Ticket or receipt? Cop caught on camera urging driver to pay bribe (VIDEO)

webfact

Ticket or receipt? Cop caught on camera urging driver to pay bribe (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

cop_1.jpg
Facebook user Chutlma Trakurdnac claimed the officer asked her taxi driver for THB100 cash. Photo: Chutlma Trakurdnac

BANGKOK: -- A taxi passenger has alleged that a Bangkok police officer encouraged her driver to pay him a bribe by asking if she wants a "ticket or receipt."

Facebook user Chutlma Trakurdnac posted a video on Facebook of her negotiation with a cop, who she claimed asked her female taxi driver for THB100 ... and he'd issue her a receipt.

The incident happened near Charoen Nakhon soi 78 in Thonburi district.

"Do you want me to give you a ticket? I'll let you choose," the cop said to the taxi driver as he started counting to ten to rush her.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/12/ticket-or-receipt-cop-caught-camera-urging-driver-pay-bribe-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-13

Funny as hell. One down, 100,000 cops to go. whistling.gif

The real problem is he hasnt been sacked as yet. Why, because this is all deemed an acceptable practice, has been and always will be.

An inative post coming. Not for asking for a bribe but for being caught in the act!

Well, at least he was fair and offered her a choice, to err on the side of the law or

take the low road, I was offered that deal several times, and you have to be a

genius to figure out what was the outcome.... this is Thailand, that's how it was,

is, and will be for many years to come.....

The Kingdom just lacks the culture of punishing criminals or crooked cops or officials. It's more or less a birthright to be corrupt. As long as the bad ones are not punished these things will be a normal part of daily life. Therefor the country will not advance as others do.

Pol. Jinnawat Konthongdee, commander of Bukkalo Police, told Thairath he has identified the officer in the video and he will call both the officer and Chutlma in for questioning.

If found guilty, he will be punished.

IFF IFF Yeah, he's gonna be found guilty isn't he.

God bless social media for pissing off this low life dishonest breed of scum. Long may it continue.

Personally, I don't mind paying the 100 Baht, would rather do that than have to go to the station and pay 400 Baht, either way I am paying a fine for doing something wrong (a minor traffic offence), just by the road is cheaper and more convenient.

I will let the 'rule of law' posters rant and rave now :)

Same happened to me and the crew at Chiang Mai , going down to Sizzlers, got pulled over, the youngun was driving , looked over my shoulder ,was in front passenger side , and seen the cop put the 200 Baht in his back pocket, two things resulted from that , always use your seat belts and ask for a receipt, before ya start frank , I harped on and on , all the way from the Amarin about him not wearing a seat belt and you know how they turn off when they don't want to know or I know better , hmmmm..............................................coffee1.gif .

Personally, I don't mind paying the 100 Baht, would rather do that than have to go to the station and pay 400 Baht, either way I am paying a fine for doing something wrong (a minor traffic offence), just by the road is cheaper and more convenient.

I will let the 'rule of law' posters rant and rave now smile.png

No one likes paying fines, but if you break the rules, this is life.

I'd also rather pay 100 Baht, but you have to look at the bigger picture. That 100 Baht just goes to some top cop in the area. He buys a nicer Benz, a bigger house, a tastier mia noi, etc. The money doesn't go back into the system. It doesn't go back into the roads, traffic control, more professionally trained officers, hospitals and schools etc.

Paying a 400 Baht fine that actually goes back into the system is a win-win. You break the rules and you pay 400 Baht that goes towards the greater cause. You don't break the rules because the fear of a proper fine and the roads are a safer place.

Corruption is absolutely a cancer in any society. Anyone saying "well, that's the way they do it" - that's okay. You can just never complain and have to accept it.

I'd also rather pay 100 Baht, but you have to look at the bigger picture. That 100 Baht just goes to some top cop in the area. He buys a nicer Benz, a bigger house, a tastier mia noi, etc. The money doesn't go back into the system. It doesn't go back into the roads, traffic control, more professionally trained officers, hospitals and schools etc.

Paying a 400 Baht fine that actually goes back into the system is a win-win. You break the rules and you pay 400 Baht that goes towards the greater cause. You don't break the rules because the fear of a proper fine and the roads are a safer place.

Corruption is absolutely a cancer in any society. Anyone saying "well, that's the way they do it" - that's okay. You can just never complain and have to accept it.

Your argument sounds the same as `people who have not voted are not eligible to see anything wrong` - a false premise to go about the issue and invalidating valid justifications for bitching when somethin is done awry or plain out wrong towards you.

I understand what you are saying but this is just the tip of the root of the flower of corruption, damage this root and maybe the flower will start to wither

I've paid them many times. 100-200 THB v a trip to the cop shop, for alleged transgressions such as "speeding" (where is the radar gun, officer?), or driving in the right hand lane of a dual carriageway (urrr, that's why there are two lanes..?). No big deal anymore.

