Phuket condo owners warned 'holiday rentals' less than 30 days risks fines, jail time

rooster59

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who is in a long term rental I support this. The residents where I live have to put up with transient people who having adopted the 'but I'm on holiday so it doesn't matter' mode show little consideration for others.

Drunks in the pool at 4 am are a pain in the backside- they can sleep in all day, we live 'normal lives. Screaming kids running around the pool all day can get on the nerves as well. One badly behaved child can hold an entire complex hostage

People initially bought the condos where I live on the premise that they would be for residents, not transients. Most have changed hands now, with those purchasing them as investment and income opportunities. This is what the Gov't is clamping down on and I see nothing wrong with it.

Some people will regard me as a misery guts for posting the above but hotels are there for a reason. This is my HOME not a holiday, why should I have it disrupted by people who would not behave the same way when they are HOME.

Its a factor people forget when they start bellyaching and all they can come up with 'well, if you don't like it...............'.

I agree with you .But this is not being enforced because of the likes of you.It is the big money people complaining that there hotels are empty.Most of the condo.s are empty aswell.ie just under 15000 in the pattaya area There are not many tourist,s that stay for a month in the same place.Like back packers.What this will mean is that less tourists come.How many ,i dont know.But i have met many before that have come and rented a condo for 2 weeks booked in there home country through a freind.I can get a good hotel with pool for 1000 baht a night in pattaya.Outside in the likes of Ko chang 2000 a night.I think it will effect the likes of bars with a couple of rooms above.Not sure.I do not think that you are a misery guts.I have seen the idiots that you are talking about.

Wonder what happens if someone initially wants to rent for a month, then decides once they are here that they will instead stay only for two weeks as the two weeks coincide with their flight plans. How does that get enforced if the initial contract was for a month to comply with the hotels act?

minimum rental one month paid in advance not refundible

I'm not sure who would rent their condo out for less than a month anyway, perhaps to friends and very hard to prove, I don't think this is targeting those people

There are a number of "guest houses" that have rooms for rent on a weekly monthly basis, they are stand alone buildings but not hotels, they are cheaper than hotels, I suspect this is what is being mainly targeted

I think it has more to new websites that promote people renting out their condos and houses as if they were a hotel. If you search the web you will find allot of people that have condos ready to be rented by the day.

Its mainly seems a fightback from Hotels which i found virtually empty in Pattaya.

As a long time and frequent AirBnb user ( about +50 rentals in different places over 3 years ) i can say its far better value for money than Hotels:

Lot more space , home feel , big TV , no need to deal with incompetent staff.

Try to ask for an extra fan or something like that in a hotel in Thailand ... When you complain on AirBnb you can something rather quickly.

I have beento some hotel before where water was cold year after year and always given the same sorry excuses.

The that Tourist are annoyance in Asia is rubbish in general while it may make sense in minor case like near walking street in Pattaya

For instance i have been staying at 'The Chezz' in Pattaya and the main noise was due to a hen making noise all the day from the house of a long term tenant , if not owner.

Or the noise of local doing Karaoke in the Philippines ,or their uneducated children shouting all the time.

Or the Thai / Korean living next door slamming doors and putting TV loud.

Or the long term expat which like Thai leaves the door open as a cheap charlie not to pay the air con. Whith childrens from his Thai wife shouting , playing in the appartment or when goingto the pool. Or TV switched on while door is open.

Or the perpetual men at work in the building because all long term owners 'supposedly educated' can't agree on common date to make the repair in the building to ensure that some month be completely quiet , without hammer noise

or whatever.

Or noise due to poor maintenance ( swimming pools , lifts , water pipes ) not broken by tourists.

Or the many dogs barking at night in the neighborhood , not dogs from tourists as well.

Who can claim nois manily comes from tourists, seriously? In my experience its just a small contribution to the environmental noise in Asia.

