‘Do you think we’ll pay for bad things we’ve done?’ Revelations of Aussie sex tourists in Thailand

webfact

These sex addicts are, like all addicts, totally selfish and most are in denial.

They don't care about ruining the young woman's life. I've seen first hand the problems these girls get into with drugs and alcohol as I worked voluntarily in a drug rehab centre.

The best thing would be to start an SAA or sex anonymous meeting in Pattaya to try to help these old men.

My vote for most stupid self serving thing I have read this week

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thousands, if not millions of foreign men have fallen in love with bar-girls and tried to "help" them. What makes this hero so different? Oh right, he doesn't have sex with them. That's pretty much it. He still hangs out in the same place doing the same thing.

Fella, did you switch your brain on this morning? This guy goes "undercover" to identify the illegally trafficked girls and then rescues them. Can you not see the difference between that and some dirty old git drooling over the young girls with a view to taking them back to their condos to have sex?

I can, I would imagine anyone else probably can too.

These sex addicts are, like all addicts, totally selfish and most are in denial.

They don't care about ruining the young woman's life. I've seen first hand the problems these girls get into with drugs and alcohol as I worked voluntarily in a drug rehab centre.

The best thing would be to start an SAA or sex anonymous meeting in Pattaya to try to help these old men.

Difficult as most of these men simply defend their behaviour with really poor excuses. They need to actually think they need help before they can get it.

I guess the best thing to do is attach the stigma to it so the use of prostitutes becomes the most disgusting behaviour for anyone, create the shame and people change,, eventually.

My vote for most stupid self serving thing I have read this week

Why stupid and why self serving?

Certainly appear to be a lot of Thai Visa posters who get very defensive (and more than a little incoherent) about all of this and feel the need to get angry at "Dan."

Definitely a case of shooting the messenger because you don't want to hear the message.

The [farang] doth protest too much, methinks.

Tourists (Western and Asian) make up for about 5% of the total population in Thailand that avails of prostitution. Ain't no big deal here!

Do you think that the sex trade here is ok? Or do you think it needs to be tackled? Because from the amount of prostitutes I see here and the amount of sex tourists, or even retirees who are latched onto these poor girls looks like a problem to me.

It’s an issue that has caught the attention of several organisations and ministry groups around Thailand such as Night Light International, and the MST Project, both of which aim to provide support to male sex tourists.

Help me Dan, for I have sinned. It has been 2 days since my last confession. Father Dan, I need help, I'm addicted to sex. I've tried everything to control my desires, looking at pictures of Donald Trump and PM Prayuth but to no avail. Maybe I should take up some form of yoga or massage theropy. Massage, yes, soapy massage, ohh, thanks Dan, I'm going out for a while be back later with a full confession.

Amen.

Wow, that's just so hilarious. coffee1.gif

It paints all the expats over here with the same brush....that is not good....some of us are here because we can live a lifestyle no longer affordable in our home countries.....there are many positive reasons....the climate, the food, the cost of accommodation.

The brothels are only a small percentage, and yes, they have them back in the west as well.....most Australian newspapers have scores of prostitutes advertising their services....like a telephone box in the U.K covered in hookers call me for a good time cards.

It's also very unfair for the Thai people, who have this reputation around the world as being nothing but hookers.

Truth is, Dan should clean up his own back yard first...maybe he can stamp out the worlds oldest profession...I doubt it.

Edited by namatjira

this is just a made up story to get us guys angry. to a point some guys are disappointed with their lives in thailand, but you never see them going home so it cant be that bad. people just like to bitch and moan when they have nothing much else going on in their life. not me. i moved here 10 years ago at the age of 32. 10 years later and i have supported many single mothers 1000thb at a time. i got to know some of them quite well and never once did i get the impression any of them had been trafficked. i am now supporting my own 2 kids and their mum who i met on the game in pattaya. as for the pattaya plunge the whole thing is very suspicious. westerners dont typically use jumping as the preferred method of checking out back home. better play safe and make sure you are worth more alive to your 'loved' ones and i suspect the chance of falling diminishes.

Lots of aspects to the sex industry in Thailand. People of all levels of society benefit from its craziness. Those who own the land under the nightspots get a nice cheque every month without the label of being involved in the sex of it. Who are these folks? One of them was the man in the following link who died recently. He happened to be very connected to military governments and the Democrat party of Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_Nana

I came here a month after the tsunami expecting to buy a few jet skis and live under a coconut tree on the beach.(dreamer) instead I've been financially raped and live on coconuts now.also do I count as a sex tourist as I used to pick the older wrinkly ones until the one I've got now got her claws into me and my life savings.also I'm being forced into marrying her and need to be rescued before it's too late.i tried phoning a hot line number for help but they were all out shagging around.

