Motorcycle rider killed in collision with U-turning pick-up

webfact

Motorcycle rider killed in collision with U-turning pick-up
Phuket Gazette

ut.jpeg
The motorcycle rider was killed instantly in the collision with a pick-up truck making a U-turn in front of Supercheap. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- A motorcycle rider was killed instantly last night when the bike she was on slammed into a pick-up truck that was making a U-turn in front of the Supercheap store near Heroines’ Monument on the road to Pa Khlok.

The accident occurred just after midnight, killing Myanmar national Jee Ngui, 26, and seriously injuring a man who could not immediately be identified. He was taken to Thalang Hospital, where he remains in critical condition.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Motorcycle-rider-killed-collision-Uturning-pickup/64183?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-08

Masterpiece of journalism:

was making a U-turn when his truck was hit in the right side by the motorbike

???

And the picture shows the pickup with an unharmed right side as you would expect wink.png

Looking at the remains of the bike it sounds plausible that the lights were off (if working at all).

Sad but true, another of many such accidents.

Happens so often on the countryside and no report will be written.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The vehicular activity and parking outside that particularly busy, larger than normal Supercheap is way out of order.

In fact the stretch of road, from Heroines to just before Supercheap, has eight lanes in total. Very often, on the Supercheap side, three lanes are taken up with parked cars and all sorts of shenanigans going on. And occasionally three lanes on the other side also.

Where are the traffic police? (Rhetorical question.)

Since the start of building this pearl business, this 500m stretch of the road is by far the most dangerous on Phuket. Saw by myself only in the last 2 years 5 u-turn accidents with 2 death there.

Building a real u-turn with lane division would be a easy solution.

???

And the picture shows the pickup with an unharmed right side

Ummm

1_20167811922730_BWOyHXqrrIXCCkgzRenLEdW

Looking at that photo the m/bike must have been travelling fast into the side of the truck. No idea what the m/bike driver was thinking.

???

Ummm

1_20167811922730_BWOyHXqrrIXCCkgzRenLEdW

Looking at that photo the m/bike must have been travelling fast into the side of the truck. No idea what the m/bike driver was thinking.

have you tried honking the people who live around that area? They will keep charging for your car.

The vehicular activity and parking outside that particularly busy, larger than normal Supercheap is way out of order.
In fact the stretch of road, from Heroines to just before Supercheap, has eight lanes in total. Very often, on the Supercheap side, three lanes are taken up with parked cars and all sorts of shenanigans going on. And occasionally three lanes on the other side also.
Where are the traffic police? (Rhetorical question.)

There are no "traffic" police as they are busy collecting the brown envelops.

???

And the picture shows the pickup with an unharmed right side as you would expect wink.png

Looking at the remains of the bike it sounds plausible that the lights were off (if working at all).

How on earth can you make the assumption the motorbikes lights were off, rather than the pickup was at fault? I have lost count of the times cars etc just pull out or U turn with no consideration at all to motorbikes. They expect bike to get out of their way.

The rider of that bike was going like a bat out of hell with winter green on their butt. I heard the bang and my house shook. I thought it was an electricity transformer blowing up, as we have had them do in the past. This and the area on the Cherng Talay side of Heroines Monument need some serious policing. Off to Chergn Talay you have the new road with two lanes converging into one just over a kilometer down the road. Every night or most nights some poor bugger meets a sorry end to their vehicle or life, as well as the road down to the Thalang Kajonkiat School, becomes a raceway. Many motor bike riders have come a cropper outside this school. Will this change? I doubt it.

???

How on earth can you make the assumption the motorbikes lights were off, rather than the pickup was at fault? I have lost count of the times cars etc just pull out or U turn with no consideration at all to motorbikes. They expect bike to get out of their way.

While I do agree with you the article does say the pickup driver said the lights on the motorcycle were not on/working

???

While I do agree with you the article does say the pickup driver said the lights on the motorcycle were not on/working

Ah! I missed that. But having lived here a long time, i would not believe a word.

???

Look at the picture again.

???

its true, very true. But if the lights were indeed not working it's easy to miss a motorbike at night. Guess we will never know because the smart phone pictures are all the evidence taken at a traffic fatality, very rarely is serious investigation ever conducted.

