Mayor halts water trucks over damaged Phuket road

webfact

Mayor halts water trucks over damaged Phuket road
Darawan Naknakhon

1462936583_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Chalong Mayor Samran Jindaphol has banned private water trucks from using a road to source water from a private lagoon near Wat Chalong as their round-the-clock activities have torn the newly paved road apart.

Mayor Samran gave the order yesterday (May 10) after inspecting Luangporkluem Rd, which joins Luangpor Chaem Rd behind Wat Chalong.

“We have been bombarded with complaints from local residents reporting that trucks serving a water supply business have damaged the road, which was repaved just two months ago,” he said.

Mayor Samran pointed out that 600 metres of road had been damaged by the water trucks.

“Several side streets around this area also show signs of damage by these water trucks,” he said. “The area damaged most is where they pump water out of the reservoir.

“We were told at least two to three trucks wait to fill up at a time and today we saw a few more waiting in line for water. Today, we can see water all over the road and a lot of mud,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/mayor-halts-water-trucks-over-damaged-phuket-road-57374.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-11

Not that I'm condoning the overuse of water trucks but shouldn't this have been taken into account when paving the road, perhaps using stronger materials?

And how do you expect the official that allowed the repairs in the first place to afford his new tiling of his outside wall with pink and baby blue bathroom tiles?

I guess that's why my water truck man could not deliver yesterday. He phoned me to say there was a problem ...

Despite some who claim differently, the drought continues in the south of the island.

I just had my first ever water delivery (apart from filling the pool). The delivery guy gets supplied from a local, private, deep well.

He said things are much worse in Kata-Karon than in Chalong, they are carting water over the hill continually.

However, many wells around our area are also dry. Most of my neighbors are now getting deliveries.

Bring on the rain!

The road should have been built properly in the first place.

Add, why have the local authorities not noticed, weeks ago, that there was a damage problem and made some alternative route arrrangments, made some repairs as best possible to suffice until the rains come and water truck convoys not needed.

You can see example after example of no monitoring by appropriate officials who can see (should be seeing) that problems are developing.

In reality then don't monitor and quickly fix / repair etc. Then suddenly there's a headline about a full problem.

IMHO 90% of government officials, many agencies, should be dismissed and replaced by fully capable and sincere people.

IMHO 90% of government officials, many agencies, should be dismissed and replaced by fully capable and sincere people.

Not that I disagree, but where would you get all these people from?