In the Event of a Traffic Accident. Procedure

Steps

Hi,

I had a hell journey from the east of Thailand to Bangkok which should have took me a maximum of 7 hours and ended up taking more like 12. As i was turning into the soi where my hotel was, off Sukhumvit road, the soi was grid locked with cars trying to pull out and cars trying to get in (me being one of them at about 11:30 at night). I could see this Fortuner trying to squeeze through and i just knew if he went any further he would catch my back panel so i was beeping and gesturing with the window down to not move any further. The bloody idiot tried to squeeze through and caught the back panel, pulling his back bumper off. He accelerated the 4 meters or so to the junction, going nowhere to join the rest of the traffic. I decided to continue up the soi to my hotel where i checked the damage, which was a small indent and scratch. His back bumper had caught my back bumper which is solid protruding metal (deserves him right). This is the only accident of such that i have had in Thailand Buddha Bless!

Looking back at my accident, a part of me was angry with myself for letting this go as i assure you that would not have been the case in the UK. Yes the language barrier is a problem (but the missus was with me) but i think more importantly it is not knowing the procedure in the event of a car accident and what to expect. I am fully insured and i have no doubt i call the number given to me by the insurance company. I have read and heard stories of people being blamed for accidents that where not their fault and this is a concern.

So what is the procedure with regards to insurance and the police in the event of a car accident, be it any accident or event that requires either/or.

This post is with the intention to prepare a foreign driver (including myself) in Thailand, in the event of a car accident.

Thank you

Can't help you with driving accidents, but if you're ever a passenger in a taxi that gets into any sort of accident, recommended procedure is to quickly toss whatever the fare is at that point, plus a generous tip, at the driver, and get the hell out of there, putting as much distance between you and the taxi as you can in as short a time as you can. Other cars involved in the accident, once they see a farang is the passenger, will go out of their way to try to shake you down for damages. Thai logic? "If the farang had never come to Thailand and taken the cab, the accident wouldn't have happened."

Can't help you with driving accidents, but if you're ever a passenger in a taxi that gets into any sort of accident, recommended procedure is to quickly toss whatever the fare is at that point, plus a generous tip, at the driver, and get the hell out of there, putting as much distance between you and the taxi as you can in as short a time as you can. Other cars involved in the accident, once they see a farang is the passenger, will go out of their way to try to shake you down for damages. Thai logic? "If the farang had never come to Thailand and taken the cab, the accident wouldn't have happened."

I supose if you or nobody else is hurt then whats the point in sticking around!! But what your saying is a joke right? or pessimism? because your not speaking from first hand experience are you?

The one and only thing you need to do is call your insurance agent and they will send someone out, usually on a motorcycle, to evaluate the accident. The other party will call their agent and when both are on the scene let them work out the details. Obviously if it's a very serious accident with injuries or death then the police will get involved and that adds another layer of hassles but still get your insurance agent on the scene. Don't believe it when people tell you that the farang is always wrong. I have had a couple accidents over the years and was compensated by the insurance for both.

Edited by Spaniel

In the OP's case would the insurance assessor come out at 11.30 pm and what could he do when the Fortuner has driven off and the OP has moved his car. I presume you are not supposed to move your car after an accident but that's not easy if you are caught in tight traffic.

1) Have a Forward and Rear Facing Dash-Cam

2) 1st Class Insurance - Know the number you need to call.

Following an accident:

1) Stay in the car (if possible) and Call your Insurance straight away.

2) Don't move your car until the BiB have come and told you to do so (If the accident is serious).

3) Take lots of photos (especially if you are the innocent party)

4) Call someone else who speaks Thai to help out (if your Thai is not sufficient)

5) Don't loose your cool

6) Depending on where and how serious the accident is the Police will turn up and will try and take the path of least resistance to proportion blame. IF you are sure you are not at fault, you are being perfectly reasonable by not accepting blame.

In this example I'm not sure if the 'other car' also drove off. A cam would have captured the event.

As this was a minor scratch - its not a big deal for the Op so I think he handled it fairly.

