AIS Fiber - anyone have recent experience?

nickbkk

45 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Those ping times look roughly correct for the server destinations involved.

But, I don't think I've ever seen those kinds of speeds posts (so fast) for international speed tests to the U.S. and Singapore.

Can't explain why... But color me skeptical.

Trust me, it's for real... Linux ISOs download so fast ;)

8 hours ago, eTiMaGo said:

:whistling:

5545878226.png

5545882443.png

5545887000.png

I literally could not be happier ;)

Best part is, never found any experience of bandwidth throttling, I used 3BB 100Mbps Fiber, before this, and if you used more than 50% of that between 18:00 - 00:00, they would clamp you down to about 25Mbps...

I've got the white ZTE modem, though I disabled the WiFi and use my trusty Asus router instead

You fail to mention which AIS Fibre plan you have.  If it's the AIS 50/10 plan the speeds above are bogus.  

The only AIS Fibre plan capable of above speed is one of their PowerPro plan, specifically their 1000Mb down / 200Mb up plan at 19,990/month plus 7% tax.

What speed plan do you have?   And you might also want to try the Testmy.net tester.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_pro.html

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not following you...

With Ookla speedtests, they're downloading and measuring the Ookla site's own designated speedtest download content -- not Linux ISOs. AFAIK, you don't get to pick your own DL content for use with Ookla speedtests.

It's an Internet joke as old as time... When someone is talking about large files of questionable content, they are invariably "Linux ISOs" ;) So I am saying that under normal usage/downloading outside of Ookla, I do see these kinds of speeds. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

You fail to mention which AIS Fibre plan you have.  If it's the AIS 50/10 plan the speeds above are bogus.  

The only AIS Fibre plan capable of above speed is one of their PowerPro plan, specifically their 1000Mb down / 200Mb up plan at 19,990/month plus 7% tax.

What speed plan do you have?   And you might also want to try the Testmy.net tester.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_pro.html

Interesting, they did have an intermediate PowerPro 500/100 package when we signed up!

maIGxPX1Q.png

Edited by eTiMaGo

Over the past week we had two AIS Fiber installs. Very impressed. The TV box is a budget, somewhat 'closed' Android box, but the picture is simply amazing.

which plan (speed, home, pro):     2 lines, both home, 50/10
what is the make/model of your router:     Huawei 8245H
how is the WiFI performance:     excellent on the Huawei, wire speed: 52/13, a bit slower on the Edimax unit: 32/8
did AIS give you the router username and PW and are you able to modify settings:     Yes, and Yes.
what DNS settings are you using: AIS, other:     So far, AIS
has anyone bridged a second router:    The Edimax WiFI unit is bridged via WiFi
how is the TV box connected to the router:     can be over WiFI or ethernet, mine is WiFI
were you happy with the installation process    Yes, very, professional, through, nice.
any issues with billing     N/A
satisfied with any CS interactions     N/A

I'll follow up with more details, but will spare the speedtest results.

• Like 1

I switched from 3BB fttx to AIS Fibre about 6 months ago, and it's so noticeable that the connection is much more stable than 3BB's. Also seems like throttling is far less worse than at 3BB. I also opted in for a 4G postpaid plan since I needed one anyways and it would give me 10% discount on my Fibre package. Their 4G speeds are also really good! (I get around 30/30)

If they keep the quality of their network like this I might stick with them for the long run :)

9 hours ago, eTiMaGo said:

I'm just worried once everyone finds out how good they are, they will just get overloaded, and start reducing their service instead of increasing capacity, which seems to be what 3BB did...  Let's hope not!

FWIW, AIS is heavily marketing, advertising, promoting this service, so it's not like we can keep it a secret. But your point is well taken, especially re: tech and customer support.

The AIS Play Box is actually a bit more open than I had thought. It's running 4.4.2, with 1 GB ROM/8 GB RAM (a budget Android device); with two USB ports. You can play anything off a USB stick/HDD. I added the Play Store, and then you can load any app there, even presumably Kodi. I'd recommend an air-mouse.

I have to say the WiFI on the Huawei unit is pretty impressive; I actually get slightly higher speedtest results using WiFi than wired.

Still working on changing WiFI channels and securing the units.

For some reason I get the feeling the AIS mobile and home internet boats are rising while the True and DTAC boats are beginning to take on water.   I just may switch/port my DTAC mobile number to AIS just as I have recently switched my  home internet from True to AIS.

VoIP seems to be working. I use two (2) Google Voice numbers, along with an oBI200 adapter, which can support up to four (4) GV/VoIP provider numbers.

The Huawei HG8245H can support VoIP, and has two (2) analog jacks. I can't seem to find the configuration sub-menu - it does show on the Status menu - but haven't messed around with it much. This may disabled via special a firmware load as AIS may be prohibited from providing this type of service?

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=1979642

Google to huawei HG8245H quick start  leads to a zip file.

According to the terms, the 10% discount works on prepaid or postpaid greater than 300 baht/month. For prepaid I assume they track something like subscribed packages, or top-ups, or usage? Our lines are linked to two separate postpaid accounts, and they wouldn't let us get two lines on one AIS account. Not sure if that was a misunderstanding, or affected the 10% discount on a second line?

Edited by mtls2005

What channels are there on the AIS Playbox service?  Most of the information I can find seems to apply to CTH channels which obviously won't be there anymore, or will disappear very soon.

How much English language content is there?

Looks like a pretty good deal at 799 baht (discounted) for 50/10 Mbps.