In the MANY place i stayed in Pattaya , Bangkok , Manila, Angeles City , Cebu , ... 95% of the annoyance ( summarized before ) where due to local activities , not tourists. It might be different in Europe but in Asia thats just laughable.

Asia is noisy by definition so Western tourist can be nice Neighbor because more quiet and also if the rental rate is not 100% some appartment are empty , which is not noisy by definition.

Condominim have rules that should be enough to vote at the yearly assembly to decide wheather short term rental is OK or not. This will give power to the majority so if the majority is doing short term rental its ok for the building.

The real problem is that nobody gives a shit when something goes wrong and its easy to put a blame on foreigners when the local management does not enforce building laws.

For me hotel is a thing from the past.

This will probably impact the condo market because many are built for short term rental. And also Thai governement wants to prevent long term expats so its squeezes the market. But who want to stay in overpriced hotels nowadays in a country

where the fun is gone , if not at the sea side or tourist only spots?

all the reasons you are complaining about for staying at a hotel is exactly why condo owners dont want this happening in their condos. Nobody wants to live in a hotel for long periods but if they allow room rentals by the night in condos then they just became hotels!!

Also hotels are not a thing of the past and not going anywhere. Hotels are not just used for people on going on holiday, they are used by business people all the time for setting up seminars, business meetings etc. A modern hotel has everything a business man needs. A condo being rented even for 1 or 2 days does not have laundry and ironing services or room service or a bar etc. Hotels are not going out of business.

Its mainly seems a fightback from Hotels which i found virtually empty in Pattaya.

As a long time and frequent AirBnb user ( about +50 rentals in different places over 3 years ) i can say its far better value for money than Hotels:

Lot more space , home feel , big TV , no need to deal with incompetent staff.

Try to ask for an extra fan or something like that in a hotel in Thailand ... When you complain on AirBnb you can something rather quickly.

I have beento some hotel before where water was cold year after year and always given the same sorry excuses.

The that Tourist are annoyance in Asia is rubbish in general while it may make sense in minor case like near walking street in Pattaya

For instance i have been staying at 'The Chezz' in Pattaya and the main noise was due to a hen making noise all the day from the house of a long term tenant , if not owner.

Or the noise of local doing Karaoke in the Philippines ,or their uneducated children shouting all the time.

Or the Thai / Korean living next door slamming doors and putting TV loud.

Or the long term expat which like Thai leaves the door open as a cheap charlie not to pay the air con. Whith childrens from his Thai wife shouting , playing in the appartment or when goingto the pool. Or TV switched on while door is open.

Or the perpetual men at work in the building because all long term owners 'supposedly educated' can't agree on common date to make the repair in the building to ensure that some month be completely quiet , without hammer noise

or whatever.

Or noise due to poor maintenance ( swimming pools , lifts , water pipes ) not broken by tourists.

Or the many dogs barking at night in the neighborhood , not dogs from tourists as well.

Who can claim nois manily comes from tourists, seriously? In my experience its just a small contribution to the environmental noise in Asia.

In the MANY place i stayed in Pattaya , Bangkok , Manila, Angeles City , Cebu , ... 95% of the annoyance ( summarized before ) where due to local activities , not tourists. It might be different in Europe but in Asia thats just laughable.

Asia is noisy by definition so Western tourist can be nice Neighbor because more quiet and also if the rental rate is not 100% some appartment are empty , which is not noisy by definition.

Condominim have rules that should be enough to vote at the yearly assembly to decide wheather short term rental is OK or not. This will give power to the majority so if the majority is doing short term rental its ok for the building.

The real problem is that nobody gives a shit when something goes wrong and its easy to put a blame on foreigners when the local management does not enforce building laws.

For me hotel is a thing from the past.

This will probably impact the condo market because many are built for short term rental. And also Thai governement wants to prevent long term expats so its squeezes the market. But who want to stay in overpriced hotels nowadays in a country

where the fun is gone , if not at the sea side or tourist only spots?

all the reasons you are complaining about for staying at a hotel is exactly why condo owners dont want this happening in their condos. Nobody wants to live in a hotel for long periods but if they allow room rentals by the night in condos then they just became hotels!!