However, IF the Op wanted to pursue this, its now too late. He should have taken the car details (Photo) and called his insurance.

IF the other car wanted to drive off, thats ok... the Insurance & Police can deal with the issue.

In my one and only experience of being in an accident about four years ago I was deeply unimpressed by the insurance agent, the insurance company and the entire manner in which the claim was conducted. It seemed as if they decided the accident would become a bit of a bonanza for all. I knocked a motor cyclist off her bike doing an illegal u-turn so I didn't really have a leg to stand on. However the damage to the bike was minimal - superficial damage to the fender and scratches to the paint. I would reckon no more than 2,000 THB would have been generous. The rider drove the bike home after the accident and I followed. (I had taken her to hospital and paid for her to be checked out). Mechanically the bike was fine. In the end the insurance company paid her 12,000 THB for damage. I was also required by the company to report my misdemeanour to the police which resulted in a fine of 1,000 THB and a payment to the rider of another 1,000 THB. I am not complaining about this but it was unnecessary and if I had known reporting the accident to the police would have resulted in a fine I would have asked them to send a translator because I didn't know what was going down. Then the repairs to my own truck were estimated at 7,000 THB. I told the company I would pay myself as I have a 5,000 excess. This did not stop the repair company making a claim to my insurance company and being paid out for the repairs in addition to receiving payment from me.

I just lumped it and ate humble pie as I didn't think I would have achieved anything by complaining. I still don't know what I was convicted of! But I can understand why sometimes the advice on here is to leg it if you are involved in accident. I wouldn't, but there's no doubt in my mind that my insurers were completely indifferent to representing my interests and seemed to encourage the other party to maximise her claim.

Only time in 30 plus years of driving that I have ever hit another moving vehicle and I am mightily relieved the rider suffered no more than superficial injuries. I would strongly suggest you have a mobile phone with a camera/video and photograph/record any accident and the ID cards of anybody involved.

Edited by gerryBScot

This myth has been perpetuated by many a barstool expert for years.... Total rubbish...

However, Saastrajaa is correct on one point - Just give the Taxi driver whatever the fair is and leave, there is no need for you to hang around and you may as well get on with your day unless you are needed as a witness... Also there is no need for a Tip - he's just crashed !!!...

Following an accident:

2) Don't move your car until the BiB have come and told you to do so (If the accident is serious).

4) Call someone else who speaks Thai to help out (if your Thai is not sufficient)

5) Don't loose your cool

6) Depending on where and how serious the accident is the Police will turn up and will try and take the path of least resistance to proportion blame. IF you are sure you are not at fault, you are being perfectly reasonable by not accepting blame.

In this example I'm not sure if the 'other car' also drove off. A cam would have captured the event.

As this was a minor scratch - its not a big deal for the Op so I think he handled it fairly.

However, IF the Op wanted to pursue this, its now too late. He should have taken the car details (Photo) and called his insurance.

IF the other car wanted to drive off, thats ok... the Insurance & Police can deal with the issue.

About accepting/rejecting blame, Isn't it common with shared blame? So if it it's not a serious accident it might be wise to accept that, to avoid legal disputes that could turn out to be time consuming and expensive?

And, is driving license + copy of passport sufficient or do you always need to bring your original passport?

Edited by chopin2

In the OP's case would the insurance assessor come out at 11.30 pm and what could he do when the Fortuner has driven off and the OP has moved his car. I presume you are not supposed to move your car after an accident but that's not easy if you are caught in tight traffic.

I believe the insurance adjusters are on 24 hour call.

