Thai sex industry under fire from tourism minister, police

rooster59

Seriously? People take sex workers out on dates?

Wow.

That's what differentiates Thai hookers from their counterparts in other countries. They offer a full entertainment package, the "girlfriend experience". Without nagging or other undesirable tantrums. Although from what I've heard the industry has moved toward the western 'stick it in and be done within 30mins' business model.
If you think paying someone to pretend they don't find you distasteful is the same experience as having a girlfriend, you can't have had much luck with women.

I don't think the tourists much care about taste while on their two week millionaire spending spree on the other side of the world. A rented girlfriend for a few days at a time was pretty much the gold standard a decade or so ago. Many ended up marrying their temps. It's more rare these days.

It's a fascinating concept though. I can't even begin to fathom the levels of self-delusion necessary to enjoy such an arrangement.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? People take sex workers out on dates?

Wow.

That's what differentiates Thai hookers from their counterparts in other countries. They offer a full entertainment package, the "girlfriend experience". Without nagging or other undesirable tantrums. Although from what I've heard the industry has moved toward the western 'stick it in and be done within 30mins' business model.

If you think paying someone to pretend they don't find you distasteful is the same experience as having a girlfriend, you can't have had much luck with women.

Good humourous reply with a lot of truth to it...cheesy.gif .....The GFE is just a smooth-over expression of what is basically a trade deal....

I've always found it amusing sitting near a couple where the foreigner is on the same english level as the thai girlgigglem.gif

It's a fascinating concept though. I can't even begin to fathom the levels of self-delusion necessary to enjoy such an arrangement.

Well, what is it that they say .. don't knock it until you've tried it biggrin.png

Luckily, I have someone happy to accompany me to dinner or a movie without need for payment.

Very, very few people (if any) decide not to come to Thailand because of it's seedy reputation

So, if Disney allowed you to barfine Snow White at their theme parks, you don't think they'd lose some of their family visitors?

If you choose Cinderella, wait until after midnight - you'll get a substantial discount.

Well, what is it that they say .. don't knock it until you've tried it biggrin.png

Luckily, I have someone happy to accompany me to dinner or a movie without need for payment.

Sure, but you did say you found the concept fascinating. No worries, they do third wheels too, so you haven't missed out yet.

Sure, but you did say you found the concept fascinating. No worries, they do third wheels too, so you haven't missed out yet.

I do find it fascinating. It's intriguing to discover a group of people doing something you would never dream of doing, and that you can't understand why anyone would want to do.

Imagine you came across a place where a load of people went out in public with their underwear on their heads. You probably wouldn't do it yourself, but I'm pretty sure you'd be curious why they were doing it.

I don't think the tourists much care about taste while on their two week millionaire spending spree on the other side of the world. A rented girlfriend for a few days at a time was pretty much the gold standard a decade or so ago. Many ended up marrying their temps. It's more rare these days.

You could ask Peter Stringfellow or Paul McCartney next time you're in London, or even ..... dare I say it .... Prince Charles.

Here's Mrs. Merton asking Debbie McGee

Edited by MissAndry

I remember Singapore in the 60's, the infamous Bugis Street, and the government decreed that it would be cleaned up. Some tourists started going elsewhere, and Hong Kong was top of the list.

Hong Kong was apparently a wild place, over on the island in the Suzy Wong area. Then the government said it would be cleaned up, so some tourists started going elsewhere.

Now it's Thailand's turn to clean up, and no doubt there is an element of the tourism industry that will go elsewhere, probably Vietnam and the Philippines.

Whilst I don't condone the sex tourism industry, not for me, there are a lot of jobs involved, not just the hookers, but clubs, bars, restaurants, taxi's, hotels, etc. Think long and hard about it minister.

Some aspects of what you say about Singapore and Hong Kong are true concerning cleaning it up....but other than that, the trade, the industry, the whole affair of sex for money business is still there and flourishing all the more so.

Thailand just has far more of it and far more widespread ..seeing as Thailand it a much larger country than the both Hong Kong and Singapore combined.

And then there is the Philippines and then there is Indonesia and then there is China and Japan and well, everywhere you go you will find a varying degree of prostitution and ...it is 90 percent women prostituting themselves ranging from the poor boy price to the most expensive hookers and call girls in the world....while many of the traffickers and people involved running and organizing and managing and profiting from the sex for sale affairs and numerous interrelated business enterprises are WOMEN...just to be clear on that ..other WOMEN.