The thing that pisses me off is that these lazy BiB gits will sit under a shady tree to pull people over for backsheesh and mickey-mouse infractions, whilst 50m down the road, lunatics are blazing through red lights at busy intersections with no intervention whatsoever..

Not to let any actual police-work get in the way of their main purpose obviously. clap2.gif

I understand what you are saying but this is just the tip of the root of the flower of corruption, damage this root and maybe the flower will start to wither
Don't you understand that most people, including me, don't want the flower to wither.

You may be right, but in reallity I would sooner pay less than more. What the poorly paid officer does with my 100 baht is of no concern to me. Just as paying a 400 baht speeding fine here is better (to me) than paying a 100 euro fine last time I was in France, I'm funny like that.

After 25 years in South East Asia I have learnt 1 essential thin about its systems: police is under paid and doesnt benefit from risk premiums nor any kind of government relief fund in case of a professional death or accident. They pay their own bullets and sometimes even their uniform, moto and fuel. Petty corruption is how they survive and without it there would be no cop. There are of course a few disadventages to this system but mainly it makes the culprits contribute more to police income then safe drivers. Personally, when I am caught burning a red light or without helmet, i largely prefer to contribute 200 baht to the police force rather than pay a hefty fine and lose points on my license. Of course there are exceptions and abuses with this system, but if we think that police is clean in Europe we are so candid. Euro cops are less prone to take bribes, but the brass is all the more corrupt, we common mortals just dont see it in the street. Long live police street corruption!

Don't you understand that most people, including me, don't want the flower to wither.

And that's the real problem.

for cops to be sentence, the driver needs to appear in court...most don't want to do so in fear of repercussion by the police.... hence even with video evidence, most cops are not sentence and return to duty... this is the flawed Thai law

I will let the 'rule of law' posters rant and rave now :)

What if you haven't done anything wrong?

The taxi driver and the traffic cop clip - all above board, say police

up.jpg
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok police have moved quickly to deny social media claims they were caught on tape taking a traffic bribe.

The Bukkhalo station said that it was a misunderstanding and now they want to talk to the person who shared the clip as it presented them in a bad and erroneous light reported Daily News.

The case revolves around a passenger in a taxi who gets involved in a conversation with the female driver and a police officer regarding a fine. The passenger starts an argument when she believes that the officer involved is negotiating a bribe.

The clip was shared on Facebook and though it has since been removed police are concerned that it misrepresented what happened that was all above board and according to the law.

The driver Sasithorn Sithongchai,37, went to Bukkhalo police to clear up the matter yesterday. She said that on Wednesday she had picked up a female passenger taking her from the Charoenkorn Soi 78 area to Central Rama 3. When they reached near the end of soi 70 they were stopped by a policeman called Suthathon Sukkasem who pointed out that she had a red plate and could not pick up passengers and asked to see her license.

Sasithorn said that she did not have her license because it had already been taken in by expressway police last month when a ticket had been issued for other charges relating to her license plate.

The officer said that as there was already another unpaid fine in the pipeline she could pay the current fine at a booth further up the road and show her the receipt and she could then be quickly on her way.

The driver said there was no question of a bribe but that the passenger in the back did not understand and an argument broke out. At one point the officer concerned asked to see what had been recorded on the phone adding to the confusion.

Bukkhalo police want to talk to the person who posted the clip and said they would be prepared to accept an apology. They said that people should think twice before posting material that could be construed as defaming others.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-13

Your argument sounds the same as `people who have not voted are not eligible to see anything wrong` - a false premise to go about the issue and invalidating valid justifications for bitching when somethin is done awry or plain out wrong towards you.

No, not at all. If you don't vote then you can still complain. Your complaint would be more valid if you actually voted though.

As for taking the option that is best for 'me', well, that's great for you. But you're adding to the problem and so can't complain when corruption 'doesn't' benefit you.

A better and more fitting premise would be "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem".

You may be right, but in reallity I would sooner pay less than more. What the poorly paid officer does with my 100 baht is of no concern to me. Just as paying a 400 baht speeding fine here is better (to me) than paying a 100 euro fine last time I was in France, I'm funny like that.

Yes, we are all funny like that sometimes . It's called 'selfishness'.

This is why we have law and order. You'll find most people are selfish and have to be forced into doing things they don't like.

People can be very selfish. We have rules to deter this and punish it. A 'real society' is funny like that.

..............The Bukkhalo station said that it was a misunderstanding and now they want to talk to the person who shared the clip ..............

I'm sure they do. Oooops, she fell down the metal stairs, sarge!!