Also hotels are not a thing of the past and not going anywhere. Hotels are not just used for people on going on holiday, they are used by business people all the time for setting up seminars, business meetings etc. A modern hotel has everything a business man needs. A condo being rented even for 1 or 2 days does not have laundry and ironing services or room service or a bar etc. Hotels are not going out of business.

You misread my comment. All that happened did happen in a CONDO.

Hotel is even worse because you have to add the all events that occurs in Asia like bands playing loud and singing like dogs , and various other events. The staff passing in the corridor talking and joking.

I did never say that hotel would be out of business , just that AirBnb has a major impact on the hotel industry. Just browse the web about this , there is no doubt about it.

Actually you talk about upper scale hotel which is a niche market regarding TOURISM industry. That is waht we where talking about, tourists, not business.

What total rubbish. This should not impact on hotels/resorts which offer other services.

Really what has an agreement between two or more people have to do with anyone else.

If this is the case in thailand (or maybe Phuket) then maybe the laws need a restructuring.

As much as the agreement someone makes when they buy a condo perhaps.

It is a simple matter that a property sold and bought as a long term residence is being used as a hotel facility without giving due regard to other residents. Many examples of this are given. Your neighbours are in party mood, holiday habits and carouse in and out at all hours and disturb other residents. Thay are likely to have higher occupancy numbers and make use of the pool more than residents. If I buy a condo I would be happier to see other dwellings nearby occasionally occupied by the owner, than frequently occupied by different family every 14 days. If the price is right, most certainly these tourists will use them rather than hotels and resorts. People buy condos because they do not want to live in hotels!

The hi-so hotel owners of Thailand must have lobbied the powers that be because of falling tourism and the rise of Air BnB etc....they are down to their last 50 billion baht.How much longer did they think that they could charge western room rates and pay 19th century wages?These billionaires have yet to get into the 20th century never mind the 21st.It is also laughable that ANYONE in Thailand can complain about illegal hotels....what a frigging joke!They are getting everything they deserve.

Wonder what happens if someone initially wants to rent for a month, then decides once they are here that they will instead stay only for two weeks as the two weeks coincide with their flight plans. How does that get enforced if the initial contract was for a month to comply with the hotels act?

minimum rental one month paid in advance not refundible

I'm not sure who would rent their condo out for less than a month anyway, perhaps to friends and very hard to prove, I don't think this is targeting those people

There are a number of "guest houses" that have rooms for rent on a weekly monthly basis, they are stand alone buildings but not hotels, they are cheaper than hotels, I suspect this is what is being mainly targeted

"I'm not sure who would rent their condo out for less than a month anyway" the millions using AirBnB for a start

The hi-so hotel owners of Thailand must have lobbied the powers that be because of falling tourism and the rise of Air BnB etc....they are down to their last 50 billion baht.How much longer did they think that they could charge western room rates and pay 19th century wages?These billionaires have yet to get into the 20th century never mind the 21st.It is also laughable that ANYONE in Thailand can complain about illegal hotels....what a frigging joke!They are getting everything they deserve.

Huh blink.png you can stay in Bangkok lower Sukhumvit for <$50 a night or Pattaya for $10 a night. Thailand has dirt cheap accommodation .What west do you speak of?

I've always been renting a condotel room in jomtien for 2 - 3 weeks because arrive on 30day visa but spend 1 week in Bangkok doing business etc before & afterwards so how could a full 30days work when almost everybody doesn't stay a full month?

Easy stay in a hotel. That is what they are for. They also pay taxes contributing to the community.

"What ..revenues are being affected by a percent of the tourists staying in condos and not in our hotels.......hmmm...lets invoke the law and force the tourists to stay in our hotels.

