Foreign man, 70, dies after multi-story plunge at Phuket Town hotel

webfact

Foreign man, 70, dies after multi-story plunge at Phuket Town hotel
Eakkapop Thongtub

1463117833_1-org.jpg
The foreign man is believed to have fallen to his death from the fifth floor, where he was staying. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police are investigating the death of a 70-year-old foreign man who is believed to have fallen from a fifth-floor balcony at a hotel in Phuket Town this morning (May 12).

Staff at the Manohra Hotel on Komaraphat Rd notified police of the death at 10:30am.

Hotel staff told police that the 70-year-old man* was staying with his Thai partner on the fifth floor of the hotel, said Capt Udom Petchrat of the Phuket City Police

“There is an injury on the back of his neck, but no other signs of assault on the body or of a struggle at the scene,” Capt Udom said

“We checked the fire escape on the fourth floor, which we think the man fell from, but found nothing suspicious. The man’s body was taken to Vachira Hospital for doctors to confirm the cause of death,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/foreign-man-70-dies-after-multi-story-plunge-at-phuket-town-hotel-57404.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-13

Not the first reported flyer from this hotel. Seems to be a regular occurrence there. Asian was the last one. Why jump at 70, his time card was gonna be punched soon enough...never know about this stuff eh?

Hit someone on the head and throw the body off the balcony to cover up the crime. I think many of these so called accidents or self flyers really are a bit more sinister than the police care to admit.

wouldn't you expect a head injury if you jumped off a high building?

Good Lord, another person falls from a hotel. This happens so frequently in Thailand yet there appears to be no interest by anyone to actually check into circumstances and determine if these are actually suicides; murder; or accidents. I do know the railings in these buildings on the balcony are lower than you see in the West making it possible to lose ones balance and fall by accident. It is also possible to strike someone while they are on the balcony and 'assist' their plunge. The problem is we never seem to get a report as to what the police investigation found. I wonder if the Embassies are doing their due diligence on this phenomena. I also wonder how many people in other cities around the World 'fall' from their hotels, apartments, or condo?

Good Lord, another person falls from a hotel. This happens so frequently in Thailand yet there appears to be no interest by anyone to actually check into circumstances and determine if these are actually suicides; murder; or accidents. I do know the railings in these buildings on the balcony are lower than you see in the West making it possible to lose ones balance and fall by accident. It is also possible to strike someone while they are on the balcony and 'assist' their plunge. The problem is we never seem to get a report as to what the police investigation found. I wonder if the Embassies are doing their due diligence on this phenomena. I also wonder how many people in other cities around the World 'fall' from their hotels, apartments, or condo?

I'm quite sure these are not suicides. As we know from several years ago, all suicides in Bangkok, at least, are people whose hands are tied behind their backs, their heads covered with plastic bags, and a rope tied tightly around their neck. /s

The guy was running out of the way of his partner who was chasing him with whatever object HE had in his hand.

Well,he should have oaid the guy oops and got it over with.Once more,guys stay on garden level ..want see how the next report would be....??

I expect the American Embassy is overloaded and just too busy to deal with this nonsense of due diligence.

Not the first reported flyer from this hotel. Seems to be a regular occurrence there. Asian was the last one. Why jump at 70, his time card was gonna be punched soon enough...never know about this stuff eh?

perhaps he did not want to live until he was incapable to jump.

Foreigners do not seem to do this in Cambodia.

Thailand in general, and Bangkok in specific, are where for many, hope goes to die. This applies to Thai and farang alike. There is a level of darkness here, seemingly impossible to quantify, that is largely perceptible at a visceral level, and is unique to this place and culture. If you are here, without "artificial" means of support, meaning offshore financial/emotional sustenance, you will at some point, find yourself dealing with the same base realities that face natives each and ever day here. But without benefit of cultural context. There will be breakdowns in these circumstances, and they will either remake the outsider, or eviscerate them. High rise buildings are where most people pass through this process. Therefore my contention would be that these, for the most part, are legitimate suicides. Here's the aspect I find particularly sobering. Most suicides aren't jumpers. Here, or anywhere. What this means is the numbers of actual suicides in LOS is significantly higher than any of us realizes. And it is like to get much worse as societies across the globe continue to unhinge, but Thailand, which at best exists at a subsistence level, unhinges much more quickly, and with increasing unpredictably, resulting in profound acts of desperation of all stripes becoming more and more prevalent. If you happen to be motivated by bizarre sh*t and can survive without warm fuzzy moments, your time has come, my friend. If not, Cambo might not be a bad option.

Out of all the people who have fell of of balconies and I am counting this year So far 16 have taken a flyer. You would think that some are murder and some are accident but there is nothing from the police since the vast majority are all foreigners

The post by Songlaw points out the difficulties in adjusting to life in Thailand and Bangkok in particular. If one is without a support network here or abroad; low on funds; and suffering from a mild depression, everything becomes magnified and the person loses all perspective on life. Thailand is not going to change to accommodate people. You either accept what life has brought you and make adjustments or you leave. I have met many lost 'souls' in my travels around Thailand. Too bad there is no 'lifeline' in the Kingdom that a troubled person can connect with.

A new Phuket News report states ...

Mr Rymer's wife of seven years, Thayanee Larbbok, a native of Udonthani Province, said her husband was suffering from depression and that he had made several suicide attempts in the past. She said he visited Bangkok Hospital Phuket seeking treatment for his condition on May 11," said Capt Udom.

The couple had checked in at the hotel the night before and were staying on the fifth floor. Ms Thayanee said she was outside, calling for a taxi to Rawai, when she heard hotel staff say someone had jumped off the building. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Body-suicidal-Brit-found-outside-Phuket-Town/63871#.dpuf

“There is an injury on the back of his neck, but no other signs of assault on the body or of a struggle at the scene”

As always.

Do you think that anyone can fall 5 floors and not be marked?

At 70 years old it is so easy to fall (I am 72) and if you are in the wrong place where perhaps the balcony is lower than it ought to be you can fall 5 floors easily.

If you are on your own when you fall there will be no signs of a struggle or an assault and the injury on the back of his neck was possibly caused by a fall.

Still don't let little details like that spoil your conspiracy theory.

The guy was running out of the way of his partner who was chasing him with whatever object HE had in his hand.

Well,he should have oaid the guy oops and got it over with.Once more,guys stay on garden level ..want see how the next report would be....??

Wow. An eyewitness who was actually at the scene and knows all the graphic details.

Did you take a video too?

This always assumes that you are telling the truth and not making up stories as many posters seem to do just to fit what happened to their own theories.

Hit someone on the head and throw the body off the balcony to cover up the crime. I think many of these so called accidents or self flyers really are a bit more sinister than the police care to admit.

wouldn't you expect a head injury if you jumped off a high building?
it really depends on the fall. If he lands face down and has a hit on the back of his neck then I think it is a little strange. Nothing should be dismissed before an investigation is done.