I think most responders have missed the main point here about sex with UNDERAGE girls/children who are being paraded as 'adult' workers. I have no problem with sex between consenting adults whether its paid for or free but when young girls are forced into the industry and don't even get what they earn because some pimp does...that is cruel exploitation indeed and it should be stopped.

And just how many skeletons are in the closet of the bible set's staff. These folks obviously do some good work, but seriously the concept that these activists (can they be called that?) represent hands is far too dirty to ever give it moral superiority over those people it is attempting to vilify, and demonize here

Why is it that you refer to someone trying to help as displaying moral superiority?

The people who pay for sex with these young girls need to think about the consequences. There are thousands and thousands of documents and studies that show how harmful the industry is. Not to mention the crime that surrounds the industry, the people who traffic, money laundering and often commit violent crimes. You can find all the information for yourself and read hundreds of stories from prostitutes who were rescued and their personal account of how terrible it as to be trapped in the industry.

This guy is not spouting an moral superiority, he is just doing what he can to help.

Tourists (Western and Asian) make up for about 5% of the total population in Thailand that avails of prostitution. Ain't no big deal here!

Do you think that the sex trade here is ok? Or do you think it needs to be tackled? Because from the amount of prostitutes I see here and the amount of sex tourists, or even retirees who are latched onto these poor girls looks like a problem to me.

Yes , it is ok, I am a libertarian so I believe we should be free to choose our own path, "Dan" claims to be a rescuer of trafficted non consensual girls, no problem with that but this article and your attitude go way beyond that, you advocate shame and blame for people indulging in their chosen , consensual life style. The problem is within you. I don't even participate in the bar girl scene as I find it boring and anti erotic but I have no problem with others trying to find their happiness, maybe you are just burdened by a puritanicle mindset?

"It is the nature of the universe to make all things equal in the end"

In my life experiences it is a most definite YES. When a person does something bad to another or against nature it will come back on then a hundred times as much.

"What goes around, comes around"

You have very limited experience then. I know several people (foreigners aswell as Thais) whom have committed countless atrocities in their lifetime but are now living fat and happy in their golden years. Karma might work for poor small time crooks but it definately doesn't for the wealthy elite.

Does "Undercover Dan" also visit the secret brothels and backstreet shacks where fat Mama Sans cater exclusively to Chinese/Thai customers? There, in the shadow, where the true child abuse and trafficking is going on? No? Thought so, because "Undercover Dan" would either be found dead in a ditch some day, but most likely not even find those places, letting alone his "cover" been blown within minutes...

This said, and knowing that a fair percentage of Thai hookers are in it for the money, being too lazy to do some real work and because they are addicted to the red light and disco scene, where recognition and cash rewards come easy, I'd say, "Sod off Danny Boy, and tackle the social problems in your home country!"

Edited by MockingJay

Yes , it is ok, I am a libertarian so I believe we should be free to choose our own path, "Dan" claims to be a rescuer of trafficted non consensual girls, no problem with that but this article and your attitude go way beyond that, you advocate shame and blame for people indulging in their chosen , consensual life style. The problem is within you. I don't even participate in the bar girl scene as I find it boring and anti erotic but I have no problem with others trying to find their happiness, maybe you are just burdened by a puritanicle mindset?

My attitude is within the scope of the article, how does it go way beyond that?

You are entitled to you views, for me it is often as simple as wrong is wrong, that does make me puritanical just because I think prostitution and the sex trade overall is wrong, you can't possible draw that conclusion from my views on 1 issue.

I too have no problem with others trying to find their happiness. I don't disagree with that as long as they are not hurting anybody, and in the case of using young women for sex they most certainly are. You can call it "liberal" but I think it looks like naivety on your part.

Perhaps you should research the real effect of this industry on the women and have a rethink about the mens right to seek happiness in this way.

As hard as it may be for some people to believe, I know three farang guys (just off the top of my head) who met Thai women in bars, married them, had kids and are still married after 15-20 years. The experiences of both foreign men and Thai women involved in the "industry" vary widely but so many moral crusaders want to paint one picture and claim that it applies universally to every one. Yes, there are many exploited women who need to be rescued, just as there are many who do not fit the stereotype.

I do think that world has slowly become more and more hardcore and unappealing as the years have gone by, but these types of articles still strike me as more than a little shallow and sensationalistic.

Thousands, if not millions of foreign men have fallen in love with bar-girls and tried to "help" them. What makes this hero so different? Oh right, he doesn't have sex with them. That's pretty much it. He still hangs out in the same place doing the same thing.

Fella, did you switch your brain on this morning? This guy goes "undercover" to identify the illegally trafficked girls and then rescues them. Can you not see the difference between that and some dirty old git drooling over the young girls with a view to taking them back to their condos to have sex?

I can, I would imagine anyone else probably can too.

What makes you think anyone wants to be "rescued?" Are you really so superior and patronizing that you think people can't make up their own minds about what they want to do?

Your post is laden with stereotyping. "Drooling old git?"