In my one and only experience of being in an accident about four years ago I was deeply unimpressed by the insurance agent, the insurance company and the entire manner in which the claim was conducted. It seemed as if they decided the accident would become a bit of a bonanza for all. I knocked a motor cyclist off her bike doing an illegal u-turn so I didn't really have a leg to stand on. However the damage to the bike was minimal - superficial damage to the fender and scratches to the paint. I would reckon no more than 2,000 THB would have been generous. The rider drove the bike home after the accident and I followed. (I had taken her to hospital and paid for her to be checked out). Mechanically the bike was fine. In the end the insurance company paid her 12,000 THB for damage. I was also required by the company to report my misdemeanour to the police which resulted in a fine of 1,000 THB and a payment to the rider of another 1,000 THB. I am not complaining about this but it was unnecessary and if I had known reporting the accident to the police would have resulted in a fine I would have asked them to send a translator because I didn't know what was going down. Then the repairs to my own truck were estimated at 7,000 THB. I told the company I would pay myself as I have a 5,000 excess. This did not stop the repair company making a claim to my insurance company and being paid out for the repairs in addition to receiving payment from me.

I just lumped it and ate humble pie as I didn't think I would have achieved anything by complaining. I still don't know what I was convicted of! But I can understand why sometimes the advice on here is to leg it if you are involved in accident. I wouldn't, but there's no doubt in my mind that my insurers were completely indifferent to representing my interests and seemed to encourage the other party to maximise her claim.

Only time in 30 plus years of driving that I have ever hit another moving vehicle and I am mightily relieved the rider suffered no more than superficial injuries. I would strongly suggest you have a mobile phone with a camera/video and photograph/record any accident and the ID cards of anybody involved.

Most likely you were fined for reckless driving.

You were to blame and your insurance vovered, so there was no interest to represented in the spot.

Absolute BS, having been in an accident in a taxi, when a bike went into the back of us.

The driver was far more concerned about getting money for the damage from the biker, than anything to do with us. He apologised profusely for not being able to continue with or journey, and was reluctant to take our fare. He might have been the one in a million, but I don't really think so.

This question will be better responded by your insurance agent, but I believe that if the other car didn't stop to wait for your insurance investigator or the police, and you didn't got the other car license plate, you will be blamed for the damages in your car. If the damage is very small, will be better for you to pay for the repairs. A damage that can you fix for 500thb, will be billed 5000thb if you use your insurance company, and will be in your records.

Following an accident:

5) Don't loose your cool

This is about as accurate as it gets!

Been in an minor accident once; my Thai wife was driving backwards on a parking lot and another car also went backwards to go out so the two cars hit.

Damage was minimal; everybody got out of the car and called their insurance agents.

In this case we did move the cars to assess the damage better but as it was minor it was no issue.

Waiting for the insurance agents took ages (about 45 minutes) even though we were near the center of Nakhon Ratchasima and not in the middle of nowhere.

The agents took a bunch of pictures while using a marker to make arrows on the car pointing at the damage. They filled in all the form, both drivers signed, and that was about it.

If you have an accident, stop your car exactly where it happens unless ordered by police to move it. No matter where your car is, in the middle of an express way, standing in the gate of a hotel stopping all traffic in and out, on a car parking ramp, no matter where you are stop your car exactly where you are at the moment of impact. Don't worry about the thousands of people affected by delays due to this, only look out for yourself and DELETED

Call insurance and wait for agent to arrive, meanwhile communicate as little as possible with anyone present except police. Never never make eye contact or communicate with the always present motorcycle taxi supervisor, who is there to extort money. Take pictures of everything relating to the accident.

Edited by seedy
language

Following an accident:

5) Don't loose your cool

About accepting/rejecting blame, Isn't it common with shared blame? So if it it's not a serious accident it might be wise to accept that, to avoid legal disputes that could turn out to be time consuming and expensive?

And, is driving license + copy of passport sufficient or do you always need to bring your original passport?

It is quite common for simple fender benders to share blame - thats usually the least confrontational path for the BiB to decide upon (for some reason they see that a fair !).

However, in the event of more serious accidents involving injuries by accepting even portal blame you could be opening yourself up to further legal difficulties (of course, each situation is individual).

Driving licence & Passport: Obviously its good to have both.

The Insurance agent will probably ask to see your licence and make a copy with the claim.

