Erdogan writes to Kremlin to end rift over downed jet

webfact

Erdogan writes to Kremlin to end rift over downed jet

606x341_336854.jpg

ANKARA: -- Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has written to Russian leader Vladimir Putin in a bid to end a standoff between the two nations sparked by the shooting down of a Russian plane.

A spokesman for Erdogan said the letter, which has not been published, expressed the president’s sadness over the incident.

The Kremlin went further, saying the words included an apology and that Turkey said it had not intended to shoot down a Russian plane.

The incident in November shattered diplomatic ties between Ankara and Moscow.
At the time, President Putin denounced the downing of the fighter on the Syrian border as a ‘‘treacherous stab in the back’‘

One of the pilots died after the aircraft was hit in airspace above the Turkish border with Syria last November. He was shot by militants on the ground after ejecting from the aircraft.

In response Russia imposed a raft of trade and travel sanctions on Turkey.

The circumstances of the incident were disputed by both sides, with Ankara arguing the aircraft had strayed into its airspace and had ignored repeated warnings.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-28

A while back....

Turkey won't apologize to Russia over warplane downing

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874998-turkey-wont-apologize-to-russia-over-warplane-downing/

Turkey's Erdogan threatens 'consequences' for Moscow, saying Russian jet violated its airspace

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891238-turkeys-erdogan-threatens-consequences-for-moscow-saying-russian-jet-violated-its-airspace/

Turkey should say Sorry but.. you fly here we kill you. Putin is actually pushing for a war - small scale to show his power as economically russia is no longer a player. People now get oil and gas elsewhere and China is getting the deal of the century from Russia paying heaps less than anyone else.

Roll on Green power and stop the Threat from this bully

Turkey should say Sorry but.. you fly here we kill you. Putin is actually pushing for a war - small scale to show his power as economically russia is no longer a player. People now get oil and gas elsewhere and China is getting the deal of the century from Russia paying heaps less than anyone else.

Roll on Green power and stop the Threat from this bully

"...economically russia is no longer a player."

Erdogan's main motivation was elevating economic pressure applied by Russia.

Factbox: Russia-Turkey economic and trade relations

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-russia-turkey-ties-fac-idUSKBN0TD26K20151124

Turkey should say Sorry but.. you fly here we kill you.

Jets were not for Turkey, but on their route to Syria/ISIS, and trespassing wasn't so much big, it was around borders. Russia always said that it's does not threatening Turkey in any way nor have plans for it.

Jets were not for Turkey, but on their route to Syria/ISIS, and trespassing wasn't so much big, it was around borders. Russia always said that it's does not threatening Turkey in any way nor have plans for it.

Oh dear me, I needed a good laugh. I suppose other countries' aircraft are welcome to stray across Russian borders?

KAL 902 and KAL 007 ring any bells for you?

Oh dear me, I needed a good laugh. I suppose other countries' aircraft are welcome to stray across Russian borders?

Oh dear me, I get a feeling that you're an American.

Oh dear me, I get a feeling that you're an American.

Oh dear me, far from it.

A while back....

Turkey won't apologize to Russia over warplane downing

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/874998-turkey-wont-apologize-to-russia-over-warplane-downing/

Turkey's Erdogan threatens 'consequences' for Moscow, saying Russian jet violated its airspace

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/891238-turkeys-erdogan-threatens-consequences-for-moscow-saying-russian-jet-violated-its-airspace/

Erdogan finally kisses the ass of Putin and lost a lot of face! happy with that.

I was expecting it as turks are alone in middle east now. current developments of a sinking EU is also another reason.

But Russian economic sanctions damage Russia more than Turkey as EU and US applies sanctions to Russia and Turkey was one of the rare countries selling goods to Russia.

still, internally, tourism and agriculture sectors suffered a bit and if that continues, those guys in those sectors will not be voting Erdogan again. So he had to do it after all those bs words he spelled like Russia was wrong and he will never apologize etc.