A very convoluted and contentious social dilemma if ever there was and no easy answers and no simple solutions while what we witness, in many aspects, is humanity at play ...the good ..the bad......and the ugly aspects of human sexuality

Cheers

That leaves the 2-3stars hotels, which are where most single males stay. In such hotels located in tourist destinations, it's about a 50%/50% ratio, with 50% groups and families and 50% single 30y+ men. I sincerely doubt, however, that travelers who can't spend more than 1,500 to 2,000 baht/night for accommodation spend a considerable amount of money while they are outside their hotel.

I have a 'friend' who spends 250-500bht a night on accommodation and 3,000-5,000bht a night on girls and booze.

This is correct. They are called two week millionaires as they basically save their money and holiday time for the annual Thailand free spending splurge. If one can party every night like it is 1999 why the heck not... biggrin.png

Folks mention the local P4P scene and yes it is larger; but in general the tourists pay higher prices, and when you figure in 1x or 2x daily for two weeks the numbers add up fast.

SL

Imagine you came across a place where a load of people went out in public with their underwear on their heads. You probably wouldn't do it yourself, but I'm pretty sure you'd be curious why they were doing it.

Fascinating, I reckon I would join. What I really don't get is people cramming into small spaces to sit on uncomfortable wooden benches and being shouted at and threatened with eternal BBQ and whatnot. Some seem to like that sort. Each for their own.

But I think you're on to something. Many have heard of Pattaya and it's shenanigans before coming to Thailand and are very curious. Few actually arrive and indulge. If you take the sleazy side of Thailand away, what I think will happen is they'll just keep on searching for other destinations. Being the world's brothel is a differentiating factor.

That leaves the 2-3stars hotels, which are where most single males stay. In such hotels located in tourist destinations, it's about a 50%/50% ratio, with 50% groups and families and 50% single 30y+ men. I sincerely doubt, however, that travelers who can't spend more than 1,500 to 2,000 baht/night for accommodation spend a considerable amount of money while they are outside their hotel.

I have a 'friend' who spends 250-500bht a night on accommodation and 3,000-5,000bht a night on girls and booze.

This is correct. They are called two week millionaires as they basically save their money and holiday time for the annual Thailand free spending splurge. If one can party every night like it is 1999 why the heck not... biggrin.png

He actually rotates 1 month Thailand, 1 month Philippines, 1 month England. So a little bit more than a 2 week millionaire.

He says it's cheaper than having a wife, and never any problems with them having headaches, or not being 'in the mood'.

Edited by MissAndry

@soi biker......................It's intriguing to discover a group of people doing something you would never dream of doing, and that you can't understand why anyone would want to do.

I'm sure that puts you in the minority soi biker....Prostituition is nothing new to man!...The thai model just throws in a free lunch before 'activities' begin..

Could be a form of foreplaywink.png

I mostly agree with Jacko, it's all part of the mix - along with temples, beaches, spicy food, ladyboys, shady characters, bad English, etc.- that differentiates Thailand from other destinations, gives it a certain "frisson", if that's the right word, and draws people here. I can never understand people who come to live here, then complain because Thailand is what it is.

There are good and bad points in every country, and Thailands good points far outweigh the bad.

Imagine how great Thailand would be if most of the average Thai people had even average intelligence.

What a racist comment.Imagine how great Thailand would be better off without you and your ilk here.

Nothing to do with racism. Thai IQ has been measured at nearly 10 points below that of the UK and US.

attachicon.gifkobkarn.jpg

This the Minister of Sports and tourism, Kobkarn Wattanavrankul. I believe she is correctly referred to as a woman.

Seen her talk to a roomful of senior hoteliers once. She got her projected tourist arrivals numbers completely muddled which resulted in a lot of puzzled looks that turned into exasperation when she started rambling on about a plan to promote mountain bike tourism for European 50-60 year olds in Lampang, Prae etc, which the hoteliers pointed out had hardly any suitable hotels to cater for them. She was born with a silver spoon in her mouth but is not the sharpest tool in the woodshed. Having been chairman of Toyota Thailand means nothing because her family's business is the passive partner of Toyota which makes all decisions itself. People say she is one of the most capable ministers in the Prayut cabinet which doesn't say a lot for the others.

Thats it. Bury your head in the sand that will solve everything. The main reason that this country is in a better financial

situation that some of the other south east asian countries is because of the millions of us dollars that was poured into

this country during the vietnam war, and why did they come here. Da. For the beer and the sex industry.

The U.S. also poured a lot of dollars into Vietnam, the wrong way, unfortunately... Edited by mpyre

That was me for years. I remember one time taking a woman from the Thermae to my room at the Miami. In the elevator she looked at me and said "Why you spend more money on woman than hotel?"

