Tips.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Yes on tipping here in LOS.These local people in the service industry have an income of very little and most depend on tips to make a difference. Usually if you are American or Canadian German,Scandinavian and several other Europeans a tip of 10 to 20 % is made .The Japanese about 5 to 10 % ,English and Chinese it is ZERO and if a Scotsman you might ask for a reduction in the bin.

Tipping is not an Asian trait, don't do it. If you see a Thai doing it, they are showing off! [emoji39]

Seriously, as said, if it's already on there (smart rest/hotel) but you're impressed with the service, bung it in their hand. 10%ish.

Tipping is not an Asian trait, Where did you get that from I have been living and working in the majority of Asian countries and they all tip unless its a fast food place or carry out.

The only place in Asia that I worked or lived that discouraged tipping was Taiwan where they have been known to follow you to give your tip back as it is already included in the bill.This guy that says that is not an Asian trait is just using that to answer for being A CHEAP CHARLIE.

Tipping is not an Asian trait, don't do it. If you see a Thai doing it, they are showing off! [emoji39]

Seriously, as said, if it's already on there (smart rest/hotel) but you're impressed with the service, bung it in their hand. 10%ish.

Rubbish! It is very much the Asian thing to tip. My In-Laws all do it, as does my Wife and her wide circle of Friends and they are certainly not the showy type.coffee1.gif

Ah Yes on tipping here in LOS.These local people in the service industry have an income of very little and most depend on tips to make a difference. Usually if you are American or Canadian German,Scandinavian and several other Europeans a tip of 10 to 20 % is made .The Japanese about 5 to 10 % ,English and Chinese it is ZERO and if a Scotsman you might ask for a reduction in the bin.

I can only speak for Americans. Many American TOURISTS may tip as you say, as they do at home. I reckon the vast majority of American EXPATS adjust to local tipping customs, which are nothing like you describe.

ln all my travels around this world(been to every continent except Antarctica & South America), l have NEVER met a mean Scotsman.

l guess you were kidding & its accepted that Scots are like their stereotype, we & some Scots even joke about it.

l have met good & bad Scots, but none that l remember as mean.

Maybe they try harder as they know what people think.

Some of the meanest s.o.bs are my fellow Ozzies.

ln all my travels around this world(been to every continent except Antarctica & South America), l have NEVER met a mean Scotsman.

l guess you were kidding & its accepted that Scots are like their stereotype, we & some Scots even joke about it.

As a Scot decent I am having a bit of fun with this.I learned how to make the jokes from my dad.If you can laugh at yourself then you can laugh with the world.( my quote)JFWj

Edited by sanukjim

(Mr)

Never met a mean Scot !!!!!! Never been to Scotland then LOL. Only people I know who can make an Arbroath smokie last a family of 5 for a week.?

Yes Charlie I am referring to the service charge.

I always give a direct tip to the person serving us and maybe a small amount on the bill.

So the service charge mostly goes to management or is it divided up in most cases?

There is no law saying where the money goes, it is entirely up to the owners or the establishment.

In some places the 10% service charge on the bill goes towards thinks like laundry charges for the napkins and table clothes, paying for straws and other consumable add-on's that they provide customers.

In some places the 10% is shared with the staff.

In some places the staff work together so any cash tip you hand to one gets put in a shared kitty, in other places the staff keep the cash tips they get given.

In some places 100% of the cash you leave in the bill fold is shared out, in others maybe only 50%.

Basically unless the owner or manager tells you exactly what system they have you will never know.

I'm from Asia and find the whole idea of tipping to be a scam anyway. I'm the customer, I shouldn't be helping to pay your staff salaries.

Pay your staff more so you get better staff and then I'll gladly pay more for the better service by way or higher prices.

all thai restaurants that have a SERVICE CHARGE plus 7% VAT i would avoid like the plague....
Basically they are claiming they are a proper co ltd company so there is the 7% VAT

But the 10% service charge????

Basically they are demanding you tip their staff 10% extra - and then i guarantee they will have the cheek to bring the bill on a plate, expecting you to tip more...

so if you are in the habit of paying 17% over the price quoted - then being expected to tip too... go for it... personally this is not the way i want to see thailand going and Farang business owners need to stop it... yes sunrise tacos you especially...

Did you know that it's quite an established practice here in Thailand anyway that part time workers in restaurants / service areas often get paid more per hour but they get no share of the tips.

Tips can double (or more) staff salaries if it's busy......

When I was going to America for a holiday, I read a bit about the country in a magazine.

i was told to expect to use about 20% of my spending money on tips in hotels and restaurants etc

Because of that, I went the whole three week holiday and never tipped even one cent.

If the capitalist employers won't pay their employers a decent wage, and have to depend on customers to tip their staff, then let them cut their profits a bit.

Edited by possum1931

When I was going to America for a holiday, I read a bit about the country in a magazine.

i was told to expect to use about 20% of my spending money on tips in hotels and restaurants etc

Because of that, I went the whole three week holiday and never tipped even one cent.

If the capitalist employers won't pay their employers a decent wage, and have to depend on customers to tip their staff, then let them cut their profits a bit.

You could get away with that as a tourist, but if you lived there you really couldn't if you ever wanted to go back to the SAME place.

I'm always minded that what is essentially nothing to me, might mean a lot to someone else.

If a good service is provided then I tip fairly generously, much to my wife's annoyance.

Hotel cleaners usually good for 500 to 1000 baht, and in most instances the latter. They invariably work their socks off and leave our room spotlessly clean then happy to tip well.

Waiters / waitresses are always good for a few hundred baht as long as they have provided a good service, whether or not a service charge is added to the bill.

