My 2 year temporary drivers license experience

Rayk

Went to the Land Transport office yesterday on the outskirts of Bangkok (I'm going to keep the actual location of the office confidential) with a letter of residence from immigration, a medical certificate, photocopy of my passport photo page, photo copy of my tourist visa extension of stay as well as a photocopy of my {expired} Canadian drivers license.

10 minutes after arrival a lady had me look at a poster on the wall and she would point to a color on the poster and i would repeat the color.

Paid my 305B fee than went to have my photo taken. 2 minutes later, the gentleman that took my photo called me up, and asked me my name, i told him and he handed me my license.

Easiest thing i have ever done in Thailand

In and out in just under 15 minutes

Well considering i received my Thai drivers license using an expired drivers license from my home country it would only make sense to not name which office this occurred at so that it doesn't become public knowledge.

What difference does it make which office it occurred.

The point is not, which office I received my license, but more to the point as to how easy it was.

Edited by Rayk

"Getting it with an expired license is a bit of a lucky draw."

Hence the reason why I'm not mentioning which location I received my license.

Edited by Rayk

So you never did the reaction or perception test, only the colour test?

That's right. I only did the colour test.

well, you have been very lucky. it took me several days, tests, videos, driving a test course etc.

perhaps not mentioning where you got your licence will protect some people who have neglected their duty.

That's right. I only did the colour test.

well, you have been very lucky. it took me several days, tests, videos, driving a test course etc.

perhaps not mentioning where you got your licence will protect some people who have neglected their duty.

That is the exact reasoning as to why I haven't stated which office it was at.

Was it expired less than one year? If so, it's not a special service as Thai (and I suppose foreign) DLs can be renewed as per usual if not expired more than one year. So if that was the case, sorry to tell you, you didn't get special treatment laugh.png

Was it expired less than one year? If so, it's not a special service as Thai (and I suppose foreign) DLs can be renewed as per usual if not expired more than one year. So if that was the case, sorry to tell you, you didn't get special treatment laugh.png
Been expired since 2013

Hate to burst your bubble, but I never said I was looking for special treatment, now did I.

Edited by Rayk

Same to me because the devices were defect (guess since long) biggrin.png TiT.

I put the blame on the fact that it is a remote upcountry office.

But recently read a report from Bangkok about a room full of people watching the video on a small tube TV.

Sounded familiar tongue.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

Been expired since 2013

Hate to burst your bubble, but I never said I was looking for special treatment, now did I.

So the clerk didn't notice it or didn't want to bother doing the calculation of the date conversion...not surprising. So you lucked out...still no reason not to disclose the DLT in question. It's not like every farang with an expired license is gonna rush on over there and apply for a Thai license cheesy.gif

Like everything else in Thailand, it depends on the luck of the draw.

My friend and I went to renew our licenses on the same day but at 2 different offices. I will tell you where. Mine was at at On Nut (Bang Na) and my friend went to Mor Chit.

I had to go through the whole procedure once again of taking the test and watching the 30 minute video. It took about 4 hours.

My friend was in and out in less than one hour.

This is Thailand!

Like everything else in Thailand, it depends on the luck of the draw.

My friend and I went to renew our licenses on the same day but at 2 different offices. I will tell you where. Mine was at at On Nut (Bang Na) and my friend went to Mor Chit.

I had to go through the whole procedure once again of taking the test and watching the 30 minute video. It took about 4 hours.

My friend was in and out in less than one hour.

This is Thailand!

and everyone who has lived here for just a few years will know that that is 100% true

'This is Thailand' !!!