Thieves take away ATM machine with over 2 million baht cash inside

Thieves take away ATM machine with over 2 million baht cash inside

020501-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Unknown number of thieves stole a whole ATM machine of Bank of Ayudhya containing over two million baht in cash from its branch at Bang Phli in Samut Prakarn province, and escaped before dawn Monday.

Bang Kaeo station police and forensic police are inspecting the branch bank this morning to hunt down thieves.

The bank office is located at Village Group 3 in Tambon Rajateva of Bang Phlee district.

The burglary was alerted to the police after bank officials in charge of ATM monitoring became suspicious after communication contact with the machine abruptly disappeared from their monitoring at 02.50 am today.

At first they thought it was the collapse of the Internet connection.

They later advised the security guard at the bank to go and inspect the machine.

It was later found the whole machine was taken away, police said.

Police said the thieves, believed to comprise up to three persons, used gas cutter to cut off five bolts that embedded the machine with the box, and easily take it out and escaped.

They also believed the thieves used car in the burglary and might came to inspect the target before plotting how to steal the machine.

Police said the bank locates at a rather remote place.

They are examining the bank’s and adjacent video cameras to trace the thieves.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/161802

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-02

I don't know why there is not wholesale theft of ATMs in Thailand. They are placed in totally insecure and often remote places like those ones at the end of drives to a factory. It is a simple matter of organisation to have a JCB, a truck and some cutters.

In another story the Prime Minister calls upon workers to improve their skills.

Gen Prayut said "...the government attaches great significance to the improvement of skilled workers and the enhancement of workers' abilities to generate income".

The Prime Ministers wish seems to be coming true already with ATM removal skills being raised to a new level.

I don't know why there is not wholesale theft of ATMs in Thailand. They are placed in totally insecure and often remote places like those ones at the end of drives to a factory. It is a simple matter of organisation to have a JCB, a truck and some cutters.

I second this.

In the west we are more used to the "smash and grab" of ATM's, often with a truck and crane. crashing through a wall or shop front to take one away....

i have wondered many times when i see totally unsecured ATM's here in Thailand.... Maybe they will soon catch on to it....

coffee1.gif

They later advised the security guard at the bank to go and inspect the machine.

Translation: after finally waking-up the security guard, the guard promptly confirmed the ATM was gone and secured the crime scene.

And I wonders why took the local thieves so long to come up with this caper, something that is being

done over and over again in many countries around the world,,, I guess that even the thieves in Thailand

are slow and lazy........

Awaiting with 'baited breath' for the abundance of witty comments from TV members. Summonsing the Security Guard! - You couldn't make it up, another one of the daily acts of utter amazement in "Amazing Thailand".

Edited by bdenner

I second this.

In the west we are more used to the "smash and grab" of ATM's, often with a truck and crane. crashing through a wall or shop front to take one away....

i have wondered many times when i see totally unsecured ATM's here in Thailand.... Maybe they will soon catch on to it....

coffee1.gif

I think the reason is that when they bust open the machine, a load of black dye is sprayed over the cash making it unusable. Not 100% sure on this though.

Translation: after finally waking-up the security guard, the guard promptly confirmed the ATM was gone and secured the crime scene.

Well you forgot, the main point.... they woke him up at home, when i got to the bank he confirmed...... cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You cant make this ..... up cheesy.gif

On the lighter side. I left my bank card for my Thai bank in the machine in a mall outside the bank today in Bang Saen, went to Tops to do some shopping, realized I did not have my card. I rushed to the bank.

An honest I will assume Thai person had taken it and given it to bank employees. Whoever you are thank you very much, and thank you to the bank.

In another story the Prime Minister calls upon workers to improve their skills.

Gen Prayut said "...the government attaches great significance to the improvement of skilled workers and the enhancement of workers' abilities to generate income".

The Prime Ministers wish seems to be coming true already with ATM removal skills being raised to a new level.

I don't think anything was raised to a new level - it was all done on the ground floor.

And I wonders why took the local thieves so long to come up with this caper, something that is being

done over and over again in many countries around the world,,, I guess that even the thieves in Thailand

are slow and lazy........

Perhaps the problem was finding a car big enough to fit an ATM in.......

"Police said the thieves, believed to comprise up to three persons, used gas cutter to cut off five bolts that embedded the machine with the box, and easily take it out and escaped. They also believed the thieves used car in the burglary and might came to inspect the target before plotting how to steal the machine."

Wow the mind boggles. They actually "might have" thought about it and planned it before rolling out to do it!!!

Edited by The Deerhunter

I second this.

coffee1.gif

I think the reason is that when they bust open the machine, a load of black dye is sprayed over the cash making it unusable. Not 100% sure on this though.

I know a really nice Nigerian man who will sell you a special detergent which will clean all the black banknotes perfectly. In fact he will sell you the black banknotes to start with.

Aussies are much more advanced in robbing ATMs we fill them with gas and blow them open , no need to transport them anywhere, when are Thai banks going to put tracking devices in ATM s ,

and what sort of gas would you use?? that does not burn the contents..

On the lighter side. I left my bank card for my Thai bank in the machine in a mall outside the bank today in Bang Saen, went to Tops to do some shopping, realized I did not have my card. I rushed to the bank.

An honest I will assume Thai person had taken it and given it to bank employees. Whoever you are thank you very much, and thank you to the bank.

Umm, generous assumption, but wrong. If the card isn't removed reasonably promptly, the ATM swallows it. This prevents forgotten cards being used by "less than honest" people who see it sitting in the slot.

I have also been caught by this as it seems the sequence is different here, where the cash is offered before the card is removed. I spent too long putting the cash away while talking to the g/f, only to see the card disappear back inside. Took 3 days to get it back.

Edited by halloween