It's nice to make a difference to someone's day.

(Mr)

Never met a mean Scot !!!!!! Never been to Scotland then LOL. Only people I know who can make an Arbroath smokie last a family of 5 for a week.?

Legend has it copper wire was invented by two Aberdonians arguing over a penny.

Service charges in Thai establishments? For what? I'm paying for the service in the price already. Tipping for service should be the

choice of the customer, not the supplier.

I'll tip a modest amount, depending on my knowledge of what the person who serves me is earning. I usually don't go back to places that hit me with a service charge.

Edited by bazza40

I only know of one restaurant that adds a service charge, in Washington Square. I won't eat there again, and the service I got was always poor. To me it seems like a sneaky way for the owner to raise his price or pay his staff less, and I was furious the first time they pulled it. I ate there a couple more times, but decided even without the service charge added the prices were too high. Now I just make it a policy, if they charge a service charge they don't get my repeat business.

My Thai wife once berated me for tipping at a restaurant. Her opinion was they were already making money and if I want to give my money away I should give it to a disabled person sitting on the footpath who can't work.

There is an old lady begging in Udon, close to Sampan and Central, she makes about 800 baht a day and gambles all of it, she looks like Hell too, malnourished, my gf heard the locals discussing it at restaurant

Did you know that it's quite an established practice here in Thailand anyway that part time workers in restaurants / service areas often get paid more per hour but they get no share of the tips.

Tips can double (or more) staff salaries if it's busy......

I didn't know that. Thais don't tip. At least the ones I go out to eat with don't. Ever. As far as I know all Thai restaurants know very well that their Thai customers do not tip and so they pay their staff a living wage. Maybe a very low living wage, but one they can live on.

. Wonder how many Sneezers u had on your food...

Why would they sneeze on my food when they do not know whether I am going to tip them or not? I may have been a good tipper for all they know.

Why would they sneeze on my food when they do not know whether I am going to tip them or not? I may have been a good tipper for all they know.
No repeat appearances...I can smell a no tipper anyway, in the biz for along time

I always tip for food service, chambermaids,motorbike service,taxis,samlo,delivery man,service men and even the hardware store if I took a lot of their time or they were creative in finding a solution to my dilemma. It used to drive my wife crazy but now she understands it's who I am.

She has even learned to be a little tipper herself and at times has admitted it felt good to make someone happy. She will however try and take most shortcomings to suggest "maybe no tip?". It's become a fun spirited game with us and occasionally I agree with her.

Tipping is for service. A service charge is for service. Anything & everything else is and should be included in the price of the drinks or meal. Get it?

If no service charge, and service was ok, then I tip an appropriate amount. But if there's a service charge, I don't tip. Period. If there's a service charge and staff isn't getting any of it, that's for them & the owner or mngmt to work out. His problem; not the customer's. For a customer to think he needs to pay both is just bone-headed, DESPITE what a business operator might of course tell you because he underpays his staff, wants the hapless, naive customer to make it up for him, and even tells his staff to expect it so they'll be angry at you rather than him. And if I see a service person reacting that way, I simply don't go back (and make sure to share my experience there with others).

Edited by hawker9000

I seldom tip and if I do I give to the server directly so the server gets it.Usually cute women who gives as good as service as the restaurant can provide.

I have been told by servers if I place it in the folder or tray it goes to the owner, and the server sees none of it.

If it is a small family restaurant you insult them if you give them money for free. In the past I have had them give it back. they are proud they work for their living and do not need charity as they see it.

Of course in tourist traps now they are so bold as to ask for the tip. But that is not a good example of dining in Thailand. It is dining in a tourist trap plain and simple.

Tipping is totally unnecessary in Thailand.Thais do not do it. When in Rome be a Roman.

I've been out with many Thais, when they pay the bill they have always tipped.

Yes Charlie I am referring to the service charge.

I always give a direct tip to the person serving us and maybe a small amount on the bill.

So the service charge mostly goes to management or is it divided up in most cases?

The service charge goes to the owner who normally uses it towards staff wages.

If the tip is left with the bill folder or on table then it normally goes into collective box to be divided between staff and usually the management takes a cut of up to 20%.

I prefer to tip the staff directly but sometimes they put this in the the collective box.

I once asked staff about what happened to the service charge and tips & was told that some customers before ordering state that they would not be paying the service charge and the manager waives it.

In a reputable joint the service charge does not go to the owner. It is collected by the establishment, and is shared pro rata among staff in addition to their wages (and any tips). In good hotels, during the high season the service charge can amount to several times the salary of low paid staff.

Some places do take a cut out of the service charge, ostensibly to use for various staff related expenses, which is unethical and probably illegal.

In restaurants and bars in Thailand, tips left on the tray or in the folder go into the collective tip box to be shared by staff. Again, it is unethical and probably illegal for management to take a cut; it certainly is illegal in many other countries.

A tip handed directly to a member of staff (tip meu) is generally kept by the person it is given to, though a few places have a policy that it should go into the box to be shared.

There are no real guidelines to tipping in Thailand; unlike in some countries it is not expected, but it is appreciated.

When people do tip it is often just the coins in the change, maybe along with a green note or two; sometimes a little or a lot more.

Really it is up to you, who gets the tip, and how much.

Matters not in Thailand if a certain practice is illegal, money is God.

No worries mate...I'd never tip a Scot...skirt or no skirt!!! Goodonya mate!!

Jeeez...is tipping 20 or 40 or a 100 baht going to make much difference to your 3000 baht night out?

Not for me...but it could make a significant difference to the person I gave it to....in the hand.