different ethnic background, which you clearly believe is below that to what you were born to? I have seldom read such complete and uneducated tosh in my life. My Wife, who is Thai and is not only a very caring and loving person, but is highly intelligent having obtained Degrees in both Thailand and in Australia. I suspect she has far more compassion in her little finger than you have and a brain securely lodged in her head, which reading this racist drivel makes me wonder where yours is? Would strongly recommend that in future you engage brain before keyboard.1zgarz5.gif

I think NancyL was speaking in the context of a foriegner who relocates to Thailand in their 70's...as mentioned early in the post.

Being married or in a trusted relationship is an entirely different matter.

I'd have to agree with him/her, teaming up with a maid or spouse you've met on the run in Thailand whilest in your 70's (her presumably much younger) is not an ideal scenario.

And your response to this extract of NancyL's contribution is: "Not necessarily those who have a Thai wife/GF, but those who have some close and caring western friends who they trust to step in if they are unable to take care of themselves." By implication she is saying Thai Wife/GF cannot be trusted and that only close Western Friends should be trusted. What utter racial rubbish and I stick with post-4641-1156693976.gif . Suggest you read more closely before commenting.

I am now 78 years old...

@SanukJim, you posted that 3 times already smile.png Are u sure the dementia hasn't taken hold already???

Only joking - I wish u a long, happy and healthy life

Sorry mate,accident or may be a bit of dementia creeping in. Have a good one DJ

My lady of twenty+ years adopted a couple of kids, we put a dozen more village kids thru school, including a niece thru medical school (ongoing) I ain't gonna have any problem in my old years, there's gonna be a lot of people to take care of me..........but thats not what I am worried about - I have lived/worked in combat zones since the 60's - I'm bullet proof, been shot there times, blown up and bayoneted, all in an easy to heal place, what I am worried about is the bad ass of all diseases - ALS - no history in my family, just don't want to be the first.............if it ever gets to the point of that I can't remember anybody's name, or wipe my own Bum, Fagetaboutit!! I want to check out-like right away.

1zgarz5.gif

Oh before I forget, I want to drink beer, eat everything I an't supposed to, get massages, walk on beaches and spend my money, I didn't work 50 years so someone else can spend it. clap2.gifclap2.gif

Those intending to repatriate when things get really bad with the age related problems, have you considered you might not be fit to fly when the time comes?

Maybe there are passenger boats to Australia, not sure, but how would an American get home without flying?

Agreed. And it takes more than fitness to fly. If you've been in Thailand a long time (or things have gotten "really bad" health-wise) AND you no longer really have a place to go back home to, you might not be "fit enough" to actually be pulling up roots and laboring to put them down again. Unless I guess you still have family or really close friends willing to shoulder your burden. For some at least, just making the assumption that you'll be able to do it when you reach that "certain age" or things get bad might need a more careful rethink.

I love these threads. You got old blokes asking older blokes what they will do when they get "old" lol. Must be the only country on earth where remarkably all the old folk still have all their teeth and hair and look far younger than their actual age. Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and aging somehow manage to be fitter, faster, more athletic and have more sexual stamina than guys 5 or more decades their junior. Amazing Thailand eh! Sheesh talk about believing your own publicity. Cough cough I'm calling BS on that one

I love these threads. You got old blokes asking older blokes what they will do when they get "old" lol. Must be the only country on earth where remarkably all the old folk still have all their teeth and hair and look far younger than their actual age. Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and aging somehow manage to be fitter, faster, more athletic and have more sexual stamina than guys 5 or more decades their junior. Amazing Thailand eh! Sheesh talk about believing your own publicity. Cough cough I'm calling BS on that one

Oi!!! I went to immigration a month or two back and the officer had to ask me several times how old i was,,,,,,,she didnt believe I was 52.......of course you can take that either waywink.png

When I first came here,I used to get "why you not do "retirement" extension ? ..er.mmm, "because I am not old enough", so yes, it does go the other way, but also told "hansum man" (in some locations biggrin.png )

You are of course welcome to believe whatever you want.

Though my post about the remarkably fit and fast 75yr old cyclist was about a guy in Australia. And yes, he is definitely faster than many cyclists 5 or more decades his junior doing the same rides.

