Poll: Should the Pattaya Metropolitan Area Build a Subway/Underground?

Jingthing

Pattaya Subway  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I believe that outside help is close to hand, namely from China. For trade and tourism, better infrastructure is vital not just in Pattaya but to and from Pattaya. Don't forget that any major rail or road link in this part of the world will likely be part financed by China. It's in their interests, so they will help.

I don't think so.

Pie in the sky.

No rail or more road links needed from airport to pattaya.

1 hour 30 is not bad, 2 hours buy bus not bad.

Just a load of wishful thinking from a few i think.

Edited by onemorechang

Do you have any idea how long it would take to complete such a project here? The pork barrel tunnel is scheduled for 3 years; and I think we'd all bet on the side of it taking longer. A subway system project here would require at least 10 years of total chaos, as it was built. It would make the pork barrel tunnel chaos look like an open road!

Sorry, JT; but this is as close to a troll post as I've ever seen from you.

Because something will take "too long", that is a reason not to do it?

The US Interstate Highway system was started in 1956, and proclaimed "complete" in 1992. Thirty-six years. And more expansion will come in the future.

I guess that never should have been started, since it took "so long".

Short term, yes it's not happening.

I'm really talking longer term and what if the leaders here were more visionary, would be shorter term.

Again, do you really think the mass transit situation here will be the same in 50 years?

Given it would take about 10 years to get the beginning of a comprehensive system running ... and it's not starting now, this isn't quite as science fiction as it might sound.

I say absolutely yes, dig lots of subway tunnels. If they are big enough they might keep the streets from flooding every time there is a sprinkle of rain.

All they have to do is install lot of very big water pumps instead of trains and everyone would praise the city management.

All they need is a ban on private cars in the city a number of lage parking lots around Pattaya and a FREE comprehensive baht bus system covering the central parts of town.

This could be implemented immediately to a very small cost. Private cars could be allowed with proof of recidency inside the city or at a high entry fee.

Do you have any idea how long it would take to complete such a project here? The pork barrel tunnel is scheduled for 3 years; and I think we'd all bet on the side of it taking longer. A subway system project here would require at least 10 years of total chaos, as it was built. It would make the pork barrel tunnel chaos look like an open road!

Sorry, JT; but this is as close to a troll post as I've ever seen from you.

Because something will take "too long", that is a reason not to do it?

The US Interstate Highway system was started in 1956, and proclaimed "complete" in 1992. Thirty-six years. And more expansion will come in the future.

I guess that never should have been started, since it took "so long".

Excellent point. The United States and Pattaya are totally compatible in size. And your detailed comparison of the traffic disruption caused by the USA Interstate Highway system during its construction really supports your position. ... Good griet!

I recall the current and now long term mayor had floated a cosmetic touristic oriented monorail system (not even close to a comprehensive mass transit solution) as a literally "pie in the sky" campaign promotion. Kind of like Seattle monorail ... a small puff system for tourists, it doesn't serve many residents. Then there were a few meetings and it was over. I don't many people ever thought it was actually serious and again, it wasn't a transit system.

Years later, Pattaya has changed a lot and the roads are totally clogged for much of the time.

People say building mass transit is expensive. Yes, it is. They fail to consider to costs, including to quality of life, to NOT build it.

I'm talking about a real system that expands over the entire region.

Pattaya has changed a lot in in the last decade but one thing has not, Pattaya BB Mafia, they stopped the buses...

One thing for sure unless Pattaya is put under martial law the BB Mafia and those in their pockets are not going to let this happen.

l like the idea of a Skytrain.

Underground would be nearly below sea level.

lf the tunnels were too close to the surface to avoid seawater seepage, then there are the stinking street runoff drains to worry about.

And thats not even taking into account the rainy season.

l've peered into excavations even several blocks from the shore & seen nothing but yellow or orange sand.

Skytrain, to connect with the existing system which l think ends at Bang Na.

Edited by soc

One measure they could introduce to improve the traffic flow is the junction of 3rd Row with Pattaya Tai. Instead of one junction at a time let both directions on Pattay Tai go at the same time vice versa 3rd Road.

Buses? Just something else to clog up traffic. Never worked in Bangkok to reduce road congestion and will never work here.

Yes buses; like most other southeast Asian countries have.

I know you are all wound up on this visionary subway or metro lark but you may have missed that I suggested that commuter buses would REPLACE the hundreds of (your beloved) empty baht buses. Commuter buses worked perfectly well in Bangkok when it was smaller but I agree, as traffic grew, they became a hindrance. This is because nobody thought (and they still don't think) about traffic management which requires educating the average Somchai and the active involvement of cops who are enforcing the laws. The BMTA saw that was too hard so switched to minibuses to serve the outer areas and now they are everywhere. Whether 6 of them is more efficient than a commuter bus is debatable: they still take up the same space; and less people get killed.

