Banana IT Samui sell 70 year old British woman a duff phone then refuse to replace it

webfact

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Samui Times tried to contact Banana IT but could not reach them by phone, it seems their phones are either also malfunctioning"

I laughed.

More than the phone is malfunctioning. Tourist Police really? the following quote just about states what to expect from them.

Disgusted with the service and upset to have invested in a worthless phone Mrs Connell and her daughter approached the tourist police for advice. The tourist police suggested that the matter be dealt with by the Samui Provincial Tourist Court before laughing and joking with the shop assistant, who had laughed in Mrs Connells face, before giving the shop assistant a ride home. unqote. Hey TAT lady cleanup in aisle 7. I hope the daughter filmed all this on her phone and put it on Facebook.

If she bought a real iPhone she has the receipt and the warranty. Surely Apple's guarantee is honoured internationally? She can sort it out with Apple when she gets home.

If you had cared reading some posts above, you'd see that it's not as obvious as it may seem.

This tends to support some horror stories I've heard from people who had tried to have their iPhones bought in Dubai serviced in Europe under warranty.

"Mrs Connell and her daughter approached the tourist police for advice.

The tourist police suggested that the matter be dealt with by the Samui Provincial Tourist Court,

before laughing and joking with the shop assistant, who had laughed in Mrs Connells face, before giving the shop assistant a ride home."

Trust me.I am Thai. wai2.gifwai.gif

I know this isnt about a phone,but its the same thing.Sales persons attitude.

I went into a branch of a chain builders merchants to buy some paint for a fibre cement fence.I knew what i was looking for but i was followed around the store by a young kid who had no idea.

My wife saw the stuff we wanted on a shelf prices at 550 baht for about 4 litres."that the stuff i want" i said.

"No it isnt"he said,"you want this" he then produced a tin of some other paint that was for wood.It had no price on it nor on the rail below.

I was told it was 900 baht.I laughed at him because i couldnt believe what he was telling me.After 30minutes of trying to tell thiekid that i knew what i wanted.i got pissed off and called for the manager.
He's out eating i was told.

When he came back i nicely explained to him that this kid was trying to have me over.You know,ive been in the building game for 50 years and here i am with a know nothing boy trying to sell me what he wants.

We left and went to another BM up the road.I got what i wanted in 5 minutes for510 baht.

Plus all my brushes and cleaner.

The girl at the check out told my wife that the other shop employs kids who just have no training,and are told by the manager to sell the most expensive product in the shop and even lie about the price if they have to.And even if it isnt what they want.

Business must be bad.

I have bought things from Banana IT before because I thought they were a reputable

shop. Now I see they are not I will make my purchases elsewhere. Thanks for the

heads up. coffee1.gif

Many retailers try scams like this on unsuspecting tourists/ farangs.

I bought a camera from a reputable retailer, in the shop it was working fine.

Assistant demonstrated how to use it. Then took it out back to wrap it.

When i got home i went to use the camera ( <deleted> ) not the same camera.

Went back to the shop, ohh you did not buy that here, ohh yes i did look at the receipt.

Stupid buggers refused to change it, you paid we got your money bye bye.

Wrong i just contacted my credit card people and stopped payment.

As previously stated why do tourists spend serious money buying a phone when on holiday?

Lady should have bought a cheapy, then bought an expensive phone when she got home.

Hi just wonder is there anything you do like about Thailand. You always seem down on every topic???

I think this is an isolated case just at this particular store.

I think so too. I have used the store a number of times recently and the staff have been more than helpful.

Nice attempt to control damage there but sadly the word is out and the damage factor will grow exponentially.

Expensive items like this should be paid with a credit card rather than cash. That way you will always have the option to simply contact your credit card provider, explain them the situation and have the payment cancelled.

Even if they will accept credit card payment, they will probably add 3% to your bill..

I often thought about this. It seems it could open the door to lots of fraudulent claims if anyone can get a payment stopped on their own heresay.

I thought it had to be a case of fraudulent billing, where the customer never got the product ie.internet sale or the like.

If it was an accross the counter sale, where you have already taken possession of goods, i think the bank will say its between you and the store.

I have heard from others, you are lucky to get a payment stopped once, but if it happens often, the bank will certainly be scrutinising you

From my experience you are right. Even with a completely fraudulant billing I had to jump through lots of hoops and take a lot of time. For a situation almost the same as this lady their reaction was that I had to sort it out with the vendor.

Notice they have taken down on the Main FB page the ladies comments about the phone .. Customer Service at it's finest in Thailand .. Surprised they taken a whole promotion on Iphone 5s then to put a new one up a few hours later ...

You work your way up the chain. Had similar issues with home pro. Worked way up to the local manager. No satisfaction. Went to management in bangkok. They called the local store and i got a personal call from the manager apologizing profusely. Came in the next day. She apologized, gave the deepest wai I had even seen and treated me with dread. She was apparent warned to handle this is she would be immediately fired. She also gave me some gifts. Amazing change of heart. Very satisfying to witness. Do not take no for an answer. Make as big a stink as you can. They will have no choice but to make you whole. That is why we buy from the big box retailers to begin with!

I think so too. I have used the store a number of times recently and the staff have been more than helpful.

There are two stores of this chain on Samui.

So the word is out .... Don,t shop at banana ! Best way is for everyone to vote with their feet and the store will go under, deservedly so smile.png

How strange.

I quite often buy stuff in Banana IT and on the couple of times I had a problem, the branch in Khampaeng Phet checked it, found that there was a problem and replaced the items with an apology.

It comes down to the manager of the stores..... I had an issue at Chawang BIT a few years ago, over a antivirus program, which could not be registered on line. Took it back and given the "finger" never been back since.

There was a time at the Chawang store that the now owner of Mnet, ran the store (BIT) well... he runs his own business well now.

I hope heads roll over this one and the lady gets a replacement phone!

How disgraceful.

Probably a previous return that they try to sell to a 'soft target' or a knockoff that one of the workers tried to sell on the sly.

Still, got me beat why tourists buy this sort of big ticket thing while on holiday.

A hassle if needing after sales a few months later

Due to the international costing policy a genuine Iphone is not much cheaper in Thailand anyway.

Not condoning the fraud, but she should have just bought a 2000 baht holiday phone and tossed it away later.

If i had to buy from here, it would only be from the legit brand name stores in the big malls, not the discount cowboy shysters.

I thought I was doing that a few years ago when I bought a Wii from the Siam Paragon Department store. When I updated the software online, it "bricked" because it was a counterfeit Korean version. I took it back and they said their clients new that they did not sell legit versions. They did however update the board for a few thousand baht, but lesson learned that even major department stores may not be on the up-n-up.

There are two stores of this chain on Samui.

So which store was it?

Archived