Runaway truck slams six cars on Patong Hill

webfact

Runaway truck slams six cars on Patong Hill
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1465791222_1-org.jpg
The truck slammed at least six cars as it careened down Patong Hill this morning (June 13). Photo: VR Patong145.400

PHUKET: -- A truck and trailer carrying 40 concrete pylons slammed into at least six vehicles as it careened down Patong Hill this morning (June 13).

Only one motorist, a motorbike driver, was injured, reported first-responders at the scene. “He already has been taken to hospital,” one emergency worker told The Phuket News.

The accident happened shortly before 9:30am, when said Patong Police.

The truck was descending the hill into Patong when the driver lost control.

“About six to seven cars were damaged,” said the emergency worker, adding, “many of the concrete poles were spilled ontpo the road.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/runaway-truck-slams-six-cars-on-patong-hill-57846.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-13

Wish the motorcycle rider a quick recovery.

Nor a good start into the day.

Driver from the lowlands?

Never seen a hill?

Don't know what the gearbox is for?

Last break inspection in 1999?

I worry about a runaway truck or bus behind every time I go down into Patong. I still think about that very crushed car with driver dead inside ....

Squashed into the barrier like a empty soft drink can.

That video is ingrained into my memory forever.

Edit:

Edited by sebastion

I worry about a runaway truck or bus behind every time I go down into Patong. I still think about that very crushed car with driver dead inside ....

I go across Patong Hill twice daily......I always try to place my car well away from trucks and buses ....let them get ahead of you even if it means you are going to be 5minutes late ....better safe than sorry

Patong Hill is notorious for bus and truck failures and ensuing accidents. The tunnel project to replace this road has been under discussion and various planning stages for over 15 years to my personal knowledge. Nothing concrete (intentional) in sight.

Patong Hill is notorious for bus and truck failures and ensuing accidents. The tunnel project to replace this road has been under discussion and various planning stages for over 15 years to my personal knowledge. Nothing concrete (intentional) in sight.

Nothing has happened because the lands owners want too much money for their land.

Nothing has happened because the lands owners want too much money for their land.

You must mean the bits of land at each end. The big bit in the middle should be free for the digging. They obviously cannot belong to anyone important or the payments would have been made by now. Actually digging the tunnels would not be important.

I was discussing the tunnel idea other week with a mate, surely on Patong side the exit/entrance wold be around where Monty's stood - maybe a raised road bring traffic in above Pissit Koranee/Nanai/sai Nam Yen onto the Middle (Broken) rd area near Police station, junction with Patong Hospital then routes into Patong, Kalim, Karon...

Still years away if ever it gets going... Thought Buses, trucks etc were banned on the hill at certain busy times for 'safety' that was the last great safety plan wasn't it? route them all via Surin into Patong to liven up the coastal route for a change...?

Edited by Lokie

While in principle a tunnel could be a good thing with regards to negating the lack of driving skills with some drivers, all it would simply do is make it faster to get to the 'mess' which the road system of Patong is - illogical one way systems & lack of parking (not helped by the lack of decent public transportation).

When our dear departed mayor was in power he erected a sign on the third road (next to the APK Residence - I wonder what APK stands for?). This sign indicated the route the roads would take entering & exiting the Patong end of the tunnel. It looked as though a few people stood to make an awful lot of money from having to sell their land to help in facilitating the building of the tunnel system.

A far cheaper and more benificial answer to the situation (as the laws are already in place) would be to ensure that all commercial vehicles were roadworthy and compliant with the existing laws. Plus, having a dedicated commercial drivers licence and making sure that operators are suitably qualified to hold such a licence.

I believe the local Governer introduce a local directive a couple of years ago that stated that commercial vehicles were not allowed to traverse Patong hill during certain hours. I take it this rule has since been rescinded, or is it simply being ignored as most rules/traffic laws are?

<snip>

When our dear departed mayor was in power he erected a sign on the third road (next to the APK Residence - I wonder what APK stands for?). This sign indicated the route the roads would take entering & exiting the Patong end of the tunnel. It looked as though a few people stood to make an awful lot of money from having to sell their land to help in facilitating the building of the tunnel system.

<snip>

... and even more money to be made via kickbacks and skimming off project funds.

Every time I saw that sign, I thought there should be a tagline of "...Because papa needs a new hotel / nightclub / resort / beer distributorship / guesthouse / restaurant / beach club."