I think the (free) AIS Playbox channels are targeted at Thais, mostly Thai with ~ 5 "international/English channels. There are some premium channel/packages on offer as well. (The ~ 13 Rio Olympic channels are only available on a mobile device which has a SIM, even though they show up in the playbox program guide.You can probably find a decent list somewhere on line. The box and service are free. You could load stuff onto this box, like any Android box, to get (so I've heard) many channels. Personally I won't be using the play box much, preferring my own Android Kodi box, Chromecast, and TrueVisions Platinum HD.

I guess the point is that the playbox may be nice for some cord-cutting Thais, but not a reason alone to get AIS Fiber.

• Like 1

I'm getting AIS fibre because I'm seriously unhappy with my current ISP. It's 95% ok but tends to drop out for a few seconds several times a day. Not in itself a massive problem but when 80% of my TV viewing is live streams it becomes one.

Even if things don't improve I'm still going to get 3x the speed for not much more cost.

From what I can tell it's possible to side-load playstore and other apps so it'll probably go in the spare room while I use my own android box. :)

Edited by JaiMaai

"From what I can tell it's possible to side-load playstore"

I think I loaded the Play Store using the native browser, but forget exactly (it was yesterday). Anyway, I did it with just the standard box/app. There is an App Installer as well.

It's more or less an open Android Box, but not sure if it's rooted.

The remote is a pain, so an air-mouse will setting it easier.

• Like 1

I finally got Kodi set-up on the AIS Playbox (it is rooted, not that that is relevant), along with my preferred addons. I used my wireless (2.4) keyboard and mouse (the Playbox has 2 USB ports) from my PC to manage the set-up, then use an air-mouse for daily use.

The Playbox is conencted via WiFi to the AIS/Huawei fiber router (you can connect via ethernet as well, specs on the playbox say 10/100/1000; and the Huawei's ethernet ports are also 10/100/1000). Streaming full HD (1080p) is no problem. Also note that in side-by-side comparisons with TrueVisions, all of the same channels are much, much higher quality on the Playbox vs. TrueVisions.

So the streaming TV service (free) is good (the free streaming to mobile via AIS for the Olympics has been a total life-saver - just cast from a  phone to the TV), and the free Playbox can obviously do a lot more. Combined with the service itself, and impressive performance of the Huawei's WiFi sub-system (I get equal/better speed on WiFi vs. ethernet), I am happy.

Also happy.

Playstore easily installed along with iLikeHD, Kodi and a couple of other apps and all is good.

One minor little thing is that I can't seem to drag the status bar into view from the bottom (or top) of the screen. Not a big problem but that's how I usually get to the home screen when using a mouse. Any ideas. anyone?

10 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Also happy.

Playstore easily installed along with iLikeHD, Kodi and a couple of other apps and all is good.

One minor little thing is that I can't seem to drag the status bar into view from the bottom (or top) of the screen. Not a big problem but that's how I usually get to the home screen when using a mouse. Any ideas. anyone?

Are you using the remote which came with the playbox? What application are you running when you want to view the "status bar"? And what are you calling the "status bar"? The obvious solution would be to press the HOME key on the remote. You can use the remote's X-Y mouse feature, or the circle pad, to move around. Or if you're streaming something just press the three line key to pop up the controls.

I mean the narrow strip that has home, volume up / down and other icons.  Similar to this.

images.png

I suspect it's probably disabled in the firmware, though.

I agree it's easy enough with the remote but I also use an airmouse.

Those look like Android phone soft-keys for back, home and open apps. Home and back are on the remote, and most air-mice.

You could try a different launcher - you're not locked in to that funky tile launcher - there are a lot in the PlayStore; I'm trying a few including Nova launcher.

Tried a couple of different launchers already but no joy.

In the morning I'm going to extract the mbox settings apk out of my MXQ box. That had an option to force hide the status bar. Perhaps ì can use it for the opposite function......

Hey guys, how do I use Phone control option? On the Mobile Sync-Phone remote screen if I scan the barcode it brings me Lazada App from Google Play store. Probably mistake by AIS, but there are no more link or explanation to download it. Any idea?

4 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Barcode works for me, there is a URL as well, app installs, finds my playbox, works fine.

What kind of phone do you have? It may not allow the loading of apk's from sources other than the Playstore?

I've got Sony Xperia Z3, "Allow installation of apps from unknown sources" enabled. Maybe it happens cause my Playbox connected by cable and my phone by wifi? They mentioned both should be on same wifi network. Any outside link to get this apk?

Sorry that wasn't a URL, simply the IP address/port of my playbox.

The phone and the playbox must be on the same network, one could be ethernet, the other wifi, no problem, just needs to be the same network.

There's a gazillion "Home TV" apks, so can't find the one that is linked to the playbox. 

In the apps. detail it does say:

Home TV

version 2.0.1

but I can't find it on line. can't paste it here 22 MB

http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/support.html

Edited by mtls2005

9 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Sorry that wasn't a URL, simply the IP address/port of my playbox.

The phone and the playbox must be on the same network, one could be ethernet, the other wifi, no problem, just needs to be the same network.

There's a gazillion "Home TV" apks, so can't find the one that is linked to the playbox. 

In the apps. detail it does say:

Home TV

version 2.0.1

but I can't find it on line. can't paste it here 22 MB

http://www.ais.co.th/playbox/support.html

Is your phone controlling the box ok?  If you can upload the apk somewhere(Like sendspace) for me to download will be highly appreciated..:)  Thank you