UK Pension -Proof of Life

Thailand

2 Years ago did it at Bangkok Bank in Tesco Lotus, not even my main branch. Asked again on Friday for the recent one and it was as if I was robbing the bank, panic all around!

Today a friend went to his own branch of Bangkok Bank in Hangdong and was also refused.

I will be trying at my home branch in KSG later this week. Anyone else getting similar responses?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just received the same form, my local Pharmacist signed it for me

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

Yes I got one the other day,got the Dentist at the top of the road

to sign and put his chop on for me.

The one before that took 3 weeks to arrived and was required

to be returned in 4 weeks from date it was posted,had to send

it EMS,this last on has an 8 weeks return date,which is more

sensible.

regards Worgeordie

UOB will not place their 'Chop' on any non bank certificate, despite that they are only stating that YOU signed in their presence, not that you are who you say you are.

Got a friendly policeman to sign mine.

john

Some banks, depending on who you speak too, are paranoic about witnessing anything.

Mr Sombat at BB,KSK will sort it out

Agreed, he does seem to be the go to guy. In the meantime got mine done by an accountant. My friend is wheelchair bound but will be attending his doctor this week and will get it done there.

I got one at the weekend but I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and I am not sure who to go to.

I bank at the local KBank 6 km away but the English ability is a bit lacking there.

Do/did you/they write their address in English or Thai?

Been doing mine at Bangkok Bank 2nd Road Pattaya for many years, always the same man at the bank. Last year he warned me he would no longer be able to do it and sure enough I was refused this year as he said the Bank has changed it's policy.

Been with my local branch of Bangkok Bank for over 34 years. First opened an account there when I used to visit Thailand as a tourist and later fixed accounts when I came here permanently, the staff know me by my first name, I speak Thai and always have my accounts well stacked.

Early last year had to renew my British passport and on the form required a countersignature. No problem I thought, I`ll ask them at my bank. Took the form into the bank, asked if someone in there who knows me could counter sign the form and all I received was a cannot. No explanation, just cannot. After that I almost decided to close my accounts with that bank, but what`s the point I thought. In the end I asked a Thai friend who is a teacher.

Seems this is now a general policy of all the banks, not to commit to anything that is not directly linked to the banking business.

what age do you have to be before you get your first ---proof of life request ....??

Thanks

I got my first one at the age of 72 and it is for the state pension.

I have 2 other pension providers but nothing from them.........................................yet.

I received the request approx 1 year after retirement

The question is, do you now get this form each year

It appears so as I get one each year from the UK pension service and from NZ work and income and up til now my local BK Bank manager has signed them.

My local lawyer wanted 3000 baht for one signature!!!!

I received the request approx 1 year after retirement

The question is, do you now get this form each year

It appears so as I get one each year from the UK pension service and from NZ work and income and up til now my local BK Bank manager has signed them.

My local lawyer wanted 3000 baht for one signature!!!!

3,000b! That's about the going rate for anything from the British Embassy - Robin Barstewards!

I've had problems with Thai people who will not sign anything. Try to explain what witnessing a signature means. It's as if they think you want them to guarantee a bank loan. The only hope is find someone eligible who you know personally. That's been my experience. Even the private hospital where I am registered would not sign. Crazy. Fortunately I now have a pharmacist neighbour.

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about. What was refused. Some other people seem to understand what has been said we'll I don't know how they can reply to such an obscure post.

When you are retired and receive one or several pensions, the organizations which pay them want to know if you are alive especially if you are expatriated in a foreign country. So they send you a document usualy once a year which must be signed by a person or a local organization which certify that you are alive.

I do it every year at the French Embassy.

Edited by LookChang

Actually I have no idea what you are talking about. What was refused. Some other people seem to understand what has been said we'll I don't know how they can reply to such an obscure post.

Do you think it is possible that those who have responded postively know exactly what the post is about and are probably from the UK or other countries that require a similar declaration of proof of life?

I guess you do not fall in that category?

Been with my local branch of Bangkok Bank for over 34 years. First opened an account there when I used to visit Thailand as a tourist and later fixed accounts when I came here permanently, the staff know me by my first name, I speak Thai and always have my accounts well stacked.

Early last year had to renew my British passport and on the form required a countersignature. No problem I thought, I`ll ask them at my bank. Took the form into the bank, asked if someone in there who knows me could counter sign the form and all I received was a cannot. No explanation, just cannot. After that I almost decided to close my accounts with that bank, but what`s the point I thought. In the end I asked a Thai friend who is a teacher.

Seems this is now a general policy of all the banks, not to commit to anything that is not directly linked to the banking business.

Not sure how new that policy is with banks here. I bank with Krungsri and moved across when HSBC sold their retail business to them. Most of the HSBC management moved across and have known me for over 12 years as a premier customer. In 2014 HSBC Expat wanted new copies of my current passport and POA, signed and attested. Krungsri wouldn't do it even though several managers know me and also know the managers at HSBC who were requesting it. Apparently the banks here will not put their chops on and witness anything even as simple as a passport copy.

HSBC UK now insist on a bank, which none here will do, a lawyer or the Embassy Consulate. Would not accept the other professionals who are allowed to sign passport applications.

It's becoming harder with less service and less common sense across the globe. All in the interests of stopping money laundering I'm assured.

I do it at French Embassy, it's free.

I cannot imagine the British Embassy doing anything for free, they rob you at every turn.

Their website says ThB 1500 per document - not sure if it's more now as E/R down; or if that's still the right price. It also advises lawyers can do it competitively and gives a list of recommended lawyers.

Not only won't they do anything for free, or even a reasonable price, they don't really want to be bothered either.

I just received the same form, my local Pharmacist signed it for me

Yes, Pharmacists are on the list among many other acceptable signees but I was asking if anyone else is getting refusals from Bangkok Bank.

I went to my Main Branch BKK Bank (where my pension is received) and asked to see the manager. I explained the form to her, showed her my Passport and Thai Driving license and she very kindly countersigned it for me and used both her personal and Bank stamp. In addition she also gave me her name card giving her position in the bank as well as address etc. So I have sent that too. Have to wait and see if this is acceptable.

However, I'm no stranger to this procedure since my company pension also asks for proof and I have previously used the 90 day report officer at immigration since he obviously knows me quite well by now.