Home internet: True or AIS?

Esterhazy

16 hours ago, dubyadee said:

Anyone know the total cost of AIS PlayBox platinum package (HBO) + 100MBPS fiber?  Cheers

The AIS playbox platinum package (HBO) is at 899 per month (599 promotion now). The 100mbps fibre internet is currently at 1099. if you're a AIS customer, you can get the 100mbps at 999 and 899 if you are an AIS serenade customer. 

• 5 months later...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/28/2017 at 9:34 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Also if you "migrate" from True, they will give you a 50% discount for the first 6 months.

Is this 50% discount for 6 months from  changing from True still around? Don't see any mention on the AIS site.

I see on their site a 10% discount for AIS customers. Does this apply to postpaid mobile phone topup customers?

AIS fibre - does it work in all condos in downtown Asoke area? I had a Thai person say some buildings you can't change companies because of this. Do we have to pay for an installation fee? Their small print says:

1. The customer get discount for installation fee with outdoor wiring installation amount of 4,800 Baht when agree to use AIS Fibre service continuously at least 12 bill cycles since the date of the installation. In case that the customer cancels the service within 12 bill cycles from the date of installation, the company reserves the right to collect the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation at the rate based on prorate basic of remaining bills under such period after deduct from paid bills.
  2. If the customer choose to pay for the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation in amount of 4,800 Baht since the first bill cycle will not determine the period of AIS Fibre service.
  3. All AIS Fibre equipment are belonging to AWN. In case customer cancels the service, customer must return all AIS Fibre equipment to the company.
  4. New AIS Fibre subscriber has permission to borrow Dual Band Wi-Fi Router value 2,500 Baht that support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency increase efficiency improvements
  5. Special AIS Fibre entry fee only 650 Baht from normal price 2,000 Baht

On 10/8/2017 at 2:22 PM, bbi1 said:

Is this 50% discount for 6 months from  changing from True still around? Don't see any mention on the AIS site.

I see on their site a 10% discount for AIS customers. Does this apply to postpaid mobile phone topup customers?

AIS fibre - does it work in all condos in downtown Asoke area? I had a Thai person say some buildings you can't change companies because of this. Do we have to pay for an installation fee? Their small print says:

1. The customer get discount for installation fee with outdoor wiring installation amount of 4,800 Baht when agree to use AIS Fibre service continuously at least 12 bill cycles since the date of the installation. In case that the customer cancels the service within 12 bill cycles from the date of installation, the company reserves the right to collect the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation at the rate based on prorate basic of remaining bills under such period after deduct from paid bills.
  2. If the customer choose to pay for the installation fee with outdoor wiring installation in amount of 4,800 Baht since the first bill cycle will not determine the period of AIS Fibre service.
  3. All AIS Fibre equipment are belonging to AWN. In case customer cancels the service, customer must return all AIS Fibre equipment to the company.
  4. New AIS Fibre subscriber has permission to borrow Dual Band Wi-Fi Router value 2,500 Baht that support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency increase efficiency improvements
  5. Special AIS Fibre entry fee only 650 Baht from normal price 2,000 Baht

Regarding the 50% discount, you would have to call AIS to check. Sometimes they have removed it on their website only to offer it when you ask for it through the phone. 

As for the monthly discount, there is 2 tier. One for normal AIS customer the other for AIS Serenade customer. Both of which must be postpaid not pre-paid. 

You would also have to call and check with AIS to see if your Condo has provisioned for AIS to enter the building. Typically condo management tends to allow everyone to provide services to their condos but this varies especially with older condos or condos where the management has received incentives from certain company to only provide their internet services in the condo. 

AIS is a new player in the space, as such, their tubes are not as congested as say True or 3bb. I used AIS in my condo and the speed was great even during peak hours. 

Had my house juristic person office allowed AIS to come and install their lines, I would have picked them over True. 

You do not need to pay installation fee. You are however, bound by a 12 months contract. Cancelling before said date would mean that you would have to pay the installation fee back to them. Plus return all the equipment that they "loaned" you.  

On 5/6/2016 at 10:34 AM, impulse said:

Ask your new neighbors. They'll have better information about service in your location.

I have True ADSL and it sucks. Goes down for hours, sometimes days at a time. Call them up, go through the menu, "press X for English" and get another Thai message. Have one of our Thai people call them, and it's go home and have an argument with the guy they send, who says my brand new router is "obsolete", need a new one.

Slows to a crawl whenever it rains, leading me to suspect crappy wiring down my sub-soi around Asoke. (Or everyone gets on the Interweb when the weather sucks)

But some of my workmates have True and it works great in their locations around BKK. And if you don't have problems with the signal, the field service frustrations don't really factor in.

I have had exactly the same experience with 3BB in Pattaya, dark side Soi Siam Country Club , Soi 27. Now with so much rain my link to the Dslam goes up and down for the last few days. Fustrating... So assuming it is an outside line problem, most likely a punchdown block getting wet somewhere..again "assuming" another provider would use the same lines my problem would be the same.. so it really depends on the quality of your line back to the DSLAM (service providers equipment). As based on the previous posts this is obvious. So for those of you on bad connections like mine the best solution would be a fiber connection if available.. 

3 hours ago, montereyjp said:
On 5/6/2016 at 11:34 AM, impulse said:

Ask your new neighbors. They'll have better information about service in your location.

I have True ADSL and it sucks. Goes down for hours, sometimes days at a time. Call them up, go through the menu, "press X for English" and get another Thai message. Have one of our Thai people call them, and it's go home and have an argument with the guy they send, who says my brand new router is "obsolete", need a new one.

Slows to a crawl whenever it rains, leading me to suspect crappy wiring down my sub-soi around Asoke. (Or everyone gets on the Interweb when the weather sucks)

But some of my workmates have True and it works great in their locations around BKK. And if you don't have problems with the signal, the field service frustrations don't really factor in.

I have had exactly the same experience with 3BB in Pattaya, dark side Soi Siam Country Club , Soi 27. Now with so much rain my link to the Dslam goes up and down for the last few days. Fustrating... So assuming it is an outside line problem, most likely a punchdown block getting wet somewhere..again "assuming" another provider would use the same lines my problem would be the same.. so it really depends on the quality of your line back to the DSLAM (service providers equipment). As based on the previous posts this is obvious. So for those of you on bad connections like mine the best solution would be a fiber connection if available.. 

Upgraded soon after my rant to their fiber optic service (True), and aside from the marginally bigger invoice every month, it's been working a treat.

Now I have to go find some wood to knock on...

• 2 weeks later...

We live on the dark side, Pattaya. I upgraded to the 3BB FOC service several months ago. Speed has been up n down depending on time of day but never reached anything more than 40 Mp.  System has been down 3 times, the last time  for 5 days before a technician arrived. This time the system has been down for 2 days. Technician came yesterday n said nothing wrong with our modem or line. Problem is with the main line. This is happening too often and a real PITK, especially when we watch TV by cable. Can anybody suggest a better ISP.?

This is the Bangkok forum so you might have better luck in Pattaya as a new topic.  Here in Bangkok have been using True for last decade and never more than a few hours outage - and none after the first two weeks since change to fiber about a year ago.

Are you staying in a Condo or a landed property? 

AIS provides their internet services through fibre optic cable which are much better than DOCSIS. 

AIS currently have their AIS playbox which is essentially an Android Box but will support their newly bought HBO channels soon.. It's also much cheaper... So, I highly recommend you give AIS a try since their internet services has been working great for me so far in my apartment. 

I'm in a condo. I don't believe my building can receive AIS fibre so I'm kinda married to True. Pleased with it, though.

• 3 months later...