And while we are at it lets make up some new laws that further force everyone coming here to stay in hotels only and come to think of it lets rig it like the Tuk Tuk transportation services where the minimum rate for tourist accommodation is $200 dollars per day....good Idea, Nah

Cheers

As someone who lives in a condo and expects it to be a residence and not a hotel, color me thrilled at this news. And, for those TV posters who have, in the past, pointed out that there is nothing in the Condominium Act that prevents daily rentals, please note that it is the Hotel Act that prevents daily rentals. It was not written into the Condominium Act because the Hotel Act covers it but in hindsight it probably should have been in there, too.

Actually the condo act does mention this, in an oblique way:

"Section 17/114 In case that any commercial area is provided within the condominium premises, the access to such area must be arranged to be separate from normal residential access in order to not disturb the peaceful living of co-owners.

No commercial trading shall be conducted in a condominium building except in the commercial area specified in paragraph one."

I dont think that anyone could seriously argue that short-term rentals are anything other than a business. Some would say that even long-term rentals are a business and so are also prohibited by the act.

The act makes numerous references to "residential", and clearly supposes the usage of condo units to be residential and not commercial.

Thais are not good at writing clear concise text, even in English, and this is a shame.

Since my post has been deleted I will have to re-post.

How can you say it is off-topic? From the responses, you would think that this only happens in Thailand.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-airbnb-complaints-orange-county-20160519-story.html

Here is a quote from the article:

In Orlando, code does not specify what a short-term rental is, said spokeswoman Cassandra Lafser. If a complaint comes to the city, it would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

In Key West, a license is required to operate rentals less than 30 days.

This gives some perspective to people jumping on the tea money bandwagon. These laws are not only in Thailand. What would the outrage be if the Thai article would read " complaints are reviewed case-by-case."

But if Thailand bashing is the norm, and there is no room to give some perspective, then by all means delete this post again.

Yes yes...we hear you but it is not so much about enforcing the frivolous laws for the benefit of the citizens at large rather it is the intent that is being questioned, it is the intent that is being scrutinized.

It seems that you and others do not realize this effort made by the authorities to enforce the regulations and laws are not based on enforcing the regulations of the Hotel Act for any worthwhile legitimate reasons rather they are throwing their weight around and bullying people into having to stay in hotels rather than choosing to stay in a condo....or say a bed and breakfast affair that could be offered.

The sensible thing to do and what is done in other countries that have a large flow of tourist coming and going is to request the citizens owning condos or houses or properties that could or would rent out those properties on a short time basis to obtain a yearly license for a reasonable registration / licensing fee.

If not done that way then everything does and or will go underground and considered illegal and then the whole innocent affair is criminalized....such is the stupid decision making of the powers that are and the authorities that have vested interests in making sure there is less competition or no other alternatives....all in the guise of enforcing the laws and doing a proper job of it while they can argue they are doing the right thing according to the law...but resulting in their monetary favor and monetary benefit..... of course.

Real smart...criminalize it rather than accommodate it.

Cheers

As someone who is in a long term rental I support this. The residents where I live have to put up with transient people who having adopted the 'but I'm on holiday so it doesn't matter' mode show little consideration for others.

Drunks in the pool at 4 am are a pain in the backside- they can sleep in all day, we live 'normal lives. Screaming kids running around the pool all day can get on the nerves as well. One badly behaved child can hold an entire complex hostage

People initially bought the condos where I live on the premise that they would be for residents, not transients. Most have changed hands now, with those purchasing them as investment and income opportunities. This is what the Gov't is clamping down on and I see nothing wrong with it.

Some people will regard me as a misery guts for posting the above but hotels are there for a reason. This is my HOME not a holiday, why should I have it disrupted by people who would not behave the same way when they are HOME.

Its a factor people forget when they start bellyaching and all they can come up with 'well, if you don't like it...............'.

on the premise

Was this in writing, or your own assumption?

people who would not behave the same way when they are HOME.

How do you know that, and you could also have lng term people who also rent with you who behave the same.

