Not enough time for 800K in account to meet retirement requirements, options?

Hello everyone,

Any advice greatly appreciated.
My Status:
Over 50 (but only turned 50 2 months ago) married Thai with thai child.
90 day single entry Non-o based on marriage (wasn't 50) granted in London expires 28th May.
60 day extension granted yesterday expires 27th July.
Have been trying to open a bank account for 800K deposit with no luck
(every bank in Pattaya Festival Mall and a few in Bangkok Seacon said no - new regulations)
Hanging around BKK immigration yesterday luchtime, gave bank account a go
and (hurrah!) got one no issues.
Problem:
Now transferring money will not meet 2 month rule and so cannot extend before
27th July based on retirement.
Questions:
To give myself extra time for the 800K baht to satisfy 2 month in bank account rule, should I
apply for reentry permit and leave/come back? can a reentry be requested during the 60 day extension?
is this the sensible way to go to give myself the extra time to satisfy retirement requirements?
Thanks for any help.
Nick
  • Like 2

The money only has to be in the bank for 60 days not 2 months. If it went in the bank tomorrow the 60 days would be July 25th. If not and it was only a day or two they would allow you to do the extension with an overstay after the 500 baht per day fine was paid.

A re-entry permit would give you no extra days. It only keeps your current permit to stay date when you enter the country.

To late now but if your wife had been with you when you were trying to open a bank account she could of been your reference by showing her ID card and her house book (or a copy of it).

• Like 2

From my own experience: Applied for visa type 'O' on basis of retirement showing B800K in bank (BBL Seacon Square), did not have full 60 days of money sitting in Bank. Immigration officer gave me 90 days extension and told me to come back in one month. I came back after 30 days and they issued a Type O on a basis of retirement (the only Visa issued in Country), after getting the confirmation letter from Bangkok Bank downstairs at BKK Immigration. This was immediately stamped "USED" at another desk and my previous permission to stay was extended to 1 year.

The extension of your permit to stay has to be at the immigration office of the district where you live and you mention Seacon Square Bangkok as well as Pattaya.

The bank account should be in your name only and is preferably a Time Deposit or certainly left untouched, to make it easier for the immigration officer. You cannot go Baht 1 below B800K to B799.00K otherwise they will just follow the rule book and reject your application. So you need to send enough from your overseas bank to ensure that B800K net is in your account after deduction of any charges.

• Like 1

I would recommend that you go to your Embassy and get an income verification statement stating that you have 60,000 Baht/month or 800,000, this is what I do. I know Immigration excepts these statements from the Canadian and American Embassies

• Like 1

I have had an account at Bangkok Bank for about 3 years. I inquired last week as to setting up a new, additional account, and was told that due to a new regulation, I would need to bring either proof I owned a condo, or proof of residency from Immigration. Hopefully this info saves someone some trouble.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

And remember only the first year is 2 months. After that it is 3 months. Or has been mentioned if you have a monthly income that meets the minimum you don't need to do the seasoned money thing.

• Like 1

From my own experience: Applied for visa type 'O' on basis of retirement showing B800K in bank (BBL Seacon Square), did not have full 60 days of money sitting in Bank. Immigration officer gave me 90 days extension and told me to come back in one month. I came back after 30 days and they issued a Type O on a basis of retirement (the only Visa issued in Country), after getting the confirmation letter from Bangkok Bank downstairs at BKK Immigration. This was immediately stamped "USED" at another desk and my previous permission to stay was extended to 1 year.

The extension of your permit to stay has to be at the immigration office of the district where you live and you mention Seacon Square Bangkok as well as Pattaya.

The bank account should be in your name only and is preferably a Time Deposit or certainly left untouched, to make it easier for the immigration officer. You cannot go Baht 1 below B800K to B799.00K otherwise they will just follow the rule book and reject your application. So you need to send enough from your overseas bank to ensure that B800K net is in your account after deduction of any charges.

Yes , I would be sending 900k or 950k , because the obvious question from a belligerent Immigration officer is , "So how did you live here over the past two months while this money seasoned? Are you working in Thailand?"

Dont use a 'Fixed Term' account - they want to see you spend your 800k or More on living expenses - it shows your are not working or a burden on their country.

Once this did happen to me, the money was not "seasoned" long enough. The immigration officer knew me and sorted it out on the spot. I got my visa the day after depositing the money.

Same same for me.

The bank delayed in sending my money and I was 4 days late ( 4 days short of 3 months ) on 'Extension Day'.

I didnt know the officer and he sent me away and told me to return when the money had reached 3 months.

I did so 4 days alter and he fined me 2000 baht for being 4 days late.

There was no hard words or anything , he had heard of this happening many times , and he suggested I just start the whole process earlier ( up to one month BEFORE ) next year...

Note: He said a Yearly Retirement Visa could be extended up to one month BEFORE and one week AFTER the expirey date.

Is this correct Ubon Joe ?

• Like 1

I would recommend that you go to your Embassy and get an income verification statement stating that you have 60,000 Baht/month or 800,000, this is what I do. I know Immigration excepts these statements from the Canadian and American Embassies

And if he does not actually have the income coming in ?

Once this did happen to me, the money was not "seasoned" long enough. The immigration officer knew me and sorted it out on the spot. I got my visa the day after depositing the money.

Same same for me.

The bank delayed in sending my money and I was 4 days late ( 4 days short of 3 months ) on 'Extension Day'.

I didnt know the officer and he sent me away and told me to return when the money had reached 3 months.

I did so 4 days alter and he fined me 2000 baht for being 4 days late.

There was no hard words or anything , he had heard of this happening many times , and he suggested I just start the whole process earlier ( up to one month BEFORE ) next year...

