Is Chiang Mai Busy Now?

rbrb

I was planning to visit CM soon,namely this month November, but someone told me that this flower festival will go on for months and CM is full including most hotels, plus congested roads.

Anyone who lives there or in the know please post here when does the festival end, and is CM very busy and hotels full etc or what is the true situation?

Many thanks in advance.

I think a lot of the congestion expectations were wishful thinking.. I live very close to the Flower Expo site, and while I do notice a traffic increase (of minivans and big tour buses primarily), I haven't seen anything that approached an actual traffic jam.

And keep in mind this was the first weekend after opening, AND Loy Krathong festival too.

So... I don't think you have to worry much. Perhaps that the december/january high season will be a bit higher than usual, as from a common sense point of view this is the best time to visit the Flower Expo.

So anyway, get a hotel / guesthouse booking and just go.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I was planning to visit CM soon,namely this month November, but someone told me that this flower festival will go on for months and CM is full including most hotels, plus congested roads.

Anyone who lives there or in the know please post here when does the festival end, and is CM very busy and hotels full etc or what is the true situation?

Many thanks in advance.

I have been out today and have never seen quite as much traffic in 15 years. Maybe a bit to do with people coming for Loy Krathong, but that cannot be the only thing.

In another thread people are saying that the majority of hotels and guesthouses are full with people dossing on the floor in temples.

Good luck with your bookings (or try to find a nice lady with an accommodating disposition)

I think a lot of the congestion expectations were wishful thinking.. I live very close to the Flower Expo site, and while I do notice a traffic increase (of minivans and big tour buses primarily), I haven't seen anything that approached an actual traffic jam.

Same here. I drive by the entrance (canal road) everyday to work and seen minimal increase in traffic. Friday I did see more Bangkok plates in town then normal, but probably more Loy Krathong then the Flora expo.

Same here (are we all neighbors?). I ran down the ring road and up the canal road, round trip, and managed to hit over 125 kph several times in light traffic (9 am to 10:30). In other words, the traffic is moderate near the expo, consisting mostly of additional vans and songtaews, not 17,585 more cars and motosais.

I have been out today and have never seen quite as much traffic in 15 years. Maybe a bit to do with people coming for Loy Krathong, but that cannot be the only thing.

Where? I live opposite the car park at Tawan Deng and the traffic is no different - my commute is taking the same time as usual.

> Just back from Chiang Mai, visited flora,

What did you think of it? I haven't decided yet if I should go or not.

With the Night Safari I went once when it was free, which was quite enough.

would like to know people's opinion on the flora exhibition too. wonder whats it like. thinking of going there in december. when its cooler.