Tuk-tuk mows down Kazakh tourist on Hua Hin zebra crossing

webfact

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have stopped at that crossing, put my hazards on to warn other drivers and yet still had to put my hand up to warn pedestrians to wait as I could see a car on my right with no intention of slowing down......my worry is that I may be causing more harm than good by stopping, which is a ludicrous situation to be in.....would I be accountable if, god forbid, someone was hurt?

I have done the same and time and again you see a car in the other lane drive through. They either have to build an overpass or have someone actually there to stop the traffic. Pedestrian crossings are a hazard in Thailand

What can they do??

A few hundred meters after, there is a traffic light for pedestrians, well when they have to stop they don't care and if possible they accelerate, that's the average thai driving style, and my experience after staying decades in LOS.

And only a hundred meters away is a pedestrian bridge. Of course you can make such silly things and install bumpers obstructing the trafic in this aera even more. Or you can use the public offered safe road passing option. If not and you have good eyes and fast legs you can pass the road by foot. But don't complain if it did not work. The government is not responsible for everything. Everyone has an own responsibility in the first stage!

They should change the laws.
Permit for pedestrians
to carry weapons and permission to shoot without penalty in self-defense at cars, tuk tuks and motorcycle riders who try to kill you on zebra crossings.
Problem would then resolve itself.

Thailand is a <deleted> disgrace when it comes to Thai driver's flaunting Highway Rules, i.e. Jumping red lights, not stopping at crossing's the list goes on and on. No one's safe, pedestrians, motorcyclists, whoever!

RIP Kazakh man.

I concur, lawless, flat out stupid along with arrogant, followed with aggressive defensive attitude of flagrant behaviour; I'm just taking rear vision mirrors off now (they don't use them) yep real funny - I can care equally if not less than any Thai, just test me wacko.png Keep your wits about you one and all

a great shame, i think it should be written in the travel brochures that in this country NO ONE stops for you on a crosssing, people come here and do not know this, crossings are one of the most dangerous places for pedestrians

YES! A Large Sign in both English and Thai. posted around airports, advising that No one gives way at a zebra crossing.

An ounce of prevention.....why not paint zig-zag lines for 20 metres or so, before each zebra crossing. This is done in many countries, and is also a no stopping or parking area.

However, pedestrians are given scant regard: look at the state of the paths, signs and advertising filling the walking areas. Possible a slightly higher priority than moving beach umbrellas.

A sign simply stating NO ONE GIVES A <deleted> THERE IS NO LAW FOR NATIONALS ? would be more appropriate, the rhetoric and xenophobia that is displayed by the big boss implies, farang mean nothing while inside the kingdom - but if the story gets out and costs them money ermm.gif something then may allude to positive action toward tourism.

I wonder how Thai's can be so polite but will never give way to anyone. Either in cars or even going through a doorway. They don't seem to understand that if I approach a doorway and am partway through it there is insufficent room for them to pass as well, but they won't stop, just push through anyway. Same on the roads - I flashed my lights, I'm coming through. To hell with you!! Where is the legendary politeness in that?

I'll try with my own explanation for the driving part at least (never experienced the doorway thing myself): because many people just switch their brains to a different mode when they are behind the wheel, and it's not -by far- only a Thai thing. I know quite a few polite, educated, peaceful and caring people here in the west who become completely different persons when driving, aggressive, careless etc. especially if in a hurry.

However, this is much worse in Thailand because they don't have the fear of police. You can jump stop signs, red lights etc with almost zero chance of being caught. In the west, the risk of getting caught and facing big fines and points being taken from your driving license tends to moderate people's attitudes.

I'm not convinced this is entirely the fault of the terrible driving in Thailand.

Are Kazakhstan roads mostly used by fast moving traffic? From what I have seen they get around on donkey carts and old bicycles/motorbikes.

Hi Chi Min looks like a formidable place to cross the road when you first arrive, but it is fairly easy and much safer than in Thailand, as people give way or make space and nobody seems to speed.