Note: He said a Yearly Retirement Visa could be extended up to one month BEFORE and one week AFTER the expirey date.

Is this correct Ubon Joe ?

An extension can be applied for 30 days early or 45 days at some offices. The 7 days after may be what they will allow when on overstay.

And if he does not actually have the income coming in ?

As far as I know for US nationals the declaration is made on their honour (haha) and requires no verification.

For UK nationals the consulate requires documented proof of income and charges a hefty fee (around 2,500B).

I know people here who just do the whole thing via visa agents for a cost of around 12,000B. The seasoning rules become very flexible when it is done this way.

• Like 1

If you can get a letter from your embassy that you have any certified income, say Baht 20,000 per month, plus enough money in the bank to add up to at least Baht 800,000 ( 12 x monthly income + money in the bank), at most offices there would be no need to have had the money in the bank for 2 months for the first extension (or 3 months for subsequent extensions) ... for an extension based on retirement.

• Like 1

1. One of my friends has the same problem that not enough time for 800k in his account. When he went to immigration to renew his retirement visa, the officer discovery the problem but said to him that if he is willing to pay extra fee, his problem can be fixed.

2. Once I visited a visa company named "Bxxs" at Central Pattaya Road. The manager said, I don't need any money at the bank if I want to apply retirement visa thru him with the charges of THB25,000. I talked to a friend of mine how can it be possible, he said because the visa company acts as a guarantor of the applicant.

1. One of my friends has the same problem that not enough time for 800k in his account. When he went to immigration to renew his retirement visa, the officer discovery the problem but said to him that if he is willing to pay extra fee, his problem can be fixed.

2. Once I visited a visa company named "Bxxs" at Central Pattaya Road. The manager said, I don't need any money at the bank if I want to apply retirement visa thru him with the charges of THB25,000. I talked to a friend of mine how can it be possible, he said because the visa company acts as a guarantor of the applicant.

1. Clear case of asking for a bribe. It will depend entirely on the officer in front of you.

2. I have never done this, but one way is that the money is deposited into an account in the retirees name and then transferred out again. The immigration officer will then have a document showing the funds were in the account. And probably through 1. can make a mistake in reading the date.

I have never heard of a "guarantor method".

2. I do not know of a single instance where retirees have had to prove they are spending a single Baht.

I do know people in Pattaya who have been asked to show a bank book with some regular transactions in as well as the 800kB deposit. I always take another book with me now, just in case.

But I dont know of anyone who has had his extension refused for not showing a second bank book with transactions.

The money only has to be in the bank for 60 days not 2 months. If it went in the bank tomorrow the 60 days would be July 25th. If not and it was only a day or two they would allow you to do the extension with an overstay after the 500 baht per day fine was paid.

A re-entry permit would give you no extra days. It only keeps your current permit to stay date when you enter the country.

To late now but if your wife had been with you when you were trying to open a bank account she could of been your reference by showing her ID card and her house book (or a copy of it).

wai2.gif ... Ahhhh .. Don't believe everything you read on here, grasshopper ...

Edited by Commercial Diver

It USED to be at least 800k in a Savings account. Fixed deposit accounts weren't accepted. Also, the 800k had to be seen to come from abroad.

All these requirements have been greatly relaxed over the years, but, you never know when they'll tighten it back up.

Am I missing something? The OP stated he was given a 90 day non-o based on marriage therefore being 50 yo has no relevance he could be 20 years old. And since he can get a visa for being married to a Thai he only needs 400,00 baht in the bank or 40,000 baht monthly income.

• Like 2

It USED to be at least 800k in a Savings account. Fixed deposit accounts weren't accepted. Also, the 800k had to be seen to come from abroad.

All these requirements have been greatly relaxed over the years, but, you never know when they'll tighten it back up.

Mythbust!

Again unless I now get hammered with hundreds of retirees who have different experience. In which case I now proffer my humble apologies.

1. In the last decade I have never known a single case where a fixed deposit was not accepted. (Before that I have no idea)

2. I have never known a single case where the 800k had to be shown as coming from abroad.

I have heard bar-based discussions and on Thai Visa the odd remark along the lines, "well, immigration may ask to see where the money came from". But I don't know of one solid instance where they have asked to see proof. Probably it was confusion over buying a condo or something.

I do not recommend living and worrying about "you never know they may", because I do know with absolute certainty that I will be dead in the next twenty years. The time I have left is not going to be wasted in trying to work out what to do in all the "you never know they may" possibilities.

you can get a new O visa in Lao. no?

It depends upon what basis it is being applied for. I for being 50 or over you need financial proof. Savannakhet is not a good choice for getting one for being over 50, If based upon marriage it would not be a problem.

But the OP does not need a new one.

Sorry you have the wrong amount its income verification letter for at least 65,000 Baht monthly or 800,000 baht yearly for retirement visa.

Am I missing something? The OP stated he was given a 90 day non-o based on marriage therefore being 50 yo has no relevance he could be 20 years old. And since he can get a visa for being married to a Thai he only needs 400,00 baht in the bank or 40,000 baht monthly income.

I think you missed this line in the OP. "Over 50 (but only turned 50 2 months ago) married Thai with thai child.".

I assume he does not want to apply for an extension based upon marriage.

My embassy certified income has always exceeded the Baht 65,000 per month, but I always include backup proof of the income I am claiming as well as photocopies of my bank book and a letter from my bank manager showing foreign originated deposits and a current balance of at least Baht 200,000.

Is all that necessary? Not really, but for nearly a decade no questions have ever been asked and my extension has been renewed without any hassle. That's all I want. Never been disappointed.

This what I do. I'm American and the Chiang Mai consulate does it. Don't need proof, just fill out the form and swear it's true (which it is!). Of course they charge $50.00 for this service.