Of course, Erdogan lost some votes due to that apology and now they are trying to push the blame to former Prime minister as Russian plane downed at his tenure.

but, it was Russia's fault to intrude into turkish airspace and if they do it again without permission from turks, i am sure turks will down one more Russian jet.

it is Russia's fault to be in Syria tens of thousands of km away from their soil and they have no cultural or historical ties in that area. Just to gain some land and bases and some Russian businessman also bought ISIS oil through bloody Assad.

and same day, Israel apologized from Turkey and accepted a deal not good for Israel as they need to pay 20 million USD compensation to dead turks and Netenyahu apologized from Erdogan already long time ago and sanctions to Gaza is lifted a bit. I was expecting Israel to reject this.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.727369

http://www.timesofisrael.com/turkey-president-commits-to-help-free-israelis-from-gaza-as-deal-nears/

so same day turks received official apology and a future 20 million USD from Israel and they sent an apology to Russia and most probably, they will send that 20 million to Russians as compensation!

Bigot Erdogan must suffer!

It's always sad when civils are suffering, but:

Context of KAL 902:

- Nobody warned USSR about a plane going there.

- Plane pilot didn't replied to operator's queries, continued to fly silently. That's why interceptor was dispatched.

- For some reason, plane began turning around to Finland (?). That's when military of USSR saw it as a threat.

- On the court, pilots of passanger aircraft confessed that they were asked to change course (before actual strike happened), but they didn't obey.

Context of KAL 007:

- New round of cold war just started (Soviet-Afgan war, which USA considered as expansion policy from USSR)

- Autumn 1982 - several incidents of USA going around Kamchatka Peninsula, Sea of Okhotsk (where soviet ballistic missile submarine being held).

- March 1983 - USA aircraft carriers went to Aleutian Islands, where military exercises took place for some time.

- 4 april 1983 six USA aircraft went to USSR airspace (Lesser Kuril Ridge, 2-30km) where they held arbitrary bombing (exercises) on Green islands.

- Route of KAL 007 was configured to go above Pacific Ocean (to more east from Kamchatka), then through Japan. Real route went through USSR

- Near that time, USA RC-135 aircraft was getting closer to Boeing 747, and soviets provided data that it was so close that two marks on radar became one. USSR air defence system locked this mark as RC-135 on all it's way here.

- Boeing 747 went right above military objects of USSR (where flying has been banned).

- Deviation of Boeing 747 was around 500km and it's trespassed USSR several times on it's route (nobody was warned).

Context of trespassing Turkey:

- Turkey probably knew themselves or being warned that there are operations near Syria.

- Turkey were informed about plane route goal.

- In previous cases (before actual attack on aircraft), Russia said sorry and explained that it was routing mistake and that it wasn't threating Turkey anyhow

But again, I agree that all this is awful, no doubt about that.

Sad that politic situation somehow touching innocent ones.

Context of KAL 007 - how hard is it to use a Mk1 eyeball to determine what you are shooting down before killing 269 people? And the whole explanation was that a 747 was taking 'evasive maneuvers' to get away from a Su-15, while lit up like a bloody xmas tree. As if.

OTOH when a military attack aircraft is shot down inside another country's borders, our Russian sounding friend says "trespassing wasn't so much big".

Galactus, your ignorance makes me feel you either have not ever seen the map of the world or even worse:

You wrote: "it is Russia's fault to be in Syria tens of thousands of km away from it"

Correct answer: the distance between the Russian and Syrian border is 650 km

You wrote: "Russia has no cultural or historical ties in Syria"

Correct answer: First written evidence of contacts between Russian pilgrims and Syrians are dated back to 12 century as Syria is the cradle of Orthodox Christianity and since 12 century relations between Russia and Antioch and Jerusalem Patriarchates have been actively developing.

Check your facts before publishing them here.

Antioch and Jerusalem Patriarchate