The tuk tuk was doing what almost all Thai drivers do, I guess Mr. Kobet wasn't aware of the local customs...

RIP.

WPFflags.gif

they should put barriers the same as they have for level crossings. The problem with drivers here they have no patience the way they drive they think there will be no tomorrow also cameras should be installed on traffic lights more money for the local government

What commonly happens at this crossing is foreign tourists simply raise their hand when crossing the road and expect the cars to stop. They start to walk across the street before the cars even stop. Extremely dangerous.

Thailand is a <deleted> disgrace when it comes to Thai driver's flaunting Highway Rules, i.e. Jumping red lights, not stopping at crossing's the list goes on and on. No one's safe, pedestrians, motorcyclists, whoever!

RIP Kazakh man.

Exactly right, saw a close call yesterday where a driver in a car nearly killed a motorcyclist when he jumped the red light. It could have been me but I was daydreaming, counting those without helmets going through and noticing some of the tricks they do to avoid waiting.

A shame the preference seems to be to accept deaths and injuries over the inconvenience of active policing that isn't purely a money making exercise.

Can anyone tell me what the actual law states (layman terms) as far as the zebra crossings? As a resident of Hua Hin I wait at these crossing for the traffic to pass because no one stops anyway. Education and enforcement needed

http://www.krisdika.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/bf71ba004ba0f3aa96529e8b4221fda7/Road_Traffic_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=bf71ba004ba0f3aa96529e8b4221fda7

http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0140_5.pdf

Come on...This is Thailand...what did you expect...law abiding citizens ...no way.

Meantime there is probably only one or maybe 2 ways to make them stop.

Instead of a small red dot up there in the air that does not register in their brains what is needed is a large, red colored, flashing image of a water buffalo.

If that does not work then try the same idea but display a large, red colored flashing image of a Plate of Som Tam...as that will surely get their attentions.

Cheers

Nothing will be done.

Next.

Exactly, nothing 0 , zilch.

Thai drivers do not stop for pedestrian crossings, nor do they stop at roundabouts, they dont know the law, the road rules or care.

This is the fault of the ones that rule the roost, a massive road campaign, road education and policing need to occur.

The ruling ones do not care and are to busy with other matters that generate well being for the purse.

RIP Kazakh man.

HIGHWAY RULES??? LOL!!!.....Somchai had no rules driving his water buffalo so why change mod of operation in a vehicle.......RIP402.gif

'The store management at Market Village and the local authority need to get together to do something about it."' I don't know what it has to do with store management; nor, directly, with the local authority. It has everything to do with a far too large majority of Thai drivers' total ignorance of road rules, road signs, road markings (likely the tuk-tuk driver, no doubt one of those taking up space outside the Market Village, wanted to secure his 'parking spot') and driving knowledge and skills in general. And that is down to the government and the DLT to address, preferably by imposing and enforcing rigid driving standards equal to those of countries whose laws incredulously permit Thais to drive on their roads, courtesy of a Thai licence. Of course, the age-old problem is the unbridgeable chasm between practical common sense and Thai mai pen rai.

As for an accident blackspot, I know the location, having stayed close by. In any country where drivers demonstrate half-decent driving skills, it doesn't meet the criteria usually accorded to one of those. Being a straight section of road, however, the majority of drivers approach the crossing as though it were the markings for an F1 track, but minus the associated ability of an F1 driver, and in complete ignorance of what the black and white stripes actually represent.

No doubt when I next visit, it'll be unchanged from when I was last there.

True, it is a straight section of road and the tuk tuk at fault here, drove in the direction from Hua Hin to Kao Takiab when he hit the tourist,

I was there that day, just coming out of Market Village. It was a clear and light sunny day and I cannot understand how this happened other than the Kazakh did not look to the left before he crossed. There is no other explanation.

People need to realise road marked crossings are irrelevant in Thailand.

They are not same as similar crossings in Western countries, where it is compulsory for vehicle to give way to pedestrians.

The fundamental in Thailand is you cross a road at your own risk; irrespective of markings or traffic lights!