The Police may or may not ask to see your passport. It's good to have someone who could access it on your behalf to recover it in a reasonable time frame (and carry a copy) - the 'carry passport' discussion has been debated thoroughly in other threads.

really interesting read as after 10 years of driving in thailand i have had 3 minor bingles with motorbikes. one my fault, one their fault and one i am not sure. luckily no injuries, lucky the police were never involved, lucky never enough damage to need to claim on insurance. my advice on any accident not involving injury/death is try to keep the police out of it and let your insurance company sort it out if there is a need for repairs.

sneaky buggers claiming on insurance when you paid for it already. that would have affected your no claims bonus.

Excellent advice!
I attend many accidents daily and most Thai's do not accept responsibility even if it is blatantly obvious and many lie.
Cameras are almost essential for anybody but especially foreigners who normally get the short end of the stick.
Keeping cool is paramount! it can make a simple problem into a difficult one.
Talk as little as possible! Wait for your insurance guy to come. Some speak English some do not. It would help to have someone who speaks Thai come and explain your side of the story. If their is an injury you may assist if you have some medical experience, otherwise it is better not to intervene as you could make an injury worse. Just tell them to keep still until an ambulance arrives.
If both parties cannot agree to who is at fault then you MUST go to the police station and at the end of that you usually pay around 500baht "fine" to the police (not quite sure why but both parties, even the innocent party pay it but again not always)
All of this could waste hours of your time! and so.... It is also possible with minor accidents to negotiate with the other driver to pay anywhere from 500-3000 baht to cover their or your insurance (if you or they do not have insurance or do not want to claim on it). Again, make sure you have photos and a witness to this informal agreement. Get names, ID's, phone numbers of all involved. or video it.

Accidents with injuries within Bangkok call 1646
Accidents with injuries outside of Bangkok (in Thailand) 1669
Police 191

Following an accident:

5) Don't loose your cool

really interesting read as after 10 years of driving in thailand i have had 3 minor bingles with motorbikes. one my fault, one their fault and one i am not sure. luckily no injuries, lucky the police were never involved, lucky never enough damage to need to claim on insurance. my advice on any accident not involving injury/death is try to keep the police out of it and let your insurance company sort it out if there is a need for repairs.

sneaky buggers claiming on insurance when you paid for it already. that would have affected your no claims bonus.

"sneaky buggers claiming on insurance when you paid for it already. that would have affected your no claims bonus."

And if the insurance company knows this is not true. There is no way they're going to pay twice.

Call wife, wife calls insurance for my truck. Only serious accident with injuries I've ever had was while driving a neighbor's truck, who told me he had insurance on it but "neglected" to say only liability. Direct, dead centered head-on by motorbike. Plenty of witnesses who called the cops, ambulance, I called wife and tried tourist police(no answer). Wife got there before the real cop who had obviously had been at home or somewhere. The Thai people were extremely courteous and helpful. I thought the guy was probably drunk as he seemed to be accelerating until he hit the front of the truck and rolled up on the hood. He appeared to be out when he hit. Ambulance people almost finished the job, but he did survive with surprisingly light injuries. He, no license, no insurance. His fault 100% as all the witnesses agreed and as did the cop. Cop offered to put him in jail as he couldn't pay but I didn't have the heart. He had had a Petit Mal. Still cost me more than him. Wife and English speaking witnesses came in very, very handy. Rear ended when my truck was brand new by dump truck. No injuries, wife in front, our kids were in the back. Wife calls insurance and cops (she knows them-her village not his), cops say let insurance handle, dump truck pays, done deal. So yea, in case of accident, call wife first thing.

I supose if you or nobody else is hurt then whats the point in sticking around!! But what your saying is a joke right? or pessimism? because your not speaking from first hand experience are you?

Listen to wise advice my friend.

Seriously...there is too much chance that you will be blamed or held responsible for the accident based on their Thai logic that says:

The taxi cab driver was involved in an accident BECAUSE you, the foreigner, told him to go there and or take the route where the accident happened.

In other words, to their logic, the accident would not have happened if you had not instructed the driver to take you in that direction...where the accident happened ...while many Thai people will agree with that logic ....while someone should pay and better a rich foreigner than a poor Thai person.