My answer "Priorities"

I've just returned from a two week stint in and around Bangkok - predominantly around the lower soi area of Sukhumvit. Of the bars I visited I guess I was in Nana Entertainment Plaza 3 times and this was to meet friends who had pre-arranged to meet up at specific establishments.

And to be totally honest some nights I did not bother to venture out but either read a book or caught up on collected media.

(The reason I mention that is because I would appear to be the classic profile of a sex tourist, white, 50's, single male traveller, etc. but I can tell you truthfully that if there is anything I find soul crushingly depressing it is a go-go bar. So much so that my tendency is to associate with the serving staff rather than the supposed eye-candy. Give me a bar any day.)

From these visits and other bars around the area to see acquaintances, both Western and Thai, I would say that the problem of venue based prostitution in this area soon may NOT be a problem The amount of venues with few or no customers in would unsettle me if I had connections to them. Add the fact that people were walking into some of these places and asking if and when Happy Hour occurred then you have a realisation that for many visitors the money factor is a big issue. As a consequence, those serving staff / bargirls, etc would be unlikely to be bought drinks, etc. thus ruining one of the objectives in working in a bar and so a cycle begins....

(And here I will go out on a limb. Whilst I realise it is the low / rainy season my prediction is that the high season in a few months time will see fewer people visit the "zones" than last year. Thailand is too expensive in relative terms and the economies of many nations have never really recovered from the 2008 Financial woes, regardless of what politicians say. I will hopefully be corrected on this in a few months time.)

Personally, if you removed prostitution from Thailand it would not bother me as a visitor and may actually improve my experience. My hotel was on soi 11 and a walk from there to my "local" on soi 7/1 was one long request for sexual services. All of which I declined. Outside the hotel, which now predominantly caters to those from the Indian sub-continent, were a myriad of massage girls, street walkers, etc. and one evening (thanks to thin walls and loud voices) I had the opportunity to listen to some Indian guy try to talk a price down from 400 Baht for a bareback full service. Luckily, the woman would not agree to this but did offer a bareback BJ at a slightly reduced price. Quality tourists indeed!

During this same trip I had occasion to visit the Dinosaur Park near Phrom Phong (soi 22) and realised that whilst the core visitors were Thai this was the type of attraction which would be needed if trying to tempt families into Bangkok/Thailand but on a far bigger scale and quantity. As others have said to break the cycle of prostitution you will need quality, well paying jobs and a decent welfare safety net should an individual hit problems. Both of which I cannot be easily solved in Thailand currently. You also need the means and availability of social movement but I guess given current conditions this is only available to many by marriage to some foreigner.

Worryingly and I work in the Tech sector, according to the Bangkok Post in the past 2 weeks, Thailand can no longer rely on its low labour rates to attract external investment due to the increase of automation and the introduction of AI technologies which allow companies to re-house their production base on to home territory. The given impact of this could extend to 12 million jobs within Thailand alone and I would guess the majority of these to be female. Given the current lack of welfare state and employment possibilities it is not difficult to see where some of these people may end up.

Contrary arguments I must say but in general I think the "in your face" sex scene is embarrassing the Thai people in charge who may wish to drive it away but due to economic pressure may allow loopholes or a more covert form to continue. And to survive many must adapt.

You picked an odd choice of place to stay if you aren't interested in the sex scene at Nana. Doesn't like hookers yet stays in Nana. Takes all kinds I guess.

Please let me explain. My vice, if I indeed have one, is alcohol and meeting up with friends to BS the night away, often whilst watching sport. Lower Suk was the area I first stayed in whilst in Bangkok in 2003 and it is an area I actually feel comfortable in due to the proximity of many people I know there or nearby. However, on my next trip I will be near the Iron Temple as I want to spend some time with my camera taking photo's of the unfamiliar which I have read about but have as yet to visit. But for the record, I will state here and now, I am not a Saint - just nowadays my interests have shifted.

Every time some jaded expat comes out with the cliched, sarcastic 'right, because people come here for the temples and the culture' response, it makes me smile. You're just showing yourself up for what you really are. Because yes, people do, as well as for the scenery, the food, the people, the fun activities, and the many other things that people love this country for. The fact that you can't find anything to like about it beyond cheap sex says more about you than it does about Thailand - and the fact that you remain in a place you so disdain in order to have sex with people who only tolerate you for your money is bordering on tragic.

There are many falangs who come here and form long-term relationships with Thai women, some of whom they meet in the sex industry. Why? Because they are fed up with the ball-busting bitches many Western women have become. Thai women appreciate men who are good providers, and are not abusive like many Thai men are.