They are exactly the same as in Western countries. The law states that they must stop, however this is not enforced or followed.

Unfortunately, Thailand's Road Traffic Act, in English sometimes called Land Traffic Act, does not seem to state that vehicles must stop at pedestrian crossings or give way to pedestrians, except at a pedestrian crossing after turning left or right where the traffic light has a green arrow to indicate the direction to turn (Section 22):

Meaning of traffic light:

Green arrow: the driver shall drive in the direction of the green arrow, but shall be careful to give way to crossing pedestrians or other vehicles.

For other pedestrian crossings, the driver must merely slow down when approaching them, be careful not to hit pedestrians and honk if necessary, not overtake within a distance of 30 metres from a pedestrian crossing (Sections 32, 46, 70) unless, of course, there is a red traffic light at the crossing telling the drivers to stop.

Road Traffic Act 2522, in Thai:

Road Traffic Act 2522 - th.pdf

English translation:

Road (Land) Traffic Act 2522 - en.pdf

ANOTHER DEATH HERE YESTERDAY!...2 deaths in 2 days!..Another pedestrian killed..Sad,sad loss..my condolences to the greiving families.

(Hua hin Amphur will no doubt hold an emergency meeting & in about 5 years from now there MAY be a footbridge/walkway there)

It is all on the government. If they wanted to fix this, they would. It is another blatant reminder of just how little they care about the average person here.

Upholding and applying the law has nothing at all to do with the government. They make the laws, not enforce them. Enforcing is done by the police. Or, in Thailand, not enforced as that is too much work for them and they get paid anyway so why bother actually doing the job.

Enforcing is only done if you have an effective police force, which you do not have here, due to chronic underfunding by the government. All the blame falls on them. All. When a starting policeman makes 8,000 baht per month, virtually the same, or less than a cashier at Tesco, one cannot expect efficiency, motivation, honesty, competence, nor enforcement of the law. It really is that simple. Train them well, pay them well, give them the proper equipment, and spend the hundreds of billions of baht per year required to run an effective national police department, or do not call yourself a legitimate government, that is concerned one iota for the people.

RIP Kazakh man.

This is mainly because there are no policemen with the proper training in vehicular traffic.Their main training consist of collecting the brown envelops.traffic fines are of such low income for the BIB that they just choose to ignore them as it takes up their time of collecting those envelops.Thus the Thai drivers know that they will rarely get fined for a traffic violation so they will continue to drive with the Thai "Me First" attitude.

Traffic lights.... pfffft! Nothing less than boom gates would be enough for a pedestrian to place any faith in.

Even then, given their intelligence, they would drive through. Have you ever seen them at rail crossings, they won't stop at those gates unless they cover both lanes. Honestly when it comes to driving, and I am not Thai bashing, I think the majority of drivers have on and off switches, instead of brains. They just turn themselves on of a morning and off at night, anything in between is meaningless. I carried out an experiment the other day, at the local supermarket, used the PC and pushed a trolley out in front, car did not stop despite hitting the trolley. So what hope does anyone have?

Traffic lights.... pfffft! Nothing less than boom gates would be enough for a pedestrian to place any faith in.

Even then, given their intelligence, they would drive through. Have you ever seen them at rail crossings, they won't stop at those gates unless they cover both lanes. Honestly when it comes to driving, and I am not Thai bashing, I think the majority of drivers have on and off switches, instead of brains. They just turn themselves on of a morning and off at night, anything in between is meaningless. I carried out an experiment the other day, at the local supermarket, used the PC and pushed a trolley out in front, car did not stop despite hitting the trolley. So what hope does anyone have?

That is just the way it is here,you have to assume that if you see two green eyes looking at you from out of the Thai jungle it may not be a tiger,it could be two one eyed tigers.

And in the evenings on Threppasit road, Pattaya that is exactly what you'll find at one crossing. Barriers are slid across the road to stop traffic and allowing tourists to cross and visit the market. Excellent idea but requires manpower.

RIP the Kazakh guy.

Archived