Coming long holiday this weekend will see Thais spending over 5.7 billion baht

webfact

Coming long holiday this weekend will see Thais spending over 5.7 billion baht

599_UTCC-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The coming long holiday over the weekend will see Thai people spending more than five billion baht in religious activities, travels and shopping, according to the Center for Economic and Business Forecasting at the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce.

Centre director Thanawat Polwichai said as Thai people will be enjoying a long holiday in the coming weekend with the arrival of the Buddhist Lent and Buddhist Lent Eve, he predicted that the holidays will generate the highest cash flows in the country for a period of 5 years.

The prediction was based on a recent survey made to gauge consumer spending behavior during the 5 day Buddhist Lent holiday.

Mr Thanawat said that the survey strongly suggested that there will be a dramatic increase in cash flows during the period of almost 5.78 billion baht.

This will represent a 7.6% increase and is the highest it has ever seen in the country in a 5 year period, he said.

Such a high spending will come from domestic tourism which expected to generate on average 4,156 baht per person, or a 62% increase from previous survey.

For religious purposes, consumers’ spending will increase by a dramatic 59% or an average of 4,571 baht per person.

Mr Thanawat said further that the high spending is entirely due to growing confidence in the economic recovery.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/coming-long-holiday-weekend-will-see-thais-spending-5-7-billion-baht/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-07-15

I have been always fascinated by all those imaginary and rectum's originated figures and numbers,

I mean, you have all those talking heads that just let loose such numbers as they see fit and to impress

their bosses, I would love to be privy to the methods they use to calculate all those fantastic numbers

and figures......

And Thailand should pray that a large portion of that 5 billion baht is not on medical and hospital expenses following the hundreds of accidents about to happen.

Sadly we have had one already in our village. A middle aged guy drunk on his bike this morning died on SR. Really sad.

Where are all the Thais getting the spare cash from? It's not the end of the month, so many won't have their salary in the bank. Also, I thought economy was in turmoil and there was record household debt... Perhaps they are using their credit cards if they are not already maxed out...whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Where are all the Thais getting the spare cash from? It's not the end of the month, so many won't have their salary in the bank. Also, I thought economy was in turmoil and there was record household debt... Perhaps they are using their credit cards if they are not already maxed out...whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Lottery day tomorrow, they're all winners.

My calenders show the long weekend starting next week on the 19th. Not this week.

Your calendars are correct. Tuesday and Wednesday are the start of Buddhist Lent. So the government adds Monday as an extra holiday and add in Saturday (today) and Sunday and you have 5 days holiday.

How can a long weekend start on a Tuesday?

For religious purposes, consumers’ spending will increase by a dramatic 59% or an average of 4,571 baht per person.

Loan sharks ecstatic! In my village they announce the amount that every person donated to the Wat, no pressure there.

Edited by ramrod711

Loan sharks ecstatic! In my village they announce the amount that every person donated to the Wat, no pressure there.

Great advertising pitch for the 'sharks -

Are U a good Buddhist, will U be donating Bt. 4,571 to the wat this weekend ?

Oh, U don't have the money ! Don't worry we can help, U do want to make merit don't U ? !

So does anybody know if alcohol is being sold today at 7/11 etc.

You should run now, it will be sold until midnight.

Actually I *think* only Tuesday & Wed next week would be non alcohol days as those are the

Buddhist holidays

The weekend is just a weekend & Monday is just a gimme from the Head Cheese guy

80thb per person. wow!

I did my part : spend 400 B extra on my religion : food !

i did my part too and went for 5 large leos instead of the usual 4. that's an EXTRA 55 thb spent. i'm soooooooooooo hiso!!!! cheesy.gifburp.gif