Action promised on Nonthaburi 'Stairway to Heaven'

webfact

Action promised on Nonthaburi 'Stairway to Heaven'

s2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Action is promised after builders put up a pedestrian road bridge in Nonthaburi with an electricity power pole slap bang in the middle of the stairway.

Social media went into meltdown after pictures of the bridge and pole were posted on the Facebook page of Komsarn Pokong who commented: "What part of his anatomy did the builder use to think up this idea? Did he not think pedestrians might be electrocuted?"

A storm of subsequent comment mostly centred around criticism of the builders and concern for pedestrians though many wanted to know why the bridge was costing so much to build - over 4 million baht reported Thairath.

Manas Singsanga of the Nonthaburi highways department explained what had happened:

"Before building started we had talks with the Electrical Generating authority (EGAT) at the end of last year," said Manas. "They agreed to take out the power pole but it has not yet been done. It will be taken out on the 14th and 15th of this month."

Asked why it had been built around the power pole in the first place he said that work on the bridge had to start due to contractual agreements.

He said that the high budget for the bridge of 4.2 million baht was because it was 54 metres long having to cross ten lanes of road.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-13

Surely contractors should have said hang on a minute.

Please move the poles before we start building.

Ohh sorry stupid comment on my behalf. To move the electric first would have required someone to use their brains.

An example of the PM's ' critical thinking ' or an example of simply ' no thinking '.

Not really. An example of decades of incapable folks buying their way into higher government positions / getting into higher positions through nepotism, folks with no capability or commitment or concern for any level of professionalism, checking details etc. Just one thought 'where's my %'.

And often the power (often powerful political families and their hangers on) to intimidate / to sideline any attempt by colleagues, juniors etc., to raise concerns and objections.

And often unscrupulous contractors who couldn't give a shxx, just get on with it, pay off officials if needed to get way with shoddy work, no need to work to proper standards or actual specs because pay offs cancel inspections etc.

This became par for the course years ago and all governments, all flavors, for the last several decades should be held accountable.

There's a long way to go.

But of course it suits your purposes to blame every little thing on the current PM. Grow up.

Edited by scorecard

An example of the PM's ' critical thinking ' or an example of simply ' no thinking '.

Not really. An example of decades of incapable folks buying their way into higher government positions / getting into higher positions through nepotism, folks with no capability or commitment or concern for any level of professionalism, checking details etc. Just one thought 'where's my %'.

And often the power (often powerful political families and their hangers on) to intimidate / to sideline any attempt by colleagues, juniors etc., to raise concerns and objections.

And often unscrupulous contractors who couldn't give a shxx, just get on with it, pay off officials if needed to get way with shoddy work, no need to work to proper standards or actual specs because pay offs cancel inspections etc.

This became par for the course years ago and all governments, all flavors, for the last several decades should be held accountable.

There's a long way to go.

But of course it suits your purposes to blame every little thing on the current PM. Grow up.

I'm fully matured thank you and it doesn't suit any purpose of mine. Seems you need Humour Adjustment as you can't spot tongue in cheek comments or are you as thin skinned as he is ?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Oh my god, that is priceless.

More proff that no one in Thailand working for the goverment or on a government contract has the brains to look at something and say that's wrong.

As another poster stated, this is all due to incompetent people buying their way into jobs they are not qualified for, or nepotism. Same same.

Asked why it had been built around the power pole in the first place he said that work on the bridge had to start due to contractual agreements.

Contractor probably saying: Build it first, then when they want us to come back and mend that hole, we will charge them millions!

The article says the bridge will be 54 metres long. From the looks of the pics above, if it was 55 or 56, they could have simply placed the staircase a bit further in from the road in all that extra space and avoided this whole situation altogether. Maybe they'd just have to move some of the wires a little higher over the entrance to the bridge for people to walk under.

What is the plan now, just leave one pole out from supporting the wires over the bridge?

Perfect Thai building techniques. As long as it works who cares what it looks like or hoe dangerous it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do not know about the hoe's as I live in the north but as a wheelchair user it is 100% normal to put a pole in the middle of a pathway.

I'm honestly surprised Prayuth didn't call a press conference to announce this c0ck-up would be fixed.

He needs the approval, everything's going sideways for him right now, and he thinks nobody loves him, poor dear.

He's right.

Nobody who matters anyway. See how fast he gets thrown under the bus when it all goes belly-up and he can't pretend it was someone else's fault.

Winnie

What is sooo wrong with this?

The contractor had a job to do to build the stairs.

He is building the stairs, and when the 3rd party removes the power pole, he will patch up the cement.

What's wrong with that?

You see it everywhere here during new constructions.

Reminds me about after cyclone Tracy in Darwin.

Some one in authority said clear the streets, so 2 D9's or large tractors, side by side clearing the streets, plus all the telstra junction boxes and any other utilities.

Would you rather the contractor cut the post off?

Look at your own country f**s before you criticise here.

I'm honestly surprised Prayuth didn't call a press conference to announce this c0ck-up would be fixed.

He needs the approval, everything's going sideways for him right now, and he thinks nobody loves him, poor dear.

He's right.

Nobody who matters anyway. See how fast he gets thrown under the bus when it all goes belly-up and he can't pretend it was someone else's fault.

Winnie

You are right. Thailand is a feudal country.

It's not a third world country. What ever that means.

It's a developing country that has agriculture at it's roots.

If you want to live here or visit here remember that.