My advice is for you to stay somewhere else.

on the premise

Was this in writing, or your own assumption?

people who would not behave the same way when they are HOME.

How do you know that, and you could also have lng term people who also rent with you who behave the same.

My advice is for you to stay somewhere else.

When our condo was struggling with illegal short term rentals things go south very quickly starting with rubbish being dumped in the corridors, cigarette butts every where and on occasions up to 7 Indians /Pakistanis staying in one studio, not being racist here just telling it the way it is and a puts a strain on the condo infrastructure. And then if your really lucky your holiday sex tourist is having orgies in the Condo next door.

"lng term people who also rent with you who behave the same."

You have never owned a property , thats pretty clear as you would know there are proper channels to go through to sort out problem neighbors at the condo juristic department however you cannot control short term renters because the are gone and replaced before anything can be done about it.

"My advice is for you to stay somewhere else".

My advice to you is to think things through a bit better. How ignorant can you get?

The sensible thing to do and what is done in other countries that have a large flow of tourist coming and going is to request the citizens owning condos or houses or properties that could or would rent out those properties on a short time basis to obtain a yearly license for a reasonable registration / licensing fee.

No disagreement with that, as long as they also get agreement from the owners of the other units in the building, whose rights are also affected when they have to share their homes with transients who, by the nature of holiday making, may not behave in a manner compatible with the peaceful enjoyment of the other owners' hard earned investment.

For those posters thumping their chests about their right to do whatever they want with their condo, including renting it out daily, a reminder that you bought a residence, not a hotel room, and one that comes with condo rules to be obeyed, such as no pets, in some cases. An earlier poster mentioned raising pigs and I'll use it, too. If you want to raise pigs, buy a pig farm. If you want to rent rooms daily, buy a hotel or guesthouse. You knew going in that there were rules and laws involved with condo ownership so it's a bit weak to protest after the fact. A lot of the postings have focused on the daily renters being noisy, behaving badly, and not obeying the condo rules and that is a huge problem but it's more than that. If you have a condo with 500 units and just 10% are being offered for daily rental, that means potentially 50 to 100 people or more a day milling about in the lobby with all their luggage waiting to be let into the condos. It means potentially 50-100 people a day moving in and out with all that luggage banging about everything because they don't care--they don't live there and will be gone in a day or two. It means the condos need to be cleaned daily so 50 strange cleaners roaming the hallways with their cleaning carts--and damaging the walls and elevators going in and out all the time. It means 50-100 clueless renters going to the reception desk bothering the staff and wasting staff time asking for another roll of toilet paper and more towels or to solve tourist problems. It means clueless or lazy daily renters not knowing where the trash room is so they leave their smelly trash in the hallway for the 'hotel staff' to remove. It means lazy or too-busy condo owners calling the reception desk and asking staff to 'check-in' their daily renters and show them to their rooms because they aren't there to do it. Meanwhile, regular condo residents have to wade through all this when they go to reception with a normal condo problem. Hope you're getting the picture. There's a reason daily/weekly rentals are against the law with condos and I hope the law will start to be enforced in Pattaya.

For those posters thumping their chests about their right to do whatever they want with their condo, including renting it out daily, a reminder that you bought a residence, not a hotel room, and one that comes with condo rules to be obeyed, such as no pets, in some cases. An earlier poster mentioned raising pigs and I'll use it, too. If you want to raise pigs, buy a pig farm. If you want to rent rooms daily, buy a hotel or guesthouse. You knew going in that there were rules and laws involved with condo ownership so it's a bit weak to protest after the fact. A lot of the postings have focused on the daily renters being noisy, behaving badly, and not obeying the condo rules and that is a huge problem but it's more than that. If you have a condo with 500 units and just 10% are being offered for daily rental, that means potentially 50 to 100 people or more a day milling about in the lobby with all their luggage waiting to be let into the condos. It means potentially 50-100 people a day moving in and out with all that luggage banging about everything because they don't care--they don't live there and will be gone in a day or two. It means the condos need to be cleaned daily so 50 strange cleaners roaming the hallways with their cleaning carts--and damaging the walls and elevators going in and out all the time. It means 50-100 clueless renters going to the reception desk bothering the staff and wasting staff time asking for another roll of toilet paper and more towels or to solve tourist problems. It means clueless or lazy daily renters not knowing where the trash room is so they leave their smelly trash in the hallway for the 'hotel staff' to remove. It means lazy or too-busy condo owners calling the reception desk and asking staff to 'check-in' their daily renters and show them to their rooms because they aren't there to do it. Meanwhile, regular condo residents have to wade through all this when they go to reception with a normal condo problem. Hope you're getting the picture. There's a reason daily/weekly rentals are against the law with condos and I hope the law will start to be enforced in Pattaya.