Believe me, you do not want to stay around and "Chance" being Subjected to that particular kind of Thai mentality.

If the cab driver does not think like that then there is a good chance the other Thai people involved in the accident will be thinking the foreigner is responsible because all of them will not be readily accepting blame for the accident and want to avoid any responsibility so someone will be blamed and or held responsible or held partially responsible.

Stay around and see what happens.

I have been involved in 4 minor accidents when in a taxi cab over the 28 years that I have been here while 3 of the drivers said nothing as I paid the meter fare with extra because I was not about to wait for the small change....and off I walked.

But 1 of them did try to keep me from exiting the cab insisting that the accident was my responsibility ...maybe not my fault ..but my responsibility.

I threw the 100 baht on the front seat while I had to forcefully get away from his grip on my shirt and quickly exit the cab with him cursing after me.

Meantime if you did stay around and the police showed up then matters could turn even worse for you while all too many of the police would see your involvement there at the scene of the accident as a means to make some money off of you ..some how, some way...and not to be doubted....but not all Police officers ...but all too many.

Take your chances....

Cheers

This post has me lost, what has an accident got to do with you if you are a passenger? What are these Thai people going to say that can make any policeman or court expect you to give them any money?

Listen to wise advice my friend.

Seriously...there is too much chance that you will be blamed or held responsible for the accident based on their Thai logic that says:

The taxi cab driver was involved in an accident BECAUSE you, the foreigner, told him to go there and or take the route where the accident happened.

In other words, to their logic, the accident would not have happened if you had not instructed the driver to take you in that direction...where the accident happened ...while many Thai people will agree with that logic ....while someone should pay and better a rich foreigner than a poor Thai person.

Believe me, you do not want to stay around and "Chance" being Subjected to that particular kind of Thai mentality.

If the cab driver does not think like that then there is a good chance the other Thai people involved in the accident will be thinking the foreigner is responsible because all of them will not be readily accepting blame for the accident and want to avoid any responsibility so someone will be blamed and or held responsible or held partially responsible.

I have been involved in 4 minor accidents when in a taxi cab over the 28 years that I have been here while 3 of the drivers said nothing as I paid the meter fare with extra because I was not about to wait for the small change....and off I walked.

But 1 of them did try to keep me from exiting the cab insisting that the accident was my responsibility ...maybe not my fault ..but my responsibility.

I threw the 100 baht on the front seat while I had to forcefully get away from his grip on my shirt and quickly exit the cab with him cursing after me.

Meantime if you did stay around and the police showed up then matters could turn even worse for you while all too many of the police would see your involvement there at the scene of the accident as a means to make some money off of you ..some how, some way...and not to be doubted....but not all Police officers ...but all too many.

Take your chances....

Cheers

Again, nonsense.

Take your chances....

Cheers

Sorry - this is just rubbish... A taxi driver may try it on but thats a far cry from being held responsible...

If someone tries it on and you are weak enough to fall for it, then you are just weak.

If someone tries it on, just laugh them off... they know they're trying it on and as soon as they know you know, its game over.

Can someone confirm that you should not move the car until the police arrive?

A few years ago a motorcycle slammed into the side of my car on a busy rode in the center of town. I had heard that you shouldn't move the car, so I didn't. The insurance guy came before the police, and he gave me all kinds of attitude telling how I had made things worse by slowing down traffic by not moving my car.

I'd really like to know what I should have done.

Can someone confirm that you should not move the car until the police arrive?

A few years ago a motorcycle slammed into the side of my car on a busy rode in the center of town. I had heard that you shouldn't move the car, so I didn't. The insurance guy came before the police, and he gave me all kinds of attitude telling how I had made things worse by slowing down traffic by not moving my car.

I'd really like to know what I should have done.

I can't confirm what the law states - I've never read such a Law or Ruling.

But I can conform that if involved in an accident where there is injury and blame is contested then I personally wouldn't move the car until the Police have had a chance to look at the scene.

In such events the BiB will mark the road (final position of vehicles) and will take photos... You should also take plenty of your own photos.