When I was a kid I had trouble keeping up with my mother when she walked around the shops. When she was 82, I was a full foot taller and a bit proud of how fast I can walk, and I still struggled to keep up.

Are you calling BS on those as well?

To a degree you are of course correct, it's an inbuilt human failing that we see and portray ourselves and actions in the best possible light. We even unconsciously change our memories in this regard, so there is a certain amount of BS in everything we say. However, it doesn't mean that we can't be healthy and having a good life in our later years. And those who are motivated often do.

Your statement of "Contrary to all we know about science, genetics and ageing" is a fallacious argument. While fallacious, the thrust of your argument is still correct for those that sit around all day swilling beer etc. However, for those that stay active what we know about ageing shows a large flaw in your argument.

It is well known to science that "if" we stay physically active we can make large differences to our apparent age, including everything from skin elasticity to cognition.

Here is one about getting to die of old age without having a disability first. The short form is that being physically active doubles our chance of avoiding disability. Lots more along these lines on Google scholar....

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/149/7/654.short

You, Sir, may have an excess of pride over humility but I do not. I don't lose face by admitting I have lost faculties if it is true. I for one do not claim capabilities that I do not have. Out of you and me, I am the one that knows what I can do and you do not. There are no lies, no exaggeration and no BS.

On this occasion, your "knowledge" of science and genetics has failed you. I issue you with a challenge: I ask you to name ANYTHING that a 71 year old man such as I should (sic) be suffering from and I can reply honestly (as I write) NOTHING! I don't even wear glasses.

Be sceptical by all means but being cynical, bigoted and a know-all requires only that you recognise your future silence will be golden for those of us that don't fit your personal stereotype.

Edited by ChrisKC

I'd like to choose an age to die, hopefully in 30-40 years you will be allowed to purchase a euthanasia kit and away you go, or even better go into Boots you lie down they inject you and take you from there.

I have no interest being in a home dribbling away.

I'd like to choose an age to die, hopefully in 30-40 years you will be allowed to purchase a euthanasia kit and away you go, or even better go into Boots you lie down they inject you and take you from there.

I have no interest being in a home dribbling away.

I agree in principal but not with your proposed method of choosing years.

It's true that the chance of being nondisabled before death by old age is low for sedentary people (26% for the American men mentioned in the previously linked study). But doubling that chance just by being active? Excellent, now it's above 50%. Now take into account diet, it's not at all hard to have a much better diet in Thailand than the average American (and don't stress about "low fat", another BS american idea that is finally getting seen for what it is).

Add to that having a relaxed lifestyle, not spending half your life in traffic and the many other possible life enhancing advantages of Thailand and the chance of being in pretty good condition until you die is actually fairly good. Well, if you avoid getting run over and keep away from dark lanes when too drunk to think...

:)

Agreed. And it takes more than fitness to fly. If you've been in Thailand a long time (or things have gotten "really bad" health-wise) AND you no longer really have a place to go back home to, you might not be "fit enough" to actually be pulling up roots and laboring to put them down again. Unless I guess you still have family or really close friends willing to shoulder your burden. For some at least, just making the assumption that you'll be able to do it when you reach that "certain age" or things get bad might need a more careful rethink.

Yes, very good point, but those issues can largely be addressed if you have a lot of money to spend on reestablishing your life. Coming from abroad for a long time, you might not have local documents anymore like driver's licenses or credit cards, a recent credit history, etc. But there is usually a way to deal with such things with money. For example, to rent a first place, find a crappy place with a desperate landlord and pay a year's rent in advance. It's a start anyway.

But you're very right, there is a lot more to it than being physically fit to fly.

Per the latest medical findings, I intend to double my lifespan by acquiring and consuming rare vintage red wines and gourmet-brand Belgian chocolate.

And if you are looking for an agreeable companion to share with you, I am your man.

Per the latest medical findings, I intend to double my lifespan by acquiring and consuming rare vintage red wines and gourmet-brand Belgian chocolate.

As long as you do it actively. :)

Mmmmm.... Belgian chocolate.. And a little red to cleanse the palate... For that I could take up drinking :)