You nailed it. Outstanding post

Not to mention Hookers and the odd lady boy roaming the building at all hours of the night. I hope Pattaya sorts it out but it really needs to start with the owners. We had endless meetings among ourselves and pushed hard against management that were not receptive and it actually took years to enforce.

totally agree. i was looking for a condo,looked at a nice one at Onnut, the pool was busy, lots of kids running riot, i popped into reception to see people with suitcases, funny, i thought, we shared a courtesy tuk tuk back to tesco lotus, ( i was with a thai speaker) a girl from the complex said to my friend, you are not going to buy here are you ? she said every 2 weeks 4 bus loads of holiday makers arrive, create mayhem then 2 weeks later 4 more bus loads arrive, she said the ones who have bought and are living there full time, are up in arms about it , and are stuck with their condos.

In the article, there's a lot of references to acts being illegal, while explicit references to specific clauses of the law are notably missing.

For example, the statement that “a condo...can be rented out for periods of 30 days or longer – but cannot be rented out on a daily basis".

There's actually no such stipulation in the Condo act.

And as to the Hotel act, it would be interesting to know exactly which aspect is infringed. There's a duty to inform authorities about unlicensed operation due to legal exception, but condo owners may in principle have done that.

The hi-so hotel owners of Thailand must have lobbied the powers that be because of falling tourism and the rise of Air BnB etc.

Indeed it does seem quite likely that the push comes from wealthy hotel owners/operators. In Thailand, laws are not infrequently enforced for the convenience of some individual or group, rather than by principle.

I guess that's about the same thing as getting a one year student visa but in reality, you are not studying and just working illegally to try and get around the immigration laws.

Let's consider airbnb will be an easy way to track these 'illegal' renters.

They get busted. Condos get sold en masse in BKK etc. The laundry money built projects that already stand near empty in Chiang Mai to name but one, become valueless as their bank debt goes unpaid.

Property market collapses, becomes jokingly known as the poverty market.

What then Thailand?

To the owners of private condos. Airbnb happily works for neighbours everywhere else in the world. But of course TIT.

I don't understand you. If you don't want to be around people, what are you doing in a condo? You should have bought/rented a house outside the city, away from other houses. You shouldn't be upset about children being noisy etc. if you are living in a condo community.

If a person does or doesn't want to be around people, who am I to ask why? What a person "should have bought" seems to be the purchasers business, unless I pay their way. Should and shouldn't seem a poor choice of words, when directed to someone I have never met or have no influence over.

Unlike you, I have a pair of testicles and I can clearly state what someone should or shouldn't be doing. Someone who doesn't like noise should not be living close to other people. I had a friend back in farangland who rented an apartment near a bar...then he called the police every night complaining of the loud thump thump thump of the bass. He clearly should not have rented that apartment. Don't live in a condo if you don't like noise. Buy a piece of land on a rice farm in the middle of nowhere if you don't like people.

I'm not sure what testicles have to do with this. If you elect to live in a condo you accept to live by the condo rules and by civilised social standards, basically not to disturb your neighbours.

If you for any reason cannot do this you live in house where you can do what you want when you want without disturbing anyone.

Archived