Phuket to unveil B2.4m roundabout

webfact

Phuket to unveil B2.4m roundabout
The Phuket News

1462414943_1-org.jpg
The new roundabout at the junction Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: -- Officials on Friday (May 6) will unveil a roundabout at the junction of Surin and Narisorn roads in Phuket Town that cost B2.4 million baht to build.

The decision to install a circle at the intersection stemmed from motorists ignoring red traffic lights, causing many accidents at the site, explained Phuket Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee.

“According to an annual report from auto insurance companies, last year alone saw five motorists die and 36 motorists injured in road accidents at this intersection,” he said.

“After several meetings and much discussion, officials decided that the best way to reduce accidents there was to build a circle.

“Motorists will be forced to slow down as they enter the circle and vehicles will move through the circle cautiously and continually, which will reduce traffic congestion in the process,” he added.

The B2.4 million to build the roundabout was provided by the Safer Roads Foundation, based in England.

Safer Roads Foundation president Michael C Woodford presented a model plan for Surin-Narisorn circle project to Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada on December 9.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-to-unveil-b2-4m-roundabout-57290.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-05

The decision to install a circle at the intersection stemmed from motorists ignoring red traffic lights, causing many accidents at the site, explained Phuket Vice Governor Khajornkiet Rakpanichmanee.

Seems to me they could have saved 2.4 million baht (and even made some money) by simply stationing police at the roundabout and issuing fines for those who ignore the red traffic lights. It's called law enforcement. After a few days or weeks of fines at 500 baht a pop, word gets out and people begin to obey the traffic lights. A win-win since it's nice little earner for the police too.

Seems to me they could have saved 2.4 million baht (and even made some money) by simply stationing police at the roundabout and issuing fines for those who ignore the red traffic lights. It's called law enforcement. After a few days or weeks of fines at 500 baht a pop, word gets out and people begin to obey the traffic lights. A win-win since it's nice little earner for the police too.

Far too sensible ... and don't forget a large slice of the 2.4 million baht will end up in a officials's pocket.

If the way they use the roundabout at Jomtien is any indication, use the new one at Phuket at your own peril.

Thais don't do roundabouts.

I'm sure it will all go swimmingly. coffee1.gif

Motorists will be forced to slow down as they enter the circle and vehicles will move through the circle cautiously and continually.. yep right

wonder if any 'officials' ever look how other round-a-bouts work here. ? most would rather run into the car in front than go cautiously or let another car get in front..

Edit: though of something funny, went to Swindon UK a few years back there the had 7 round-a-bouts in one.... just maybe that would be the answer ? they [all Thai road users] would be so confused they would maybe drive cautiously

Edited by ignis

Why should the uk fund this,what has Thailand ever funded in the uk.the only funding I've ever seen was a dodgy ex pm on the run from Thailand use so called dirty money to buy man city and make more money.bloody do gooders don't know how many brown envelopes that £50,000 will fill.last time I heard of international funding was after the tsunami and the rebuild some beach units in Phuket that ended up in the hands of Mafia.lets not forget that charity begins at home but the uk have seemed to forgotten this.i say leave the lights in and let the natural selection do its thing.in my city in the uk the council has covered the roads in speed bumps especially in the Asian areas as to create safety zones.now all the kids can run out into the roads without looking.so much for the green cross code.

What do they mean "will unveil"? It has been unveiled for a while. They must mean there will be some form of ceremony. Poor reporting again.

How long before it's closed off like Heroine's because they can't use it properly?

Why they need an official opening of a structure that's been in use for quite some time I don't know. Anything for a photo opportunity. It's not even that busy an intersection so I don't think we'll see the problems that arise at Chalong Circle or the need to close exits as at Heroines' Monument.

Absolute bargain at 2.4m baht. Surely the thinnest brown envelopes in living memory. Should have built an underpass.

“Motorists will be forced to slow down as they enter the circle and vehicles will move through the circle cautiously and continually, which will reduce traffic congestion in the process,” he added.

And they actually believe this?

​Where is the aggressive road safety campaign on prime time TV to instruct the masses on the correct use of a 'roundabout' or 'traffic circle'?

I look forward to continual daily reports of accidents at this spot; there will be no reduction.

...last year alone saw five motorists die and 36 motorists injured in road accidents at this intersection...

So, the test will be whether that death/injury toll is reduced over the next 12 months.

My guess is that it will be reduced (hope so), but there may be an increase in minor "nudges" until people get used to it.

The reason why roundabouts dont work in Thailand is that they give way to the left. So the roundabouts get full of cars which blocks everything. If Thailand is serious about traffic and road saftey they should go to another country that has an acceptable road toll and copy what they do. I know that they would loose face by doing so but its time to grow up and fix things properly. Lets face it the Thai way does not work.

The reason why roundabouts dont work in Thailand is that they give way to the left.

I don't. Almost had a few prangs because of it, but once I'm on the roundabout, I apply the correct rules and keep driving coffee1.gif

Ah, law enforcement DrDave..........Thais haven't learnt that's something the BIB are supposed to do!

And teaching drivers how to use traffic lights, roundabouts and deal with pedestrian crossings is far too difficult, so let "Thainess" have its way.

The reason why Thais do not know how to use a roundabout is that despite one having been constructed in their little test center, no one has been failed for not stopping or indicating. I truly believe this is because the idiots who conduct the 'test' have NO clue as to what it is, why it is there, nor how to bloody navigate it. Team this up with the endemic 'me first' mentality and nothing's going to change anytime soon, if at all.

There are, quite literally, no bounds to this country's absurdity. And it will never change with whichever congenital idiot is next up to run the show. Clowns the lot of them.

BTW This 'sculpture' is beyond fugly and not at all in keeping with the town's architecture, but hey! paint over a bit of street art a la Penang why don't you. Philistines.

Edited by dageurreotype