You make me smile also. For a guy who by his own admission is happily married to a Western woman, and has zero experience concerning sex with Thai women, you do pontificate with considerable frequency on a subject you know nothing about. As does the good Minister. Perhaps you should consider a career in politics.

You've it clear before that you have a chip on your shoulder about farang women, so I'd expect you to judge me for marrying one.

Once again, this says more about you than anything else.

Yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder in that respect, with a lot of justification. And if you are happy with your Western woman, good for you.

However, once again you dodge the point I was making. You do shift ground more effectively than a D9 or Euclid. The subject of sex in Thailand attracts a large number of posts from you, mostly judgmental and without any personal experience.

I do wonder how solid your relationship is when you seem to spend a lot of your time haunting TV threads with multiple posts. Or perhaps this is the only form of entertainment left to you.

Although I believe she certainly has a point, I donot think it should be the priority of the minister of Tourism.

She has a host of other issues to sort out first, imo..dual pricing comes to mind for example.

If prostitution is affecting her ability to attract a huge group of tourists (families) and their sweaty tourist money, it should be a priority for her.

I know dozens of guys back home (USA) that will never see Thailand because their wives refuse to take their family on a vacation to a sex tourist destination.

I don't know a single family that chooses their destination based on a few bucks of dual pricing. Irritating expats? Sure. Influencing holiday destination decisions? Not likely.

And for the guy who's going to respond that he sees plenty of families traveling to Thailand- sure. But how many more would come if they didn't have to expose their kids to in your face sex?

I don't know about that. I think it has more to do with your friends lack of knowledge and not knowing what is here for there family.

Just in and around Pattaya you have the world famous Tiger Zoo and Crocodile Farm, Snake Farm and Elephant Show, Go Carts, Petting Zoo, Water Park with Big Water Slides and Gondola to the top of Pattaya Towers, Dream World in Bangkok for 2 days with plenty of rides and entertainment for kids, Condos with there own swimming pools, and of course sandy beaches and great winter weather.

When my daughter was younger she came to visit me quite a few times there and was never bored nor did she ever see Walking Street. I agree that Pattaya does have a tarnished image, but a lot of that is unjustified. The sex industry is not on ever street corner and like the 7-11 is. Depends mostly where you stay and where you go.

If you want to go on a holiday strictly for kids then in my day they went to Disneyland. I imagine they still do.

Although I believe she certainly has a point, I donot think it should be the priority of the minister of Tourism.

She has a host of other issues to sort out first, imo..dual pricing comes to mind for example.

If prostitution is affecting her ability to attract a huge group of tourists (families) and their sweaty tourist money, it should be a priority for her.

I know dozens of guys back home (USA) that will never see Thailand because their wives refuse to take their family on a vacation to a sex tourist destination.

I don't know a single family that chooses their destination based on a few bucks of dual pricing. Irritating expats? Sure. Influencing holiday destination decisions? Not likely.

And for the guy who's going to respond that he sees plenty of families traveling to Thailand- sure. But how many more would come if they didn't have to expose their kids to in your face sex?

I don't know about that. I think it has more to do with your friends lack of knowledge and not knowing what is here for there family.

Just in and around Pattaya you have the world famous Tiger Zoo and Crocodile Farm, Snake Farm and Elephant Show, Go Carts, Petting Zoo, Water Park with Big Water Slides and Gondola to the top of Pattaya Towers, Dream World in Bangkok for 2 days with plenty of rides and entertainment for kids, Condos with there own swimming pools, and of course sandy beaches and great winter weather.

When my daughter was younger she came to visit me quite a few times there and was never bored nor did she ever see Walking Street. I agree that Pattaya does have a tarnished image, but a lot of that is unjustified. The sex industry is not on ever street corner and like the 7-11 is. Depends mostly where you stay and where you go.

If you want to go on a holiday strictly for kids then in my day they went to Disneyland. I imagine they still do.

I highly doubt that guy honestly knows dozens of guys who want to come to Thailand because their wife won't allow it. Dozens, really?

"with authorities frequently accused of turning a blind eye."

Total rubbish. The authorities at all levels have a clear eye on it because of the amount of money it puts in their pockets.

As soon as she gives them a job that pays 1,000B a day for about 6 hours work, say 9pm to 3 am, a nice hotel to stay in with free food and drinks,

Then she may stop prostitution..... 55555

excuse me for pointing out the obvious but I'm sure you have 'paid' plenty over the years! unless you live in a completely 'dual income dual pay' family then one of the couple pays! everyone pays in one way or the other and I can assure you that 'paying' for pleasurable company is a lot cheaper in the long run! but reading your posts I know you will defend your position without regard and I understand that but... there are other lifestyles that don't really need your 'I am holier than thou' judgements.. if you are happy enjoy what you have and good luck to you and leave the rest of us freedom loving folk alone.

As a Thai friend said to me "who wants chicken every night"? I certainly don't

excuse me for pointing out the obvious but I'm sure you have 'paid' plenty over the years! unless you live in a completely 'dual income dual pay' family then one of the couple pays! everyone pays in one way or the other and I can assure you that 'paying' for pleasurable company is a lot cheaper in the long run! but reading your posts I know you will defend your position without regard and I understand that but... there are other lifestyles that don't really need your 'I am holier than thou' judgements.. if you are happy enjoy what you have and good luck to you and leave the rest of us freedom loving folk alone.

As a Thai friend said to me "who wants chicken every night"? I certainly don't

Yes I agree, I could have a sexy girl 3 nights a week and pay a bloody site less than it cost to have a wife for 25 years, that I was lucky to have sex with once a week, and that then ran off the week after I took her for a big over seas trip, and took half of everything.. I'll stick with the bar girls,, much more fun plus they from about 25 to 40 years old,, not 63 like my ex would be now,, hehe love it here..

I tend to think it's more a function of desensitization to it after living here a few years.

Sure, there are plenty of great things to do in Thailand other than sex. But that really doesn't matter if you have to pass a dozen kiosks selling dildos and porn and 3 or 4 lineups of street hookers strutting their stuff just getting from the airport to your hotel. And that makes the place a no-go zone for most families I know.

After 5 years, I don't even notice them any more. But I challenge anyone to spend a week in tourist Thailand without someone throwing sex in your face. Usually repeatedly. And regardless of how clueless they may be, a lot of tourists give Thailand a pass because of it- just like they pass on tourist areas with poor sanitation facilities. It's not the tourist's job to learn how to dodge the turds. Not when there's 100 places closer to home where the turds aren't even an issue.

Edited by impulse

Looking at post histories it's not surprising to find many of the pro-prostitute sexpats also share other views in 'common', ie: pro-Trump or pro-Brexit and/or pro-Thaksin, pro-gun even. Also many bang on about Thai xenophobes, yet back home are xenophobes themselves. It's somewhat ironic many are anti-immigrant back home, yet apparently it's ok for them to come to this country primarily to take advantage of economically disadvantaged young girls, usually young enough to be their own daughters (or younger).

Yes, the likes of Nana and other dens of desperation are on the wane as are the #s of equally desperate sexpats themselves. Might add, it's also nice it's becoming rarer to see a sweaty fat old sexpat groping his child-like 'rent a date' on the BTS as was prevalent a few years ago. All good.

Meanwhile, the 5 star hotels along the Choapraya etc are doing brisk trade with families and older couples, and young couples are enjoying holidays at guesthouses & mid range places at the beaches and up-country as well. Thailand's tourism and economy will manage just fine without desperate pathetic foreign sexpests thanks. However, if one's 'world' consists of Nana, or Cowboy etc, yes your world is fading fast and things will continue to become much bleaker for you. No wonder you lot are so angry all the time lol!

"In an attempt to diversify the industry, Thailand is starting a “month for women travellers” campaign in August, in which female-only pink immigration lanes and parking zones will be set up in international airports."

Feminism entering Thailand.

I would say she's talking rubbish / no way /impossible / ..., but if i see how strongly feminism changed western society, then i'm afraid that it's just a matter of time that feminism will take over thailand and other 2nd and 3rd world countries.

It's already infecting countries like India, Cuba, Brazil,... where women's rights movements inject the idea into women's minds that they have to stand up against men, that they have to put themselves on a pedestal.
We can also see that prostitution worldwide is under attack because of western influence.

In the Philippines for example we can see a clear sign that the government has started to cut the sex industry, by raiding bars in Angeles, and tightening the laws, e.g. about marrying filipina's,...

The further illegalisation of mongering, will just drive the sex market underground, and that will certainly lead to sex tourists being set up and blackmailed to pay off to regain their freedom. Some will be locked up and pictured in the newpaper to set examples. And so there will be made a lot of money from extortion, and that will be a new industry, of which locals and policement will cease the fruits... The locals will try to earn money anyhow, and so they will adapt to the laws enforced...
And also of course, the NGO industry will flourish...

Edited by freestyle