I should have mentioned that buses and meter taxis and defined bus stops and terminuses all need the cooperation of the users, ie. no request stops which is a major issue with baht buses. So there we have it, buses, meter taxis, regulated motorcycle taxis all with law-abiding drivers and car parks and bus stops and educated commuters and law enforcing policemen.

That's just as much a pipe dream as any subway or elevated railway.

OK, OK... I am derailing your next 'hot' thread so try this. Give an example of a similar sized large town/small city that has its own underground and/or overhead rail.

Not at all a troll thread.

Sure it would take a long time.

Either Pattaya is a major metro area, or not.

It's clear to me it already is and looking to the future MUST start building decent infrastructure for that.

Joke of the year! Completion in 22nd century maybe, if they start right away!

Buses? Just something else to clog up traffic. Never worked in Bangkok to reduce road congestion and will never work here.

Yes buses; like most other southeast Asian countries have.

I know you are all wound up on this visionary subway or metro lark but you may have missed that I suggested that commuter buses would REPLACE the hundreds of (your beloved) empty baht buses. Commuter buses worked perfectly well in Bangkok when it was smaller but I agree, as traffic grew, they became a hindrance. This is because nobody thought (and they still don't think) about traffic management which requires educating the average Somchai and the active involvement of cops who are enforcing the laws. The BMTA saw that was too hard so switched to minibuses to serve the outer areas and now they are everywhere. Whether 6 of them is more efficient than a commuter bus is debatable: they still take up the same space; and less people get killed.

I should have mentioned that buses and meter taxis and defined bus stops and terminuses all need the cooperation of the users, ie. no request stops which is a major issue with baht buses. So there we have it, buses, meter taxis, regulated motorcycle taxis all with law-abiding drivers and car parks and bus stops and educated commuters and law enforcing policemen.

That's just as much a pipe dream as any subway or elevated railway.

OK, OK... I am derailing your next 'hot' thread so try this. Give an example of a similar sized large town/small city that has its own underground and/or overhead rail.

Okay I think the idea of Pattaya ever having a subway will never happen in our life times but for the sake of argument...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lausanne_Metro

Population: 133,987 according to the 2014 census on wiki anyway.

I am not sure but the people of Lausanne, Switzerland are probably a bit more sophisticated and forward thinking then the people of Pattaya. You must also bare in mind that this is the smallest metro area in the world to have a subway of which three stops are underground. It is the exception to the rule. Now Pattaya may very well be the exception to the rule in many ways but not in areas such as this.

Edited by anotheruser

Yes, streetcars would be a great idea. Remnants of a bygone age and would fit well with Pattaya's rather strained, youthful image. They would also be awesome of taking out red-light runners and green light jumpers with a commensurate improvement in the local and expat gene pool.

JT - you forget where you are...in the back ground nothing changes and never will.

No man is an island - but this whole country is.

They never ever ever ever do what they are told. And never by a foreigner.

never ever...

here was a brilliant idea ....and the locals did exaclty as I would suspect.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/914745-brand-new-chatuchak-bike-lane-becomes-street-food-hub-parking-lot/

So tunnels in Pattaya, if they don't flood all the time would be blocked by hand carts, beggers, and row upon row of blokes in frocks....

Undergrounds are normally in large cities. Pattaya is a small city, so streetcars or trams is the way to go. Many smaller cities use bendy-buses, which can carry a lot of people.

Wasn't there a trial of bendy buses in Bangkok a few years back? Dismal failure by all accounts. They were more off the road than on as the bendy bits were very high maintenance. This was due to their being used way beyond the manufacturers reasonable expectations since dodging, weaving and shooting the gap is the primary passing maneuver on Thai roads.

I reckon they should build a network of tram lines, get those old green Melbourne trains running on them and have go-go dancers as drivers and conductors. It would be an international icon before you knew it.

Or better still 'Mister Me' put the whole of Pattaya underground...problem solved.

I reckon they should build a network of tram lines, get those old green Melbourne trains running on them and have go-go dancers as drivers and conductors. It would be an international icon before you knew it.

Or better still 'Mister Me' put the whole of Pattaya underground...problem solved.

Thats a bit harsh.

Jack needs to go out to play sometimes, or jack becomes a dull boy.

what would we all do with out Pattaya. intheclub.gif

Edited by onemorechang