Your drooling old gits derive their pleasure from physical intimacy and Dan from his own moral congratulations. He is identically the same as a sex tourist. He is one. If not for hookers, would he even be in Thailand?

How about you ascribe women some personal agency and stop your sexist condemnations of their personal choices. Your post is laden with social constructs of victim-hood and exploitation but you don't know anything about it except what you infer from your biases and stereotypes.

Compassion and empathy are good qualities, and nice it "gets him off" to try to "rescue" these girls. I do wish to point out that he is only treating the symptoms, that being sex for sale. He does get part of it right: being raped an abused (usually by a Thai, I assume). When that is combined with broken educational system, what else can a poor girl do?

If he really wanted change, he would need to change Thai culture and education. That would get him thrown out of the country. As it stands now, he is harmless.

Very sad story and hats off to someone trying to help the women who are trapped and broken.

My personal view is the whole sex trade industry is sickening. I am in Pattaya for work reasons (yes there are legitimate companies here) but you cannot help but see the sex industry here as it is so widespread.

There is little point in trying to appeal to men who use prostitutes on a forum like this. Most will simply defend the situation, often aggressively or even with abuse as we have seen on some of these posts already. I would be happy to see someone post on here that they have used prostitutes here but they are re thinking their lifestyle after really understanding the damage the industry does and knowing that they had lost their own way in life, but it is not going to happen.

Instead you will get the lame argument "they send money home", "I am helping the women who have no other choices" or some such excuse, all of which just doesn't wash. Or even attacking people who want to help because they are "bible bashers" or "do gooders", every one of these easily dismissed by anyone with half a brain and who is really thinking straight, but you will still hear it time and time again anyway.

Not sure what will actually trigger any reasonable man caught up in it all to stop and think about what they are doing and to consider that it is wrong.

I think there are many men who are lost and who have completely ruined their old lives thinking that the grass is greener.

I have been an expat for many years and i have seen so many times men who come over to Asia, wife and kids back home and they very quickly hook up with an Asian girlfriend. I know of 2 guys I worked with in Hong Kong, both married prostitutes from China and dumped their families back home. BOTH now have new girlfriends on the side leaving their new wives at home as much as possible.

Some men will never learn to assess what they have and appreciate life as it is. They consider life boring or uneventful and cannot help but keep putting themselves on a path of self destruction, often taking poor unfortunates with them leaving a trail of crap behind. I actually feel quite sorry for most of them, never happy, never contented, always looking for the better deal and never contented, and one day they suddenly find they are now old men full of bitterness and defending their frequent use of prostitutes.

So, hats off to this guy who spends his life trying to help. Can't say I would want to do it and see that side of the World everyday, it would depress me in no time.

I would hazard a guess sunshine you have been burnt big time by some little piece of local ass. If you are so empathetic to the plight of these trapped and broken women as you put it, why do you continually only use the derogatory term prostitute when referring to these poor little darlings?

Seriously? Blokes get old. Yes they could be lonely. Wife could be gone, kids have moved on, plenty of mates dead. That's life but we would you rather be? In some pub or RSL in Sydney on your pat? Or halfway up some bird in Pattaya? Gee let me think....

You have problems mate. Do you ever stop to think about that "bird you are halfway up"? Do you think she is happy with some baldy old Bruce "up her"?

Like another poster said - DENIAL. I met a guy once from the Gold Coast who told me he moved to Pattaya for the nice beach.

I try to have some compassion for them, but when they come onto a public internet forum and talk about these girls as less than human I must admit it's hard.

Was being slightly facetious but my point is for some who don't have much else living in Pattaya may just be a better option than living in Sydney. Sorry don't have much sympathy for girls that choose to work in that profession no one forces them into it, though they still deserve to be still treated well and respectfully. Oh and on another note I have zero problems mate you know nothing about me. I just happen to be happily married with 2 children that mean the world to me, I just think it's ridiculous how much flak some of the old guys cop for their life choices. If they are we they want to be they are happy and not abusing anyone up to <deleted> them I say. Now how about pulling your head in and stop being so judgemental of people you know nothing about.. Mate.

Seriously? Blokes get old. Yes they could be lonely. Wife could be gone, kids have moved on, plenty of mates dead. That's life but we would you rather be? In some pub or RSL in Sydney on your pat? Or halfway up some bird in Pattaya? Gee let me think....

If Ozy women could get over the idea that now they're older than 40 "its" all healed up, and gave a little respect to the person who has supported them for most of their lives and ignored the bitter, twisted sisters at bingo then maybe, just maybe the "old man" might not want to go down the pub or trot off to foreign climes??

Besides, what's the problem? Older men looking for younger women? Older women looking for younger men? Happens everyday all over the world, these blue nose, guilt ridden wowsers are the bane of people who just want to get on with their lives!

Why don't they just buy a cat or a turtle? smile.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif