New bank cards to help protect Thai customers from 'skimming'

webfact

ca.jpg
Image: Tnamcot

BANGKOK:— Banks have said that ATM cards with chips as well as strips will protect customers from the crime of skimming.

Skimming is when data held in the strip is lifted from the card enabling thieves to use their own cards to withdraw money from accounts, reports Tnamcot.

The National Computer Crime Protection office said that the problem of skimming had caused losses of 128 million baht in the country in 2013 alone. Banks have spent around 1.5 billion baht on the problem.

Cards with chips on the front as well as strips on the back are being introduced throughout the country. Banks have advised customers that even though cards will continue to have strips on the back the data cannot be read by skimmers if there is also a chip.

Banks said that teething problems experienced by some customers with the new cards in not being able to use the cards at ATMs other than their own bank have now been addressed.

Cards issued from hereon are expected to contain the chip.

Source: Tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-05

Interesting read:

They are so called EMV Cards read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

And it's not as safe they might think

This means that even though you might be carrying new cards with EMV chips, they’re just as susceptible to fraud at the pump or an ATM as they were before. In fact, they may be more vulnerable now that identity thieves are targeting those terminals more.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/emv-credit-cards-protect-atms-gas-pumps/

The National Computer Crime Protection office said that the problem of skimming had caused losses of 128 million baht in the country in 2013 alone. Banks have spent around 1.5 billion baht on the problem.

Source: Tnamcot

tvn.png

-- 2016-05-05

Interesting. I expected a lot more. I thought Thailand is a paradise for skimmers worldwide. Come here on holiday for 3 weeks and come back home with big cash....

Banks said that teething problems experienced by some customers with the new cards in not being able to use the cards at ATMs other than their own bank have now been addressed.

Have any Bangkok Bank Be1st Smart Card (chipped) debit card users been able to use their card in another Thai ATM successfully other than Bangkok Bank ATMs? Above says it has now been addressed....but I expect "addressed" just means we'll eventually get there.

I do not see how its possible for the magnetic strip to be protected from being skimmed just because there is a chip on the card.

Only reason to keep the magnetic strip is compatability with old ATM machines ?

Backwards compatible so skimable as before.

I do not see how its possible for the magnetic strip to be protected from being skimmed just because there is a chip on the card.

Only reason to keep the magnetic strip is compatability with old ATM machines ?

Backwards compatible so skimable as before.

The magnetic strip can still be skimmed, but if the card-issuing bank has coded the card/setup up their system to only use the chip portion for cash withdrawals then skimming the magnetic strip would not help in getting cash from an ATM. But the skimmed magnetic strip could probably still be used to make "purchases."

Now days the only reason cards come with the chip "and" magnetic strip on the card is for compatibility with old and new ATM/POS devices, but like how Bangkok Bank has done with their chipped debit card they have coded the chip card/their system to only use the chip portion of the card for cash withdrawals. So, unless an ATM is EMV-capable (i.e., the standard for chipped cards & device such as ATMs and POS machines) a person can't get cash.

Magnetic strip not used then.

Okay that makes sense.

Last year I was at a Dutch bank and asked the staff about the magnetic strip and chip.

He told me all shops use the chip only. And the banks only use the magnetic strip !

Seemed really cheap of the banks to save on new ATM this way. Thats why skimming is still a problem in Holland.

Here's a story that will this article laughable.... I hold a very prestigious card from one of the big banks

that every online transaction you do will have to be verified by an OTC email to me ( one time code )

where I enter it to conclude the transaction,

few days ago I get an sms thanking me for using my card to purchase something for 5,000 baht

which I didn't, upon inquiring with the bank I'm told that someone from China has used my card,

I did remember getting an email from the few days earlier in the morning with an OTC message

in it which I disregard because I didn't buy anything, sure enough, few days later, I get this thank

you message, so now they had to replace my card at a great inconvenience to me....

Okay that makes sense.

Last year I was at a Dutch bank and asked the staff about the magnetic strip and chip.

He told me all shops use the chip only. And the banks only use the magnetic strip !

Seemed really cheap of the banks to save on new ATM this way. Thats why skimming is still a problem in Holland.

Many banks/merchants/countries have been slow to converting to chipped cards due to the cost of new/updated ATMs, POS machines, reissue of cards, etc....plus them feeling the current level of fraudulent transactions from skimming was acceptable. It's not cheap to convert to chipped cards. Although there will be savings from improved security/reduce fraud over the long term it will take it will take years for those savings to offset the total cost of switching to chipped cards---and as mentioned the cost involves much more than just issuing new cards.

Edited by Pib

Okay that makes sense.

Many banks/merchants/countries have been slow to converting to chipped cards due to the cost of new/updated ATMs, POS machines, reissue of cards, etc....plus them feeling the current level of fraudulent transactions from skimming was acceptable. It's not cheap to convert to chipped cards. Although there will be savings from improved security/reduce fraud over the long term it will take it will take years for those savings to offset the total cost of switching to chipped cards---and as mentioned the cost involves much more than just issuing new cards.

It is not only the cards, as you say. Many Thai ATMs are antiquated. Contemporary technology and ATM design provide many further security measures than most Thai ATMs have. Krung Thai ATMs appear the most sophisticated

Have any Bangkok Bank Be1st Smart Card (chipped) debit card users been able to use their card in another Thai ATM successfully other than Bangkok Bank ATMs? Above says it has now been addressed....but I expect "addressed" just means we'll eventually get there.

had no problems with mine, used it in a few different banks machines

Okay that makes sense.

It is not only the cards, as you say. Many Thai ATMs are antiquated. Contemporary technology and ATM design provide many further security measures than most Thai ATMs have. Krung Thai ATMs appear the most sophisticated

Not only Thai ATM's are old most I have seen in holland must be at least 20 years old without any anti skimming protection like the green colored plastic like on Thai ATM's.

Cost factor I understand.

Even more if you see how hard banks are being to customers who got skimmed and want a bank refund.

had no problems with mine, used it in a few different banks machines

Can you identify by name some of the other "Thai bank" ATMs you have used you Bangkok Bank Be1st "chipped" card in? Or are you talking use in foriegn ATMs. Thanks.

Don't think I can link to an article in Bangkok Post today? Header Chip bank cards the rule in 2019

They also had an earlier article 18th April about intro of all new cards being chip and pin from May 16th with some VP at SCB saying 87% of their ATMs now accept chip and pin cards........

My daughter says she can use any ATM but my card only works with a Bangkok Bank ATM. The same bank people have given me 3 different stories over the past few months when I asked about this.

This new (to Thailand) technology is, contrary to the headline, to protect the banks, not their customers, from skimming. Still anything that protects my money (the banks seem to think it's their money) is welcome. Used them for years in the UK without problem.

Chip and pin cards have been in use since the mid/late 80s in France. The UK was predictably, excruciatingly slow to introduce them but I think they are pretty much universal there now too. The banks in the UK refused to implement all the security protocols that are used most everywhere else in Europe on the grounds of expense, but any chip and pin card is better than any magnetic stripe card.

One of the major issues used to be that the magnetic strip could be read and a card cloned even though it had chip and pin. The cloned card could then be used to in countries where chip and pin facilities did not exist and, if the skimmer had also obtained the pin number by one means of another, the card could be used to draw money from ATMs in countries like the US, India etc where chip and pin is still not supported. It was rumoured, at one time, that if you used a credit card in Hong Kong, at least one clone would be circulating within 24 hours, guaranteed!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,skimming had caused losses of 128 million baht in the country in 2013 alone.

I find it difficult to believe that only 128m ThB was stolen, surely much more than this?

Likely they are only accounting for the fraud from cash pulled via ATMs with skimmed cards, and not that of purchases and online transactions.

Interesting read:

They are so called EMV Cards read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

And it's not as safe they might think

This means that even though you might be carrying new cards with EMV chips, they’re just as susceptible to fraud at the pump or an ATM as they were before. In fact, they may be more vulnerable now that identity thieves are targeting those terminals more.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/emv-credit-cards-protect-atms-gas-pumps/

Get the idea, thank you.

Always wondered what all them card processing machines were doing at the checkout counters. Now I understand they are for the myriad of different cards in circulation, many of them antiquated like 20+ years old systems. I recently got my new card which looks like is a chip stripe card I also notice at the checkout stand after making a purchases that this card seems to go into what I call a universal card processing machine. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm NOT a card aficionado only use the credit card to pay for my purchases. No newbie regarding cads I got the first AmEx Charge Card - that was before Credit Card had come on the scene - when they came out in 1957. As the name implies; "Charge Card" when the bill came you paid in FULL I still do this today 69-years later, "Pay in Full". Old habits die hard. I think it is the best way, you bought the stuff and had the use of it, so pay for it.

Here's a story that will this article laughable.... I hold a very prestigious card from one of the big banks

that every online transaction you do will have to be verified by an OTC email to me ( one time code )

where I enter it to conclude the transaction,

few days ago I get an sms thanking me for using my card to purchase something for 5,000 baht

which I didn't, upon inquiring with the bank I'm told that someone from China has used my card,

I did remember getting an email from the few days earlier in the morning with an OTC message

in it which I disregard because I didn't buy anything, sure enough, few days later, I get this thank

you message, so now they had to replace my card at a great inconvenience to me....

Since the OTC code is sent to your phone, how could the scammers in China get hold of that code?

rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif i recieved a new Bangkok Be1st card with the chip in it on 5 May.

The only difference I have noticed so far is on entering my card in the ATM it takes about 10 to 30 seconds to be recognized before it alows me to enter my new PIN number and start the tranasaction now.

Previously the card was inserted into the ATM. and immeadiately you were asked to enter your PIN number.

Now with the new card the software on the ATM shows the line VERIFYING CARD IDENTITY.....for between 10 and 30 seconds....then says Card verified and asks for your PIN to start the tranaction.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Crooks can read a chipped card while it's in your pocket. The only way to stop this is wrap the card in foil.

Aren't you supposed to wear the foil on your head?

Edited by HerbalEd