I wonder if no helmets again?

For forensic experts it is easy to find out if the headlights were working at the time of the collapse.

If the light bulb is broken due to the impact they will find molten glass remains of the bulb on the wire. Because when the lightbulb broke due to the impact, the wire is extremely hot that it will melt the glass shattered on it.

If the headlight wasn't working, there won't be any molten glass on the wire.

I doubt if the Thai forensic experts have this knowledge.

Edited by FredNL

For forensic experts it is easy to find out if the headlights were working at the time of the collapse.

If the light bulb is broken due to the impact they will find molten glass remains of the bulb on the wire. Because when the lightbulb broke due to the impact, the wire is extremely hot that it will melt the glass shattered on it.

If the headlight wasn't working, there won't be any molten glass on the wire.

I doubt if the Thai forensic experts have this knowledge.

I'm sure they know, I find it extremely arrogant to presume you know more that they do.

But I also think there will not be any forensics done

???

Bikes should by law be on the inside lane. In this case then no chance of colliding with a "U" turning vehicle. Unless maybe the bike was coming down the inside to also make a U turn but seems unlikely seeing the level of impact with the pick up.

???

Bikes should by law be on the inside lane. In this case then no chance of colliding with a "U" turning vehicle. Unless maybe the bike was coming down the inside to also make a U turn but seems unlikely seeing the level of impact with the pick up.

Law! Yes, written when? If you actually ride a bike here you will know it's safer to ride the European style. I am not sure the USA style. But i am taking no notice of you or the law regarding keeping my life safe.

No. Not building any U-turns at all would be an easy solution. I have no idea why Thailand has to have such a dangerous system. What kind of brain decides to have cars stopped in the fast lane waiting to make a turn? It's insane. In my experience of over 30 countries vehicles do not usually have to go way past where they want to turn and then go back again, so adding to traffic congestion as vehicles are forced to go in the opposite direction to where they want to go, often for several kilometres at a time. Maybe the traffic has to be separated in each direction so people with poor or non-existent driving skills don't drive into each other. But even that doesn't always work.

???

..check out the angle of the stationery pickup..(presuming it hasn't been moved after the accident)..the angle would suggest IMO that he has come from the store obliquely across the first one or two lanes into the U-turn gap...this action would cause the rider of the red bike to have to take evasive action and try to go around the pickup as it cut across them..with nowhere to go they smashed into the pickup..if speed was a contributing factor..which one would say it was..based on the the serious damage to the bike..then they probably slid on their sides into the under sill of the pickup...my thoughts for what its worth...RIP for the deceased.

No. Not building any U-turns at all would be an easy solution. I have no idea why Thailand has to have such a dangerous system. What kind of brain decides to have cars stopped in the fast lane waiting to make a turn? It's insane. In my experience of over 30 countries vehicles do not usually have to go way past where they want to turn and then go back again, so adding to traffic congestion as vehicles are forced to go in the opposite direction to where they want to go, often for several kilometres at a time. Maybe the traffic has to be separated in each direction so people with poor or non-existent driving skills don't drive into each other. But even that doesn't always work.

That would not work, people here when they miss their turn on an highway will stop and backup.

That would not work, people here when they miss their turn on an highway will stop and backup.

So they backup to their U-turn or fly-over. Would still make a fly-over much safer.

Maybe you are correct for 30 countries but about this location in front of the supercheap in Pakklok a u-turn with lane seperation 50-100m up the road is sure a good solution and only this matters.

Who cares what is a good solution for Burundi?

???

..check out the angle of the stationery pickup..(presuming it hasn't been moved after the accident)..the angle would suggest IMO that he has come from the store obliquely across the first one or two lanes into the U-turn gap...this action would cause the rider of the red bike to have to take evasive action and try to go around the pickup as it cut across them..with nowhere to go they smashed into the pickup..if speed was a contributing factor..which one would say it was..based on the the serious damage to the bike..then they probably slid on their sides into the under sill of the pickup...my thoughts for what its worth...RIP for the deceased.

There is no u turn gap..